PDA

View Full Version : Animals on the Bow

notagoodtroutfisher
10-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi all,
I fish alone alot on the Bow downstream of the city. There are alot of tracks on the river banks this time of year (bear,big cats). Like alot of other people, I get spooked when I'm by myself. I know that the best way to fix this is to fish with someone else.
I usually carry a whistle and bear bangers when I can find them. Any other suggestions to scare off something looking for a quick lunch??
Thanks

Fishfinder
10-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Got a dog?:D:D:D

Grizzled
10-21-2009, 05:09 PM
TAKE A FAT GUY FISHING...CAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE TO BE ABLE TO RUN FASTER THAN THE SLOWEST GUY...:lol:

jrcw
10-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Bear spray won't keep a bear from coming anywhere near you, but it will stop one from continuing with a charge or attack.

WayneChristie
10-21-2009, 06:01 PM
take your mother in law fishing, if an animal comes after you trip her and run like h#ll

notagoodtroutfisher
10-21-2009, 06:29 PM
hahaha Good advice. I think i will invite my boss. He's a little heavier than I am. I could out run him for sure

DANOMAN
10-21-2009, 07:33 PM
I fished the bow for 30 years below the city of calgary policemans flats at the mouth of the highwood never seen bear or cats but i did see bigfoot once lol oh and elvis was fishing there once too if i recall !! don't be so paranoid fish and have fun your worried too much !!! you'll get the grey fishing hairs that way!! :D:scared:

jts1
10-21-2009, 10:08 PM
I have done my fair share of back woods fishing. More times than not a animal will hear and smell you long before you know its there. Not worth letting it ruin a day on the water just enjoy the fish

Kingfisher
10-22-2009, 01:37 AM
I was fishing at the Deerfoot bridge on Tuesday. We were just upstream. Lots of bear scat along the trail. Be carefull out there guys.

Rob

tbone616
10-22-2009, 07:13 AM
I was fishing at the Deerfoot bridge on Tuesday. We were just upstream. Lots of bear scat along the trail. Be carefull out there guys.

Rob

Are you sure it wasn't from the Hobo's?:)

DANOMAN
10-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Some guy's dog !! :):wave:

DarkAisling
10-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm surprised you two (notagoodtroutfisher and kingfisher) are finding bear scat where you are. Makes me really freakin' nervous.

I just thought of something . . . what are you going to do when you become a good trout fisher, notagoodtroutfisher? You're going to have to rethink that handle ;)

Kingfisher
10-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Are you sure it wasn't from the Hobo's?:)

DANOMAN Some guy's dog !!

Funny thing guys is that I'm not only a fisherman. But have hunted for many, many years. I have spent a lot of my 48 years on this earth in our forests of Western Canada. I've seen my share of bears and I've seen my share of bear $ hit. I have also owned several dogs. I've picked up dog crap from these dogs for over 25 years.

So I'd say I have a pretty good idea of what dog crap and bear crap looks like. What I saw wasn't dog crap.

Rob, the crap authority.

TreeGuy
10-23-2009, 12:16 AM
I guess that would make you 'King Chit' then! jk:lol: Be safe out there folks. Just 'cause you're near the city don't mean there ain't critters out there.

Tree

mooseburger
10-23-2009, 05:05 AM
I guess that would make you 'King Chit' then! jk:lol: Be safe out there folks. Just 'cause you're near the city don't mean there ain't critters out there.

Tree

'King Chit' ........Bad joke, this guy is just stating what he observed and you guys "CRAP" all over him........just another way of hi-jacking this guys thread if ya ask me.........cut him some slack.

notagoodtroutfisher
10-24-2009, 06:49 AM
I'm surprised you two (notagoodtroutfisher and kingfisher) are finding bear scat where you are. Makes me really freakin' nervous.

I just thought of something . . . what are you going to do when you become a good trout fisher, notagoodtroutfisher? You're going to have to rethink that handle ;)

I will never be good enough haha. I will make you a deal, when I catch 50 on the bow in one day i will change it

seahawkfisher
10-24-2009, 09:07 AM
havent seen any big cats but i did see 2 HUGE owls in the forrest by chaparal one time, hiking down to the river.
cheers

WayneChristie
10-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I will never be good enough haha. I will make you a deal, when I catch 50 on the bow in one day i will change it

I had days in Calgary when I was flyfishing, had over 100 trout on my fly! Managed to land about 3 of them, maybe I should have used your handle :lol:

notagoodtroutfisher
10-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I had days in Calgary when I was flyfishing, had over 100 trout on my fly! Managed to land about 3 of them, maybe I should have used your handle :lol:

WOW.....100 trout all on one fly. what lb test were you using . hahahaha:lol:

Sir. Kenneth
10-24-2009, 01:19 PM
TAKE A FAT GUY FISHING...CAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE TO BE ABLE TO RUN FASTER THAN THE SLOWEST GUY...:lol:

LMAO
My cousin said the same thing when we were fishing in K-country this past summer... (im 320 lbs), he said he'd slap a steak on my ass and book it. I said i'd take of my shirt and start chasing him then the bear would think another bear was trying to eat him and see if he couldn't get to him first :wave: