PDA

View Full Version : Brown Trout

jriad
11-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Well I am heading out to try and catch some Browns on Saturday (prolly noon to 5ish), likely around Ogden road. I read the Browns spawn from the cement plant to the Ogden each year and was wondering if anyone could offer advice so I can land some doozies (either tackle, spots, or techniques)

notagoodtroutfisher
11-04-2009, 03:27 PM
san juan's. Be careful, some guys get really protective when people are fishin for browns during spawn

troutpirate
11-04-2009, 04:38 PM
isnt that in the part of the bow that is closed oct 1 to nov 30 to protect the spawning browns?

slingshotz
11-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Only above the weir. Below the weir it is open all year (other than the bird sanctuary).

goldscud
11-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Most of the browns should be finished spawning and therefore all skinny and exhausted. Many folks believe it is a good time to let the fish rest a bit while they restock the river for the future.

superspud
11-06-2009, 10:44 AM
i agree with gold scud. let the fish spawning fish have a rest. never cool to kick someone when they are down

elkhunter69
11-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Leave em' be.:mad3: Fish down lower for the rainbows or something.

notagoodtroutfisher
11-07-2009, 12:33 AM
sorry jriad, I see this thread got away from you. Whatever your fishing for is your choice. But if you decide to try for rainbows, go with the san juan, peacock waterboatmen, or a tung stud (if you can find it) if your fly fishing.
If your spinning, use a panther martin brwon trout imitation

danhunt
11-07-2009, 05:04 AM
It may be legal to target those spawning browns, but its not ethical. If you want good fishing in years to come leave them the hell alone.

WayneChristie
11-07-2009, 08:13 AM
what a bunch of :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: theres probably at least 15 or 20 different fish species in that river, so what if someone hooks the odd brown while they are fishing, just play it gentle and release it easy. How in hell are you suppose to control what type of fish takes your lure/bait.???? if you want to baby all the fish in the river throw out your fishing gear and take up knitting.

notagoodtroutfisher
11-07-2009, 10:44 AM
what a bunch of :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: theres probably at least 15 or 20 different fish species in that river, so what if someone hooks the odd brown while they are fishing, just play it gentle and release it easy. How in hell are you suppose to control what type of fish takes your lure/bait.???? if you want to baby all the fish in the river throw out your fishing gear and take up knitting.

Good job Wayne...I agree 100%. If the Browns were really threatened, the CO's would close the spawning areas.

fishpro
11-07-2009, 12:04 PM

Well DUH! It's fine if you accidentally hook one, please show me where in this thread someone said it wasn't. What people are saying is that it's not a good idea to target them, there's a large difference between accidentally catching one and targeting the spawning fish, which is what was originally asked.

1/2 oz Bucktail
11-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Whatever, the browns aren't even native. I say giver hell.

jriad
11-07-2009, 02:12 PM
lol wow. Hypocrit central around here. By targeting spawning browns I was just meaning I was going to fish in the area they spawn. By using raps I catch what I catch.

I guess some people look at that as bad but then again some people look at catching fish as vulgar as well as fish can feel pain. Cast the first stone peeps.

fishpro
11-07-2009, 02:38 PM
lol wow. Hypocrit central around here. By targeting spawning browns I was just meaning I was going to fish in the area they spawn. By using raps I catch what I catch.

I guess some people look at that as bad but then again some people look at catching fish as vulgar as well as fish can feel pain. Cast the first stone peeps.

Either way it's obvious you want to fish in the area the browns are spawning, which most people would interpret as targeting them, and there is a general consensus on here that that's not a good idea.

rustynailz
11-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Targeting spawning fish is BAD.

Now excuse me while I go steelheading and salmon fishing.

DANOMAN
11-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I say if the regulations say it's open and you can fish there then fish away!!

nothing illegal about fishing an open body of water!

my 2 cents! (((((((((((((WAVES @ THE TREE HUGGERS))))))))))

dodger
11-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Targeting spawning fish is BAD.

Now excuse me while I go steelheading and salmon fishing.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Dodger.

seahawkfisher
11-08-2009, 08:48 AM
well said rustynailz

Tony_S
11-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Just got back from the Bow....1 Rainbow, 5 browns (2 males 3 females, all between 16-20 inches) all the Browns were fat, healthy and in top shape. Not a tattered fin in the bunch.

WayneChristie
11-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Way to go Tony. some people just like to worry way too much!