PDA

View Full Version : AO Calgary Fly Tying Night

DarkAisling
10-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Just tossing this out there to see if there is any interest.

Cowtown guy has suggested that an AO Fly Tying Night in Calgary might be a good idea. I agree.

I have my own ideas as to the possible venue and day of the week, beyond that I have no clue. I have no idea what format the event would take either: whether it would be a workshop type event that was essentially hosted by one or two experienced people, or if it would be more casual than that.

A Saturday night would work best for me, and I'm thinking that one of the meeting rooms at a local Co-op grocery store would work well.

Opinions? Ideas?

jts1
10-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I am going to get in2 doing my own fly's this winter i would be interested in attending this event just to learn as much as I can

Cowtown guy
10-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Bass Pro has a meeting room that we may be able to use also. Not sure of how it works but should be easy enough to find out.

Kingfisher
10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd be happy to go and help out. I have tied a few flies in my time and maybe there is a chance that I might be able to pass along a tip or two to the newbies.

I also have a few books that I can bring along so you guys can have a look at what your flies are supposed to look like and what they are supposed to represent. I don't care where you guys decide on holding it. Where ever it is I'll make it.

Just can't do it right now. Been off work sick as a dog at the moment.

Cheers,
Rob

DarkAisling
10-29-2009, 02:50 PM
There has to be more than five of us (my teenage son is interested, too) . . . anyone???

I emailed BPS last night to find out how to book the room, but I was told to phone them. I'll give them a shout tomorrow.

If there isn't a whole lot of interest I'll volunteer my place (in Huntington Hills). I'll get the ol' man in an apron, and he can serve up his truly deadly salt & pepper chicken wings.

Seriously. Things really do work that way in my house. :evilgrin:

I'd be in so much trouble if he read that.

Cowtown guy
10-29-2009, 03:09 PM
OK so I phoned them and they only bookout to conservation groups. Now don't get too disappointed yet. I am a member of the Airdrie Hunting and Fishing Association. We do rent the room every month so maybe I can get a few guys from there and use the AHFA name to get the room. If nobody's interested going out there that's fine too. Just throwing options out there.
As a side note we are still looking for members for the AHFA so come one come all.:wave:

Cowtown guy
10-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Sorry I shouldn't have said rent. It's free.

DarkAisling
10-30-2009, 12:06 PM
BPS would work just find for me. It doesn't matter to me what "name" we're meeting under: whether it be AO or AHFA.

Just hoping there is a little more interest . . .

DarkAisling
11-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Any interest from the folks at AHFA, Cowtown guy?

Fishfinder
11-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Any interest from the folks at AHFA, Cowtown guy?

:lol::lol:Bueller?:lol::lol:jus made my day. thx.

DarkAisling
11-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Even Bueller has left the building . . .

Bump :)

Kingfisher
11-21-2009, 01:06 AM
I'd be happy to host it at my house. I will be on day shift this next week in case the group here wants to get together. We can do it at my place if you want. Any evening best for you folks? I don't care if there is one person or twenty. I still think we should give it a go. I live in Dalhousie in NW Calgary.

I will be happy to give some instruction and supply people with all the necessary materials that they'd need to tie their flies. I have plenty of fly tying books and video's that we can use for references. I have been tying flies for over 30 years so I have a bit of an idea of how it's done.

So folks post here if you want to do this sometime this week. Put down what day is best for you and we'll sort it out from there. I'm thinking sometime after dinner time say 7pm until 9pm. A couple of hours should be enough for some to get a taste of what it's like.

Build it and they will come.

Rob

jts1
11-21-2009, 05:57 AM
Count me in Rob.

DarkAisling
11-21-2009, 09:54 AM
I think Thursday would be best for us (#1 son and I).

But, there is a possibility that we wouldn't make it quite by 7. Hubby has been working late laying floors, and I wouldn't be able to leave the house until he got here (he has to watch #2 son).

DarkAisling
11-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Oh, just want to add that I've got lots of materials. I'm perfectly happy to share/trade/sell (depending on the amount required). I have a limited number of tools though, and if son #1 comes along I won't have enough tools to share with anyone other than him.

I've got one pedestal vise, and one clamp vise. Would there be something to clamp a vise to, or would you prefer that only pedestal vises be used? Don't want to damage any of your furniture.

Kingfisher
11-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Thursday sounds good for me too. 7pm was only a rough time. You can come earlier or stay later I don't care. 9pm was also just a random number. I'll probabaly be up until 1 or 2am tying any how.

How old are your son's? They can come over and play with our dog. We have a yellow lab that loves to have attention. Or if they are old enough they can join in and tie some flies.

I usually use a pedestal vice. I'd rather that we use the same. But I can make it work if you don't. We can use the kitchen table rather than the dining room table. My wife might kill me if I mark up the dining room table.

As far as tying tools I probably have about 4 of everything. So don't worry about that. Shelly you can also pick up those extra spools that I have set aside for you.

If there is any one else that's even thinking about learning to tie then come on over. I'll be happy to help out and you won't need to bring anything at all. Just ask Jeff. He knows what sort of fly tying material collection I have.

Rob

jts1
11-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Yes you can ask me, I have been there If Rob dont got it You dont need it. Any1 who comes wont be disappointed Rob and his wife are great people. I will see you all there. Once we know who is all going I will stop and get a cold cut platter and beverages for everyone

DarkAisling
11-22-2009, 08:26 AM
My youngest son is still in diapers, and is too little to come. He's usually in bed by around 6:30. My other son is 16, and he's expressed a lot of interest in tying flies. He's watched me do it with great interest on occasion :)

I picked up a few extra used tools (including the clamp vise) so he can tie at the same time as me. I have to come up with a non-marking way to use the clamp vise though, as our good wood table is our kitchen table.

If I can't come up with something for that vise, I'll pick-up a wood tv tray to clamp the vise too. That way no one's good table will get marked up :) I want one of those so I can tie in the living room in front of the TV, anyway.

In the event we're a little late (we shouldn't be), just leave a spot for us at the table and know that we'll be along shortly.

I'll bring some food too (and probably some non-alcoholic beverages). Not sure what yet, as my modus operandi is to walk into a store and pick-up whatever I think looks good at the time.

Kingfisher
11-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Hold on folks. No need to bring food and beverages. This is not a wine and cheeze party. I don't eat and tie at the same time. I will have non alcoholic drinks for everyone and there is beer if you want a cold one. So no need to bring anything.

Just bring yourself and of course Sherry your son is more than welcome. I like the idea you have for not marking up the table. One way or another we'll get things set up and be tying away. I think we'll tie some basic flies to start with then move on to some tougher one's. I'll first see what sort of skills you guys have. Then we can see if we need to work on some of the basic skills like whip finishing or dubbing, before moving onto some tougher stuff like spinning deer hair.

Rob

DarkAisling
11-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks so much! Learned a lot and the company was top notch :)

Kingfisher
11-28-2009, 12:46 AM
I enjoyed that. Maybe next we'll do it on a Saturday or earlier in the evening.

Good thing we got together last night instead of trying to negotiate the ice roads of Calgary tonight.

Maybe next time Jeff can join us.

Rob

jts1
11-28-2009, 08:26 AM
I sure hope so I am real sry guys. But it just didnt work out, If I dont get a fishing fix Im going to die.

DarkAisling
11-28-2009, 08:30 AM
I enjoyed that. Maybe next we'll do it on a Saturday or earlier in the evening.

A Saturday would be great.

If I dont get a fishing fix Im going to die.

Don't do that . . . we need you to keep updating your map. :D