PDA

View Full Version : What do you get him

Dick284
11-12-2009, 01:15 PM
The Pitboss turns 11 on the 18th.
What do you get the kid who has seemingly evertyhing?

S.A.S
11-12-2009, 01:18 PM
A New Rifle? Tickets to a Flames Game, Grey Cup tickets, A Puppy.

monstermulie
11-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Speaking from experience, the best presants were when my dad got just me and him tickets to something and I got to hang out with him and get all his attention for the specified day. The memories were presants that I still have and will have for the rest of my life!!!

lovetheoutdoors
11-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Speaking from experience, the best presants were when my dad got just me and him tickets to something and I got to hang out with him and get all his attention for the specified day. The memories were presants that I still have and will have for the rest of my life!!!

x2, The best gift I received was a night out on Dad. We went out for supper and then to the Flames Game. It was the best Father Daughter day ever

Dick284
11-12-2009, 01:23 PM
A New Rifle? Tickets to a Flames Game, Grey Cup tickets, A Puppy.

Taint gonna be Shame's tickets that's a for sure

BowhuntAB
11-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Flames tickets, and a jersey for the game! My kid LOVED it!

We went for Dinner then drove down to the game. We had a great time and ate everything in site! :)

S.A.S
11-12-2009, 01:25 PM

If you get him oiler tickets hes just gonna wind up getting sad at the end of the night. :lol:

BowhuntAB
11-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Flames tickets, and a jersey for the game! My kid LOVED it!

We went for Dinner then drove down to the game. We had a great time and ate everything in site! :)

Ooops!!! Just read your last post....
Won't be as fun if its to an Oilers game. More fun to watch a team win! :lol:

Dick284
11-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Ooops!!! Just read your last post....
Won't be as fun if its to an Oilers game. More fun to watch a team win! :lol:

Trouble is he's a Hab's Fan:confused:
I dunno where that came from BTW

BowhuntAB
11-12-2009, 01:31 PM

Oh...Hmmm...

The other thing i can think off is a knife. My dad got me a new skinning knife when i was 12. He had " Happy 12th birthday ***** love dad" on the blade. I still carry the same blade 24 years later.

S.A.S
11-12-2009, 01:31 PM

LOL thats one to left field eh!

Dick284
11-12-2009, 01:36 PM
LOL thats one to left field eh!

Must have got that trait from my Mom, she loved her Hab's to the extreme, too bad she passed on when he was a bit over a year old.

The kids got brand new hockey gear, sticks out the wazoo, jersies till hell freezes over, a PSP, PS2, a DS, the kids have a Wii as well.
He's got more shooting irons tha any 11 yr old I've ever known.

Heck I usually get my hunting mags a week after they show up from home, after he's read them at least twice.

So what?

Okotokian
11-12-2009, 01:38 PM
best presants were when my dad got just me and him tickets to something and I got to hang out with him and get all his attention for the specified day.

Yeah, but we are talking about Dick here... :lol:
He got a vidoegame system? Get him a game or two. :D

Bassett
11-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Does he have an xbox 360 with cod mondern warfare 2??? with Xbox live?

S.A.S
11-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Must have got that trait from my Mom, she loved her Hab's to the extreme, too bad she passed on when he was a bit over a year old.

The kids got brand new hockey gear, sticks out the wazoo, jersies till hell freezes over, a PSP, PS2, a DS, the kids have a Wii as well.
He's got more shooting irons tha any 11 yr old I've ever known.

Heck I usually get my hunting mags a week after they show up from home, after he's read them at least twice.

So what?

What about Grey cup tickets, He can live the magic of watching the Stamps become back to back champions

BowhuntAB
11-12-2009, 01:41 PM

OMG! What the heck is that? Sounds technical...:) and scary:scared:

Dick284
11-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah, but we are talking about Dick here... :lol:
He got a vidoegame system? Get him a game or two. :D

I think he spends too much time with me, heck I don't even get to go on a road rage tirade anymore, he see's the bone heads and does it for me instead....I know I'm not the best example WRT to this.:o

The kid goes to every Junior A game here in town.
He gets more friggin video games from aunts and uncles.

Maybe I should just get him a gift certificate to a tatoo parlor....:lol:
2 hockey schools every summer, soccer in the spring, hunting in between hockey in the fall.

I've/we've spoilt the little digger me thinks.

Dick284
11-12-2009, 01:45 PM
What about Grey cup tickets, He can live the magic of watching the Stamps become back to back champions

You know that game is in the middle of hunting season don't you???:confused:

shooter
11-12-2009, 01:46 PM
If he's into sports, a new Baseball Glove or any other sports gear may be good.

If he's into hunting maybe a new knife or backpack.

Even something of yours that you could hand down to him. That stuff has meaning to kids.... Like having dads hunting knife.

Dick284
11-12-2009, 01:46 PM

X2

Tundra Monkey
11-12-2009, 01:50 PM

x2 Dick

A cool man present like a knife or another "huntin" gift is nice but the time spent with him alone is priceless.

tm

Bassett
11-12-2009, 01:52 PM

X2

Well ima kid so i guess i know what it is :lol:
Its very fun. Its a game and you can play with people from all around the world!

S.A.S
11-12-2009, 01:53 PM
You know that game is in the middle of hunting season don't you???:confused:

Theres always time to watch Calgary win another championship. Grey cup in November, Stanley cup in May, Maybe a lacrosse title....Ahhhh what a great year for Calgary.....:innocent:

Okotokian
11-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Well ima kid so i guess i know what it is :lol:
Its very fun. Its a game and you can play with people from all around the world!

He's talking about Modern Warfare, the most recent "Call of Duty" title that just came out, I think. I went up to visit my son at the U of A in Edmonton yesterday and he and his room mate were glued to the couch playing it. Pretty amazing graphics and realism if you like those games. NOT sure if it's appropriate for an 11 year old.

I was hearthened and relieved when the two boys FINALLY put the controllers down becuase they had a couple of women coming over for dinner. They are growing up LOL And I was MIGHTILY impressed when they added "Yeah, they are super hot, AND they come over and clean up our place and fold our laundry!" :lol:

As for you Dick, I'm tapped out. Sounds like your kid has everything. I guess ask him for a list of ten things priced under X, sit down and ask him why he chose those things, what he likes about them (you learning about him) and pick one.

The Fisherman Guy
11-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Whenever I am looking for presents, I almost always look for something that the recipient will use either: Almost everyday, or something that they will have for many years. I think memories are the way to go.

Take him on a hunting trip next year, that will blow his mind. Perhaps look into going somewhere exotic, and taking something that he never imagined he would, all while spending time with his father.

Turkey hunting in the south, Kudu in Africa, Red Stag in New Zealand, Brown bear in Alaska, somewhere he will not likely make it back to go hunting until he is in his later years. That way, when he does return, he has all the memories of when he went with his pops. Who knows! You might be on that return trip!

Good Luck

Tundra Monkey
11-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Turkey hunting in the south, Kudu in Africa, Red Stag in New Zealand, Brown bear in Alaska

Dad.....is that you!!!!!!

My birthdays in Sept....:D

tm

Okotokian
11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Dad.....is that you!!!!!!

My birthdays in Sept....:D

tm

I don't see my actual dad that much anymore, so I'm available for adoption! :lol:

bruceba
11-12-2009, 02:27 PM
An engraved hunting knife, Whitetail tag and a gift certificate to a Taxidermist

Wood1
11-12-2009, 02:45 PM
My son is also 11. Last year I went the knife route, but as a collection. I purchased a glass case with shelves and an assortment of nice high quality pocket knives. He can now add to his collection on his own and search for knives that interest him. It's something that will always have value and gifted knives from relatives and such will also have sentamental value.

This year I bought him a metal detector. Not for everyone, but my guy loves the treasure hunt and the thrill of uncovering neat stuff. We did a bunch of detecting at local beaches and an old home site. Found some neat relics, hundred year old coins and lots of whatsits.

S.A.S
11-12-2009, 03:26 PM
A gift card to Bass pro?

Dick284
11-12-2009, 03:30 PM
A gift card to Bass pro?

Look at where I live!

Calgary is not the center of the universe ya know.

S.A.S
11-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Look at where I live!

Calgary is not the center of the universe ya know.

I thought drayton valley was like an hrs south of here?

Just checked about an 2.5 hrs north sorry hahaha. does he have a dog?

duceman
11-12-2009, 03:35 PM
does he have a dog?[/QUOTE]

ya, tell him about the dog, dick:lol:

S.A.S
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
does he have a dog?

ya, tell him about the dog, dick:lol:[/QUOTE]

I am only to assume he had a dog then something happened? :scared::lol:

Agb Crash
11-12-2009, 04:12 PM
He turns 11, get him a job. Thats what my dad did.

huntinstuff
11-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Dick

Get two tickets to the WISE Foundation Banquet Feb 6, 2009 at the Calgary Exhibition Big 4 Building. $95 each. Supper, lots of hunting prizes and he will have a blast. It runs together with the Calgary Sportsman show

My son and I wil be attending again this year so we might meet up.

It would be something for him to look forward to after the big Christmas rush etc etc....

rugatika
11-12-2009, 05:56 PM
I got my gf's kid a good mechanics tool chest with some wrenches etc in it (good stuff)...(but not snap-on good). He turned 12 and is starting to do his own wrenching on his bikes, skateboards etc. Figured it was time for him to start his tool collection that every man needs. (Plus I was getting tired of looking for my tools all the time too.):lol:

I like the knife idea too.

When I was that age I used to get a pair of work boots for my birthday every year. Times have changed...lol.

catnthehat
11-12-2009, 07:51 PM
I'd get him a lanyard , a Mallard, a Canada, and a Snow goose call:D
methinks he will be smackin' winged things next fall!:D
Cat

MikeSpike
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Buy him a few books. I have lots of toys/gear and still enjoy a well thought out book choice/present. You can write "Hope this book......., happy 11th birthday from..." in it.

I have received in the past books on Elk (pictures and habits), Wolves, Deer habits, How to survive in the woods, etc. Every time I open the book, I see the writing.

DVDs get scratched, video games evolve and there is something better, COD W@W2 is pretty good but stops kids from going outside, but a good book is something that most people keep.

sdeviation
11-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I remember being at the range with the the both of u and we was on the quad subject and the pitboss said" i want a DIRT BIKE" but not that loud.
well u asked !:evilgrin:

Jims71duster
11-13-2009, 08:00 PM
A diana high powered pellot gun,,,,you can use them in places where a .22 is too powerful and they are just plain fun

gitrdun
11-13-2009, 09:15 PM
get him a pony, his sister will love it.

winged1
11-13-2009, 10:18 PM
years ago my father suggested that him and I take a trip to Africa. I was into other things then and wasn't interested. Well dads been gone for 5 years now and I regret that decision back then.

The years slip by real quick, so forget the bullsit xbox and plan some together time, for the both of you.

Jamie
11-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Dick

Get two tickets to the WISE Foundation Banquet Feb 6, 2009 at the Calgary Exhibition Big 4 Building. $95 each. Supper, lots of hunting prizes and he will have a blast. It runs together with the Calgary Sportsman show

My son and I wil be attending again this year so we might meet up.

It would be something for him to look forward to after the big Christmas rush etc etc....

YES!!! Thats it, we can all sit together. good times last year.

Jamie

Jamie
11-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Perhaps a turkey hunt to Wyoming????
You could shoot a antelope???

Jamie

mooseknuckle
11-14-2009, 12:16 PM

HAB's fan?? hmmm tell he's lucky to get another years freen room and board:lol:

shortaction
11-14-2009, 03:22 PM
You won't be able to get it for the 18th but I thought this would interest a young outdoors lad.

http://www.knifezone.ca/grohmannoutdoor/r2kit.htm

It is a knife kit by Grohmann, there are a couple of other styles as well, you could help him put it together.

If he doesn't already have any and nice pair of binoculars should be a hit.

Good luck.

Walleyes
11-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Dick,, with my boys I know that they are always very happy with anything hunting or fishing it really doesn't matter what it is. Over the years they have sort of come to look forward to Dad's gifts because they know it will be something for the outdoors. And it really seems they don't care as long as its fishing or hunting. I am the one to get them their guns, rods, hooks what ever they are just happy to have it. Heck I have gotten them a good sleeping bag for a gift,, they love it. They some how know it is leading up to them going on the big trip with Dad and the boys. For Christmas every year I am the one that fills their stockings,, yes even our older boys still love their stockings,, why because I go to C.T. or Wally world to the bargain bin and load up on hooks and stuff the stocking full of hooks. I beleive they get more enjoyment out of a true gift from the heart from the old man than one that you think they would like.

gitrdun
11-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't know for sure, but you deserve one of those license plates for the front of your truck that says " World's Greatest Dad".

duceman
11-14-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't know for sure, but you deserve one of those license plates for the front of your truck that says " World's Greatest Dad".

taken.:tongue2:

Sandalius
11-14-2009, 08:04 PM
The Pitboss turns 11 on the 18th.
What do you get the kid who has seemingly everything?

Hey Dick, I like to give out gift cards, you get to pick the store ( be it the local sporting goods for hunting/fishing gear or the corner hardware store for tools and such ), the recipient gets to pick out what they would " like " to have and use.
Could be something simple that he's bin thinking about or something more extravagant, but either way it up to him. There doesn't have to be a set amount of money involved either.
I've found that there's nothing worse than giving or receiving a gift that doesn't get used.

For a second choice I would go for the " quality time with dad " present.

I'm sure that no matter what you decide to give him, he will like it as it comes from his dad.

Mad_Mikee
11-15-2009, 09:51 AM
what about a Leatherman. They're pretty cool and handy. Something you can keep and use for a long time.

6tmile
11-15-2009, 10:02 AM
I was in the same quandry as you a few years ago and this is what i did, we went out west set up camp and got ready for the evening hunt, after that hunt i gave him some of my most liked firearms, that my dad and grand dad gave me I also told him that old dad was still gonna use them, but they were his and that he would hand them down to his kids after he spoiled them rotten as all of us have done with our own, he still gets tears in his eyes when we get out in that area

Silverado
11-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Does he have a good compass? I mean a quality, declination adjustable mirror sighting compass? Does he know how to use it to navigate, take a cross bearing to find his location, etc.?

One of the best values in an orienteering/mapping compass today is the Brunton 15TDCL. Still made in Sweden (unlike the late model Silva Rangers), costs under $100. It comes with a good manual that covers basic compass orienteering too.
http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=87

A good compass, a high grade topo map of your region, and time spent practicing and orienteering with those tools would be a gift that lasts a lifetime.

For my 11th birthday, I was given a top quality graphite fly rod blank, and all the guides, seats, thread etc. to turn my own fly rod. The blank was actually a short 6'6" light action spinning rod blank, as I was pretty short, so an 8 or 9' rod was too much for me to handle.

That was a KICK ASS present. I built that rod and fished with it for many years afterward.

Ken07AOVette
11-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I got my gf's kid a good mechanics tool chest with some wrenches etc in it (good stuff)...(but not snap-on good). He turned 12 and is starting to do his own wrenching on his bikes, skateboards etc. Figured it was time for him to start his tool collection that every man needs. (Plus I was getting tired of looking for my tools all the time too.):lol:

I like the knife idea too.

When I was that age I used to get a pair of work boots for my birthday every year. Times have changed...lol.

Same. I was going to suggest a tool box and or first set of sockets and wrenches. Canadian Tire has a new set of black professional series tools out, with gold lettering that look very good.
I remember being 12 or 13, and telling the parents all I wanted was tools, but got a video game instead. Never figured that one out. That was 30 years ago.

Rugersingle
11-15-2009, 11:31 AM
I think Cats on to something...a new duck/goose call with the instruction DVD,,,might want to tell mom about that first....it does mean a bit of noise !! The boy needs a new pair of cold weather boots....his own stool for sitting in the blind...his own SS thermos for that just before dawn hot chocky wake-up in the blind....a pair of camo wind proof growler pants..his own digital camera record the moments he wants to during trips...gotta watch that one :)...his own pac for just his gear...a pair of "cool looking" UV sunglasses...a gift cert to one of the sporting goods stores...let him pick somethin out...
Man, you got two pages of suggestions now...make a decision :)

conan
11-15-2009, 01:19 PM

I'll second that:tongue2:

oldgutpile
11-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Think about starting him his own fanny/back-pack kit like in your other thread. Many of those items are inexpensive things that can all be thrown together and, ultimately could save his life! No better way to say happy birthday than that!
A whole mess of outdoor gear that he can pack around for most of the hunting seasons, and also just a good way to keep all that survival gear together in the same place.

hunter10
11-15-2009, 01:35 PM

That's why you get him some Oil tickets.:wave:

redneck posse
11-15-2009, 02:47 PM
dick the best b-day gifts i got was when me and my dad spent the day fishing or just hanging out at the range or lake. gift last a while then get boreing. memorys last for ever.

LB 270
11-16-2009, 05:23 PM
My Son, who's twelve says Ipod touch. Don't know what it is but if he's cool he has to have one. ??????
LB

Nighthawk 7mm
11-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Sounds like he's got everything so skip a beat and don't get anything he will remember that for sure.:( or Go all out and take him on a Trophy hunt or fly in fishing trip in the spring that.:) :)

Silverado
11-24-2009, 11:06 AM
So Dick, what did you decide on?

Almer Fudd
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Sounds like he has too much already.
Maybe try letting him give something to a good cause.
Samaratin's purse shoeboxes, let him buy some gifts for the less priviledged and donate them....

Sometimes we give our children too much and they loose toch with what's really important

Dick284
11-24-2009, 11:54 AM
So Dick, what did you decide on?

I-Pod

tbosch
11-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Get him cabelas 2010 for the wii dick. Its a good way to blow an hour once the hunting season has passed.

tbosch
11-24-2009, 02:18 PM
whoops should have read to the end of the thread. The Ipod touch is nice too