PDA

View Full Version : Bow River Hatch Charts

DarkAisling
10-27-2009, 04:44 PM
There are an abundance of hatch charts for the Bow online. What's the most reliable one?

I'm planning on tying up my flies in the order I'll be using them, starting in May. I want to make sure I don't waste my time, or my materials, in following the wrong hatch chart.

fishstix
10-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi D.A.
I dont know of any "reliable" hatch charts, but i do know a few good all season flies for the Bow. Try Wooley buggers. Black or green and the san juan worm. A prince nymph is also a must have for the bow. These flies are all simple to tie.
Fishstix!!

Cowtown guy
10-27-2009, 07:59 PM
There are an abundance of hatch charts for the Bow online. What's the most reliable one?

I'm planning on tying up my flies in the order I'll be using them, starting in May. I want to make sure I don't waste my time, or my materials, in following the wrong hatch chart.
I'd start with BWO's although the warmer weather finishes them off. I have had some of the best luck on cold cloudy days in April. Move to March Browns. Try some Caddis in about 5 sizes from 18 thru to 10. Then the Stones and PMD's. After that the terrestrials. Of course you want above and below water versions of each.
There are so many bugs on the hatch chart that are really only different by name and the time of year they hatch. The shape of a mayfly is pretty close no matter the species in a quick moving river like the Bow. By carrying a few different sizes of these I mentioned then you are covered all year. I pay attention to the size first, then the color.

DarkAisling
10-28-2009, 08:17 AM
The "Country Pleasures" hatch chart indicates the following for BWOs:
» CDC biot comparadun #18
» Quigley’s loopy cripple #18
» CDC loop wing emerger #18, 20
» Trina CDC budding emerger #18
» BWO sparkle dun #18

And the following for streamers:
» C/Head R/Leg Bow River Bugger #4, 6
» C/Head Kiwi Muddler #2, 4, 6
» Clouser #2, 4
» Geek Leech #4, 6
» Hot Flash Minnow #2, 4

Does that look about right? I've tied a bunch of Wooly Buggers. They aren't great, but they seemed like a good starting point. I have some Clousers and some Bow River Buggers, so I've got something to work off of for those.

I have some BWOs that were simply identified as "BWO" when I purchased them, so I'm not really sure if they're one of the patterns listed or not.

Cowtown guy
10-28-2009, 09:47 AM
The "Country Pleasures" hatch chart indicates the following for BWOs:
» CDC biot comparadun #18
» Quigley’s loopy cripple #18
» CDC loop wing emerger #18, 20
» Trina CDC budding emerger #18
» BWO sparkle dun #18

And the following for streamers:
» C/Head R/Leg Bow River Bugger #4, 6
» C/Head Kiwi Muddler #2, 4, 6
» Clouser #2, 4
» Geek Leech #4, 6
» Hot Flash Minnow #2, 4

Does that look about right? I've tied a bunch of Wooly Buggers. They aren't great, but they seemed like a good starting point. I have some Clousers and some Bow River Buggers, so I've got something to work off of for those.

I have some BWOs that were simply identified as "BWO" when I purchased them, so I'm not really sure if they're one of the patterns listed or not.

Everything there will work. Are you new to flyfishing and tying? The reason I ask is that some of these are pretty hard to tie if you're relatively new. I'm not saying you can't do it. Don't get me wrong. Its just a little harder with some techniques.

DarkAisling
10-28-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty much as green as one gets. I do have a lot of experience making jewelry, doing fine needlework, sewing, and a bunch of other crafty endeavours.

I've no doubt it'll be challenging, especially with hooks as small as 18s and 20s. I'll have to start bigger and work my way down. If they turn out really crappy I'll buy some, but I'd like to attempt them at least :)

Cowtown guy
10-28-2009, 11:00 AM
The smaller your hands the better. If you have done small crafts before you'll be fine. I would skip anything with deer hair for now and concentrate on form. Everything has to be proportioned correctly or the fly can't be tied and still look like a fly.
Fish Tales has courses all winter and are pretty decent. If that isn't in the budget then the Hook and Hackle club is an option. I could throw in a few lessons too but I'd have to clear it with the wife first.:D I actually love teaching people to tie. PM me if you want more info. I could talk flies for hours but I don't type real well.

DarkAisling
10-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately, I've got pretty big hands. It can make some things difficult, but not impossible.

Louise at TFH told me about the Hook and Hackle Club. The Wednesday meetings don't work well for me . . . the weekends would be so much better. I might give it a shot once our family's health improves . . . we've been sick for most of a month.

Kingfisher has agreed to teach me a few things too . . . as soon as we're healthy again. It would be nice to have the input from a few different people. My oldest boy has decided he'd like to try tying flies too. I just need to get another vise.

WayneChristie
10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
starting to see why I chuck hardware? LOL I tie sometimes too, it can be fun, but dont have enough time to do it regualrly.

Cowtown guy
10-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Well if you and the boy are interested he can use my vice if you want some pointers. I have 100's of flies and probably don't need to tie for a couple of years. Seriously if you want some pointers let me know.
Maybe an AO fly tying nite?:wave:

DarkAisling
10-28-2009, 03:42 PM
starting to see why I chuck hardware? LOL I tie sometimes too, it can be fun, but dont have enough time to do it regularly.

Mr. Soapstone carver already has a creative outlet :p

Well if you and the boy are interested he can use my vice if you want some pointers. I have 100's of flies and probably don't need to tie for a couple of years. Seriously if you want some pointers let me know.
Maybe an AO fly tying nite?:wave:

An AO fly tying nite might be fun. I know that some of the Co-ops have meeting rooms that can be booked for free by members for non-commercial purposes. Can't bring any outside food in, though. I've attended a few diaper swaps (yes, you read that correctly), and the rooms have worked out well.

I'll start a new post on that idea, and we'll see what happens. Otherwise, once we're not so stinkin' ill, I'll see about setting up an instructional session for the boy and I with you.