PDA

View Full Version : line tangles!!

Rapala
11-11-2009, 11:07 AM
can anyone help me with my fishing line tangles... like every 10 casts, if i dont close the reel fast enough, my lines gets tangled bad and its really frustrating. the line coils alot and gets tangled.... any ideas why??

mooseknuckle
11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
me thinks you need new line. What type of reel are you using?

TimC
11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
got got the line twisted when you load the reel or you kept reeling when fish taking drag on a spinning reel, that will twist your line also.

and don't try to use fluorocarbon line on a spinning reel either, it will just pop out!. don't ask me how i know:rolleyes:

WayneChristie
11-11-2009, 11:34 AM
you are putting too much line on your reel when you fill it. Dont fill it right to the edge of your spool.

fishstix
11-11-2009, 12:08 PM
If you have too much line it will spool off as soon as it gets a little slack in there. You could try taking some off. also if your line is twisted you could put a swivel on the end and walk out a bunch of line. The swivel will let the line spin back to normal. If your line is older it could be "curly" Try stretching it by attaching the end to a fence and walking away with your rod. When you get far enough out stop and pull the line and stretch it. This will take away all the twists.

Morph1
11-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Sounds like too much line on your spool,
when reeling back try to put some tention to your line , I usually hold the line with my hand against the rod every few casts, this way it winds up nice and tight back on the spool.

Hope this helps,

Cheers !

gallileo
11-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Here is a video clip from which I learned how to spool line onto the reel to avoid tangling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDYquiQKa1A

I hope it will help.

Geezle
11-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Could be too much line, could be line twist/wind knots.

How long have you had this line on the spool? Was it like this from the beginning, or is it a problem that has developed over time? Do you use a swivel on your line, or do you just tie your lures on?

Walleyes
11-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Good also be some pretty heavy line.. What test are you running. I find anything over 12 pound it starts to get tuff to handle..

Freedom55
11-12-2009, 06:34 AM
The package that line comes in has an instruction manual printed on the back. Read it before you wind'r up. You cannot fix twisted line so if it's put on wrong, yer done. Time to re-spool. Same as reeling. If you are not bringing in line when you are winding, stop winding.
Another way to avoid twisted line is to use more than one (high quality) swivel when using spinning or rotating bait.Dave

slingshotz
11-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Really cheap line that suffers from memory effects will cause this as well. As many others mentioned, make sure the spools is not overfilled. If you are fishing the Bow you can chuck out the line into the water, let all the line out and wind it back when the water has carried all the line out.

Geezle
11-13-2009, 06:32 AM
Really cheap line that suffers from memory effects will cause this as well. As many others mentioned, make sure the spools is not overfilled. If you are fishing the Bow you can chuck out the line into the water, let all the line out and wind it back when the water has carried all the line out.

Good point about the cheap line. I have some 10lb Red Wolf line on one of my reels (needed to re-spool and it's all I had with me at the time) and all I can say is WOW MEMORY! The stuff hasn't seen much use, but it always comes off in wicked coils.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-13-2009, 03:10 PM
AS the others have said , Either to much line on your spool , The line is to heavy you have on your spool , or you need to put a 1 oz spoon on there cast it out as far as you can and tighten up your line .

I think a few other questions need to be answered here .

What kind of reel are you using ?

What kind of line and what lb are you using ?

Did you line your own spool ?

Rapala
11-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone, i guess its too much line on my reel because its almost up to the edge of my reel. ill try taking some off for sure

DarkAisling
11-20-2009, 08:39 PM
It could be that whatever lures you're using are too light for your line and they aren't keeping the line taught.

I was having basically the same problem. When Baitfisher saw it happen in person, she determined the source of the problem immediately: the little jigs I was casting weren't heavy enough for the line.