PDA

View Full Version : mercury outboard power chips?

npauls
10-27-2009, 01:12 PM
I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about these mercury outboard computer chips that I have been hearing people talk about?

I just picked up a 1999 alumacraft 165 magnum single console with a 40 hp merc 4 stroke of the same year. I am looking to get more power and pick up out of the motor that is on there. I was gonna start by getting a new prop and a hydrofoil. I have also heard you can chip this motor just like a truck or car. If that is the case then I should be able to get plenty of power out of my motor by adding all 3 options.

If anyone knows where I can get one, how much they are worth, and if they are worth it, It would be greatly appreciated.

Nate

PoorTurtle
10-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Don't know much about them but here is a link.
http://www.brucatosvs.com/
I dont think I would try it on my merc.

Waxy
10-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Npauls, unfortunately, I don't think you'll find any chips or performance upgrades for your outboard. Performance shops don't target the low HP four stroke outboards. re you sure your 1999 is EFI?

Also, I think you'd find any upgrade cost prohibitive compared to simply repowering the boat, not to mention the potential decrease in reliability that always comes with modifications...

Waxy