PDA

View Full Version : North Saskatchewan River

armymike24
10-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I was reading in an old copy of AO that the North Saskatchewan River, in and around Edmonton, can be the spot for some decent walleye action around this time of year.

I've never fished it and was wondering if anyone knows if the water is too low this time of year to bother launching a boat and maybe fishing from shore is the better way to go.

I'm on vacation until into November so if anyone has any other spots within a couple hours of Edmonton that are good in the fall I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.

Mike

pdfish
10-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I was reading in an old copy of AO that the North Saskatchewan River, in and around Edmonton, can be the spot for some decent walleye action around this time of year.

I've never fished it and was wondering if anyone knows if the water is too low this time of year to bother launching a boat and maybe fishing from shore is the better way to go.

I'm on vacation until into November so if anyone has any other spots within a couple hours of Edmonton that are good in the fall I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.

Mike

What kind of boat?? If its a jet, shouldn't be a problem. if its a prop job, don't even think about it.

627 West, RR 33 south to river, walk downstream 80 yards, cast out, catch walleye, post pics.

Fishfinder
10-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Search the forum for Edmonton and u will find lotsa good info I am sure. I fish the S.S.R. and the walleye fishing is pretty good right now! Good luck, enjoy ur vacation!:)

armymike24
10-21-2009, 05:04 PM
It's a prop boat. I just read on another site that it's probably not a good idea. I guess I'll go from shore.

I'll try following your route and see what happens. I'll post pics if I get anything interesting.

Thanks.

gallileo
10-22-2009, 12:39 AM
627 West, RR 33 south to river, walk downstream 80 yards, cast out, catch walleye, post pics.

I started fishing on NSR this August, and my favourite two spots are 1km downstream of AHD bridge and Fort Edmonton Park. Main reason I fish there is that one is within walking distance of my home and the other is few minutes distance by drive.

Mostly I go out fishing after supper and spend two or three hours maybe two or three times a week. So far I caught six walleyes, one pike and one sucker(maybe). That means there were more days that I got skunked than I caught one, but I am quite happy with my record because this is my first year of fishing in my life and the fish I caught are quite decent in size.(every fish I caught is more than 40cm or 16inch long.)

However, whenever I hear that someone says here he or she caught more than dozens of fish a day, I am jealous.

So, I will try a new spot pdfish recommend this weekend, and I will post lots of pics.

:)

greylynx
10-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I started fishing on NSR this August, and my favourite two spots are 1km downstream of AHD bridge.

How do you get to the AHD bridge? Do you park along the freeway?

Also, Have you tryed Terwilliger Park?

gallileo
10-22-2009, 12:48 PM
greylynx:

I usually cycle or walk from home to there because the river is nearby home. There is a newly paved trail along altalink powerline right of way. So, I use the trail not my car.

As far as I know, there is no palce to park near the bridge. I saw some people park right off the highway, but I don't think it is legal. However, if you don't mind about 10 minutes' walk, there is a small college in Haddow area.(sorry, I don't recall its name). You can park on Hector road near the college and 10 minutes walk on tail, then you will see the river.

I haven't tried Terwillegar Park yet because there are too many dogs there, but I will try it next spring maybe.

Cheers.

eman05
10-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Hello Everyone,

Just joined the forum and looking to learn more about fishing Alberta. I just moved to Edmonton from Victoria, and I realized that the NSR might cure my fishing withdrawal. Im excited at the prospect of new fishing destinations, different fish, and new techniques.

Ive been fishing worms because i dont know any better and catching a few Goldeye and some Sucker fish by Rossdale. That however was a month ago when it was hot. Its Oct 22, getting colder, and was wondering, what fish are still around, and what would be the best bait/lures/techniques for a shorecaster this time of year?

thanks!
Eman

allenford
10-23-2009, 02:01 PM
does anyone still catch sucker, goldeyes from NSR this time of the year?

buckmaster
10-23-2009, 02:22 PM
lots of suckers near fort sask:D

fish-man
10-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Most of the North Saskatchewan anglers seem to use worms or minnows on either a pickerel rig or under a bobber. Works well and doesn't cost much when you inevitably catch a log or something.

~Octane~
10-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Catching suckers right now in the NSR is like jigging from a hole in the roof of a stocking truck for rainbows....i'm sure you get the point:lol:

Yo Buckmaster....i just sent ya a PM.

Geezle
10-23-2009, 09:09 PM
lots of suckers near fort sask:D

How've the walleye been out there? Going to be working all weekend but I'm hoping I can get out one day next week, or on the weekend at least.

ghostguy6
10-23-2009, 09:30 PM
I pulled 7 walleye out of the NSR last weekend, most were in the 20" range but did manage to pull out a 26' er weighing about 8 lbs.

I was out there today and caught nothing, not even a bite. Even had a hard time catching the weeds:confused:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs259.snc1/10618_159979971668_611586668_3285401_5021704_n.jpg