PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Tie Spinner Rigs?

jrcw
11-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I've become a big fan of dragging spinner rigs for walleyes and I'd like to spend some time this winter learning to tie them myself. Does anyone have any tips on techniques? ie. blades, knots, clevises, line etc. Where's a good place to buy the components? There's a lot of options out there so it's tough to choose. Any information would be much appreciated!

I-Love-Eyes
11-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I learned how to tie spinner rigs from a guy who makes his own rigs for "blading" ....easy:lol:

You need:
an assortment of blades--your own choice of colors and shapes-found one that is "perch" colored I really like

beads--any colors you like, but white and chartreuse are the most effective for me

quick change clips--so it is easier to change blade colors without retying the whole rig

hooks--any you prefer, I use #2 or #3 barbless octopus, pair bigger hooks with bigger blades, smaller with smaller

METHOD: I use 10lb test supermono for the leader about an arms length
tie the hook on, add enough beads to equal the length of the blade, add the clip(opening away from hook), one more bead on top and you are done

you can tie a swivel to the top or tie a loop and put the swivel on the main line--second method is better for changing rigs--saves retying everything

I purchased all my components at fishin hole. GOOD LUCK:wave:

Waxy
11-06-2009, 09:36 AM
I haven't bought a spinner rig in years.

Go and buy yourself a selection of beads, floats, blades, and hooks and go for it, there is no wrong answer. Think about not only changing color, but size as well. Bigger and smaller profiles, floats, and blade size are all really important, they not only change how the rig looks to the fish, but how it in runs in the water behind your bouncer. Bigger blades = more lift off the bottom and more vibration and vice versa, blade size also affects the ideal speed for the rig. There are all kinds of blade designs out there, from the inline spinners to the big "hatchet" style blades, and even the "shaky" blades. I'd look at getting an assortment of blade styles over color to start with. For color, I'd stick to the perch, chartreuse and silver with blue/black to start with, with a few orange and greens as well. You can go from there, the sky's the limit on color.

You can buy the components at any decent tackle shop, even C-Tire. I buy mine at The Fishin' Hole. They aren't all that cheap, so expect to plunk down a pretty good chunk of change to get setup, but the fact you get to control the quality and how they're made makes it completely worthwhile. While you're at it, be sure to pick up a few of the tackle tamer rigs to wind your spinner rigs onto for storage, they're a must have. I prefer the rubber ones to the older velcro style.

The biggest thing when actually tying the rigs is to teach yourself to snell a hook. It's really simply once you get the hang of it, and it makes for a quick and professional spinner rig. A quick google search should get you the info on how to do it, better than I could explain it here in words anyway. I prefer two hooks for crawlers, and a single hook for leeches.

I prefer to use 100% Fluorocarbon line, usually 8 or 10lb test, and I tend to tie most of them long, 6-8' or so at first, because it's easier to cut them down than tie a new one if the fish want them long. I use lighter line on my rigs than most, my reasoning being, I prefer to limit the "effect" of the line, and if snagged, I'd rather lose the spinner than the entire bouncer and spinner. If you're using a good reel with the drag set properly, losing fish due to break offs should be a non-issue. Just be sure to check the rigs regularly for damage or wear, and retie when you need to.

I actually really enjoy tying my rigs and experimenting with new ideas and combos, it's kind of therapeutic on those cold winter nights. :D

Waxy

jusfloatin
11-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Here is a couple of mine, they are for pike and as you can see I used wire leader. (these are made with plastic beads I am trying to use up).

You can get kits of all kinds where it comes down to how much you want to spend.

I found that getting my beads from a place that just sells beads, they have a better selection and half the cost. Caution the beads you get from a bead shop are glass and some will say they have they faults ie: break easily (not in my opinion) are heavyier (yes but I would use plastic ones if I was top trolling and I havent done that).

I like the idea of making my own plus I find it makes my beer taste better.

sonny
11-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I also tie my own rigs, I order my blades, beads and other componenents on line , this way i can buy bulk and save money.
One site i use is www.luremaking.com, out of Ontario, they are very good people to deal with, cabelas, Bass Pro are very good as well.
Good Luck, Sonny.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I use to sell these threw my company . To get a good supplier in Canada or US of A good luck . Ive tried countless times to get a new supplier as spinners were # 1 seller . I'm not talking little 3 inch I made 9 and 12 inch Buck tail spinners . Anyway Ill be quiet now .

jrcw
11-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Big thanks to everyone for their responses! I'm looking forward to giving this a go. Better learn that snell knot. About clevises: I really like the idea of the quick change system. I've heard that certain brands (ie. Lindy) have a tendency to lose blades. Does anyone know a good quick-change clevis brand? I like fluorocarbon so I was thinking of going with that for my line. Any hook brand recommendations? I like Gamakatsu so I was thinking of going with them.

WayneChristie
11-06-2009, 06:28 PM
BBJ I made some pike spinners way back too, biggest surprise was actually catching pike with them!!! Its really easy to do, I used solid wire for the spinners. Go crazy and experiment with combos and colours, you never know what the fish will like on a given day. It it doesnt work take them apart and try something different!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-06-2009, 11:59 PM
BBJ I made some pike spinners way back too, biggest surprise was actually catching pike with them!!! Its really easy to do, I used solid wire for the spinners. Go crazy and experiment with combos and colours, you never know what the fish will like on a given day. It it doesnt work take them apart and try something different!

Yep these ones I made are meant and sold for musky but work for trolling for big pike . But Ive had to discontinue selling them . Wayne if you wanna talk more about these pm me , I dont need to get in trouble ab '' ADVERTISEING '' :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

WayneChristie
11-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Yep these ones I made are meant and sold for musky but work for trolling for big pike . But Ive had to discontinue selling them . Wayne if you wanna talk more about these pm me , I dont need to get in trouble ab '' ADVERTISEING '' :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sheet, all the posts we've exchanged I never even knew about your Icon, Pea'se on them :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2: if you have a website PM me the address so I can check it out!
:evilgrin:
we never got to discuss your work at the gathering, too busy watching in awe as you tilted that humoungous bottle of wodka!

Waxy
11-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Big thanks to everyone for their responses! I'm looking forward to giving this a go. Better learn that snell knot. About clevises: I really like the idea of the quick change system. I've heard that certain brands (ie. Lindy) have a tendency to lose blades. Does anyone know a good quick-change clevis brand? I like fluorocarbon so I was thinking of going with that for my line. Any hook brand recommendations? I like Gamakatsu so I was thinking of going with them.

The quick change clevises are definitely the way to go. I've never had a problem with losing blades, and I've used all kinds of them over the years, I never really pay attention to the brand.

I dont' think you can go wrong with any of the brand name hooks - Gamakatsu, Eagle Claw, Mustad, etc..., I'd just avoid some the "cheap" brands, because they are exactly that.

Get yourself some quality swivels as well to tie on the terminal end, and don't go too big! Read the ratings on them, you'd be surprised how strong even the smallest ones are rated to in lbs test, and they still work great.

Waxy

fishincrazy
11-09-2009, 12:36 PM
For your beads check out Micheals ( big craft store) Walmart, dollar stores, craft stores and hobbie shops. I have found some excellent beads at all of the above. I am a firm believer in adding Red colored beads, no matter the color, and red hooks into my spinners to imitate blood. I also put a drop of crazy glue on all of my knots. You can check out ebay for blades but have found that the Fishin Hole and Wholesale Sports have got a good selection. Be sure to look thru all of the fishing stuff at Wholesale as the blades scatered all over. I also believe in putting at least one float on to keep the spinner at the fishes eye level. Luremaking.com is a economical place to buy your floats etc. When fishing the spinner use a heavy enough bottom bouncer to keep contact with the bottom and your line at about 45 degrees. Make note that the different types of blades spin at different trolling speeds. I have started a night crawler farm at home, we will see how that goes? Good luck!

fishforsport
11-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Hey JRCW,

Drop by the Fishin' Hole - North sometime and I'll show you how I tie up rigs.

Tight Lines !!

Brian Wiebe - Manager

honker_clonker
11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
If you are looking for good Fluorocarbon and have a bit of time to kill until it arrives, get some Yo-zuri HD carbon pink fluorocarbon. The lowest pound is 15 though and you would probably want less. I use this stuff as leader and it is the strongest, best priced fluoro I have come across. I got it from Cabelas. You get 100 yards of 25 pound for 23 bucks! Comparable to anything that you get here its quite a deal. Incredibly abrasion resistant stuff and a little stiff. Might work really well on spinner rigs. I used my 25 lb on a few with great results. Many pike and walleyes with only 1 lost fish, which was small and after many before it.

jrcw
11-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Great tips everyone! There's definetely some experience on here. Thanks!

Donkey Slayer
11-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Link to intsructions on making spinner baits

http://dns.advnet.net/mkg/index.htm