PDA

View Full Version : Wabamun Powerplant

fish-man
10-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Anyone know if- or when- the Wabamun power plant is shutting down?

Also, anyone know if the shore fishing there is any good yet?

triple b
10-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Supposedly the last running unit(4) is to be shutdown in 2010.

castaway
10-23-2009, 07:08 PM
i caught some fairly big pike in the first canal by the power plant (on the left hand side of the road) a few years back before the oil spill. used a big Blue Fox Pixee spoon. it was awesome catching 5lb slough sharks 10 feet from the shore. good luck

seahawkfisher
10-23-2009, 07:41 PM
5lbers?

get there @the right time of the year, @ the right time of the day and you can catch pike that'll eat 5lbers, from shore.

let us know how it's going out there if you go.
cheers

fish-man
10-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Amen to that, Seahawk fisher. I caught one recently that was at least 15 lbs and it had big bite-marks on it!!

Fishing is good out there right now, pike were coming right into the shallows to chase minnows.

fish-man
10-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Amen to that, Seahawk fisher. I caught one recently that was at least 15 lbs and it had big bite-marks on it!!

Fishing is good out there right now, pike were coming right into the shallows to chase minnows.

Edit: Got a 20 pounder (I think, didn't have a scale) today:)

castaway
10-27-2009, 07:40 PM
congrats to you both. i live down in the Hat' now and haven't been there for years. it was great hauling in (what i thought) were pretty big pike in a little canal off the power plant. cheers:)

sdimedru
10-28-2009, 05:02 PM
is there easy access to those canals?
is it legal to fish along the inlet/outlets or is that private property?

I drove by once and couldn't find any easy access, assumed it was off limits.

thx

fish-man
10-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Strange day down at the canal today. The really big girls weren't biting today, but I was catching 5-12ish pound fish almost at will. And while I was playing one fish, another one (free-swimming) one ran right into my boot, in about 4 inches of water! It was crazy. The fish were all playing possum too, they came in like logs and then freaked out when you grabbed them, tore some of my leaders to bits.

I also saw a pike swimming around with its head poking up out of the water, like it was trying to see over the water level. Never seen anything like it, I wonder if he was tangled in something or if this is normal behavior.

I also learned a handy safety tip today: when using quick strike rigs, don't get yourself hooked to an angry pike!

seahawkfisher
11-01-2009, 09:44 AM
the big hens are pretty picky; they have been hanging around there for a long time... if the whites are spawning, most of the 20+'s will be pretty full for a while
cheers