PDA

View Full Version : Recreational Quadding

3Dshooter
11-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Thinking about buying a "sport" quad. Just wondering how many people on this site off road quad and dirt bike? The do's and don'ts and where your favorite areas are.

live to hunt
11-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Do buy a honda do not buy anything else and burnt timber has a lot of great trails and mud to play in

Rackmastr
11-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Comment from Duffy in 3....2......

All kidding aside, I think Mclean Creek is still your best bet for getitng into an area that is set aside for off-roading and ATV use...

gitrdun
11-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Quadding for recreation?....that's sick :lol:

froggy
11-14-2009, 06:28 AM
i just sold a yamaha raptor 700 awsome quad if u want a sport quad that would be the one i would buy again

HunterDan
11-14-2009, 07:38 AM
I just don't see the point of a 'sport' quad. Unless your doing rallies. My cousins sport quad can't go any faster than I can on my Honda 450, in the bush trails you can only go so fast.
And with a Utility quad you can use it for other stuff too, not so limiting.
But if you get a sport quad, please put a muffler on it.

albertaskier
11-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I have been quading recreationally for the last couple years on a Suzuki king quad. I have a buddy that rides with us on a sport quad, a Polaris 525 outlaw. He is wicked fast. There is no way that a good rider on a utility quad can keep up with a good rider on a sport quad. Last winter in Maclean creak, unless cutting a new trail, he road everything we did. I use my quad for snow removal in the winter but as soon as I can afford to, I am going to buy a sport quad for trail riding. I find the utility quads a little boring. The KTM 450 or 525 sport quads weigh 350 lbs. my king quad weighs 672 lbs. The lighter quads are much easier to steer and control. Body language and throttle control start making a huge difference on a sport quad. When I ride my buddies quad I find it much more challenging, using body language, the clutch, etc. It is also a good workout. I have ridden my quad 150km some days with out feeling fatigued. A couple of hours of hard riding on a sport quad and you can really feel it. The only downfall to sport quads is there is little to no rack space for gear, they don't go as far on a tank of fuel, and it would be really hard to pack out a deer or elk on a sport quad. Just my 2 cents.
Kent

huntinstuff
11-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm too much of a chicken to drive fast.....

My Honda 420 hasn't seen 4th or 5th gear since I have owned it.

But if speed is what you need, have at 'er. Wear your helmet and play safe.

My son used to race at Budweiser Motor Sports park by the Intl. Airport. I think they call it Capital Raceway now...... They have a neat track there for quads and motorbikes.

elkhunter11
11-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I ride a 700 Grizzly,because it is one of the lightest big bore utility quads,and it has plenty of ground clearance with a locking front axle.I may not be as fast as a sport quad on dry trails,but I pass them when we hit mud or muskeg.And it certainly is fun being able to tease the sport quad riders as you tow them out.

duffy4
11-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Why is this thread in the "Hunting" section?

Shouldn't it be in the "Recreational Quadding" section?

Oh right there is no "Recreational Quading" section. or a "ATV Racing" section.

At the very least this should be moved to the "General" section.

Duk Dog
11-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Comment from Duffy in 3....2......

All kidding aside, I think Mclean Creek is still your best bet for getitng into an area that is set aside for off-roading and ATV use...

Well you weren't off by much. And x 2 on Mclean.

buckmaster
11-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Elk river road #1 choice:D:evilgrin:

Waxy
11-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I'd suggest somewhere in or around Rocky, and make sure it has a REALLY loud pipe and you do tons of ripping and shredding...

Waxy

sheephunter
11-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Some good info here 3D

http://www.aohva.com/

AB RANGER 007
11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=3Dshooter;431257]Thinking about buying a "sport" quad. Just wondering how many people on this site off road quad and dirt bike? The do's and don'ts and where your favorite areas are.[/QUOTE

:wave::What area do you live in:huh::confused:

Bruce. The:evilgrin: made me do it.

curteck
11-19-2009, 10:00 AM
more great info at http://www.outlawatvclub.com/forums/ great group of guys on there and very helpful if need be.
PS: dont rip the chit out of every trail you ride on .

flipper62
11-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Clear Water County allows ATV's on county roads as long as they are registered and insured. There is a copy of the bylaw in the local RCMP office.

Wonder if there is any interest in crusin' some back roads south of Highway 12, unbaffled machines might get someones attention. :)

Okotokian
11-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Thinking about buying a "sport" quad. Just wondering how many people on this site off road quad and dirt bike? The do's and don'ts and where your favorite areas are.

"sport quads"... hmmm those are the ones built not so much for hauling or getting around in the back country, but more for tearing around as fast as possible and "ripping it up", right?

I'm totally in favour of them... on your own land, and not near any streams :tongue2::evilgrin::lol::D