PDA

View Full Version : What's in your....................?

Dick284
11-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Fanny pack, belt kit, day pack or pockets?

Here is my everyday fanny pack.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/Dick284/Picture.jpg

L-R, top to bottom
Fanny pack,W/ suspenders
Wyoming Saw
Extra Ammo
EZlap sharpener
Knife
Lip balm
Wind indicator
Breath strips
Spare batteries(flashlight, GPS, and LRF)
Snacks
Spare gloves
Calume stick (intense white)
150lb string
Butcher twine
Flashlight
Promo LED flashlights
Strike anywhere mathces, and cotton batten
Binoculars
GPS
LRF
Nitrile gloves
Survival paper
Tape
Pocket knife
Various matches
Survival blanket
Compass
Personal first aid kit

It's not definative, by anymeans, but for the style of hunting I do, (mostly private land, or light morning or evening sits) I think it satisfies my concerns and possible needs.

Lets see what you take.

It just might help some poor soul some day.

Forest Techer
11-12-2009, 10:41 AM
nice kit! I'm Jealous!

why do you favour matches over a lighter? I've done a few survival courses over the years (they always recommend matches) and built some kits. I have the waterproof stainless steel match holder with the strike anywheres and a tiny lighter. I never use the matches first. Oh I carry a whistle too and recommend it. In safety drills I was able to hone in on a whistle super fast and it doesn't take much effort from the victim.

oh I think your missing a tiny shot of whysky, :D

Thanks again for taking the time to post up a pic

Dick284
11-12-2009, 10:46 AM
nice kit! I'm Jealous!

why do you favour matches over a lighter? I've done a few survival courses over the years (they always recommend matches) and built some kits. I have the waterproof stainless steel match holder with the strike anywheres and a tiny lighter. I never use the matches first. Oh I carry a whistle too and recommend it. In safety drills I was able to hone in on a whistle super fast and it doesn't take much effort from the victim.

oh I think your missing a tiny shot of whysky, :D

Thanks again for taking the time to post up a pic

I've had Bic style lighters in the past, I've had flints pop out, and had my kit shift and depress the button thus draining the lighter.

Good question though.

FishBrain
11-12-2009, 11:00 AM
In my pack I carry:
Extra Knife
TP ( very important)
Bearspray
ninja gloves (cut resistant)
full medi-kit (everything from bandaids, wraps, hand towels, headache pills, tweezers, etc.)
cover scent
head lamp
touque/hat
2 energy bars
Binos
Compass
Whistle
extra ammo
matches and lighter
small handsaw (wood/bone blades)
range finder
Camera (if I can remember)

I think that covers it.
Forest Techer: they say to use matches because a lighter can freeze up on you, OR if it gets pushed the wrong way it can let out all the butane, then your hooped without the matches.

sco22
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
That is a beauty of pack. The only thing different in mine is i have a small metal pot with removable handle and lid that I put about half my stuff into and then inside the pack. I carry some chicken bouillion and tea. Got turned around on the cut lines one night many years ago and spent a night against the tree with my buddy. It sure was nice to have a hot cup of soup.

I also have a cylinder type cigar torch that is about the size of a shotgun shell. It has a lock over lid so it can't accidentally leak in the pack and it really packs a punch for lighting a fire. Wind resistant too. But I still have matches.

Cheers.

Okotokian
11-12-2009, 11:27 AM
My kit? ummmmmm almost nothing. :o Binos, whistle, some extra ammo, toilet paper, a cell phone.

To be fair, what I carry is a reflection of where I hunt. Where I waterfowl or upland hunt I can usually see my vehicle at all times. I usually big-game hunt on private land that is bordered on three sides by a river and a road on the other. I can't imagine how I would ever get lost. Walk for ten minutes in any direction and you run into the river or road. I'm not going to get lost. I might get injured but the cell phone coverage is good and I leave a county map at home showing the exact section or two I'll be in. and time I'll be home. If I go out in the morning and am not home by supper my wife is calling for help. Land has great vehicle access so I leave all my game cleaning gear in my vehicle. If I get something I can go get my SUV and likely drive to it.

Now when I went deep into unfamiliar OH ranch land last year I carried a kit more like what you have there... firestarter, blanket, small saw, knife, flashlight, cordage, the whole nine yards.

Walleyes
11-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Looks like a load duffy..

For myself I run a little old camo back pack (seen in a lot of my photo's). Been packing the same one for 15 years now. I like to keep it simple and most important light !!!

1 - Bic lighter
1- compass
1 - bottle water
1 - Set of hunting Licenses
1 - extra set of gloves
1- Camera
Maybe,, and I mean maybe an extra sweater
1 - reload of shells ( 4 )
And more memories than a truck can carry..

P.S. I noticed you don't have any tags with you,,, someting you would like to share ???

Aim Low
11-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Fanny pack, belt kit, day pack or pockets?

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 799x484 and weights 168KB.

L-R, top to bottom
Fanny pack,W/ suspenders
Wyoming Saw
Extra Ammo
EZlap sharpener
Knife
Lip balm
Wind indicator
Breath strips
Snacks
Spare gloves
150lb string
Butcher twine
Flashlight
Promo LED flashlights
Binoculars
GPS
LRF
Nitrile gloves
Survival paper
Tape
Pocket knife
Various matches
Survival blanket
Compass
Personal first aid kit

It's not definative, by anymeans, but for the style of hunting I do, (mostly private land, or light morning or evening sits) I think it satisfies my concerns and possible needs.

Lets see what you take.

Are you.......................Batman?!?!

Walleyes
11-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Are you.......................Batman?!?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

marlin1
11-12-2009, 05:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

that was funny, all I carry is ammo, binocs, maybe some jerky,knife,tag, maybe some antlers to rattle, and maybe a cell phone depends where a guy's hunting I guess and how far back.

Dick284
11-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Looks like a load duffy..

P.S. I noticed you don't have any tags with you,,, someting you would like to share ???

Duffy, wow your losing Pickerel Pete.;):lol:

My licences dont go in the fanny pack, they go in a nylon and velcro wallet, they travel in my pants pocket.

Vindalbakken
11-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Ya, I take my licence, some ammo and a knife.

Elkaholic6
11-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Tags, all my calls (grunt, bleat, rattling sack, bugle, mouth reed) scents, binos, rangefinder, and extra shells of course.

Walleyes
11-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Duffy, wow your losing Pickerel Pete.;):lol:

My licences dont go in the fanny pack, they go in a nylon and velcro wallet, they travel in my pants pocket.

:o :o oops sorry dick,, don't know where that came from,,, too many topics going on at the same time I geuss..

And no sweat on the tags,, I am quite aware you would never go hunting without tags just being a pest....

Pathfinder76
11-12-2009, 07:45 PM
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l433/chuck_nelson/IMG_0835.jpg

pack
hard shell/rain pants
fleece vest
gloves
pack cover
tripod
spotting scope
rangefinder
binos
camera
first aid kit
survival kit
matches
headlamp
extra ammo
folding knife
folding boning knife
Smith's sharpener
elastic band
heavy duty space blanket (I will never use a cheap one again)
TP
baby wipes
blister care
game bags
40L silnylon dry bag
touque
flint and steel
optics wipe
nylon cord
1L Nalgene water bottle
tape
food
extra camera and headlamp batteries

deanmc
11-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Spot
Phone
Water bottle
Skinning Knife
Leatherman
Mini saw
Map
Garmin
Spare socks
Spare gloves
Pressure bandage and medical tape
Advil (bad back)
Leatherman
Speed sharp
Lighter
Rope
Chapstick
TP
Regulations
Spare ammo
Butt out
Zip ties

Orion
11-13-2009, 08:07 AM
I carry way too much stuff which is why I need a butt pack with a harness. :lol:

I've had to spend the night out on occasion so I tend to carry enough stuff in case I need to do it again.
Anyhow, I get lots of exercise packing it around.

http://www.orionn49.com/pack017.jpg

Off the top of my head -

Folding stool
Self inflating seat cushion
Titanium cup & spoon
2 knives
Gerber folding saw
EZ Lap diamond hone
LED Flashlight
LED Cap light
10 X 25 Binoculars
GPS
Compass
Waterproof match case with strike anywhere matches
Firesteel
Tinder
Spare socks
Spare gloves
Wool watch cap
Water bottle
Clif Bar
Handful of Halloween chocolate bars
Cup-a-soup
Tea bags
Beef jerky
Extra ammo
Hand sanitizer
Some of those little compressed paper towel thingies
Space blanket
TP
Hand/body/foot warmers
First-aid kit
Fox-40 whistle
Tylenol
Camera

Okotokian
11-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Off the top of my head -

Folding stool
Self inflating seat cushion
Titanium cup & spoon
2 knives
Gerber folding saw
EZ Lap diamond hone
LED Flashlight
LED Cap light
10 X 25 Binoculars
GPS
Compass
Waterproof match case with strike anywhere matches
Firesteel
Tinder
Spare socks
Spare gloves
Wool watch cap
Water bottle
Clif Bar
Handful of Halloween chocolate bars
Cup-a-soup
Tea bags
Beef jerky
Extra ammo
Hand sanitizer
Some of those little compressed paper towel thingies
Space blanket
TP
Hand/body/foot warmers
First-aid kit
Fox-40 whistle
Tylenol
Camera

OK, I HAVE to call "Going way too far" here. :lol: For everyday hiking or hunting for the day you carry a folding stool AND a self-inflating seat cushion? What, no folding picnic table or air mattress? Spare socks and gloves on top of the ones you already have on? What about shirt, pants, and underwear? :D And TWO knives? For fighting Ninjas you might run into? I personally find it difficult to use more than one knife at once. ;)

BeerSlayer1
11-13-2009, 09:59 AM
Looks good!

I like to stick a pair of sunglasses in my pack, you never think you'll need them when you leave your vehicle in the dark. I hunt open areas and wear them as much for wind protection as for sun protection.

Whistle is a good idea as well.

Mike_W
11-13-2009, 10:14 AM
My Pack includes a
Flash light
Extra batteries
TP
Spare clip with ammo
Knife
Folding Saw
Bottle of water
Matches and a lighter
Fire starter
Leather man
Zip ties
Any calls and scent for th species I am hunting
Knife sharpener
Wet wipes
Flagging tape
Extra TP
Tags

Thats about it I suppose this is a great exercise Dick because indirectly I searched throught my pack and noticed some missing items that I have not restocked.

Orion
11-13-2009, 10:25 AM
OK, I HAVE to call "Going way too far" here. :lol: For everyday hiking or hunting for the day you carry a folding stool AND a self-inflating seat cushion? What, no folding picnic table or air mattress? Spare socks and gloves on top of the ones you already have on? What about shirt, pants, and underwear? :D And TWO knives? For fighting Ninjas you might run into? I personally find it difficult to use more than one knife at once. ;)

Some of us aren't perfect and occasionally get our feet and hands wet and just plain like to sit down once in a while.:tongue2:

BrownBear416
11-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Crooked Horn Guide backpack...

Shooting sticks on waist belt.
2 water bottles.

Top Pocket...
2 Cameras.
Leatherman.
Buck titanium skinning Knife.
Buck Caping knife.
Petzle Head Lamp.
Surefire Flashlight.
Garmin gps.
Knife Sharpener.
shells.

Main Pocket...
Sat Phone.
Wyoming Saw.
Long Johns.
Spare pair of socks.
First aid kit.
Space Blanket.
Touque,mitts and neckband.
Timberline Hatchet.
Small Tripod.
Game Bags.
Package of rope.
Small Survival kit with Candles,flare kit,snacks,tea,honey,etc etc
Flagging tape.
Small gun cleaning kit.

Front Pocket..
Matches and Windmill lighter.
Spare batteries for both FL's and Gps.
Snare wire.
Chapstick.
Ziplock bag with TP,garbage bags.
Tags.
4 Smoke in a Bottle.
Small Mirror and Magnifying Glass.
Cleaning cloths for Optics.

goober
11-13-2009, 11:07 PM
OK, I HAVE to call "Going way too far" here. TWO knives? For fighting Ninjas you might run into? I personally find it difficult to use more than one knife at once. ;)

Maybe you have not come across enough ninja's yet to have practiced with 2!!:lol::lol:

froggy
11-13-2009, 11:22 PM
ok for all you calgary guys and gals just to let you know the stamps horse is dead and and the flamers flame is out if you want a real pro hockey or football team you better move to edmonton lol..... as for what i cary in the bush

rifle
bullets
1 knife
1 small folding saw
flash light head lamp
calls
gps
binocs
leatherman
small chunk of rope
a snack like jerky and some water
small first aid kit
my rattling horns
lighter/matches

froggy
11-13-2009, 11:25 PM
i forgot a few things lol

tags
tp
knife sharpener

thats pretty well it lol

sourdough doug
11-14-2009, 12:02 AM
C'mon guys, where the h--- are you stashing the laptop..

rugatika
11-14-2009, 12:27 AM
extra pair of socks (I hate wet feet)
snowpeak stove and small pot and small fuel canister and tea
matches and bic lighter and firesteel thingy and some tinder
space blanket
compass
gps (with truck location programmed in)
tika headlamp and a couple light sticks
fixed blade knife
gerber multi-tool
gerber saw
tp
whistle
extra batteries
cheap pair of glove liners
water and maybe msr water filter mini
wool shirt
binoculars
toque
camera (when I remember it)
bear banger with bangers and flares
boolits if I'm hunting (hooks and a stick of butter if I'm fishing)

Probably overkill, but it's comforting to know I should be able to spend a night or two out without too much trauma. It`s funny how easy it is to jump out of the truck intending to go for a quick walk in the bush and then get focussed on something and get turned around. AND I usually carry a pocket knife and a lighter in a pocket in case I get separated from my pack for whatever reason.

If I'm just out walking backroads for grouse I just wear my pella vest with a pin on compass, bird knife, shells, lighter, matches and maybe some water.

Good idea with the HD string. I've never really carried a first aid kit with me which is kinda silly I suppose. Should really have something in there.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Hmmm what's in my pack .

Ammo
Water bottle
Bear spray
compass
flint & steel
Binoculars
Calls
rattling antlers
More ammo
Tinks 69 and cotton balls
First aid kit
gloves
toque
some rope
Scent sticks
multi tool
knifes
maps
couple chocolate bars
crapper paper
ashtray ( tinfoil and plastic container )
wrench
electric tape
Camera
Whistle
flash light
Extra batteries
4 big game bags because our deer dont fit in the deer bags .
mono pod
surveyors tape
Water proof matches
butane torch
small mirror
and some other stuff .

Walleyes
11-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Holy moly,,, I think some people are either very scared of the bush or just suckers for punishment.. I don't pack as much in my quad box as some of you put in a day pack...

Dick284
11-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Holy moly,,, I think some people are either very scared of the bush or just suckers for punishment.. I don't pack as much in my quad box as some of you put in a day pack...

Walleyes
Let me put this into perspective for you.

Last Sunday, Mrs. D shoots a little WT buck he takes off into the swamp (hit a bit far back)

So myself Jenna, Mrs. D and even the PitBoss begin grid searching for him. The PitBoss finds some blood on the grass, we narrow the search, find him between to blow downs(how they die like that I'll never know)

So Mrs. D is the only one with her fanny pack, we perform the deed, start dragging him to a near by lease, Jenna asks if she can move my truck closer, I say go for it, she does a good job moving the truck, we drag the deer out. I want to use the survival paper in the truck, but wait, the doors locked, actually all the doors are locked, with the keys in the truck.
Uh oh.:(:confused::mad3:

There we sit no cell phone service, and pretty much in the dark by now.:scared:

So we break out the gear, make a small fire to keep warm, and I head out with my daughters cell phone(of course mines in the truck) looking for a spot where I can find service.

Find service, call Bushrat, (he has a set of house keys) tell him to bring out my spare set of keys. Now back to the fire, wait about 90 minutes and Bushrat arrives.

Imagine if you will getting stuck in the middle of no where on a Sunday night, no cell service for miles, the gas plant is 20Km or more away, so now what?
I'm glad we had a few items to make a fire, and a flash light to flash Bushrat as he drove past us twice.:confused:

My fanny pack with 10 rounds of 338 ammo and all the gear pictured tips the scale at.4.5lbs. That's nuttin for the peace of mind to know you could tough it out for at least overnight if need be.

Every item in my pack is there because over the years I've had need for it at least once.

And I mean need, like getting the truck straddled over a log on a cutline, while going to get a downed moose, all would have been easy if I had a saw, well now that Wyoming saw is there for such things, amungst the other obvious game processing funtions it presents. (Mrs. D, Jenna, and the Pitboss too)

It goes where I go (well most of the time):ashamed:, even if you jump in with a buddy for a night hunt at his spot, you've got it, no worrying, does he have this that or the other thing.

In the words of a very wise Sargent I once knew.
"Better to have and not need, then to need and not have."

Grizzly Adams
11-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Had to dump my bag out, to take inventory.:lol: Couple of things missing, like the small tarp I carry, when it gets colder and a canteen of water. The Landjaeger are the no refrigeration variety. Nobody else carries Snakebite Medicine?:lol:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1230/4210318/19766492/377892397.jpg

Grizz

Walleyes
11-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Walleyes

Last Sunday, Mrs. D shoots a little WT buck he takes off into the swamp (hit a bit far back)

So myself Jenna, Mrs. D and even the PitBoss begin grid searching for him. The PitBoss finds some blood on the grass, we narrow the search, find him between to blow downs(how they die like that I'll never know)

So Mrs. D is the only one with her fanny pack, we perform the deed, start dragging him to a near by lease, Jenna asks if she can move my truck closer, I say go for it, she does a good job moving the truck, we drag the deer out. I want to use the survival paper in the truck, but wait, the doors locked, actually all the doors are locked, with the keys in the truck.

So we break out the gear, make a small fire to keep warm, and I head out with my daughters cell phone(of course mines in the truck) looking for a spot where I can find service.

Find service, call Bushrat, (he has a set of house keys) tell him to bring out my spare set of keys. Now back to the fire, wait about 90 minutes and Bushrat arrives.

Imagine if you will getting stuck in the middle of no where on a Sunday night, no cell service for miles, the gas plant is 20Km or more away, so now what?
I'm glad we had a few items to make a fire, and a flash light to flash Bushrat as he drove past us twice.:confused:

My fanny pack with 10 rounds of 338 ammo and all the gear pictured tips the scale at.4.5lbs. That's nuttin for the peace of mind to know you could tough it out for at least overnight if need be.

Every item in my pack is there because over the years I've had need for it at least once.

And I mean need, like getting the truck straddled over a log on a cutline, while going to get a downed moose, all would have been easy if I had a saw, well now that Wyoming saw is there for such things, amungst the other obvious game processing funtions it presents. (Mrs. D, Jenna, and the Pitboss too)

It goes where I go (well most of the time):ashamed:, even if you jump in with a buddy for a night hunt at his spot, you've got it, no worrying, does he have this that or the other thing.

In the words of a very wise Sargent I once knew.
"Better to have and not need, then to need and not have."

Oh for sure dick,, there is nothing like being prepared but man I just hate packing all that extra weight.. Like I said I pack a lighter, knife and compass,, hell I could start a new commune with that,, lololo

ULTRAlite
11-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Walleyes

How much does a side window in a truck cost? Think I probably would have went there a little sooner :innocent:

just being a smart a55, I always over pack and over prepare. Until it's necessary, then who's the popular guy.

Grizzly Adams
11-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Oh for sure dick,, there is nothing like being prepared but man I just hate packing all that extra weight.. Like I said I pack a lighter, knife and compass,, hell I could start a new commune with that,, lololo

Someone once told me, build a big enough fire and sure as Hell, you'll get rescued. :lol:
Grizz

rugatika
11-14-2009, 06:32 PM
My pack might weigh 5 to 10 pounds if that (I hardly notice it anyway). I'll go with the "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" group. And besides, :cool: sometimes it's nice to just stop in the bush and have a spot of tea.

This guy would probably agree with me----->http://www.nationalpost.com/m/story.html?id=1328405

Redfrog
11-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Wow After seeing some of these lists I don't feel so bad carrying the old truck door. I've caught flak over that for years, but I gotta tell you when I get heated up I just roll the window down and sit for a few minutes and I cool right down.:lol:

Nationwide
11-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Wow After seeing some of these lists I don't feel so bad carrying the old truck door. I've caught flak over that for years, but I gotta tell you when I get heated up I just roll the window down and sit for a few minutes and I cool right down.:lol:

TOO FUNNY Redfrog with that said i will have to take a pic of the crap i carry good thread .:D

Stinky Buffalo
11-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Whew, just going through my pack this week, I was thinking, "What do all the other hunters pack? Am I packing too much? Too little?" etc. As it stands, I'm set up pretty much like the majority posts here.

One thing I like to have one or two of in my pack is those glow sticks. That way, if I have to leave a carcass unattended in the dark, I just crack one of those and hang it up nearby. Sure makes it easier to find it in the dark!

I also make different packs for different outings: One's specifically for predator hunting, one's specifically for gopher and grouse hunting, and the other one or two are for big game (and those vary depending on whether it's an all-day, half-day, bush or field hunt). I try to make them grab-and-go as much as possible...

Great thread.

flipper62
11-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Yes that's right Dick, better to have and not need......

I also carry a X large garbagebag, (works great for a ground sheet for the days when you need to have a nap) 1 L of water. camera, cottonballs with vaseline in a baggie thay are a great fire started even when they are wet.
Bic lighters are a waste of money, they are cheap for a reason and I wouldn't trust them, better off to leave them at camp.
Keep an extra truck key clipped to the inside of my pack and on stashed on my truck.

Play safe
Phil

Jerry D
11-15-2009, 07:39 AM
I pack light but I'm normally only out in the field for a few hours at a time

A fixed blade 4" knife
A radio
Bino's that are way to huge...
Some ammo
LED flashlight
Compass

Redfrog
11-15-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't always take the truck door. Only in times of extreme heat or cold. It's just so easy to adjust to my comfort zone. And actually i can get going fast enough downhill with the window down to get a bit of a breeze happening.

"I also make different packs for different outings: One's specifically for predator hunting, one's specifically for gopher and grouse hunting, and the other one or two are for big game (and those vary depending on whether it's an all-day, half-day, bush or field hunt). I try to make them grab-and-go as much as possible...

Great thread. "

I lied about the truck door. This is actually how I approach the situation.

I have a minimum of stuff in my pockets so that even on a short walk if something came up that I had to spend the night out I could. Fire, shelter and light.
I like the led lights, they are versatile. I also have a small metal box from some sort of lozenges. The paint is worn off from the 30 plus years in my hunting pockets. It has snare wire, fire starter, hooks, t bags oxo cubes, mono line, and it is taped shut with several feet of electrical tape. I probably haven't opened it for ten years.

If I think there is a possibility that I may bushwhack it overnight, like when tracking a beastie. I carry my "blue " pack. I've used it for 30+ years. it is a day pack that zips into a moose bag on my packboard.
with the stuff in it I could start a commune. :D Thanks Walleyes.
2 space blankets, rope, firestarter, tbags metal cup, wyoming saw. gps. compass. batteries.

I think it at least as important to let someone know where you are going and when you will be back, as well as instructions on what to do.

We all have a different comfort level in the wilds. I know a lot of people who would not have reacted the way Sheephunter did in his close encounter of the worst kind. Others start to cry when it gets dark and camp has been misplaced.:cry:

I've got a high AQ, that's adventure quotient. I like it on the edge, not stupid, but one more ridge or one more mile or one more is just about right. I've spent quite a few unplanned nights in the bush. I've never had to spend an uncomfortable one because I have my essentials in my "blue Bag".

A few years ago I hunted with a buddy for moose. We had done several day hunts, but no extended hunts, so we were still trying to find the communication level one develops after hunting together over time.
The story is a good one but the part that applies here is this.
I ended up spending the night out,after he took the moose and floated down the river in an old boat.

I walked the bank and as I walked the river bank, I realized I wasn't going to get to camp before dark. I don't travel in the bush at night. I camp. I pick my campspot, I don't allow the "emergency" to choose where I will spend the night. Lots of firewood, water, shelter etc.

I set up camp and made my tea and cooked a spruce grouse I had managed to get off a limb with my snare wire. One space blanket on the ground and the other as a leanto. When it started to rain, I sat snug and smug in my shelter, listening to my buddy burn ammo. He was trying to let me know where camp was.
I knew where camp was, I had decided not to try to get there in the dark.
I had no way to communicate with him other than firing a shot. That would tell him I have one less shell.:huh:

I knew he was worried and he was trying to help, but I couldn't do much.

Next morning I headed for camp. About 300 yds along the river I met a couple people walking the bank and calling. SAR.
A female RCMP and a couple guys. They were looking for me.:huh::huh:

Buddy had called them at midnight. 3.5 hours later they were on site. I missed it all because I was sleeping.

The Gal asked if I had lots of life insurance, because my wife didn't seem to upset that I wasn't back in camp. I said she knows better. The member said yep she said there may be some things that would kill him but the bush ain't one. She said if he had his gun ,his blue bag and his maglite, he's just enjoying himself.
I've told her if she doesn't hear from me after 3 days of when I should be out, send lawyers, guns and money.

So it really comes down to a person's comfort level.

Silverado
11-15-2009, 12:30 PM
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww309/Silverado_bucket/IMG_0894.jpg

This is the survival portion of my pack, and has enough supplies and food to carry me 2-3 days. It weighs about 1.5lb. The little Heineken can penny stove will boil that pot, full of COLD water, in 6-7 minutes, with about 1.5oz of alcohol.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww309/Silverado_bucket/IMG_0893.jpg

There are a few things not seen here:

First Aid Kit (in my truck right now)
30' of nylon cord (used it the other day, need to re-wrap)
Primary knife (on my belt)
Tags
Water bottle(s)
Flashlight (in my pocket right now)
Whistle on lanyard
Compass on lanyard
Map
GPS (lost it!)
Lunch for the day
Sometimes I switch the vest for a lighter sweater, depending on the weather.

The above fanny pack, filled with the pictured and listed contents, weighs 11.5 - 12lb on my bathroom scale. With the suspenders, I don't notice it past the first second I put it on.

That Fieldline pack is quite cheaply made; I'd like to switch it for a Badlands Monster next year.

catnthehat
11-15-2009, 12:34 PM
I see you finally got yourself a decent hatchet!:D
Cat

Silverado
11-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Cat

I paid $50 SHIPPED for that from krasub on CGN. I couldn't pass it up for that price!

catnthehat
11-15-2009, 12:50 PM
I paid $50 SHIPPED for that from krasub on CGN. I couldn't pass it up for that price!

$50??!!:huh:
Crap, at that price I'd buy two if he had them!!:lol:
I may have lost mine, it seems it has made its way onto Zippo45/70's pack belt!
:o
Cat

conan
11-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Great thread! The first motto I ever learned was "Be Prepared".
You should always plan for the worst.
Some of these packs might seem a little overkill if your hunting in farmland but it doesn't take much to be put in a grave situation.
We all have forgotten one thing or another each trip and said I'll never forget that again so the packs can get fairly big.

Actually it sound just like my wifes makeup drawer :o:lol:

Conan

cover
11-16-2009, 10:37 PM
One REALLY important thing I have not seen in any one's kit is SOME sort of water purification...other than boiling that is

rugatika
11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
a few other things:

bar of soap
fluffy towel
rubber ducky
flashlight
umbrella
bowling ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx7UG33SJl4

You just never know

Oh...and I mentioned my msr water filter earlier on...:p

cover
11-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Ooops .. yup there it is ...missed it .. thanx

tikkat69
11-27-2009, 04:48 PM
I got beer,Rum, porn... You got way to much time on your hands... I think i will go spend my time a little better than this...Strippers here i come....Fanny pack, belt kit, day pack or pockets?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/Dick284/Picture.jpg

L-R, top to bottom
Fanny pack,W/ suspenders
Wyoming Saw
Extra Ammo
EZlap sharpener
Knife
Lip balm
Wind indicator
Breath strips
Snacks
Spare gloves
150lb string
Butcher twine
Flashlight
Promo LED flashlights
Binoculars
GPS
LRF
Nitrile gloves
Survival paper
Tape
Pocket knife
Various matches
Survival blanket
Compass
Personal first aid kit

Lets see what you take.

AxeMan
11-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Cat

Being the Axeman, I just had to weigh in on this one. I agree that a little hunters hatchet is handier than a pocket in your underwear. I carry mine in my daypack and use it all the time. Mine is a Wetterlings #104 and only weighs 0.55 kg and has a 25 cm handle. Awesome little hatchet. Timberland carries them in Edmonton. It works wonders on a deer pelvis and brisket when tapped with a rock or buddies hatchet. Wetterlings is top quality and the steel is a hand forged silicon, manganese and vanadium alloy that is tempered to a final hardness of 58-59 Rockwell. There is no better axe IMHO.

http://www.wetterlings.com/

steve
11-28-2009, 01:38 AM
Leatherman Wave, does it all.

Cal
11-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I have all the regular stuff in a backpack that mostly stays in the truck, its contents change depending on the stage of the season and what I am hunting most, more just so I dont forget anything I want to have handy. Since i like to hunt heavy brush I usualy put what I think I'll need in my pockets and leave the extra sweater, multi tool, speedy sharp etc in the truck. What usualy ends up in my pockets are a knife, tags, TP, matches, compass, a plastic garbage bag to sit on, a small flashlight and 3 or 4 rounds in the gun. If its an exploration mission I might bring a GPS to mark anything interesting I might want to come back to.

As well I have a pack frame that I bungee on a folding chair and a quick little blind made up of camo burlap wired onto sticks that I take once in a while. I poke those sticks into the ground, set up my lawn chair and use the pack frame as a rifle rest and I've got a pretty good set up for watching cutlines.