PDA

View Full Version : marine batteries

danewfy
07-09-2007, 05:18 PM
could someone please tell me the proper setting on a battery charger for charging my 12v marine battery? (12v-2amp)(12v-6amp) and how long should it be left on for? I fried my first battery when i left it on too long ie. all the water drained from it. Incidentally is there any way to restore the old one? any info would be greatly appreciated.

lilsundance
07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
It will all depend on your charger. If you are going to leave it over night use the lowest amp charge you can. 2 amp. If your only puting the charger on for an hour or two then the higher amp will do fine.
As for restoring an old battery nothing I have seen works to any degree worth the money.

chef
07-09-2007, 07:56 PM
What you need is an automatic set charger with 12 v 2/6 amp selectable deep cycle or low maintenance for long slow charge which is usually 24 hrs or a 2 amp storage charger which is automatic and you can leave it on there forever , they are 50 bucks .crappy tire .
If you using a manual charger , you can overcharge and boil the acid dry , which you did . a good charger on sale at crappy is about 60 bucks or 80 to 90 .
Worth the expense when you consider the price of batteries.
12 v 6 amp will charge faster but will not give the right charge you need , which is a deep cycle charge .

RandyBoBandy
07-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I've had GREAT success with my customers using the BatteryTender in thier boats and jetski's..
http://batterytender.com/
You can get this at Battery World in Edmonton or order online..it's awesome!

danewfy
07-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys.