PDA

View Full Version : Newell or The Forks?

fourty12
11-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Thinking about going to either Lake Newell (Pike and Walleye) or The Forks (Sturgeon, Walleye, Goldeye) and can't decide. Given the time of year and your experience at either/both, what would you suggest? Thanks.

AlbertaAngler
11-06-2009, 09:29 AM
with a boat or from shore?

fourty12
11-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Sorry, should have mentioned that. Have an 11 foot fiberglass with a 7.5 hp motor.

AlbertaAngler
11-06-2009, 10:07 AM
My choice would be the forks although Newell is a good choice as well. The Forks is fairly sheltered so wind wouldn't be an issue and there are some big eye's to catch there (I caught a 32" eye there last week). Pretty quiet there now as well I wouldn't expect there to be more than a few boats there if any. Good luck whichever one you go to.

fourty12
11-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the reply AlbertaAngler. Have you had much luck with sturgeon at the forks? If you don't mind, what do you use for a rig? What about the eyes?

AlbertaAngler
11-06-2009, 10:59 AM
I've never fish for sturgeon there or anywhere to be honest so I can't help you out there. For the walleye a jig without a body and minnow worked with a slow presentation they didn't seem to be very aggressive.

fourty12
11-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Great thanks AlbertaAngler. Anyone else have any input about sturgeon fishing at the forks vs. Lake Newell?

WayneChristie
11-06-2009, 02:51 PM
there were only 2 boats at the Forks yesterday. It was fairly windy, but Newell is going to be crazy windy this weekend, we have a wind warning right now. Its supposed to drop off a bit on Sunday, but I dont think Id chance it in a small boat. You can put your boat in at the forks ok, watched a much bigger one put in yesterday. River is down a bit, but still looked good.

fourty12
11-06-2009, 03:39 PM
WayneChristie did you catch anything yesterday at the forks?

WayneChristie
11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I didnt catch anything yesterday, just stopped in for a few minutes. I think the people in the jet boat had some luck, I wasnt really paying attention. I dont know about sturgeon there this time of year, but I know there are a lot of different species in the river, and most people seem to use minnows for bait.

castaway
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
i've always had really good luck @ the Forks with a jointed Rapala for a species of fish. i just wish the Grassy Lake hotel was still open so a guy could still warm up inside with a beer or two this time of year. good luck!