PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about ultralight rods

Geezle
10-19-2009, 09:35 PM
So I was looking at TFH's website and see an ultralight reel on sale. I already have one that I got as part of and ice fishing combo, but I still want to pick up another ice rod and was thinking of getting this reel to put on it, instead of using my larger 2500 reel.

That got me thinking about ultralight rods. I've currently got a 6'6" medium action rod, and a 7' MH. Most of my fishing back in the day was with a medium action, and I just picked up the MH a couple months ago after I started going for sturgeon.

Anyway, I digress.

I was thinking if I've got a half decent UL reel, come next open water season maybe I should get an UL rod to go with it. I've heard that fishing...or rather the fight, on lighter gear is a lot more fun, and a little more challenging.

I know there's at least a couple people on here use UL setups quite often, but I'm not sure how common they are.

So in what situations would a person choose to use an UL setup over a heavier rod? Are there benefits to using a lighter setup aside from the challenge in the fight?

And finally what should I look at/for in an UL rod? I'm open to recommendations but probably won't want to spend a ton. Next open water season's quite a ways off so I'm not in a hurry :)

npauls
10-19-2009, 10:11 PM
I always use a light to ultra lite set up for walleye jigging all open water season. I find that with a small 5'6" ultra lite rod with a small reel and some 6lbs braided line and a 6-8lbs floro leader lets me feel absolutely everything down there. I have broke a few but most of that was my own fault or someone on my boat not actually the fish fighting me. You can get a cheap ultra lite rod for around $35 thats all I ever use and they work fine.

So ya in my opinion give it a try and see what you think.

huntsfurfish
10-20-2009, 05:51 AM
Another area in which they shine is to scale down your tackle. They cast light weight baits and spinners etc. much better.

Also if the average size fish is smaller they work well in that situation as well.

I have several from 5 to 6.5':)

Geezle
10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
I always use a light to ultra lite set up for walleye jigging all open water season. I find that with a small 5'6" ultra lite rod with a small reel and some 6lbs braided line and a 6-8lbs floro leader lets me feel absolutely everything down there. I have broke a few but most of that was my own fault or someone on my boat not actually the fish fighting me. You can get a cheap ultra lite rod for around $35 thats all I ever use and they work fine.

So ya in my opinion give it a try and see what you think.
Cool, thanks for the tips :) Just out of curiosity, if it wasn't from the fight, how did you end up breaking those ones off (just so I can try to avoid it)?

Another question that I'm sure is pretty simple...I see you like a slightly shorter (5'6") rod. Is there a particular benefit to a shorter rod when you're dealing with an ultralight? I know that longer is better for casting, but what about shorter rods?

Geezle
10-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Another area in which they shine is to scale down your tackle. They cast light weight baits and spinners etc. much better.

Also if the average size fish is smaller they work well in that situation as well.

I have several from 5 to 6.5':)

Ahh, now that could be useful...even with my 6' medium rod chucking light spinners can be a real pain!

ULTRAlite
10-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Love the UL gear. I like a variety of different rods depending on how / what I'm fishing. I have a 5' / 5' 6" / 6' and I've caught walleye, whiteys, small pike, and countless trout on all of them. My personal fave is the 5'6" one piece - can feel an eye mouthing the jig on the bottom. I run Fireline crystal 6lb in the summer, and I run 6lb mono in the winter, both with a flurocarbon leader.

Try it - Sure you'll love it :)

Geezle
10-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Love the UL gear. I like a variety of different rods depending on how / what I'm fishing. I have a 5' / 5' 6" / 6' and I've caught walleye, whiteys, small pike, and countless trout on all of them. My personal fave is the 5'6" one piece - can feel an eye mouthing the jig on the bottom. I run Fireline crystal 6lb in the summer, and I run 6lb mono in the winter, both with a flurocarbon leader.

Try it - Sure you'll love it :)
I was wondering how long it'd be until you posted in here :)

Since you use a few different sizes of rod I'll ask, in what situations does each size excel?

I know the one piece will be a little stronger than a 2 piece...are they more sensitive as well?:confused:

Chris84
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
I have a 5' UL I use with 6 pound fireline crystal, it's pretty versatile. Can use it for a variety of trout, or whitefish. I also bought a 5'6 light action rod that I use for pike. The fight is intense and you can feel a lot more.

If your in the market for an ultra lite definitely try to get a one piece. I don't have one but have used one and they are nice and sensitive.

Definitely recommend either light or ultra lite, it's a blast.

slingshotz
10-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I picked up a UL rod at the FH sales this year and I've been very impressed using it and the size of fish you can actually land with them. The best thing is how well it casts and the sensitivity, it actually feels more like fishing than brute forcing a fish to the net.

Doubt I'll ever use my medium rod anymore other than for big burbs, pike or dollies.

TroutHunter
10-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I have UL rods from 5' to 7' and I love them. I strictly use them for trout fishing on small streams and rivers , especially the ones that are just to narrow or brushy to fly fish. They cast 1/32 oz jigs or 00 mepps spinners with ease. They make the fight alot more fun as well. A 5'UL with 1lb line will make fighting even a 12" trout fun.

Just my 2 cents on ultra lite reels though. I use strictly braid on them with Flouro leaders. I find the spools are to small to use mono or flouro on , you end up with nothing but birds nest after birds nest. But I've never had a problem with Braid. I use 1lb - 4lb depending on the setup and I've never broke a fish off.

Badback
10-20-2009, 03:58 PM
I bought my first UL rod and reel this year and I wish that I had bought one years ago...It made a big difference especially with the perch and their tiny nibbles…The most important thing that I’ve been told and now have been experiencing is using a good line…as Trouthunter states the birds nest on UL with the wrong line are amazing

WayneChristie
10-20-2009, 04:28 PM
The most important things with ultralight is a good quality line, and probably most important a reel with a very good drag system. As long as you have plenty of line to counter a fish's long runs you always have the rod to act as a shock absorber so unless the fish wraps around something, you should be able to handle it. Just be prepared to lose the odd fish, but thats what keeps it interesting in the first place isnt it :D
Im up to 8 pounds for a pike now on my lightest setup, and next season Im going to beat that big time! got a 30 pounder waiting for me at PCR with my name on her!

Geezle
10-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I have a 5' UL I use with 6 pound fireline crystal, it's pretty versatile. Can use it for a variety of trout, or whitefish. I also bought a 5'6 light action rod that I use for pike. The fight is intense and you can feel a lot more.

If your in the market for an ultra lite definitely try to get a one piece. I don't have one but have used one and they are nice and sensitive.

Definitely recommend either light or ultra lite, it's a blast.

Is there a really huge difference between the light and the ultra? Both for regular and ice rods.

When I was at the big sale at TFH a little while back, I asked the kid about ultralight ice rods (for perch). He ended up setting me up with a combo, but I didn't realise until I got home that the rod was a light action, and not UL.

I'm still in the market for a medium ice rod, but I'm wondering if I should also get an ultra light as well. :confused:

npauls
10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
To answer your question on how I broke the rods.

The first one was broken from a kid that I took out on a trip ended up stepping on it while it was leaning against the side of the boat and snapped it.

The second and third ones were snapped by my brother in law both the dame way. They were my 2 favorite rods and when he had fish on he put the rod in front of him and then leaned over the side of the boat to get the fish and leaned right on the rods and snapped them. This happen within half an hour of each other. Needless to say he hasn't been on my boat since and if I do take him out again I will not be letting him use my gear.

Now for the question on the shorter rods.

I just find the feel of them nicer for me. I don't have to cast very far with them most of the time so they are a nice rod to have on the boat for jigging. Its like my hockey sticks. I have them pretty short to. More control when the rod tip is closer to you. Right now I have 4 rapala magnum 5'6" ultra lights from whole sale sports. I think they run $35 and they are strong enough for any walleye I have ever had on. Including the big brutes out at lake newel. They have a really nice feel, are pretty light, and I don't like to spend a ton of cash on rods since there is a good chance someone will break them anyways.

Nate

Beazer
10-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Actually one piece rods aren't as strong as two piece, 3 piece, etc. Might surprise a few folks.

Shorter rods are nice for boats when your jigging and you don't have alot of space.
Long rods are nice if you tend to cast alot or shore fish without worrying about trees.

I've got an Avocet II paired with a President UL thats 5 feet. have 10lb power pro, but tend to use Spiderwire 8lb fluoro on it. Going to be trying spiderwire's new fluoro braid next year!

Geezle
10-20-2009, 07:23 PM
To answer your question on how I broke the rods.

The first one was broken from a kid that I took out on a trip ended up stepping on it while it was leaning against the side of the boat and snapped it.

The second and third ones were snapped by my brother in law both the dame way. They were my 2 favorite rods and when he had fish on he put the rod in front of him and then leaned over the side of the boat to get the fish and leaned right on the rods and snapped them. This happen within half an hour of each other. Needless to say he hasn't been on my boat since and if I do take him out again I will not be letting him use my gear.

Now for the question on the shorter rods.

I just find the feel of them nicer for me. I don't have to cast very far with them most of the time so they are a nice rod to have on the boat for jigging. Its like my hockey sticks. I have them pretty short to. More control when the rod tip is closer to you. Right now I have 4 rapala magnum 5'6" ultra lights from whole sale sports. I think they run $35 and they are strong enough for any walleye I have ever had on. Including the big brutes out at lake newel. They have a really nice feel, are pretty light, and I don't like to spend a ton of cash on rods since there is a good chance someone will break them anyways.

Nate

Ah okay, so the breaks were just accidents, I follow :)

As for length, I'll probably end up looking at something a little on the longer side...maybe 6' or 6'6" since I'm typically shorebound :o

Geezle
10-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Actually one piece rods aren't as strong as two piece, 3 piece, etc. Might surprise a few folks.

Shorter rods are nice for boats when your jigging and you don't have alot of space.
Long rods are nice if you tend to cast alot or shore fish without worrying about trees.

I've got an Avocet II paired with a President UL thats 5 feet. have 10lb power pro, but tend to use Spiderwire 8lb fluoro on it. Going to be trying spiderwire's new fluoro braid next year!

I'll probably end up looking at a rod on the longer side, like I said before. I can always grab a shorter one later if I need and just swap the reel over when I want.

I definitely didn't expect the one piece rods to possibly not be as strong as their 2/3 piece counterparts. I'm assuming the advantage with the 1 piece would be sensitivity then?

And fluoro braided line?! I'm going to have to investigate this...I've got a couple reels that will be needing line soon.

Sidenote: I went by TFH today and was going to pick up that reel, but they don't even have any in yet!:huh:

Chris84
10-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Is there a really huge difference between the light and the ultra? Both for regular and ice rods.

When I was at the big sale at TFH a little while back, I asked the kid about ultralight ice rods (for perch). He ended up setting me up with a combo, but I didn't realise until I got home that the rod was a light action, and not UL.

I'm still in the market for a medium ice rod, but I'm wondering if I should also get an ultra light as well. :confused:

Not totally sure for ice rods (I only have a medium ice rod), but there is quite a difference between light and ultra lite regular rods. I have a light action uglystik with 14 lb fireline. Its 5'6 and I typically use it for pike and walleye. I can use larger lures with this setup, but it isn't great for casting small lures.

My Ultra Lite is an Abu Garcia Cardinal 100 5'6. It is way more sensitive. I have 6lb fireline crystal on it and I can use it to chuck smaller lures out. Its definitely not as sturdy as the uglystik but I don't plan on using any heavier line than I have on it now.

Both rods are rated for 4-10 lb line, but I have been using heavier than 10 lb line on the uglystik for a few years now and haven't had any issues. However, I know my Cardinal would have a tough time with any line heavier than 8 lb.

The lighter you go with the rod and line, the more challenging and fun it is.:)

Cal
10-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Well to begin with they are ultralight.... At exactly what point to you guys concider gear to be unltralight? Alot of guys are talking about putting 6lb line on an ultralight rig, to me thats not ultralight regardless of what the rod has stamped on it except for on largish pike. In my definition of ultralight if you are uisng line heavyer than 4lb many of the fish you are catching should weigh more than the line is rated for for it to count as "ultralight". Anything under 4lbs is ultralight to me with 4lb line being about right for trout and unltralight for pike and walleye. I think I actualy lose less trout using a light rod than a medium, the greater bend in the rod makes it harder for them to throw the hook.

ULTRAlite
10-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Since you use a few different sizes of rod I'll ask, in what situations does each size excel?

I know the one piece will be a little stronger than a 2 piece...are they more sensitive as well?

9/10 I use the 5'6"....

That being said, the shorter rod comes along when vertical jigging from a boat... just a little nicer for storage. It's also a 2 piece so I can throw it in the backpack easily. The longer rod is a little better at getting a lure out further - if say fishing from shore.

As far as one piece vs. two piece, I find the sensitivity is a little better with one piece, and like you mention, a little stronger.

Another thing to look for in a good UL rod is a very sensitive tip, but with some backbone for setting the hook. Make sure it isn't a wet noodle the whole way down to grip. :)

Beazer
10-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Fast action is nice.
The one piece is the best for sensitivity which is nice when your working with 4-6lb line, which is all you need with an ultralight setup. The only reason I could see guys going with a heavier line is just in case they nail a little heavier hog.

Geezle
10-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Well to begin with they are ultralight.... At exactly what point to you guys concider gear to be unltralight? Alot of guys are talking about putting 6lb line on an ultralight rig, to me thats not ultralight regardless of what the rod has stamped on it except for on largish pike. In my definition of ultralight if you are uisng line heavyer than 4lb many of the fish you are catching should weigh more than the line is rated for for it to count as "ultralight". Anything under 4lbs is ultralight to me with 4lb line being about right for trout and unltralight for pike and walleye. I think I actualy lose less trout using a light rod than a medium, the greater bend in the rod makes it harder for them to throw the hook.

Great post...definitely gives me a little more to think about :) I do have to admit though, I'd consider using 6lb just because I'm usually fishing in the river, and there's typically a lot of crap to get snagged on. I'm certainly not set on that though.

I've seen a couple people mention using fluoro leaders...What's the benefit of the fluoro leader with the light line? Are you able to buy the leaders or do you just get a roll of fluoro line and tie them up yourself?

Chris84
10-21-2009, 10:23 PM

Your right, obviously the lighter the line the more ultralight the rig becomes. However if you can't afford a whole arsenal of different rods, using an ultralight rod with 6lb line is versatile. It can be used for trout but is also good for pike and walleye. Myself, I have my two main spin cast rods, one for large pike and the ultralight for anything else, it suits my needs.

ULTRAlite
10-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I've seen a couple people mention using fluoro leaders...What's the benefit of the fluoro leader with the light line? Are you able to buy the leaders or do you just get a roll of fluoro line and tie them up yourself?

Fluro is just the most invisible line once in the water. If the water is clear or the fish are skittish this helps. I just buy a spool of berkley vanish... use it for my fly fishing tippet, and also as my leader for my UL setups. Alot of big game fisherman use the LEADER type of fluro in 30-50lb test for other reasons (abrasion resistance etc.) In the sumer I use a uni to uni knot for my fireline to fluro connection (goes through the guides when casting) but in the winter I use a micro swivel between the lines. Usually just a few feet.

Cal
10-21-2009, 10:39 PM
I understand that it is more versitile, but how is 6lb line on light action rod any more sporting than 6lb line on a medium rod? 6lb line on any rod is a little light for pike and a little heavy for trout. Unless you need a very light rig to cast very light lures I fail to see the point of buying one and spooling it up with line that would work just as well on your regular fishing rod.

ULTRAlite
10-21-2009, 11:37 PM
6lb line on any rod is a little light for pike and a little heavy for trout

Perfect for walleye :)

For small trout 4 lb test would be great. You certainly don't have to use 6lb test. The question was about rods though not line... and I enjoy using an ultralite rod for the feel, and the sensitivity, no matter what test line is on it. For me it has nothing to do with being more "sporting", just that I enjoy it more.

Geezle
10-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Perfect for walleye :)

For small trout 4 lb test would be great. You certainly don't have to use 6lb test. The question was about rods though not line... and I enjoy using an ultralite rod for the feel, and the sensitivity, no matter what test line is on it. For me it has nothing to do with being more "sporting", just that I enjoy it more.

Though the initial question was about the rod itself, I still appreciate input on the line...it's all part of the package, and there seem to be a couple of varying opinions :)

Since I don't have the reel yet line isn't a huge concern, but I do need to figure out exactly what I want to do with it soon.

I plan on using the reel through the winter but not sure on what rod yet. If it goes on my heavier rod, I may just spool it up with some 6-8lb mono, and replace the line in the spring, and if it goes on my lighter rod, I'll probably put on some 4lb-ish braided and just keep it.

Waxy
10-22-2009, 12:42 PM

This is news to me, I always understood the opposite to be true.

What are you basing this on?

Waxy

Beazer
10-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Can't remember where I read it, either a book or online.
But it has to do with the flex and the strength at the ferrule. But for some reason 3 joints is worse because there is too many joints.
This is for graphite rods, not glass.

Waxy
10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Can't remember where I read it, either a book or online.
But it has to do with the flex and the strength at the ferrule. But for some reason 3 joints is worse because there is too many joints.
This is for graphite rods, not glass.

Huh.

It seems to me the joint would be the weak spot, it always was on any two piece I've owned. They have gotten a lot better lately though.

I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything either way, but I did give up in about 5 mins lol. :D

Waxy

ULTRAlite
10-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Huh.

It seems to me the joint would be the weak spot, it always was on any two piece I've owned. They have gotten a lot better lately though.

I did a quick Google search and couldn't find anything either way, but I did give up in about 5 mins lol. :D

Waxy

That's what I've always understood as well. I did a google search "one piece vs. two piece fishing rods" and came up with a few links that supported the one piece being more strong - but you can't always trust what you read on the net :innocent:

Here's one of them...
LINK (http://www.myoutdoortv.com/thundermist/which-type-of-fishing-rod-you-should-be-using.html)

Never seen it actually tested before though so I can't say for sure. :)

Beazer
10-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I agree, it goes against logic.
Maybe its more of a two piece being able to flex more as opposed to being stronger?
I'll see if I can find out where I read it.

Chris84
10-22-2009, 07:06 PM
I understand that it is more versitile, but how is 6lb line on light action rod any more sporting than 6lb line on a medium rod? 6lb line on any rod is a little light for pike and a little heavy for trout. Unless you need a very light rig to cast very light lures I fail to see the point of buying one and spooling it up with line that would work just as well on your regular fishing rod.

I understand what you are saying, but if you read my second post I specifically said that the lighter the line and rod, the more fun and challenging it is. I also said that I use 6 lb line with an ultralight rod because I can chuck smaller lures out.

mihumdul
10-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.

Waxy
10-23-2009, 08:56 AM
I agree, it goes against logic.
Maybe its more of a two piece being able to flex more as opposed to being stronger?
I'll see if I can find out where I read it.

I did come across one article that dealt with the flex issue. It was related to fly rods, but the basics of it are this -

They used a mechanical device to slowly bend several rods and measure the "flex" of the rod as it was loaded. The results came out as a graph, and were very straightforward. The one piece rods always had better flex characteristics (smoother) as the rod blank is continous. The two or more piece rods had definite "shift points" along the flex curve whenever a joint was encountered.

Interesting, but nothing that common sense wouldn't tell you. I'll see if I can dig it up again some time today.

Waxy

Geezle
10-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Well, I picked up the reel today. I had them put 100yds of 6lb Fireline on it with some 12lb mono backing. It should make a nice little ice fishing reel to begin with, and I'll probably get a light or ultralight rod to go with it in the spring :)

Oh yeah, this is the reel... http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3865638&enlargeSkuz=25753 Nothing fancy but it should do the trick for now :)

Thanks for the advice everybody :wave:

WayneChristie
10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
should do the trick. dont hope for ice too quick tho, I want to get out a couple more times :D

Geezle
10-28-2009, 10:15 PM
should do the trick. dont hope for ice too quick tho, I want to get out a couple more times :D

I'm definitely not hoping for ice, but I wanted to grab that reel while it was on sale :)

I actually hit the river for just a couple hours this afternoon...only managed a couple suckers but something > nothing :)

WayneChristie
10-28-2009, 10:20 PM
when you get the ultralight setup you will even have fun catching the suckers, I know I used to before they banned bait in Calgary, used to get some pretty big ones. Hey a fish is a fish, I dont care what kind they are, still fun to me :D

Geezle
10-29-2009, 06:18 AM
when you get the ultralight setup you will even have fun catching the suckers, I know I used to before they banned bait in Calgary, used to get some pretty big ones. Hey a fish is a fish, I dont care what kind they are, still fun to me :D
That's right! When almost everything is C&R it doesn't really matter what I catch as long as it puts up a bit of a fight :)