PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good reel?

Geezle
10-30-2009, 07:50 AM
The title says it all...what makes a decent quality reel? I'm thinking mainly of spinning reels, but I'm open to input on fly/spincast/baitcast reels as well :)

I ask because I've acquired myself a small collection of reels since I got back into fishing this summer, and though they range somewhat in price, they're still on the less expensive end of the spectrum.

Seems like the biggest 'feature' if you can call it that, listed on reels is usually the number of ball bearings. I'm sure there has to be more to it than that.

I know that to an extent you get what you pay for, and that the more expensive reels are usually 'better' but there's got to be more to it than that too.

So aside from maybe sticking with familiar brands, what should a person look for in a decent reel?

WayneChristie
10-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Id say number one is a smooth drag. I have never spent a lot of money on top end reels, and still get years of use out of them. Im finding most spinning reels I see now have continuous anti-reverse, but that drives me nuts (er) I much prefer self centering bail with the option of antireverse on my spinning reels. saves fumbling around to open the bail.

Geezle
10-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Id say number one is a smooth drag. I have never spent a lot of money on top end reels, and still get years of use out of them. Im finding most spinning reels I see now have continuous anti-reverse, but that drives me nuts (er) I much prefer self centering bail with the option of antireverse on my spinning reels. saves fumbling around to open the bail.

Is there a way to check out the drag when just looking at the reel in a shop, or does it have to be spooled with line?

I'm pretty sure that all my reels have the continuous anti-reverse. I'm a little lost on the self centering bail thing though...are you talking about reels that have kind of a trigger to open the bail? :confused:

WayneChristie
10-30-2009, 09:06 AM
yes, they usually have a 3 position switch, free running, self centering and full time anti reverse. maybe they dont make them anymore, like I said I use my reels for a long time and things keep "improving" I think a good shop would spool a few feet of line for you to test the drag, especially if its a higher end model. guess the true test would be hooking into a big pike and trying to keep her head out of the weeds, too bad you cant test that in a store :D

Geezle
10-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Okay, now I follow you.

All my reels just have a 2 position switch...one anti-reverse and the other free running.

Now I'm going to have to play with them and really check out the drag systems.

WayneChristie
10-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Remember to loosen your drag at the end of your fishing, supposed to be easier on the components, not that I ever remember.

Cal
10-30-2009, 09:50 AM
most important is a smooth drag. Things to watch for is if the tension fluctuates when pulling, as well with some reels it takes a pull a little heavyer than what youve set your drag at to get the drag running and then once the spool is spinning it settles down. Another anoying drag problem is the take up is often less than the drag, like if your drag is set at 10 lbs on a running fish while reeling in you are only pulling in line at maby 8 lbs befor the drag starts spining. Virtualy all spinning reels and spincasting reels have this to some degree with bait casting reels being a bit better about this.

2nd is the ball bearings, anything with 3 or more is plenty IMO. And I fully agree with Wayne, that self centering bail is pretty handy but doesnt seem to come on alot of reels these days so I've just gotten used to full time anti reverse.

Waxy
10-30-2009, 09:53 AM
To my mind, the performance of the drag is #1. It has to be smooth and consistent, no jerking or pauses, and it should be able to be adjusted to very fine specs, and stay there.

As for ball bearings, that's marketing hype IMHO. I don't pay any attention to this stat for the most part, in fact, IMHO, any reel advertising a high number of ball bearings is probably of lower quality. Three or four high quality bearings are better than a dozen cheap ones, and ultimately, it's the quality of the components and tolerances that really make for a smooth and long lasting reel.

Other factors I can think of are the construction. Plastic parts? One piece sides? Aluminum? Magnesium? Carbon fibre? They all affect the strength of the reel and it's weight, and play a big factor in how long it's going to last. They also play a big part in the weight of the reel, which is a major factor for me too.

Basically, every part of the reel is improved as you go up in price - the retrieve mechanism itself (less line twist), the spools, the bail, the gears, the handle, etc...

Pick up a few reels and just feel how "smooth" they are when you crank the handle, give it a good spin and let it freewheel, does it keep going? Is it silent? When you grab the reel and move all the parts, is there any free play or is everything really tight? How does the handle attach? Is it through bolted, or does it thread tightly into the reel?

I think you'll notice big differences between the $30-80 or so reels and those in the $80-150 range, after that the differences become more subtle, but they are there.

Waxy

P.S. I used to be a big fan of the self centering bail myself, they are much nicer for casting, but a good quality instant anti-reverse is important, it's simply a better system when it comes to detecting bites and setting the hook. If you find yourself doing a lot of casting they're an option, but you could also look into a baitcasting reel for better performance.

rustynailz
10-30-2009, 12:08 PM
When it comes to fly reels, the difference between a cheap reel and a quality one are materials of construction, tolerances, drag system, warranty, and brand name.

My favorite reels are made by Nautilus. They're machined from aluminum, they have sealed carbon fiber drag systems, they're super lightweight, strong, and look great. They'll set you back anywhere from $400-$800.

Take an el-cheapo Daiwa Lochmor or similar reel. All the components are cast, so they don't stand up to impact as well. The drag systems are click-pawl or simple disc drags that will wear quickly or will rust. You can't use them in the salt unless you rinse them well every time. You can, however, buy 10 of them for the price of a Nautilus.

Some folks feel that a reel does little more than hold the line, while others really like the feel and performance of a high-end one. Different strokes for different folks. If you get into tropical sal****er or coastal salmon flyfishing, the conditions and fish quickly separate the wheat from the chaff.

Geezle
10-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Remember to loosen your drag at the end of your fishing, supposed to be easier on the components, not that I ever remember.

I've never heard that before, but now that I have, I'll loosen my drag at the end of the day...if I remember :o

Geezle
10-31-2009, 08:14 AM
As for ball bearings, that's marketing hype IMHO. I don't pay any attention to this stat for the most part, in fact, IMHO, any reel advertising a high number of ball bearings is probably of lower quality. Three or four high quality bearings are better than a dozen cheap ones, and ultimately, it's the quality of the components and tolerances that really make for a smooth and long lasting reel.

I think this is the biggest thing I think I was curious about. It's not something I really looked at when purchasing most of my reels, however I could see some people getting sucked in by the 'more is better' mentality.

My reels have anywhere from 1-6 ball bearings, and actually I think the reel that has 6 also has the most resistance when I'm turning it :huh:

WayneChristie
10-31-2009, 09:35 AM
I'd think the more bearings the smaller they would be, so if you managed to get a bit of sand or grit in with them, the smaller ones would take the most damage, so I would think the larger ones would be able to handle it better. Maybe, what do I know :)

Morph1
10-31-2009, 09:56 AM
9 ball bearing solved my issues :), my last trip in central europe yielded a nice reel from a brand that I never heard before , I believe I only spent $70 bucks , but what an experience...., I pretty much would toss all my reels in the garbage after using Dragon Team Reel..
Here is the site , very good quality equipment,

http://www.firmadragon.pl/english/index-en.html

Hope this helps or opens doors to new choices !

Cheers !

WayneChristie
10-31-2009, 10:28 AM
thanks for the link morph, its interesting to see fishing equipment from other countries, some the same and some way different. Have you ever ordered anything from their catalogue? some of the pike lures look interesting.

Cal
10-31-2009, 11:04 AM
One of the smoothest reels I ever owned was had the brand name DAM on it. It was made in the 70's and I got it at a rumage sale for 5 bucks still in the box. With all the moves I've made since buying it I'm not exactly sure where it is now but if I ever find it I'll post a picture. I'll have to check out those reels morph, I think europe has been ahead of us in the spinning reel department ever since they invented them.

Morph1
10-31-2009, 09:17 PM
thanks for the link morph, its interesting to see fishing equipment from other countries, some the same and some way different. Have you ever ordered anything from their catalogue? some of the pike lures look interesting.

Well this past summer I was back home visiting and I had to look into fishing equipment out there, I purchased my reel while I was out there, I never ordered anything from the online website, but I am sure you will get a quality service,
after the ice season I will for sure look at ordering something from them,
hell anything I am extremly happy with the reel I got and I use it all the time,
it drives smooth and there is no play at all, and the drag works awesome...
there are also some titanium parts, one thing that I love out there about the fishing stores is that you have an extremly wide selection of at least 40-80 bobbers not just 3 or 4 like up here... , float fishing out there is very popular.

Hope this helps,

Cheers and have a great ice season !!!

The DragonSlayer
11-01-2009, 07:55 AM
The drag is important, but also: Does it wobble or does it run smoothly on the retrieve (Balance)? An occillating spool is nice. So are sealed bearings. The type of line you spool your reel with is also very important. I find the ``limper, the better``.
As for fly reels. it depends on the size of the trout you are targeting. For small fish, an inexpensive, well balanced reel works fine. Spend more for targeting big trout, salmon, or pike. 3 cents worth.

Geezle
11-01-2009, 08:11 AM
The drag is important, but also: Does it wobble or does it run smoothly on the retrieve (Balance)? An occillating spool is nice. So are sealed bearings. The type of line you spool your reel with is also very important. I find the ``limper, the better``.
As for fly reels. it depends on the size of the trout you are targeting. For small fish, an inexpensive, well balanced reel works fine. Spend more for targeting big trout, salmon, or pike. 3 cents worth.

Good point regarding the line...I know the line has a lot to do with the 'feel' when you're reeling in. I especially noticed this when my line got all twisted up and I had to cut a bunch out. I ended up cutting out too much and didn't have enough line for a good cast, so I quickly re-spooled with some cheap Red Wolf line that I have for tying stuff up. It definitely has some bad memory effects, and I can really feel the difference with my casting as well as retrieval.

As soon as everything freezes up I'll get that junk off of there and probably put some braided, or at least quality mono line on that reel for the winter :)

WayneChristie
11-01-2009, 08:50 AM
One of the smoothest reels I ever owned was had the brand name DAM on it. It was made in the 70's and I got it at a rumage sale for 5 bucks still in the box. With all the moves I've made since buying it I'm not exactly sure where it is now but if I ever find it I'll post a picture. I'll have to check out those reels morph, I think europe has been ahead of us in the spinning reel department ever since they invented them.

Years ago I bought a reel at Army and Navy, it was a "Dam" Quick model, made in Russia. Im sure it was made from old army tanks, weighed as much as a small car. Piece of crap, I recall something broke pretty quick and it ended up gathering dust. No parts around because it was from Russia. No wonder it was on sale cheap.

Cal
11-01-2009, 01:05 PM
mine hauled my supper out of Mound Red almost every evening for one whole supper as well as made a 3 month trip to alaska and back where I fished amost every single day, not a problem. But russian made stuf sure can be crap so I dont doubt you on yours.

Geezle
11-01-2009, 06:08 PM
So I'm looking at the reels on WSS's website, particularly smaller reels for ice fishing at the moment and I came across a couple things.

I see a few reels from Okuma and H.T. Enterprises. I'm not really familiar with either of these brands, except that I know H.T. makes a lot of ice fishing stuff. Does anybody have any experience with reels from either of these companies?

I also see an Ugly Stick reel with 20 freakin' bearings! That must mean it's like the best reel ever! And only $20 too, what a bargain! :rolleyes:

I now *really* see that the bearings thing is more about marketing than anything else.

honker_clonker
11-01-2009, 07:49 PM
So I'm looking at the reels on WSS's website, particularly smaller reels for ice fishing at the moment and I came across a couple things.

I see a few reels from Okuma and H.T. Enterprises. I'm not really familiar with either of these brands, except that I know H.T. makes a lot of ice fishing stuff. Does anybody have any experience with reels from either of these companies?

I also see an Ugly Stick reel with 20 freakin' bearings! That must mean it's like the best reel ever! And only $20 too, what a bargain! :rolleyes:

I now *really* see that the bearings thing is more about marketing than anything else.
I own a Stella and it has 16 ball bearings and it is literally the best reel i will probably ever own, not so much of a deal at $800 but worth it. Handle turns itself if you leave the knob at about the 1 oclock position and leave it. On the stella the ball bearings help add smoothness under stress. Its a 8000 size and can produce 55 lbs of drag and ive fished it under about 20 pounds of drag and it makes a difference under that kind of strain. I also have a cheap large zebco reel with 3 BB's which is a coffee grinder under about 10lbs of drag.
As for ice reels I would suggest taking them apart and removing all the thick grease out of them and use a light oil or thin grease. At -25 it really stiffens up a reel. If your looking for reels for ice fishing, graphite is a better option than metal. Wet skin doesnt stick to cold graphite like it does to cold metal. If you want metal ones just wrap some hockey tape around it. Okuma would be a better bet than HT, seems like any of the HT reels I have purchased have been of extremely low quality. Another alright name for inexpensive ice reels is Daiwa. At the fishin hole they have the daiwa sweepfire series which are very good reels for $20. I got a few from them last year at their everything 20% or more off sale and it made them $15 (25% off). Cant go wrong with the daiwa brand too.

Geezle
11-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I own a Stella and it has 16 ball bearings and it is literally the best reel i will probably ever own, not so much of a deal at $800 but worth it. Handle turns itself if you leave the knob at about the 1 oclock position and leave it. On the stella the ball bearings help add smoothness under stress. Its a 8000 size and can produce 55 lbs of drag and ive fished it under about 20 pounds of drag and it makes a difference under that kind of strain. I also have a cheap large zebco reel with 3 BB's which is a coffee grinder under about 10lbs of drag.
As for ice reels I would suggest taking them apart and removing all the thick grease out of them and use a light oil or thin grease. At -25 it really stiffens up a reel. If your looking for reels for ice fishing, graphite is a better option than metal. Wet skin doesnt stick to cold graphite like it does to cold metal. If you want metal ones just wrap some hockey tape around it. Okuma would be a better bet than HT, seems like any of the HT reels I have purchased have been of extremely low quality. Another alright name for inexpensive ice reels is Daiwa. At the fishin hole they have the daiwa sweepfire series which are very good reels for $20. I got a few from them last year at their everything 20% or more off sale and it made them $15. Cant go wrong with the daiwa brand too.

I actually have a Daiwa Sweepfire 1000-B that I got as part of a combo at the big sale at TFH a couple months ago, and it seems like it should be a decent little reel for the winter :)

I also just picked up this reel: https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3865638&enlargeSkuz=25753&GETPRODUCTSBYDEPTG=02&D=02&ALL=ALL last week. I figure I'll use it through the winter, and if I like it I'll probably pick up a light/ultralight rod to go with it for open water season.

Beyond that I'll probably end up putting my Shimano Sidestab 2500 on a heavier ice rod at some point in time too...and from there...well from there I'm shopping again!

honker_clonker
11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I actually have a Daiwa Sweepfire 1000-B that I got as part of a combo at the big sale at TFH a couple months ago, and it seems like it should be a decent little reel for the winter :)

I also just picked up this reel: https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3865638&enlargeSkuz=25753&GETPRODUCTSBYDEPTG=02&D=02&ALL=ALL last week. I figure I'll use it through the winter, and if I like it I'll probably pick up a light/ultralight rod to go with it for open water season.

Beyond that I'll probably end up putting my Shimano Sidestab 2500 on a heavier ice rod at some point in time too...and from there...well from there I'm shopping again!

If the handle on that little quantum is as big as it looks that will be a stellar ice reel. would make it alot easier to reel with gloves on instead of the usual tiny ones that come on the reels. Might have to go check out a few of those.

WayneChristie
11-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Outdoor Edge magazine has a FishinHole ad, for a Zebco Ice fishing reel on sale for 6.95 that looks like it would make a good reel for an ultralight or icefishing setup. too bad its so far away or Id pick up a couple. dont see it listed on their website tho.

Geezle
11-01-2009, 08:15 PM
If the handle on that little quantum is as big as it looks that will be a stellar ice reel. would make it alot easier to reel with gloves on instead of the usual tiny ones that come on the reels. Might have to go check out a few of those.

Yep, the handle on that guy is fairly big, and overall it feels like a fairly sturdy reel...definitely a little more solid than that Daiwa, but it's also a little bit bigger as well.

Geezle
11-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Outdoor Edge magazine has a FishinHole ad, for a Zebco Ice fishing reel on sale for 6.95 that looks like it would make a good reel for an ultralight or icefishing setup. too bad its so far away or Id pick up a couple. dont see it listed on their website tho.

Does it say what model reel it is? I wouldn't mind checking it out to see if it's something that's worthwhile. If it is I'm sure I could send a couple down to ya, or bring them if I'm able to get down there for some ice fishing this winter. :)

WayneChristie
11-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Does it say what model reel it is? I wouldn't mind checking it out to see if it's something that's worthwhile. If it is I'm sure I could send a couple down to ya, or bring them if I'm able to get down there for some ice fishing this winter. :)

doesnt say a model number, but the catalogue number is 3865685 . its a long stroke spool, which Ive used in my full size reel for a long time and love it. comes pre spooled with 4 pound line, so that would make it even cheaper. its 16.95 regular price

Geezle
11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Ok, I see that listed as the Zebco Jaw 00 size spinning reel. They don't have a pic of it on the site though, and I'm having a tough time finding any info on this reel online so far...:o

Geezle
11-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Hey Wayne, does that ad say how long that reel is on sale for? Won't be able to get down to check it out for a couple days...stupid work getting in the way!

Geezle
11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Well, I found time to drop by TFH today, and I grabbed two of those Zebco reels that are on sale. It's nothing spectacular, but for $6.95 I won't complain. It obviously has some plastic parts, and the drag isn't super smooth, but I'm sure they'll make okay ice fishing reels :)

I'll maybe post a couple pics of one of them later since I couldn't find anything about them on the net.

Thanks for letting me know about that sale Wayne! :wave:

WayneChristie
11-04-2009, 06:00 PM
no problem, they should have the sale price on the website, but guess its too much work to keep up to date. I looked at some icerod reel combos today at wallyworld, I think the reel would suit me for an ultralight rod, holds a lot of 4 pound test so I may have to pick one up after Im back to work. No income for a month kinda sucks :D darn bills just keep coming!

Geezle
11-04-2009, 10:07 PM
no problem, they should have the sale price on the website, but guess its too much work to keep up to date. I looked at some icerod reel combos today at wallyworld, I think the reel would suit me for an ultralight rod, holds a lot of 4 pound test so I may have to pick one up after Im back to work. No income for a month kinda sucks :D darn bills just keep coming!

Funny thing about prices on their website...the Quantum reel I got a week or two ago was on sale as one of their 'Hot Deals' on their website, but were marked with the regular price in the store. When they scanned it, it came up with the right price, but that's not the point...

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the reel.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/s6301518.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/s6301519.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/s6301520.jpg

For $6.95 I don't think you can go wrong :)

I don't know if I'd pay the regular price for it...the plastic crank handle is a bit of a turnoff.

honker_clonker
11-04-2009, 10:11 PM
how many did they have in stock?

Geezle
11-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Not entirely sure, I want to say they had at least half a dozen left.

They have a bunch of those Quantum reels there too, and I think they may still have them on sale for $20.

I can't guarantee that though because the website has them at regular price again. See the previous comments regarding prices on their site :rolleyes:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Jay those will work beauty for Whites and perch .

Geezle
11-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Jay those will work beauty for Whites and perch .

Nice...that's kinda what I was thinking...at least for the perch. Didn't even think of whites since I've never caught one. I have caught a bunch of tulibee back in the day, but I don't think they're quite the same.

jrcw
11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
In my opinion instant anti-reverse is crucial. To test this, crank the reel as if you were reeling in, then stop and try to reel in the opposite direction (make sure it's not on free spool!). If the crank will move at all back in the other direction, there will be play in your line when you get a bite or go to set the hook. That little bit of slack can mean a big loss of feel and sensitivity which can lead to lost fish. It's a small detail that makes a big difference.