PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon

WayneChristie
11-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I read a post in another thread about fluoro not working on a spinning reel, is tis the normal situation? Im thinking of 4 pound test in particular, but Im curious what peoples experience with it in all weights has been like.

The Fisherman Guy
11-12-2009, 03:59 PM
My only experience with it Wayne is that's what I use as leader material, coming off of my braid. I run 20lb power pro braid to a ball bearing swivel, and 15lb Berkely Flourocarbon as the leader material. It is invisible to fish, so they say. Works for me, and if I have to snap off, it usually is at the know on either the swivel or the lure. Very rarely does the braid snap, if it does, it is at the knot to the swivel.

Don't even get me started on the benefits of braid over mono. Especially if you are dealing with light hits. The braid allows you to feel everything. Also enables you to cast 20-40% further.

Hope this helps!

Agb Crash
11-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I have the 6lb on my spinning rig. Challenges; it spins easily on the arbour, tangles easily, not used to tieing knots that don't slip with this. Good points; casts long and smooth, very thin for strength, you really feel the light bite/nibble, low stretch and it just adds to the cool factor. I like it when I trout fish.

Crash

WayneChristie
11-12-2009, 04:28 PM
FG I have 30 pound powerpro on my big uglystick, caught those eyes in the Bow on it a week or so ago, and I was impressed, thought they were big pike the way they felt! I wouldnt mind trying the flouro on my microlight for perch and whatever, just dont want to spend the money if its no good on the reel. I want to pick up some 30 or 40 pound flouro next time Im in a real city that sells it for pike leaders. None whatsoever in the Hat, they really need a real sporting goods store!

The Fisherman Guy
11-12-2009, 04:47 PM
In my experience Wayne, the light mono lines hold a memory, and with very light tackle, it is really tough to get out all of the slack, without putting uneccessary weight on the line. What happens is the tiny jig head has barely enough weight to pull the coils of mono down, and when it does stop, there is still a tonne of slack line in the coils, which remove the feel.

Because braid does not have a memory, it will sink and hold taught. If you ran 4-6lb Powerpro to a 2-4lb flourocarbon leader that is about 20" long, you will get the invisibility, feel, and no line memory. This is a huge asset to me, especially in the cold when mono stiffens up.

If you are still worried about the leader length, remove the swivel and tie your leader to the braid with a nail knot. Then there is no problem reeling in past the swivel.

Still waiting on the invitation to share some of your Bow spots with your favorite Fisherman guy! :evilgrin:

WayneChristie
11-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Any time FG, the wind finally died down, hopefully it will stay down for the weekend. Probably try a few spots in the river this weekend close to home, the weeds seem to be dying off a bit so heres hoping for more eyes, and bigger ones.

honker_clonker
11-12-2009, 05:27 PM
IF your thinking of trying going for a light line with for perch and whatnot i would suggest getting a guide spool of RIO powerflex tippetmaterial. The 5X powerflex has a diameter of 0.006", and its rated for 5 lb test. Berkley vanish in 4 lb test has a diameter of 0.007". A direct comparison of the 2 will show that the powerflex is a superior line. It has hardly any memory to it. I use it for ice fishing perch and I have been out in -30 with no coiling issues or anything like that. If you are using it for icefishing I would highly suggest this option. And if you want you can slap some fluoro on as a leader, but i have not found that the case, its like hair.

WayneChristie
11-12-2009, 05:34 PM
thanks HC. Ive been using the Trilene 4 pound, maybe I will just try some flouro on it for a leader. Ive even managed to pull some pike out with it this year, lots of fun, unless they tangle on your anchor rope and break off.

huntsfurfish
11-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Ive been using fluorocarbon since it first came out(seaguar). Plus later on berkley and a few others both as leaders and on reels. The only issue I have is to make sure you tie your knots carefully. Make sure you wet the the knot before you snug it up. Also, a good knot for joining any lines especially mono to super is the back to back uni knot(very easy to tie too). Havent experienced much difference in line twist versus any other line. I use a variety of lines mono, fluorocarbons, braids, and fused superlines each has there strong points.

The Fisherman Guy
11-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Ive even managed to pull some pike out with it this year, lots of fun, unless they tangle on your anchor rope and break off.

That was a walleye, and it was a roar!!!

seahawkfisher
11-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Flourocarbon leader material is good stuff to use, but don't confuse it with the "flourocarbon" fishing line - they are not really the same thing. true flourocarbon is very stiff and wont spool well on any kind of reel. the "line" is a kind of mono-flouro hybrid and does not share the tensile strength and cut-resistance that the leader material has. the line works well in very light tests for pan fishing, but that's all i'd use it for.

my 0.02cents
cheers

honker_clonker
11-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Some of the hybrids out there seem to be more manageable and have the clearness of fluoro. The one that comes to mind for me is P-Lines Fluoro clear I believe its called. Its a mono line with a Fluorocarbon coating. Alot of people like beccause it more managable than fluorocarbon and less visible than mono. In Edmonotn the only place ive seen it is the fishing center. Thats a option

AlbertaAngler
11-12-2009, 06:58 PM
I want to pick up some 30 or 40 pound flouro next time Im in a real city that sells it for pike leaders. None whatsoever in the Hat, they really need a real sporting goods store!

The Taber Napa has a fair amount of fishing gear including leaders if you happen to be in the area.

Beazer
11-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Try out the new fluoro braid!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geezle
11-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Try out the new fluoro braid!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm quite curious about this stuff...heard about it a couple times, but right now I don't have a reel that needs line to try it out on :o

wildman
11-13-2009, 08:22 AM
soooooo....just a clarification question....
have you guys found problems with the heavy fluorocarbons or just the wee stuff???
i've heard really good things about the heavy stuff so i just spooled up my big ice setups with it for hunting the big dogs this winter....
should i expect problems and woe????:huh:

WayneChristie
11-13-2009, 12:34 PM
That was a walleye, and it was a roar!!!

I almost beat you on that incident, lifted my line into the canoe, and a frikkin pike came right over the side and tried to grab it. I almost went over the other side!!!!! I LOVE PIKE!!!!!!!! Had one in Northern Ontario when I was fishing in a canoe with a friend, he wasnt looking, I hooked a pike and first thing it does is jump right into the canoe beside him. Come to think of it, he made more noise than someone else I know :lol:6 foot 3 weight training macho military dude, squealed like a little girl!!!! Now theres a memory Im glad I got back LMAO

honker_clonker
11-13-2009, 02:30 PM
soooooo....just a clarification question....
have you guys found problems with the heavy fluorocarbons or just the wee stuff???
i've heard really good things about the heavy stuff so i just spooled up my big ice setups with it for hunting the big dogs this winter....
should i expect problems and woe????:huh:

Vanish (I'm assuming this is what you used) in the heavier pound range tends to work better on baitcasters than spinners due to the nature of the baitcaster (heavier lures, more control over line speed and the like). A large arbor spinning reel (one with a wide spool diameter) would also work better than your regular narrow quantum or spinner of that style. The loser/larger the coils you can keep the line the better chance you have of keeping it manageable and avoiding birds nests. Here are a couple suggestions off the top of my head.
1) Use a spinner like the Bass Pro brand spinners with the MAG SPOOL (thats what they call it). It is supposed to be for ultra distance casting. The idea behind it is a super wide spool diameter makes the line come off in wider coils with less line slap on the rod blank for extended distance. This can be useful to you. The wider spool diameter creates less line memory. I would almost say that the diameter of the spools on these reels is similar to that of the pony spools that vanish comes on, (not totally sure it's been a while since I've handled one). A very good option (they are on sale right now) and it would be a multi duty summer reel too (to use for launching spinners for trout into orbit with some 6lb).
2) Something I've heard but haven't tried is soaking your line in a solution of water and fabric softener. Its supposed to soften up the line somewhat while keeping the integrity. This is what I do on my throw minnow net before each season and it works great, just never tried it on my fishing line.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I have one of my jigging rods spooled with Berkley Vanish 14 lb to which is awesome stuff . I understand some people have problems with it slipping on the spool . To which when you tie it on , use a little Mono for backing simply tie a blood knot and connect your flourocarbon line . Problem Resolved .

For more of a read I did some write up about Line .

http://thetacklebox.heavenforum.com/pro-angler-fishing-tips-f7/this-weeks-tip-t45.htm

This Weeks Tip

This week tip is Line

This week im going talk about fishing line. You walk into your local tackle shop there’s 10's of different lines .To begin with there’s monofilament line, braided line, Fluorocarbon line, lead core line, needless to say there’s lots and lots of different lines not to mention, Line company’s, I don’t care if its Berkley, or Stren, Spider wire, Penn, Cajun the most important thing is to have the right line for the job. It doesn’t matter if you fill your spool with 4 lb monofilament line for perch or if you use 30 pound lead core line for trolling pike ,The importance is having the right line every time.To begin I’m going to talk about the differences between a monofilament fishing line and a fluorocarbon fishing line, As well as braided lines .And then there’s always the Lead core line which is mainly used for trolling and downrigger, also fused lines.

Monofilament line
This is the most popular type of fishing line and has been in use for years. It is a great type of fishing line for all sorts of circumstances and conditions for fishing. One disadvantage of monofilament fishing line needs to be taken into consideration when storing your fishing equipment; that is that if it is stored for a long time, it tends to take on memory in which it has been stored. This means it won’t easily straighten out again to allow you to use it easily for fishing if you have not fished with it for a while; therefore, if you use monofilament fishing line and you do not fish often, you would be well advised to replace this type of fishing line when you want to use it again if it has been left in one shape for a long time. Even though this type of line is very popular with most anglers, it has its faults such as the diameter of the line, and the fact it holds its memory meaning it holds its shape after sitting for an amount of time.

Fluorocarbon
Is fluorocarbon really all it’s cracked up to be? I’m a firm believer that in certain situations the material can make a big difference in getting fish to strike, while also offering impressive abrasion-resistance. Tough stuff indeed ,Fluorocarbon fishing lines are invisible to the fish and do not have the problems of retaining their shape which older types of fishing line have; they are therefore the most popular type of fishing line in the modern world of fishing today. They are also very abrasion resistant. I personally like the Fluorocarbon a lot; it has a very small diameter compared to the other lines making it very easy to cast your line. For example a 30 pound Fluorocarbon line has the same diameter as a 12 lb monofilament line. Compared to most monofilament lines, which are made primarily of extruded nylon, fluorocarbon is manufactured from extruded polyvinylidene fluoride. Although the extrusion process whereby the respective line material is pushed through a die to create different diameters and strengths is basically the same for both monofilament and fluorocarbon, that's where the similarities end. Fluorocarbon’s biggest selling point is its low visibility. This is due to its refractive index -- the degree to which light bends or refracts as it passes through a substance - which can be as low as 1.42. That's nearly identical to the refractive index of water (1.3). The refractive index of nylon monofilament is higher than that of fluorocarbon, coming in at about 1.52.

Braided
As you might expect, braided fishing lines are the strongest of all the types of fishing line available. They don’t stretch and they float in the water. The strength of braided fishing lines can also be a disadvantage as although they are strong, the braided nature of the fishing line can make it quite abrasive on your hands and also your rod and the guides on your rod. This means you have to have a durable fishing road and reel to cope with braided fishing line.

Fused or Trolling line
It probably won‘t be a surprise to you that fused fishing lines are similar to braided fishing lines. They are very strong too and basically the difference between the two is that fused fishing lines have their threads glued together in their manufacturing and they then are surrounded by another coating to strengthen it further, rather than simply being woven together as is the case in braided fishing lines. This means that fused fishing lines have some disadvantages in common with braided fishing line: they are difficult to cut except with scissors or a sharp knife so that you would need to ensure that your fishing kit includes something with which to cut the fishing line. It also slides around a little on the reel spool. You should also be aware that both braided and fused fishing lines are thicker and therefore more easily visible to the fish – so they get advanced warning of your intentions!

These are just a few things to remember when you’re at your tackle shop next time. Also don’t be afraid to ask the folks in that tackle shop about any questions you may have. You can also search on the internet information upon this line for more in-depth information.

THIS WEEKS PRODUCT REVIEW.
As the same as last week there are far too many lines to just pick one for my weekly review. So I’m going to list a few of my favourite lines that I use the most often.

MONOFILAMENT LINE********************************************** ******

STREN ORIGINAL FISHING LINE
by: BERKLEY (PURE FISHING)

TRILENE XL MONO LINE

COLD WEATHER MONO LINE

FLUOROCARBON LINE********************************************** *******

VANISH LINE

100% FLUOROCARBON LINE
by: BERKLEY (PURE FISHING

BIG GAME FLUOROCARBON LEADER MATERIAL

VANISH TRANSITION FLUROCARBON LINE

BRAIDED LINE ************************************************** *******

FIRELINE MICRO ICE

TITANIUM ICE BRAID LINE
by: RAPALA

FIRELINE

SPIDERWIRE STEALTH
by: PURE FISHING CANADA

ULTRA CAST INVISI-BRAID

FUSED OR TROLLING LINE *************************************************

MASON DOWN-UNDER TROLLING WIRE
by: MASON TACKLE COMPANY
BIG BAD JOHN
Admin

WayneChristie
11-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Great replies everyone, thank you for all the info. Im sure it will be of help to more than just myself also!

Drano
11-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I have one of my jigging rods spooled with Berkley Vanish 14 lb to which is awesome stuff . I understand some people have problems with it slipping on the spool . To which when you tie it on , use a little Mono for backing simply tie a blood knot and connect your flourocarbon line . Problem Resolved .

For more of a read I did some write up about Line .

http://thetacklebox.heavenforum.com/pro-angler-fishing-tips-f7/this-weeks-tip-t45.htm

This Weeks Tip

This week tip is Line

This week im going talk about fishing line. You walk into your local tackle shop there’s 10's of different lines .To begin with there’s monofilament line, braided line, Fluorocarbon line, lead core line, needless to say there’s lots and lots of different lines not to mention, Line company’s, I don’t care if its Berkley, or Stren, Spider wire, Penn, Cajun the most important thing is to have the right line for the job. It doesn’t matter if you fill your spool with 4 lb monofilament line for perch or if you use 30 pound lead core line for trolling pike ,The importance is having the right line every time.To begin I’m going to talk about the differences between a monofilament fishing line and a fluorocarbon fishing line, As well as braided lines .And then there’s always the Lead core line which is mainly used for trolling and downrigger, also fused lines.

Monofilament line
This is the most popular type of fishing line and has been in use for years. It is a great type of fishing line for all sorts of circumstances and conditions for fishing. One disadvantage of monofilament fishing line needs to be taken into consideration when storing your fishing equipment; that is that if it is stored for a long time, it tends to take on memory in which it has been stored. This means it won’t easily straighten out again to allow you to use it easily for fishing if you have not fished with it for a while; therefore, if you use monofilament fishing line and you do not fish often, you would be well advised to replace this type of fishing line when you want to use it again if it has been left in one shape for a long time. Even though this type of line is very popular with most anglers, it has its faults such as the diameter of the line, and the fact it holds its memory meaning it holds its shape after sitting for an amount of time.

Fluorocarbon
Is fluorocarbon really all it’s cracked up to be? I’m a firm believer that in certain situations the material can make a big difference in getting fish to strike, while also offering impressive abrasion-resistance. Tough stuff indeed ,Fluorocarbon fishing lines are invisible to the fish and do not have the problems of retaining their shape which older types of fishing line have; they are therefore the most popular type of fishing line in the modern world of fishing today. They are also very abrasion resistant. I personally like the Fluorocarbon a lot; it has a very small diameter compared to the other lines making it very easy to cast your line. For example a 30 pound Fluorocarbon line has the same diameter as a 12 lb monofilament line. Compared to most monofilament lines, which are made primarily of extruded nylon, fluorocarbon is manufactured from extruded polyvinylidene fluoride. Although the extrusion process whereby the respective line material is pushed through a die to create different diameters and strengths is basically the same for both monofilament and fluorocarbon, that's where the similarities end. Fluorocarbon’s biggest selling point is its low visibility. This is due to its refractive index -- the degree to which light bends or refracts as it passes through a substance - which can be as low as 1.42. That's nearly identical to the refractive index of water (1.3). The refractive index of nylon monofilament is higher than that of fluorocarbon, coming in at about 1.52.

Braided
As you might expect, braided fishing lines are the strongest of all the types of fishing line available. They don’t stretch and they float in the water. The strength of braided fishing lines can also be a disadvantage as although they are strong, the braided nature of the fishing line can make it quite abrasive on your hands and also your rod and the guides on your rod. This means you have to have a durable fishing road and reel to cope with braided fishing line.

Fused or Trolling line
It probably won‘t be a surprise to you that fused fishing lines are similar to braided fishing lines. They are very strong too and basically the difference between the two is that fused fishing lines have their threads glued together in their manufacturing and they then are surrounded by another coating to strengthen it further, rather than simply being woven together as is the case in braided fishing lines. This means that fused fishing lines have some disadvantages in common with braided fishing line: they are difficult to cut except with scissors or a sharp knife so that you would need to ensure that your fishing kit includes something with which to cut the fishing line. It also slides around a little on the reel spool. You should also be aware that both braided and fused fishing lines are thicker and therefore more easily visible to the fish – so they get advanced warning of your intentions!

These are just a few things to remember when you’re at your tackle shop next time. Also don’t be afraid to ask the folks in that tackle shop about any questions you may have. You can also search on the internet information upon this line for more in-depth information.

THIS WEEKS PRODUCT REVIEW.
As the same as last week there are far too many lines to just pick one for my weekly review. So I’m going to list a few of my favourite lines that I use the most often.

MONOFILAMENT LINE********************************************** ******

STREN ORIGINAL FISHING LINE

TRILENE XL MONO LINE

COLD WEATHER MONO LINE

FLUOROCARBON LINE********************************************** *******

VANISH LINE

100% FLUOROCARBON LINE

BIG GAME FLUOROCARBON LEADER MATERIAL

VANISH TRANSITION FLUROCARBON LINE

BRAIDED LINE ************************************************** *******

FIRELINE MICRO ICE

TITANIUM ICE BRAID LINE
by: RAPALA

FIRELINE

SPIDERWIRE STEALTH

ULTRA CAST INVISI-BRAID

FUSED OR TROLLING LINE *************************************************

MASON DOWN-UNDER TROLLING WIRE
by: MASON TACKLE COMPANY
BIG BAD JOHN
Admin

:wave::wave:Great info BBJ thanks

Paul C
11-13-2009, 04:34 PM
The tackle forum does not talk about structure of line. A few years ago I took a peice of line to a lab with high power magnefication. I was very surprised to see the line is hollow and large pores in the outside of the line.
It made me wonder how they make it. To my understanding that the process uses plastic extrusion. That explains why the line is so expensive.
There is three draw backs to this line.
1. During cold weather the line will freeze causing it to break easily.
2. Extra loops are required to attach lures.
3. When catching large fish the line will stretch causing a failure of effect of vanishing in the water.
This line does make the difference when fishing for trout and pan fish.
:DCheers:D