PDA

View Full Version : Nov 11/09

moosemad
11-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Heres to all the vets and active soldiers that have made Canada what it is today. Breaks my heart to think most people just consider it a holiday and have no thoughts for someone else standing up for our rights. Canadians have always been known to go where no one else would and fight hard for our freedom. Thanks guys.

hal53
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
x2!!!...God Bless Them All....wherever you guys/gals are tomorrow at 1100 Hrs. , Pause for a moment and give thanks to the people that made it possible
Hal

Bassett
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
x2!!!...God Bless Them All(Hal53)
X3.

All of my family was basically in WW2. My cousin is currently in Afgahnistan, hes been alot of times also to iraq. But hes with british forces.

Whos family was also in or still is in the war?

hal53
11-10-2009, 07:41 PM
My dad spent the last 2 years of WW2 in the airforce, my daughter did 9 mos. in Afghanistan.... when I was a little guy, didn't matter where we were deer hunting, at about 1030 or so we'd head to the closest small town for the ceremony
"Those That Don't Learn From History Will Be Forced To Repeat It"
H

duceman
11-10-2009, 07:44 PM
x2!!!...God Bless Them All....wherever you guys/gals are tomorrow at 1100 Hrs. , Pause for a moment and give thanks to the people that made it possible
Hal

x10. as i get farther along, the more i think about this day. my poppy donations go up every year. hats off to all the military, they are doing a job most of us wouldn't consider.
personally paying respects to my grandad,:wave:, now gone, lee.

MuleyMonster
11-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Still to this day wear a poppy on my hunting clothes if I am out on November 11th. Still make sure that I observe a moment of silence at 11am and nothing is shot around that moment of silence. Have had to let a couple of deer go over the years but in respect for those in service, who have served and have fallen its a small price to pay. God bless them all.

JohninAB
11-10-2009, 07:45 PM
My grandfather was wounded at Hill 70 in March 1918 by German shrapnel. Always stop at 11 on Nov 11 to observe a moment of silence.

TakDriver00
11-10-2009, 07:49 PM
It's been said a thousand times, but it's never enough...If you're reading this, thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English, thank a vet..

God bless those that have served, and who are currently serving in the armed forces, and thank you.

Respectfully,
Shawn

Bassett
11-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I know im still really young and my dad and mom say i have the brains to do what ever i want blah blah blah...
I want to join the army. But my parents say no way in heck. oh well..

redneck posse
11-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Remembrance Day in Kandahar a time to reflect on bigger picture
By Jonathan Montpetit (CP) – 2 days ago

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — It's been seven long years since the official start of Canada's mission in Afghanistan, a period marked by equal parts confusion, stoicism and pride.

But if it can be easy to lose sight of what the mission means, something as simple as minute of silence next to a grey and black cenotaph can quickly bring it back into perspective.

When Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan gather to mark Remembrance Day this Wednesday, most will be thinking of the 133 names inscribed on the marble monument by the army's headquarters at Kandahar Airfield, weighing up what's been sacrificed versus what's been gained.

"I (will) do a little bit of a personal assessment about whether or not I've done everything I possibly could ... to have moved the project forward, to have helped the Afghans," said Capt. Darcy Heddon of Edmonton, Alta.

"It's always tragic to lose your friends, lose your colleagues, but the best way to get through it and make it meaningful is to think about what it is you need to do next."

For many, Remembrance Day is a chance to step back from everyday routines and keep that bigger picture in mind.

"It's an opportunity for me to reflect, to remember those who have passed away," said the Canadian mission's deputy commander, Col. Roch Lacroix of Ottawa.

"In Afghanistan, those individuals have played a major role in the stabilization effort here in Kandahar. They are individuals who have made the ultimate sacrifice to make the Afghans's lives much better."

But the search for meaning that's usually triggered each Nov. 11 is for many soldiers not only about making sense of the current war, but also to wonder about their place in history.

"The guys who've gone before us did their thing, we're doing our thing," said Capt. Gary Silliker, a member of 14 Air Engineer Squadron, from Bridgewater, N.S.

"I'm an old soldier now, but I look at the young lads out here and think, you know, they're cutting it just as good. And even the old veterans back home say, 'You know, the young lads are doing a damn good job."'

Warrant Officer Patrice Chartrand, of CFB Valcartier in Quebec, was also eager to place the exploits of Canada's soldiers in Afghanistan alongside those from previous wars.

"You can talk about the bravery of Generation X, Y, Z, but the way some of my guys behaved in battle was truly amazing," he said. "They acted with a complete disregard for danger, and were just worried about protecting their buddies."

For Lt. Eddie Kamps of Surrey, B.C., Remembrance Day is about drawing a line between his experience in Afghanistan and those of his Dutch grandparents in the Second World War.

"I'll be remembering the lives of our most recent fallen, but also the lives of Canadian soldiers that were lost liberating my family so that they could have the opportunity to live in peace and freedom," he said.

"I don't want to lose sight of all the past sacrifices from the Boer War, First World War, Second World War, Korea and every operation in between. It's important to remember everybody, especially given the recent experiences that we've had here."

While they await history's judgement on how they fared in a country known as the graveyard of empires, they take heart knowing their sacrifices will be remembered, no matter the outcome.

"They are the new generation of veterans that we have now in Canada," said Lacroix.

"They're heroes, like all veterans are heroes of Canada."

Copyright © 2009

here to all the men and women that are serving and have served you have my deepest respect. and to all the members of our armed forces come home safe.

hal53
11-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I know im still really young and my dad and mom say i have the brains to do what ever i want blah blah blah...
I want to join the army. But my parents say no way in heck. oh well..
Only "YOU" Can decide that when you're old enough...wasn't too happy when my daughter announced she was joining...but damn proud of her now!!!

sinawalli
11-10-2009, 08:04 PM
A drink with living, and a toast to the dead!! Cheers!

bbbhunter
11-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Heres to all the vets and active soldiers that have made Canada what it is today. Breaks my heart to think most people just consider it a holiday and have no thoughts for someone else standing up for our rights. Canadians have always been known to go where no one else would and fight hard for our freedom. Thanks guys.

Great start for a great thread...my Dad was a WW2 veteran ,was there for the entire campaign and had the enviable duty of driving ammo and artillary trucks to the front lines...needless to say he had a few stories some good some bad and some real bad, he passed away last fall at 91 years..toughest man I have ever met. I hope peaple never forget....ever.

TreeGuy
11-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Good post MM.

I had one Grandfather serve as a Navy cook for 3 years. My other Grandfather was overseas from the onset in the infantry. He was captured and spent almost 4 years in a hellish POW camp. Was eventually freed and made it home. 6' 1" and 72lbs........he passed when my Dad was 13.

Thank you, and God Bless all of those past and present for being braver and more nobel than almost of us.

Tree

Selkirk
11-10-2009, 10:28 PM

Thanks for starting this thread Moosemad. 'Hats Off' to you! :wave:

We have lost a good many over the years, while fighting to maintain our freedom, and fighting for the freedom of others. From Vimy Ridge to Afganistan we have done well, and our country proud. As most of us know, freedom is not 'free' ... "The cost of Freedom lies buried in the ground".

I could ramble on, but maybe I should just let this vid express my further feelings. Turn your volume up a tad; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3IutxvltBM&feature=related

A moment of silence please . . .

http://enyblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/remembrance_day1111061.jpg
http://www.dsb1.edu.on.ca/resources/remembrance/images/beny-sur-mer2.jpg
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2009/11/03/f-remembranceday-cp-584.jpg

'For our tomorrow, they gave their today'

TF

Matt L.
11-10-2009, 10:36 PM
I'll be at the local ceremony tomorrow. There's quite a few vets in Wct, and Remembrance Day will always be specially remembred here. On July 4, 2007, Cpl. Cole Bartsch was killed in Afghanistan.

We will remember them!

FishinFreak
11-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Many of my family are soilders or married to soilders; both my grandfathers were in WWII. They both came back and never spoke of it. When I was younger I was at a ceremony with the one all us kids called Poppy. I watched a old stooped man draw himself erect and proudly march up to lay a wreath in memory of fallen comrades and friends and then I watched him cry ..... I never seen him do that before or again. I promised him that day I would never forget and always be thankful for what soilders do and I promised him my kids would know and their kids would know, God willing, why Remembrance Day is important. I haven't broke that promise, my kids know. I got to work tommorrow BUT at 11am there will be a orange Kenworth at idle and the oilfeild can wait; soilders past and present deserve atleast that... and so do their families.

The Fisherman Guy
11-11-2009, 12:20 AM
My grandfather was in the army in world war one, and was lucky enough to survive and have my mother and her two sisters. He and many others are the reason I am here to remember today.

Thank you Veterans, and those currently enlisted. I owe my freedom and the luxury of living in the best place in the world to you.

BrownBear416
11-11-2009, 12:32 AM
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

My thoughts and prayers go out to the men and woman who provide the freedom I enjoy everyday..

Bravest people in the world .....

My friend Miss in Afganistan last year at this time.Happy she is home this year.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/BrownBear416/miss.jpg

oldgutpile
11-11-2009, 04:48 AM
To all of our nation's heros, past and present.........SALUTE!!!!!

Huntsman
11-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Moosemad, things like this are what make us soldiers feel appreciated for what we are doing and what we are continuing to try and do.
As I write (type) this, we have already paid our tribute to the fallen, past and present. But the message still carries the same meaning regardless of time zone. My wife & daughter back in Wainwright are preparing themselves to attend the ceremonies there and I hope that everyone takes the time to do the same.
Thanks again,

Lest We Forget

dmckay
11-11-2009, 10:19 AM
No amount of thanks could ever be enough. To all the men and women that have and will protect our freedoms while risking their own lives, God Bless you!

Be safe

We will never forget you

cujo1969
11-11-2009, 11:47 AM
i hope we will never forget the sacrifices made for our own freedoms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYlrrAWCTRg