PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from SK

Freedom55
10-31-2009, 06:20 AM
We pulled up stakes in Calgary and moved to Saskatchewan this summer and found fishing heaven. The walleye here are big, the pike are enormous and the trout have mutated into 48 lb monsters (see Konrad brothers in Saskatoon). This is the only place I've been where you are required,and I have been forced to do, to release the large walleyes and keep the small ones. The possession limits here are, of course, different than our own with a limit of 5 walleyes, only one of which can be over 55cm. We eat so much walleye now that we bought a little deep frier dedicated to fish! Favorite spot so far? Madge Lake in Duck Mountain Provincial Park. What a place! Three lakes within 5 minutes of the cabin and fish, fish, and more fish. There is a motel that also rents condos and cabins in the woods. There is a golf course across the highway as well. Mid-September at Madge, we saw the biggest damn pike that I've ever looked at caught by 2 old fellows in a vintage fibreglass skiboat converted to a fish factory by removing the the helm and engine and replacing them with an old 9.9hp tiller kicker. They had gone out on the lake on a very windy day while I futzed around in a sheltered bay. I caught walleye alright, but these guys hauled in a monster, the head of which was bigger than a Travers keeper! The first walleye that I caught was a 24" keeper and the next five were more or less the same, so they got to live another day. No small fish! Had to give up in the evening because the 5lb pike were following the jig right up to the boat, then biting it off. Great visuals, but leeches are expensive and hard to get. Bring many. Little Jackfish, 5km east, is loaded with perch and we hauled in a bucket full (8-10") the next afternoon from shore with little red spinners tipped with tiny leeches. Batka Lake is a beautiful little lake with a great ramp/dock that we got the Lund into(so did the guys with the 19.5' Lund) and we back-trolled all afternoon for small pike and the odd small 18" walleye. Going back this winter for another week of "shore lunch".
I can keep you posted if you are interested. We fish a lot around here, and would fish more if the weather would cooperate, but it ain't exactly Alberta outdoors. More like an Albertan outdoors. Dave

Geezle
10-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Glad it seems like you're having yourself a good time slaying fish out there :)

I'm originally a Sask boy myself, and spent a lot of time fishing up around the Meadow Lake provincial park...if you ever get a chance you should take a trip up there :)

The fishing out here now is okay, but it sure isn't the same as back home...

WayneChristie
10-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Got my first pike in Saskatchewan, Buffalo Pound Lake, when I was in the military, caught it when I was dipping my hook with a piece of bread in the water so I could squeeze it on, was going to fish for the big carp I could see swimming around. 8 pound pike grabbed it, in about 3 inches of water by my feet, scared me so bad Ive been fishing for them ever since LOL Saskatchewan has awesome fishing, and some really good people. Just might have to try out your way next summer if Im lucky!
and congratulations on leaving the the big Chitty, I did a year ago and havent regretted a second of it!

BigBuck$
10-31-2009, 10:01 AM
If you are into Lake Trout be sure to give Childs Lake a try. I can't remember if it is on the Manitoba or Saskatchewan sde of Duck Mtn Park, I've seen some PIGS come out of there!!!

bsnyder
10-31-2009, 09:04 PM
:wave:YA isnt SASK great:D Moved to BigRiver and cant bieleve how good the fishing is .30 lakes within 1/2 hr drive.The communitie is great too, very little crime and lots of out door activities.:DTough for an Alberta boy to admit , but ILL never go back to live in Alberta , life here is great (so far:rolleye2: )

ToCatch
11-01-2009, 01:06 AM
I would recommend going to Lake of the prairies too...that was my favorite fishing lake... I only fished the manitoba side, near assissippi campground... but there is monster walleye, pike, perch, and carp that come out of there. it is a big body of water though.

troutpirate
11-01-2009, 09:21 AM
i cant wait to go back next year to go round 2 with those big lake diefenbaker rainbows and catch some more tiger trout!

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/lanebohn/SK002.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/lanebohn/SK003.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww177/lanebohn/SK005.jpg