PDA

View Full Version : Goldeye

Walleyes
07-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Snuck away from the rig last night for a couple hrs and went down to the Red Deer River and hooked into a couple Goldeye... I am not all that familiar with these fish and I was wondering what kind of table fair do they make ??? they look like they may have some decent fillets on them.. Would like to hear some thoughts on them.....

50BMG
07-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Snuck away from the rig last night for a couple hrs and went down to the Red Deer River and hooked into a couple Goldeye... I am not all that familiar with these fish at all and I was wondering what kind of table fair do they make ??? they look like they may have some decent fillets on them.. Would like to hear some thoughts on them.....

I grew up with them and I didn't like them very much. My fiancee and the girls on the other hand loves them. She says they are an "oily" fish. Her mom is from the Philippines and she loves them as well. She says that they taste just like a fish she grew up eating. I can ask her how she does them up for you if you would like?

And yes they have have pretty good fillets on them.

-NDN-
07-08-2007, 01:45 PM
they are the perfect fish for the smoker. in manitoba, you can buy smoked goldeye at Sobeys

50BMG
07-08-2007, 01:46 PM
^^^^^

that too..forgot..thanks NDN :)

-NDN-
07-08-2007, 01:49 PM
LOL. i tried frying up fillets one time from goldeye from the red deer river, yuck:sick: i prefer my goldeye steaked up on a circle hook, attached to a slip sinker rig, on the bottom of:D a river for catfish

packhuntr
07-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Ya, not at all bad in the smoker, but quite bony those guys are.

keep a strain on er.

Walleyes
07-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Thx guys,,, I think I'll pass on them,,, maybe hold out for a walleye....

packhuntr
07-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Good call.

keep a strain on er.

-NDN-
07-08-2007, 06:43 PM
you could try them, and if you dont like them, dig a hole in the garden and plop them into it for fertilizer:D Goldeyes make tomatoes and big as softballs, and carrots that you can smell in the ground.