PDA

View Full Version : Boat motor winter storage

LeonH
10-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Just wandering if a person needs to do anything special on smaller outboards for storage. I was thinking of removing my 9.9 from the boat and taking it to the basement for the winter.

I had never had smaller motor until now so I am new to this.

Thanks in advance.:wave:

jusfloatin
10-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Reguardless of whether it is a 2 or 4 stroke it is recomend to winterize your outboard. If properly done it can stay out for the winter.

I would never bring anything into my house that did have or even something that did not have gas in it.

What do you have?

seahawkfisher
10-26-2009, 09:26 PM
best thing to do IMHO, is to choke it out with seafoam on your last outting, make sure all the water drains out, and change the oil in the leg. if it's a 2 stroke, you could get away with just draining the water from it and doing the leg; it's good to fog the carbs (with seafoam or equivalent) but if you've never had any issues with moisture in your fuel, not fogging will just make it harder to start for the first time next spring.
cheers

LeonH
10-26-2009, 09:31 PM
My new boat has Johnson 9.9HP two stroke outboard. This is my second boat, the first had two stroke 50HP outboard that I used to have winterized before winter. This is a lot smaller and lighter so I was wandering if it would be good idea to remove it and store it in the grage or basement.

I will probably winterize it anyways.

Leon