PDA

View Full Version : Best Boat Modifications??

.millartime.
10-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Just bought my first fishing boat. Boat of a co worker a 16ft aluminum with a 10 or 12 hp outboard i believe.

Ive never owned a boat before and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about essentials to make her a true fishing machine!!! Besides from the fish finder and trolling motor. Any help or suggestions would be great thanks guys!!

.millartime.
10-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Or to make it easier....what do you have on your boat that you wouldnt go with out!

jusfloatin
10-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Approved life jackets for all that ride in it.

Walleyes
10-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Approved life jackets for all that ride in it.

Well aren't we just an exciting fellow :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

millartime,, think about getting some small hand crank Scotty down riggers for it. Very helpful when targeting certain game fish. You can pick up a set of Lake Trollers for very a reasonable price at C.T. and for sure consider putting in rod holders very helpful when trolling all day,, frees up the hands for other things..

Good luck and enjoy the boat..

sheephunter
10-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Rod holders, sonar, GPS, electric trolling motor, seats with backs and you can even make a nifty livewell out of a cooler.

I'm picking up my new toy tomorrow...always fun outfitting them.

big zeke
10-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Seats with backs is really a must...once you have used them you won't go without. Rod holders and crank style downriggers are handy depending what you'll be targetting and how you'll be fishing. Get a decent sized battery so you can run electronics (nav lights as well) and still use it to start the engine; make sure the engine has a charging circuit. Handheld airhorn, baler and lifejackets are a given. A cooler for refreshments and another for bait is a good idea as well.

You might find you'll need a bigger boat to carry all this stuff, once you get a bigger boat you will get more stuff and so on until you run out of money. Keep in mind, a boat is a hole in the water you fill with cash.

Zeke

dodger
10-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Have a GPS to mark those special places you find when out on the water. I found a Perch bed in a lake and if you were off it by 15' on any side you would have 0 bites. But once you were in the middle of it, Yahoo!
Dodger.

jusfloatin
10-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Well aren't we just an exciting fellow :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My opology if that came off as being a smart alike remark as I meant it as a plea.

I am fortunate that I have and do spend a lot of time fishing the Bow either off the shore or dirfting as well being lucky to fish some of the lakes around the Calgary area.
You would be surprised how many people I have seen that either forgot, did not have or the ones they did have are as old as the boat.

Waxy
10-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Rod holders, sonar, GPS, electric trolling motor, seats with backs and you can even make a nifty livewell out of a cooler.

That's the basics for sure.

Some other ideas are a ruler mounted somewhere on the floor or a seat to quickly measure fish. With a little ingenuity, you can use the rod storage racks (Berkley and Rapala make them) mounted along the sides of the boat to make a "rod locker", which is really nice. Nav lights are a good idea too, but you probably won't use them much. Personally, I wouldn't bother with downriggers for fishing in southern AB, I can't think of time I would have used them for walleye or pike fishing.

I found one of the best mods I did to my 14' aluminum was to put a plywood floor in it. It provided several benefits -

1. It was level from side to side, no more uneven footing due to the curve of the hull or the rivet lines.

2. It provides a non-slip surface, which is a nice change from wet aluminum. I put some clean sand in the paint to give it extra grip.

3. It keeps your gear DRY. It keeps everything off the bottom of the boat, and away from the water that inevitable gathers during a day of fishing.

The only downside is the added weight, but you don't need to get carried away on strength, you aren't driving on it, and if it flexes a little underfoot, it's no big deal.

Solid mounts for your battery and fuel tank are also nice additions.

Good luck with the mods, it's all part of the fun of fishing that's for sure.

Waxy

fishincrazy
10-28-2009, 09:07 AM
All of above are good suggestions. I would add to them, a measuring device, a scale, a camera, plyers, mouth opener for the jacks, a reuseable container for leaches, a good basket net, fish gloves, sun glasses, hats, sunscreen, lots of water, extra rods and reels, spair prop, rope and marker buoy. Depending on what kind of fish you are going after lots of bait. Have fun!

Mudslide
10-28-2009, 09:34 AM
I agree that a floor would be a top priority for me if you don't already have one for all the reasons mentioned previously. I would also get comfortable swivel seats and some rod storage racks for the sides. And oh ya! get an automatic, electric, bilge pump.

Rick.
10-28-2009, 09:01 PM
A good anchor is a must have. At the risk of repeating someone I will also say a set of oars (cause you never know). Rick.

Mayhem
10-31-2009, 02:04 PM
Check out this thread, very similar to what you are asking.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=20113

hirsche23
11-03-2009, 07:48 PM
x2 for the rod holder and seats.I have both and wouldn't have a boat without them.A rod holder saves your rod from banging around the boat and if you are fishing with kids like I do, your rod is in the holder more than your hand.A decent fish/depthfinder is also a must.I have a portable eagle and it's great.

Freedom55
11-04-2009, 04:46 AM
Not to mention the required bailing can, floating lifeline, signalling device and flashlight. Oars (or a paddle) are required by law, as are PFDs. By the time you add the batteries, fuel tank and all the gear mentioned above, you might need a bigger boat! Not to mention the wife, the kids, and all their comfort gear. I've been boating for a lot of years and the worst part of it for me is all the clutter in the boat and on the floor.
Also, carrying a spare prop in the boat is a bit excessive. A shear pin would be a better choice. Props are made to spin off before a blade is so badly damaged that it won't get you home. Better yet, go slow until you know the waters and risks. Take a course on boat handling and get an operator's card. Dave