PDA

View Full Version : how many hooks can you use while ice fishing?

allenford
10-16-2009, 04:22 PM
I was told that you can use two lines while ice fishing but only one hook per line is allowed.

When I read regulation today it only says that you are allowed no more than 3 hooks per line when fishing?

So can I use two lines with two hooks on each line for ice fishing?

thanks.

hal53
10-16-2009, 04:24 PM
I was told that you can use two lines while ice fishing but only one hook per line is allowed.

When I read regulation today it only says that you are allowed no more than 3 hooks per line when fishing?

So can I use two lines with two hooks on each line for ice fishing?

thanks.
picked up a neat little booklet called "Alberta Guide To Fishing Regulations"...it's all in there....kind of handy item

allenford
10-16-2009, 04:28 PM
picked up a neat little booklet called "Alberta Guide To Fishing Regulations"...it's all in there....kind of handy item

thanks, I do have a copy in my truck but I have been fished one hook per line for years as someone told me, never thought about two hooks until today I saw soem pics of double headers when ice fishing.

bcboy
10-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Off topic a bit but just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.
I would LOVE !! to try ice fishing!!
Seen shows about it and man,looks like a blast. :D

mooseknuckle
10-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Off topic a bit but just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.
I would LOVE !! to try ice fishing!!
Seen shows about it and man,looks like a blast. :D

Well a few more months should be enough ice.... go for it.

WayneChristie
10-17-2009, 10:12 AM
great thing about ice fishing, you can take home as much as you want every time!!!

sco22
10-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Right from the regluations:

•Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.

Third point under General Sportfishing Regulations.

ULTRAlite
10-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Right from the regluations:

•Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.

Third point under General Sportfishing Regulations.

Correct... and...

It is unlawful to use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).

each line can have a max of 3 single hooks on it.

tatonkagp
10-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Ultralite I disagree, they don't have to be single hooked. I say a treble hook is a single hood with three tines. I think there is a lot of confusion with regards to this. You can have two hole with lines in per person fishing, and each line can have three hooks attached to it.

Duster
10-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree, I use 2 treble hooks on each tip up and have been checked lots and never no disagreement with CO's

allenford
10-20-2009, 08:21 AM
thanks all of you.

if you put two trebles on a tip up, I am just curious, is it easy to get snagged on ice edge under the hole by the other hook when you pull out a fish?

Geezle
10-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I agree, I use 2 treble hooks on each tip up and have been checked lots and never no disagreement with CO's

Yep, just like having a crankbait with multiple trebles :)

kostianych
10-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Correct... and...

each line can have a max of 3 single hooks on it.

this is not right.......why? because:

1. Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).

2. Hook – means a single-, double- or triple-pointed hook on a common shaft, and includes hooks attached to a lure.
(Note: some legal lures appear to have a hook with four points, but actually have two shafts each with two points).

ULTRAlite
10-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Ultralite I disagree, they don't have to be single hooked. I say a treble hook is a single hood with three tines. I think there is a lot of confusion with regards to this. You can have two hole with lines in per person fishing, and each line can have three hooks attached to it.

a treble is a single hook (it has a common shaft) - sorry for the confusion