PDA

View Full Version : The Bow?

ElDiablo
07-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Any other regular Bow River fanatics 'round here?

Scott N
07-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I like to fish the Bow, but I find myself fishing other waters a lot more these days because of the crowds on the Bow. I find it kind if irritating when "guides" float their clients over the same piece of water I'm fishing as if I wasn't there. Or people in canoes and rafts that will float between me and the bank when I'm wading in the river.

I prefer the Bow more in the "off season" in the early spring or fall, when not so many people are using it. It's hard to argue with the quality of fish it produces though, and it sure is nice when you can have the whole river to yourself!

Remi
07-11-2007, 10:35 AM
I hear ya Scott. I like to wade and drift the Bow but I would rather not do either on a weekend. The crowds are getting crazy for this part of the world. Heck even yesterday was busier than I would have liked it. There's lots of river though and folks should be able to give each other plenty of room. You wouldn't know it from the guide that cut me off twice while I was trying to ferry to the other side (to give him some room). It's not the same river it was 5 years ago, there is next to no solitude to be had, but the fish are still big and angry so I guess you just have to take the good with the bad. I'm hoping the next time I can drift it the weather will be so bad it keeps some folks off the water. Happy hooking.

Remi

ElDiablo
07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Yet another example of why this province so desperatley needs to license and regulate fishing guides. With all the money everyone in this province is making right now, anybody with an interest in fly fishing and 5 grand to spare has a drift boat. Then they print up some business cards, and they're a pro fishing guide. Most of them don't have a clue how to use proper river etiquette. I was stalking a rising fish the other night on a high bank in the city, and watched a boat drifting about 30 ft from the bank, about 200 yards upstream from me. Usually when you wave at them, they see you and give you some room. This idiot kept right on floating closer and closer, I kept waving and eventually... he waved back :wave: , but kept coming. When he passed within about 20 feet of me and asked "hows the fishin?", I said" you just spooked my fish", the guy says " Hey, these fellas arn't payin $600 to watch you catch a fish". What a professional attitude eh? His clients seemed a little embarassed, one of them muttered "sorry 'bout that" and they kept on floating.

Maybe a guy needs to chuck a rock or 2 once in a while.

-NDN-
07-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Any other regular Bow River fanatics 'round here?

i pretty much only fish upper bow by Canmore. Dont really care so much to catch trout , or i should say not worried. Im after the rocky mountain whitefish

ElDiablo
07-11-2007, 01:05 PM
So many guys down here throw them on the bank or call them "suckers". I think they're a blast to go after. In October, we go out on Sundays and fish 'em in the deep pools as they're makin their spawning run. It's a hoot.

ULTRAlite
07-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Do you have a go to fly for the white's around canmore?

Dewie
07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I love the Bow. I fish way down River by caresland weir, but I also have a river boat. Before people bash me I always use common sence when passing fisherman. Trust me everyone that is out there thinks that Iam a jerk and that i am going to cut between them and the shore but I am not. So the next time you see a jet boat go by you and he slows down and goes to the opisite side of the river and gives a wave maybe it wouldn't hurt to wave back.

P.S. Some of us are still respectful.:innocent:

quad_hopper
07-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Okay, I have read a lot about the Bow being so good to fish. What am I doing wrong?? I'm not fly fishing or in a boat. Is it still possible to catch fish? I've tried several locations but just seem to lose a lot of tackle.

Could someone help me out?? I really love fishing, grew up fishing in Sask but haven't found the fishing in Alberta nearly as good but hear it's fantastic here. I have never had any luck.

Thanks in advance for any tips....

Dewie
07-11-2007, 08:28 PM
What is it that you are using. I never fly fish the bow because you catch more fish using hard tackle i find.

catnthehat
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I love the Bow. I fish way down River by caresland weir, but I also have a river boat. Before people bash me I always use common sence when passing fisherman. Trust me everyone that is out there thinks that Iam a jerk and that i am going to cut between them and the shore but I am not. So the next time you see a jet boat go by you and he slows down and goes to the opisite side of the river and gives a wave maybe it wouldn't hurt to wave back.

P.S. Some of us are still respectful.:innocent:

Whatcha runnin' for an outfit Dewie?
Mine's a a nice little 18/120lite marathon.

I like the smaller boats 'cause I can sneak into the back waters without being on plane and can beach it anywhere I want.
Cat

Dewie
07-12-2007, 12:08 AM
I run a 2005 G3 16 foot with a yamaha 30/40. I love it you are right about smaller boats there great for the bow as well as shallower waters. Happy trails on the bow if you get the chance post some pics.

Versatile
07-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Hey guys I will be heading to the bow this weekend. I have heard caddis are working so I stocked up on those. I think I bought every pattern on the shelf. I also bought some Yellow Indacators, Orange Indacators, Big beadhead leeches, some streamers, and some minnow patterns. I have some Icecream cones, san Jaun worms, PMD, Mosquitos, and some small fish (bigger than minnow) patterns. Anything else I should try?

I equipted my rod with some 12 lb sinking leader and some 7 lb tippet. Anything else I should be looking at?

-NDN-
07-12-2007, 04:55 AM
Do you have a go to fly for the white's around canmore?

i dont know what its called, but its in canmore, downstream of some bridge, and it forks a little bit downstream of the bridge. Wish i knew the name of the area to tell you

Hey guys I will be heading to the bow this weekend. I have heard caddis are working so I stocked up on those. I think I bought every pattern on the shelf. I also bought some Yellow Indacators, Orange Indacators, Big beadhead leeches, some streamers, and some minnow patterns. I have some Icecream cones, san Jaun worms, PMD, Mosquitos, and some small fish (bigger than minnow) patterns. Anything else I should try?

I equipted my rod with some 12 lb sinking leader and some 7 lb tippet. Anything else I should be looking at?

Evil Weivels, Bow River Buggers, Comparadun , PMD Thorax , Light Cahill just to name a few more to try.

there should be a hatch of Pale Morning Duns, Golden Stoneflys, and Western Green Drakes soon to follow around this time of year on the bow.

going pretty heavy on the tippet eh? what is that 2x or 1x? not bad for the big stuff, but not for small size #16-18 dries

ElDiablo
07-12-2007, 10:42 AM
The Caddis fishin is great right now, but it happens late, like 10:30 and after. We've found the odd fish between 9 and 10, but the real numbers show up late. Nymphing in the heat of the day works, but its tough as those fish are pretty lathergic.

Versatile
07-12-2007, 01:02 PM
NDN I have lighter stuff here as well I believe its 3x but I cant remeber. I have some 5lb tippet in my vest as well if Im not getting anything.

ElDiablo you say that at 9-10PM the caddis patterns get hot? I have alot of nymphs and I bought some leech patterns as well.

ElDiablo
07-12-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't bother fishin before about 9 pm, too hot and too many idiots in rafts floating right over top of me. Find a nice flat slick real close to the bank with a min. 2' of water , and watch. Its more like hunting than fishing. Sometimes you have to watch for an hour before you find a fish. Eventually you will find a fish that is sitting in one place sipping caddis off the surface. Throw an Elk hair over him and the rest id history.