PDA

View Full Version : I am an athlete... This is MY sport.

Bassett
11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Wether your a coach, player or a fan everyone must have a sport they partake in. My self when I was young I player soccer for 5 or more years now im a football player, might join rugby soon.

What is your sport?
Are you a coach, fan or player?

Just for fun, Play safe!

Bassett.

goober
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Growing up I played all sports. Now I am all hockey. Play, coach, scout and watch lots of hockey. I do not get to play as much now as coaching and scouting seem to have taken over.

fish-man
11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Wrestler. Haven't competed for a few years now.

Geezle
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
When I was younger I played baseball and was in judo for a few years as well.

These days I'm mostly a spectator when I have the time (rarely) I like watching football, but I haven't been able to keep up with what's going on at all this year :o

hunter10
11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Played hockey my whole life. Quit last year. tired of everyone thinking its just about AA or AAA.

I really really like to play golf. One of the best past times, IMO.

whitetailman
11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
who do u scout for? i play u-16 midget aaa....lol:wave:

elkhunter11
11-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Retired from motocross,jet ski racing,snowmobile racing,kick boxing,hockey.I still like to mountain bike and work out.

Little Red Man
11-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Uhh....you forgot the most important sports......Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping.......

Bassett
11-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Uhh....you forgot the most important sports......Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping.......

Yea yea yea if you noticed theres alot of sports i missed i cant fit them all. If i put hunting fishing ect. its a no brainer its an outdoorsforum...:rolleye2:

theduke
11-10-2009, 11:06 PM
played football for 13 years its kinda hard toplay after high school in canada,but have been playing rugby for13 plus years still play semi-pro, teams played for team alberta and calgary, and play for a calgary club aswell. unfortantly i havent rep'ed my country yet due to my life style but a few of my buddies play for canada. but have had the honor to play for my prov. and my city.

TreeGuy
11-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I've been employed as a professional industrial athlete for the past 14 years, but previous to and since that, I have.......

Played high level hockey until I finished university.
Cycled (off and on road).
A bit of football.
Soccer.
Golf.
Tennis.
Sport climbed.
Bouldered.
Mountaineered (Scrambling mainly).
Skied tons with a bit of snowboarding.
Lipped off Mrs. Tree.........extreme sport to say the least!:D

Be safe, be active.

Tree

Plummerbutt
11-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Rodeo for 17 years...8 as a bullrider and 9 as a bullfighter. Boxer for 4 years. Now I play Hockey and Hunt, these are my sports today.

Baulde
11-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Grew up dirtbiking, now primarily rock climbing/bouldering. And in the winter climbing indoors, skiing and shinny hockey.

russ
11-10-2009, 11:48 PM
If you're gonna list curling & golf you may as well list archery ;)

mariazero1
11-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Hi ,
I'm a huge fan of Football, Hockey and rugby ... I'm a good hockey player too. i'm not a coach but I'm a good captain of my college team. Under my leadership I gifted many medals to my team ...

Jeromeo
11-10-2009, 11:57 PM
I play Lacrosse. I think the hockey and Lacrosse should be separate. They are different sports after all.

oldgutpile
11-11-2009, 04:52 AM
you forgot the shooting sports eg., sporting clays, trap, etc., as well as a few other favorites for this site such as hunting, fishing, .........

packhuntr
11-11-2009, 05:26 AM
you forgot the shooting sports eg., sporting clays, trap, etc., as well as a few other favorites for this site such as hunting, fishing, .........

Sounds about right to me Oldgutpile!
I grew up with rodeo. Team roping, bareback horses starting in grade 9, got on prob just over 100 head, and a big bunch of wild horse racing. In 2000, ended up at the Crown Royal World Championship Wild Horse Races in Rapid City Livestock Show and Rodeo in S.D. after finishing in the top of the heap in Canada. End result there was a 2nd, Reserve World Champions for 2000. Good times in life, but fast and fairly volatile. Now its back to normal, all about the family, hunting and fishing. The only things that mattered as a youth, are apparently the only things that matter now. Suits me just fine.

midgetwaiter
11-11-2009, 05:29 AM
I should vote for Tater but I don't want to. I folded my ankle over playing football when I was 17 and haven't been able to run much since, it just never healed right. In fact I never noticed until somebody pointed it out to me a while ago but I still walk kind of funny sometimes when it gets stiff.

I played everything when I was a kid but I miss rugby most of all, there is a team spirit that comes with that game you don't often find. Maybe it's just spirits in the more liquid sense though :evilgrin:

dodger
11-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Played pro soccer, remember the Calgary Boomers ?? :lol:, some boxing or was it hockey? can't remember from to many blows to the noggin. On a side note I'm proud to say my dad was a pitcher with the 1958 Brooklyn Dodgers hence the name :wave:
Dodger.

Ruger1022
11-11-2009, 08:44 AM
got paid to skateboard for 4 years..:D

catnthehat
11-11-2009, 08:58 AM
I played lacrosse when I was younger, Canada's NATIONAL sport!:cool:
I think they have a gentleman's league in the Fort, and if they do i may join nnext year.
At this time I have to watch my body because the trade I'm in is hard enough on joints, let alone messing with athletics on my off days!
never could skate, never watched hockey too much.
I enjoy watching golf and baseball on TV however.

Cat

clarki
11-11-2009, 09:11 AM
played football for 13 years its kinda hard toplay after high school in canada,but have been playing rugby for13 plus years still play semi-pro, teams played for team alberta and calgary, and play for a calgary club aswell. unfortantly i havent rep'ed my country yet due to my life style but a few of my buddies play for canada. but have had the honor to play for my prov. and my city.

who do you play "semi-pro" for??

M

Hoochie Papa
11-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I rodeoed 14 years when I was younger too. Now I am all about hockey.
I would love to play, but my working out of town doesn't let me commit to a team, and I aint the best skater out there. I'd rather be a goalie anyways.

Tundra Monkey
11-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Canada's NATIONAL sport!:cool: Cat

Hockey as well there Cat....officially made it so a couple of years back ;)

tm

Tundra Monkey
11-11-2009, 09:29 AM
a big bunch of wild horse racing. In 2000, ended up at the Crown Royal World Championship Wild Horse Races in Rapid City Livestock Show and Rodeo in S.D. after finishing in the top of the heap in Canada. End result there was a 2nd, Reserve World Champions for 2000.

:lol::lol: You're an ol' "ear biter" are ya ;)

tm

Doodle30
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Fastpitch until a couple of years ago.

Golf is the only thing I do regularly these days. It would be nice to enjoy something a little cheaper.

catnthehat
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Hockey as well there Cat....officially made it so a couple of years back ;)

tm
NEVER in my books!:lol:
Next we'll see soccer included, just because.....
Cat

Frans
11-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Biathlon.

Frans

Albertabowhunter
11-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Hockey, now I traded in the skeates for runners and am playing ball hockey this winter.

elkhunter11
11-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Next we'll see soccer included, just because...

Soccer is for people that can't skate!:D

Cappy
11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I grew up playing fastball. Played to its's highest levels in my early 20's. Then it took a back seat to my career and finally left the sport 2 seasons ago because the kids are too busy now...hopefully might get back into it.

Also played football and soccer. Little bit of golf and tennis.

Now all I play is indoor soccer, more for the excersise than anything.

My son plays hockey so that is a big interest now as well.

gramps73
11-11-2009, 05:30 PM
wow the couch looks pretty good, in my younger days I played hockey in the winter and ball in the summer. now i drink beer in the summer and hunt in the fall..:lol:

goober
11-11-2009, 06:40 PM
who do u scout for? i play u-16 midget aaa....lol:wave:

Do you mean the REM15 Midget AAA? I have never heard of a U16 AAA league. I am a contract scout so I work for who ever needs it.

unclebuck
11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I played hockey for St. Peter's College in Muenster, Sask. a team that pounded the bejesus out of the Hounds of Notre Dame(while Father Athol Murray was the poobah). While we played, Pere Murray and Abbot Jerome(a draftee of the Leafs in the 40's) bet on the games and drank Scotch while we played our asses off and regularly beat ND. A bunch of German farm kids from a small area playing a bunch of kids from all over Canada, showing them how the game was played. Jamie would only know to well!!!!!

Clgy_Dave2.0
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Hockey all my life. Started at 5 and played til my mid 40's...just a couple of years ago. Many teammates of mine made it to the show. I played out of UBC. Then after juniors I ended up playing a lot of "Mens" leagues. What started in the 80s as just "beer leagues" have now progressed to some very high-end hockey. I've played with guys like Dave Archibald of Ottawa Senators and Craig Redmond (4th overall pick of LA Kings), as well as many other pro and semi-pro players. Unfortunately many of these leagues also get "goons" who still think the scouts are watching them. I wasn't a big player (190 lbs at my best) but never shy'd away from "dropping the gloves". But I was "old school"...go toe-to-toe with a guy and could sit in the stands 5 minutes later and have a beer with him. But the last couple of years got ridiculous. Last straw was playing "rec" hockey here in Calgary and had a guy who had a good 50 lbs on me and put me in the hospital...kept feedin 'em to me even after I was "out" on the ice. I'd like to play again...but I'll wait til I can play with "silver haired" guys who just want to have fun.

huntinstuff
11-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Fastball pitcher...(I was the batboy for the Queen and her Court)

And I was the star of the 1974 Waterhole Rodeo:D

Tundra Monkey
11-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Fastball pitcher

You don't happen to know Paul Gard or Andy Tereposky do you??

tm

Okotokian
11-12-2009, 08:51 AM
soccer and baseball as a young kid, soccer in high school, rugby in university. Picked up golf later and still play. Last organized team sport I played was actually Master's lacrosse in my late 40's. Only golf and hunting/fishing remain, not great at any. :lol:

The Fisherman Guy
11-12-2009, 10:36 AM
It all began with fishing for me, go figure :rolleyes:

Since I could walk my brother put a rod in my hand, and I have chased fish everywhere since then as my #1 sport. I chased a dream of being a professional hockey player for many years, but the politics were too much for me. I picked up snowboarding 14 years ago, and made it pretty far in that game but injured myself more times in one season than I did my entire time playing stick and puck. But my list is as follows.

Fishing
Hockey
Soccer
Snowboarding
Tennis
Rugby
Basketball
and now....Hunting.

I still snowboard a great deal, but the injuries are hard to take. I have broken my back, chipped teeth, blown my left knee badly, and could've died from internal bleeding from a collision with some bedrock. Still love it, and will continue to until I get my back rodie 5's dialed off a ten. :evilgrin:

FishBrain
11-12-2009, 11:03 AM
I chose befoer I read your post, I am a couch potatoe by sport, but LOVE to watch Hockey

huntinstuff
11-12-2009, 11:32 AM
You don't happen to know Paul Gard or Andy Tereposky do you??

tm

Ive heard of Tereposky.....was he in Sask????
My dad pitched and knew Eddie Feigner (The King).......I got to meet him after he was "retired"

Tundra Monkey
11-12-2009, 12:42 PM
He still pitches up here. Both him and Gard pitched for a travelling team out of BC and made their living at it for awhile.....man could they chuck em' in their hayday.

Fastball was pretty huge up here in the 70's and early 80's....used to be a $100 000 or so bet between Uranium City and YK back in the day. We'd get a few hundred out to league games back then.

The mines would import guys from Ontario and give em' jobs LOL. Some of the best were guys like Juggy Joddrell off the 72' team that won the World Fastball Championship....unreal hands and bats. I think they were a club team from S. Ont. who won Nats. and then went to Guam and won it all.

Kinda nice to have guys like that to learn from.

That damn Feigner picked me off first in one of their shows up here......threw to first (behind his back) instead of going to the plate....I didn't see that one coming :lol:

tm

MikeSpike
11-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Weightlifting and JuJitsu (a bit of kickboxing as well)
Archery - for fun and for the hunting skills

The one I and thinking about adding - 300WinMag Biathalon - might be a great way to hunt if it snows.