PDA

View Full Version : Lac La Biche Elementary School Needs Your Help!

Rob Miskosky
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone,

I am a phys ed teacher in Lac La Biche, AB. I teach at an elementary school called "Vera M. Welsh". My handle here is LacLaBicheNS (http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/member.php?u=4552).

This year I am trying to organize an ice-fishing trip for my 100+ grade 3 students. I would like this trip to become an annual event and in the future also include the 100+ grade 2 students at our school.

I hope to make this trip happen in February on Lac La Biche itself. We would be targeting perch and with some luck a pike or two. Each class of 22-23 kids will go one or two times for about an hour each time. I haven't worked out all the details yet. I have already recieved the go ahead from the School Board's Superintendant. The trip will include a lot of education on ice/fishing and winter safety as well as education on wildlife conservation.

Our School Board does not have the money to fund such things so I am asking for everyone's help to donate some items that will help make this trip happen.

I'm in need of:
- about 25 ice-fishing rods (can be home made or cheapies!)
- 25 reels for these rods (I want to stick to spinning reels for ease of use)
- 4-6lbs test mono line
- small perch jigs
- needle nose pliers (I need at least 3 or 4 more pairs)
- ice laddles (our 25 holes will need to be cleaned often)
- gas auger
- anything else that you can think of that we could use!!

I don't think anyone would donate these items but maybe someone in the Lac La Biche area would let us borrow them:

- one or two large wall tents (for safety the students must stay in wall tents during the trip)
- a way to heat the wall tents (preferably propane due to asthma and other respiratory conditions)

Any equipment donated will become property of Vera Welsh school. And anyone who donates will recieve a thank you card with hopefully a picture of the day we go fishing.

A high percentage of our students do not have the opportunity to learn how to fish. If you have ever taken a kid fishing for the first time you know how special a day like this would be for these kids. I decided to do this trip because in the summertime I found myself thinking how fortunate I was to have a family that could afford to take me fishing as a kid and to have people who knew how to show me how to fish and how to respect our wildlife.

If you have equipment that you would like to donate to our school you could ship it or drop it off to:

Vera M. Welsh Elementary
9912-103rd Street
Lac La Biche, Alberta
T0A 2C0

If I have a lot of people in Edmonton/Cold Lake/Bonnyville I will make a trip or two down to pick up a bunch of things.

If you have any questions please send me a message and I will gladly answer them.

Thank You!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Rob I bet if he contacted Fish and Wildlife they could supply him with some rods that have been confiscated from Poachers. As well as Tons of tackle .

Albertadiver
11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't have a ton of stuff myself, but I'll see what I have, and I'll also offer my services as a free courier from Calgary and Red Deer.

I am working on a construction project near Heart Lake which is northeast of Lac La Biche. I have to drive from Calgary to the project and right past Rob's school, so I'd be willing to take whatever anyone has in the Calgary area and drop it off for Rob.

I also work every other Thursday in Red Deer, so I could collect there as well if anyone wants to donate.

PM me for my address if you want to drop stuff off. I live in NW Calgary and work downtown. You can let Rob know what you're donating so that you can verify I'm not 'borrowing' any of the stuff for myself.

tonyflyfish
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
who would we make a cheque out to? should I mail it to the school?

Rob Miskosky
11-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Looking at the original post I now see that it looks as though I am the teacher. My mistake and I appologize. The poster and the person that should be contacted is LacLaBicheNS (http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/member.php?u=4552).

Sundancefisher
11-04-2009, 08:10 AM
Looking at the original post I now see that it looks as though I am the teacher. My mistake and I appologize. The poster and the person that should be contacted is LacLaBicheNS (http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/member.php?u=4552).

If targetting perch I would suggest having them read this... http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/How%20to%20Successfully%20Catch%20Yellow%20Perch%2 0Article%20Update.pdf

Also it there are lots of youtube videos showing underwater perch fishing that would be interesting.

As for rods...I organize beavers and cubs for years. We just cut a small rectangle of plywood and notch the ends and then wrap line around. This is what my grandfather used for years to hand line in anything that swims under the ice. The hooks in the article above should work. If someone goes and buys a bunch of mealworms and some bran and fills a tub there will be plenty of bait to use in a few months.

Junglejake
11-04-2009, 09:22 PM
If targetting perch I would suggest having them read this... http://www.lakesundance.org/PDFs/How%20to%20Successfully%20Catch%20Yellow%20Perch%2 0Article%20Update.pdf

Also it there are lots of youtube videos showing underwater perch fishing that would be interesting.

As for rods...I organize beavers and cubs for years. We just cut a small rectangle of plywood and notch the ends and then wrap line around. This is what my grandfather used for years to hand line in anything that swims under the ice. The hooks in the article above should work. If someone goes and buys a bunch of mealworms and some bran and fills a tub there will be plenty of bait to use in a few months.

I agree...thats all I and many other people I know have ever used and never had a line break. You dont need reels for ice fishing. As for cleaning out your holes... I use a yellow "kitchen dishwashing glove", works great for handling the fish too.

LacLaBicheNS
12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
who would we make a cheque out to? should I mail it to the school?

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

As far as contacting fish and wildlife, I already have. I asked if they would send an officer for the day so the kids could see them and ask them questions. I did not ask if they had equipement, but I will call again and ask. Good idea.

As far as hand lining... I have approval from the super intendant for using rods/reels. This is to make the day easier. Picture 23 kids 7 and 8 years old with NO fishing experience in a wall tent. Then imagine the tangles you would have to deal with all day if they were hand lining in 20 feet of water and bringing up a lot of perch. I just don't want all that line all over the tent. Plus, safety is number one concern for me and the school. Cuts from line being wrapped around tiny fingers and falls from being tripped by line on the ground would be a risk increased with hand lining. I may resort to a few hand lines, but I'd like to have as many rods as I can. Every year I can slowly add more rods.

I didn't think I would have money donations, but hey its more than welcome. My adminstration said cheques must be made out to "Vera M Welsh". They also said they can give a recipt from the school, but if you want a reciept that you can use with your taxes, it will be harder to get, but still possible. Basically our School division head office would have to issue that kind of recipt.

Thanks so much!

Here is my vision for this project. When I get the right equipement I would like to make the program include our gr 2s (100+ kids) and our gr 3s (another 100+ kids) and make the program a tournament for our school over 2 or three days.

LacLaBicheNS
12-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Bussing would cost too much to take our kids to lake sundance. Although the quality of experience would be way better in my opinion. Also I choose lac la biche because it is very close to a hospital, our school and rest rooms!

mpl
12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I live in Athabasca but work in LLB often. let me know what items you are most in need of at the moment and i'll try to get as much of them as i can to you asap. I can drop them off at the school or make arraingments for them to be dropped off. I applaud your efforts.

LacLaBicheNS
12-08-2009, 09:11 AM
I live in Athabasca but work in LLB often. let me know what items you are most in need of at the moment and i'll try to get as much of them as i can to you asap. I can drop them off at the school or make arraingments for them to be dropped off. I applaud your efforts.

As it stands I found 2 gas augers I can borrow. I only need one so that works out great. I'm trying to get forestry to loan me wall tents and heaters. So that basically leaves
-rods/reels
-tackel-perch jigs, line etc

Let me know when you want to arrange a drop off or pick up. Bascially whenever the school is open you can drop them off. If thats not convient I can arrange something else.

Cheers!

DLP
12-09-2009, 09:10 PM
As for rods...I organize beavers and cubs for years. We just cut a small rectangle of plywood and notch the ends and then wrap line around. This is what my grandfather used for years to hand line in anything that swims under the ice. The hooks in the article above should work. If someone goes and buys a bunch of mealworms and some bran and fills a tub there will be plenty of bait to use in a few months.[/QUOTE]

x2 I'm sure the rods would make a good shop class project;)

LacLaBicheNS
12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
I've had quite a few mesages about donations. Thanks again!

Still gathering things as of now. I talked to our county board and they will plow a nicebig spot and a walking path to our fishing area.

Drewski Canuck
12-16-2009, 04:51 PM
I am one of the leaders with Lynwood 116th scouts. I run the Cubs ice fishing program for winter camp and winterfest. Have the Teacher PM me. He needs at least one EXPERIENCED ADULT per three kids for supervision and assistance. Hooks in hands, wet feet, mangled tackle, and that is BEFORE the first fish is on the ice.

Tell me a date and I will see if I can help out.

Drewski

Sundancefisher
12-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Bussing would cost too much to take our kids to lake sundance. Although the quality of experience would be way better in my opinion. Also I choose lac la biche because it is very close to a hospital, our school and rest rooms!

LOL

The link just refers to how to catch perch generically. The tricks and tips work on other lakes also.

Just so you know the hand lining has worked fine for Beavers aged 5-7 and from 4 years old to 18 years old I only used these.

If you are all packed so tight that hand lining is a problem...your lines below the ice are in more trouble. Even perch can tangle other lines. I would recommend a set back of at least 4-5 feet between holes...3 will be too tight for beginners to handle fish swimming in circles as you reel up.

IMHO and based upon lots of experience with youngsters.

If you need hooks...contact shhow1 at hotmail.com. Ask for Sherrie. Order their

50 moon style glow in the dark
50 blood worm gentz style size 8 (1/32) charteuse
50 blood worm gentz style size 6 (1/16) charteuse
50 lead free fatboy style 1/16 charteuse

This is whole sale pricing...about $0.33 a hook. You need to pinch barbs down however. Ask if you can get all these in glow in the dark...otherwise these will get you started. You can also get some yellow ones.

I buy $50 worth a year and hand out to kids at our lake during the winter and summer.

Cheers

Sun

LacLaBicheNS
12-20-2009, 06:39 PM
I am one of the leaders with Lynwood 116th scouts. I run the Cubs ice fishing program for winter camp and winterfest. Have the Teacher PM me. He needs at least one EXPERIENCED ADULT per three kids for supervision and assistance. Hooks in hands, wet feet, mangled tackle, and that is BEFORE the first fish is on the ice.

Tell me a date and I will see if I can help out.

Drewski

I'm the teacher.....

I know what I'm doing,-I'm a teacher so I know all about supervision. Our school has many rules about supervision and the number of supervisors to kid ratio. I'm also an experienced outdoors person so between that and being a teacher I have it figured out.

The thing about all that wet feet,tangles,hooks etc.. all that stuff that you need supervisors to deal with- if you spend the time before the trip preparing the kids and giving them the knowledge, it cuts the need for hands on supervision A LOT. Also, my trip's organization and planning will help relieve the need for hands on supervision. For example, a lot of people want me to just have the kids hand line. If I do this than I will need WAY more people to help out. But if I get the rods+reels and spend a few days before the kids showing them how to work the reels and do some minor un tnagling techniques in a classroom, it really cuts down on the need for all the supervision.

Volunteers are more than welcome, I have a lot of parents who want to come out. But the more the merrier (as long as theres room), but school policy is that you do a interview with out adminstration before hand. Its bacially meet our principle kind of interview.

LacLaBicheNS
12-20-2009, 06:56 PM
LOL

The link just refers to how to catch perch generically. The tricks and tips work on other lakes also.

Just so you know the hand lining has worked fine for Beavers aged 5-7 and from 4 years old to 18 years old I only used these.

If you are all packed so tight that hand lining is a problem...your lines below the ice are in more trouble. Even perch can tangle other lines. I would recommend a set back of at least 4-5 feet between holes...3 will be too tight for beginners to handle fish swimming in circles as you reel up.

IMHO and based upon lots of experience with youngsters.

If you need hooks...contact shhow1 at hotmail.com. Ask for Sherrie. Order their

50 moon style glow in the dark
50 blood worm gentz style size 8 (1/32) charteuse
50 blood worm gentz style size 6 (1/16) charteuse
50 lead free fatboy style 1/16 charteuse

This is whole sale pricing...about $0.33 a hook. You need to pinch barbs down however. Ask if you can get all these in glow in the dark...otherwise these will get you started. You can also get some yellow ones.

I buy $50 worth a year and hand out to kids at our lake during the winter and summer.

Cheers

Sun

I think I've said it 4 times already but hand lining is my last resort for a few reasons.

I HAD to address every single possible safety concern and how I will deal with it in a proposal I wrote to our school board in order to get permission for the trip. Hand lining will make a big mess of line on the ice
->knots/tangles/line being wrapped around feet+hands etc, the chances of a kid touching a hook increases with hand lining....
I want to use the least amount of hand lines possible. MUCH less hassle and safer to use rods. Hand lining is not even an option with the porposal I got approved for. I can get approval to do it, but I know for a fact my students will not be as successful and safe hand lining.

As a phys ed teacher I will not ask my kids to do anything unless the rate of success is very close to 100%. Hand lining will leave a lot of my kids frustrated and un successful.

I have the spacing already figured out. The kids will be in wall tents with their backs against the wall aorund the entire perimeter of the tent. They will be spaced out enough.

Sherrie's email is shhow1@hotmail.com ? Those are some good prices! I won't be buying anything until I see what gets donated first. Things are trickling in. Slowly, but their is a lot of people telling me they will be donating some equipment. I'm just not sure what it will be yet!

Albertadiver
12-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Sounds like I may be headed up to Heart Lake via Lac La Biche from Calgary around Jan 6th. If anyone has stuff to donate that you want delivered, PM me.

Thx

LacLaBicheNS
12-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Sounds like I may be headed up to Heart Lake via Lac La Biche from Calgary around Jan 6th. If anyone has stuff to donate that you want delivered, PM me.

Thx

Thanks!

If your free and want to go fishing send me a pm when your up here.. heart lake is abotu 30 moins north of me.

big
01-01-2010, 10:52 PM
you dont look like a physed teacher rob

mukluk
01-03-2010, 01:17 AM
and you look like an idiot Big

LacLaBicheNS
01-03-2010, 04:32 PM
ok an update.
I talked to forestry and they are willing to loan me some wall tents. I may have a choice between a few smaller ones that I'd have to cut poles for (not a big deal). Or one GIANT one with an aliumium frame. Guy said you can fit about 8 pic nic tables on the big one comfortably. I'm hoping for this one.

I may need a few hands to help me set which ever tent I get. FIsh and game and another group that works in my school division said they may be able to help too.

I have only gotten a few tip ups for donations equipement wise. But I have enough cash donations to buy about 10 rods/reels and some tackle. I have found an auger I can borrow. Things are looking good.

DarkAisling
01-04-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm going to try to get together with AlbertaDiver, so when he heads up there he can drop some stuff off on my behalf. I haven't completely figured out what I'll be sending yet. I think it'll be 4-6 ice reels (I use my standard reels on my ice rods), one ice rod, and a few (won't be many, as I don't have many) little jigs.

LacLaBicheNS
01-05-2010, 09:21 AM
that would be awsome. I shoudl almost have enough rods and reels with your donation!

alittlej
01-09-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm the teacher.....

I know what I'm doing,-I'm a teacher so I know all about supervision. Our school has many rules about supervision and the number of supervisors to kid ratio. I'm also an experienced outdoors person so between that and being a teacher I have it figured out.
and
I think I've said it 4 times already but hand lining is my last resort for a few reasons.
this is why i like our teachers ...... people are trying to help out with advice and experince..... but all that education they have now proves to them that they know it all...... do not get me wrong but hats off to you for trying this!! yes take a kid fishing and teach them something good !!! but you can learn a lot from the teachers of experiance as well....

LacLaBicheNS
01-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm the teacher.....

and
this is why i like our teachers ...... people are trying to help out with advice and experince..... but all that education they have now proves to them that they know it all...... do not get me wrong but hats off to you for trying this!! yes take a kid fishing and teach them something good !!! but you can learn a lot from the teachers of experiance as well....

Your taking my post the wrong way. Don't acuse me that " all that education they have now proves to them that they know it all..". I didn't word it like that so please don't turn it into that. If you read my posts all the organizsation, supervision etc was already done when I posted this. like I also stated I had to write a formal proposal covering all aspects of the trip (exspecially safety) to my super intendant for approval. As I said this was all done and I made my original post to try to gather the equipement as the final peices of the trip.

I will admit mayve I did address the suggest of hand lining a little to harsh, but I addressed it several times before that post.

I am relatively new to on line forums. I will read a lot, but not post as much. I guess I took it for granted that people would read the entire "thread" word for word before they post something themselves. And like we all know, its hard to understand the tone of someones post on the internet. My intended tone may not have been what was percieved from people reading.

Either way, I apologize if I offended anyone or if my post was taken as I meant it to.

Lastly, all the organization is done and I'm just peicing together the equpiement. I have permission to borrow wall tents from ALberta Forestry, I am waiting on a call for a big tower propane heater, I have 2 augers I can borrow, I have a few people who have said they'd help me set up the tent and supervise (I could use more people for the set up if anyone is around and willing to give up a few hours), and I am going to talk to Lac La Biche sporting Goods tonight about equipment. It's looking good! Hoping to send permission forms home next week with the kids.

Cheers!

Albertadiver
01-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Just thought I'd update too. My Trip up your way has been postponed until the end of the month due to some schedule delays on my project. Still will be going, just hope it's not too late.

LacLaBicheNS
01-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Just thought I'd update too. My Trip up your way has been postponed until the end of the month due to some schedule delays on my project. Still will be going, just hope it's not too late.

Not a problem at all. OUr trip won't happen until after Feb 15th. I have to pick the date based on the 14 day long term forecast.

LacLaBicheNS
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
For all those edmonton people.

I will be in Edmonton for a teachers convention in the middle of Feburary and I will be very willing to drive around edmonton to pick up any donations. As of now, I will need just a few more rod/reels (maybe needing 5-7 more) and any perch jigs will be gladly accepted.

thanks again

DarkAisling
01-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Okay, I've got it sorted out. I'll be sending up four reels, four or five ice rods (instead of just one), and some 4 lb line, in addition to a (very) few little jigs. The reels are spinning ice reels. The rods are 2 ULs, 2 MLs, and one medium (if I can find it).

big
01-23-2010, 10:41 PM
and you look like an idiot Big

no, i just look big...good luck with the project btw

LacLaBicheNS
01-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I have enough equpiement to take the kids out for a successful and safe trip. A special thanks to DarkAisling and bunnyhunter for donating, I will get ahold of both of you with a date I will be in edmonton for a conference to pick up your stuff.

I have eveerything booked for March 1st and 2nd if your in the Lac La Biche area and want to say hi. FOr many reasons however I can not allow anyone to volunteer to help the kids fish unless you complete a interview with my schools administration. Its a easy and quick interview to ensure your a safe adult to work with the kids.

Thanks again!

big
02-06-2010, 01:15 AM
glad to see it worked out:wave:

but for next time remember, beggers cant be choosers

Albertadiver
02-08-2010, 11:13 AM
For those that were in contact with me about sending stuff up from Calgary. My Trip is confirmed / booked on the 16th. I'll be taking a large SUV and will arrive in LLB in the evening. (Staying at the Ramada)

I believe this may be past the date of the fishing event, but if not, be happy to truck stuff up there.

DarkAisling
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
For those that were in contact with me about sending stuff up from Calgary. My Trip is confirmed / booked on the 16th. I'll be taking a large SUV and will arrive in LLB in the evening. (Staying at the Ramada)

I believe this may be past the date of the fishing event, but if not, be happy to truck stuff up there.

I'll be sending my stuff up tomorrow in our office's overnight DHL bag to our Edmonton office, so LacLaBicheNS can pick it up there on Thursday while he's in Edmonton for the teachers' convention. I just finalized the details for this today.

Thanks so much for your offer to truck the stuff up, Albertadiver. :)

LacLaBicheNS
03-03-2010, 08:29 AM
We went out monday and tuesday. Kids had a awsome time. Everything worked out perfectly except the fish were not as co-operative as I wished. But all in all it was a great time and we're already planning next years.

Thanks to DarkAisling for her donations!

I will put some pictures up once I figure out our schools photo policies

LacLaBicheNS
03-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Here is our tent we did all our fishing in. I can't put up any other pictures until I figure out which student signed forms to allow their picture on the interner (if there is any!)