PDA

View Full Version : crappy headlights

The Rog Man
11-12-2009, 08:00 PM
So I have tried too align and realign the headlights on my 06 GMC 2500HD.
I've come too the conclusion that the factory headlights just plain sukk!!!!
Is there such a thing as aftermarket headlights for the newer vehicles like there was in the old days ??
You know take out the sealed beam and replace with Bosch headlights? those were awesome?
I absolutley DON'T want those stupid HID bulbs going into my halogen headlamp assemblies.
Is there such a thing as a quality Halogen bulb that IS LEGAL too use in a factory headlamp assembly?
I don't have much good too say about those bulbs that are just coated in blue as I know the blue crap just flakes off over time.
I bought a set of bulbs from England that are supposedly legal too use here, and put them in my car, the biggest difference i see with them is that the halogen bulbs you buy here have a Black almost light absorbing coating at the front of the actual bulb where as the bulbs I got from England the tips were actually chromed and they were the same wattage but very noticeably brighter but of coarse they don't make that bulb for my truck's headlights.
Does anyone have any positive suggestions?
Thanx.

woods_walker
11-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Check out www.dieselplace.com for some ideas/hints. They have a lot of info that could be of use.

Rockymtnx
11-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Well Rog
I have tried numerous sets of aftermarket bulbs on my Chevy. I even tried 100 watt bulbs & 8500k bulbs. The best one so far I found even better than the Euro lights is GE Nighthawk bulbs. They give you the best brightest and widest beam.
Next on my list to try is changing the lights to HID lights. I had a friend do it and I was quiet impressed.

theduke
11-12-2009, 09:35 PM
i use the nighthawks very bright, they are bright that i tend to get flashed becuase ppl think i got my brights on

The Rog Man
11-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Well Rog
I have tried numerous sets of aftermarket bulbs on my Chevy. I even tried 100 watt bulbs & 8500k bulbs. The best one so far I found even better than the Euro lights is GE Nighthawk bulbs. They give you the best brightest and widest beam.
Next on my list to try is changing the lights to HID lights. I had a friend do it and I was quiet impressed.

I have nothing against HID headlights as long as they are put into HID headlamp assemblies. The problem is too do that is VERY EXPENSIVE.
I looked into it and those HID KITS are actually illegal when installed into halogen headlamp assemblies.I know EPS could give a rats azz about traffic equipment violations but i travel the highway and the RC's are much less forgiving and I don't need the grief.
And besides putting a HID bulb into a halogen headlamp just produces a splatter of light with no control but too each their own I don't want a pizzing match over light bulbs.
I really miss glass headlamps and the days when you could pull out the sealed beam and replace it with a flatfaced Bosch headlamp, the light was exceptional.

The Rog Man
11-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Check out www.dieselplace.com for some ideas/hints. They have a lot of info that could be of use.

Thanx man , i'll check it out.

Tabers Best
11-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Piaa Bulbs end of coversation!!

mtylerb
11-13-2009, 03:42 AM
So I have tried too align and realign the headlights on my 06 GMC 2500HD.
I've come too the conclusion that the factory headlights just plain sukk!!!!
Is there such a thing as aftermarket headlights for the newer vehicles like there was in the old days ??
You know take out the sealed beam and replace with Bosch headlights? those were awesome?
I absolutley DON'T want those stupid HID bulbs going into my halogen headlamp assemblies.
Is there such a thing as a quality Halogen bulb that IS LEGAL too use in a factory headlamp assembly?
I don't have much good too say about those bulbs that are just coated in blue as I know the blue crap just flakes off over time.
I bought a set of bulbs from England that are supposedly legal too use here, and put them in my car, the biggest difference i see with them is that the halogen bulbs you buy here have a Black almost light absorbing coating at the front of the actual bulb where as the bulbs I got from England the tips were actually chromed and they were the same wattage but very noticeably brighter but of coarse they don't make that bulb for my truck's headlights.
Does anyone have any positive suggestions?
Thanx.

I'm so glad you think that way!

Well Rog

Please, for the sake of everyone's eyes, out there, don't switch to HID's. You'll just tick people off and throw light everywhere <-- Generally implies the oncoming driver's eyes.

Please look for another similar topic, I did quite a detailed write up on why HID's don't perform well in a halogen setup. Actually, I'll save you the search (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=44617&p=422653). Read the whole thread, for progressively better explanations. Then move on to HIDPlanet (http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/index.php) for the whole shebang.

I have nothing against HID headlights as long as they are put into HID headlamp assemblies. The problem is too do that is VERY EXPENSIVE.
I looked into it and those HID KITS are actually illegal when installed into halogen headlamp assemblies.I know EPS could give a rats azz about traffic equipment violations but i travel the highway and the RC's are much less forgiving and I don't need the grief.
And besides putting a HID bulb into a halogen headlamp just produces a splatter of light with no control but too each their own I don't want a pizzing match over light bulbs.
I really miss glass headlamps and the days when you could pull out the sealed beam and replace it with a flatfaced Bosch headlamp, the light was exceptional.

*Sniff* So nice to hear people speak like that. :p You might look into Philips XP (eXtreme Power) bulbs. They're still street legal and they throw up to 80% more light. They're just difficult to find, sometimes. They're the proper (Read: Legal) light colour and they won't glare uncontrolled like the HIG kits.

Reeves1
11-13-2009, 04:53 AM
mtylerb........thank you for more good info on lights ! Been thinking about getting in touch for info, as the lights my F-350 has are not shining far enough on high beam.
In past (older) trucks I went with the Bosch lights. In fact, I changed out the (usless) factory ones for amber Bosch fog lights.

I had been wondering about the NightHawk lights, seen advertised on TV.

My low beams are fine. I don't travel much where there is a lot of traffic anyway. It's the high beam I want more of.
I have a set of Bosch lights (rectangle) sitting in my shop. No good place to mount them though.

Stinky Buffalo
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
I use the NightHawks, and definitely see an improvement. Looks like they have a new version out now too.

Tried the Sylvania SilverStar (http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0203043P/reviews.htm) ones, but ugh, they look really blue to me, and IMO aren't nearly as good as the NightHawks.

Rockymtnx
11-13-2009, 10:15 AM

I tried a set of Piaas this spring and was suprised that the Nighthawks were better than them.

Best part about the Nighthawks too is that they can be purcahsed locally from any Canadian Tire.

chuck0039
11-13-2009, 11:35 AM
I made one night trip 1 week after I got my Titan and I changed the factory headlights to silverstar ultras. Best move I have ever made.

The Rog Man
11-13-2009, 11:46 AM

I looked at their site and all i saw was those painted blue bulbs.
If thats what PIAA has too offer i'll pass.

The Rog Man
11-13-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm so glad you think that way!

*Sniff* So nice to hear people speak like that. :p You might look into Philips XP (eXtreme Power) bulbs. They're still street legal and they throw up to 80% more light. They're just difficult to find, sometimes. They're the proper (Read: Legal) light colour and they won't glare uncontrolled like the HIG kits.

I am pretty sure that what i have in the car is the phillips extreme bulbs but power bulbs don't make them in a 9006 or 9007 configuration or i would certainly went that route.I am lookin into those nighthawk bulbs too see what i can find out.

WCTHEMI
11-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Another vote for PIAA bulbs, I tried nighthawks, silverstars and the like, but none of them are as good as the PIAA's I bought. Downside is they are pricey.

mtylerb
11-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I am pretty sure that what i have in the car is the phillips extreme bulbs but power bulbs don't make them in a 9006 or 9007 configuration or i would certainly went that route.I am lookin into those nighthawk bulbs too see what i can find out.

According to Philips' website (http://www.lighting.philips.com/ca_en/automotive/consumer_products/xtremepower.php?main=ca_en_automotive&parent=79912999330&id=ca_en_automotive&lang=en):

Available in:
9003, 9006, 9007, 9008/H13, H7

I haven't actually gone to find any. I've used Nigthhawks in my previous vehicles. They're definitely better than standard headlights. I'm also looking at a set of Lightforce driving lights to mount behind my grille. Have them only turn on with the high beams, to keep them legal.

turbo mulcher
11-13-2009, 06:06 PM
X2 on the silverstars.

I also wired my lows to come one with my highbeams on my 03 duramax :innocent:

mtylerb
11-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh, I forgot, any bulb with a blue coating will change to a whiter colour, but they'll lose intensity. That blue coating absorbs the other colours to project a whiter light. Problem is any light that is absorbed is not projected, which cuts down on the intensity or brightness.

The Rog Man
11-13-2009, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=mtylerb;432258]According to Philips' website (http://www.lighting.philips.com/ca_en/automotive/consumer_products/xtremepower.php?main=ca_en_automotive&parent=79912999330&id=ca_en_automotive&lang=en):

Those don't look like the same ones i have in my car?

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/philips-xtreme-extreme-power.asp?cat1=37&cat2=73

I will look around for them as I don't like buying something i can't see and touch.

The Rog Man
11-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Oh, I forgot, any bulb with a blue coating will change to a whiter colour, but they'll lose intensity. That blue coating absorbs the other colours to project a whiter light. Problem is any light that is absorbed is not projected, which cuts down on the intensity or brightness.

YUP, thats why I have no interest in bulbs with the blue paint on them.
The bulbs in my car are just clear glass with the tip of the bulb being chromed. They are amazingly bright.
I am certian that chrome tip acts as an amplifier of sorts and deflects the light back into the headlamp just like the old style Bosch aftermarket headlamps did.

FishinFreak
11-13-2009, 08:52 PM
X2 on the silverstars.

I also wired my lows to come one with my highbeams on my 03 duramax :innocent:

X3 for the silverstar ultras; put them in my Excursion and am very pleased PLUS they've been in 3 yrs and absorbed quite a bit of offroad driving AND NOT BURNTOUT :love:

BrownBear416
11-13-2009, 09:37 PM
I tried a set of Piaas this spring and was suprised that the Nighthawks were better than them.

Best part about the Nighthawks too is that they can be purcahsed locally from any Canadian Tire.

x2

Piaas are more money and not near as good as the NightHawks...

Go to Crappytire and pick yourself up 1 box of 9005 and 1 box of 9006 and your problem will be solved...

TM has it made as the lows being on with highs is the cats pajamas...

Rockymtnx
11-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Yes I will have to agree. Running your lows with your highs is great. It fills in the dead spot right infront of the truck and gives you a little more light in the ditch. That was another one of the best $40 I've spent on the Chevy. Easy install too.

tbone616
11-14-2009, 07:54 AM
X3 for the PIAA's, i put them in my 08 Wrangler Rubicon and it's like night and day compared to my old Halogen's. They do have a bit of a bluish tinge though which may bother some but i personally don't care as long as i can see better. They are pricey though it was $107.00 for a set but worth it to me. Haven't tried Nighthawk's though but they don't make em for my Jeep yet so that's why i went with the PIAA's.

Baulde
11-14-2009, 01:43 PM
The best bulbs in the world wont mean diddle unless you are getting proper voltage to them.
I have found that many factory wiring harness do not have sufficient gauge wire to put the full 14v to the lamp.

I measured a car with 10v at the bulb.... that is a HUGE decrease in light about 50% of its output

http://www.4crawler.com/Images/LightOutput.gif

First step is to measure the actual bulb voltage under LOAD. Compare the at bulb voltage to your voltage at battery with engine running. If the voltage drop is around 0.5v you don't have anything to worry about if more than 1v I would build a relay harness with 10AWG to power the headlights using the existing headlight harness to switch the relays. And I would expect to see about 14v at the battery with the engine running.

Many will say 10awg is too large for this, but AWG ratings are for wires in open air cooling, not counting a warm engine bay bundled with many other wires. And the larger the wire the less the voltage drop under load.

THEN once you know the voltage you are getting at the bulb. THEN install somethine like the GE nighthawk. Which are pretty good bulbs when powered properly

The Rog Man
11-14-2009, 04:35 PM
YUP, thats why i have relay controlled bulbs. I use the factory wiring to trigger relays thus giving the bulbs full battery voltage. In the case of my truck there was a noticeable difference in light output but the headlights still suck.

6tmile
11-15-2009, 10:10 AM
My truck also had real crappy headlites right from new, after a year of replacing bulbs trying to find the perfect set, I come to the conclusion that it wasnt the bulbs it was my eyes, 600 bucks later and a set of glasses my headlites work great. I hate getting old:mad3::mad3::mad3:

The Rog Man
11-15-2009, 12:38 PM
UGH !!!! Don't say that......I am old and don't have glasses......YET.......
The only saving grace is the headlights in my car are awesome so i am hoping it is not my eyes....grin.

Tabers Best
11-17-2009, 01:27 AM

That's cool my friend has a specialty shop so I actually got the Piaa's for less than what aI could get the Crappy Tire one's. Did they really come out better? I am quite happy with the PIAA's but will have to look at the others. Price is really so much to do with mark up it is terrible. Never pay retail.

sinawalli
11-17-2009, 04:59 AM
According to Philips' website (http://www.lighting.philips.com/ca_en/automotive/consumer_products/xtremepower.php?main=ca_en_automotive&parent=79912999330&id=ca_en_automotive&lang=en):

I haven't actually gone to find any. I've used Nigthhawks in my previous vehicles. They're definitely better than standard headlights. I'm also looking at a set of Lightforce driving lights to mount behind my grille. Have them only turn on with the high beams, to keep them legal.

Try here! http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=100
I've had Philips Vision Plus, and they work better than stock ones!

The Rog Man
11-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Try here! http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=100
I've had Philips Vision Plus, and they work better than stock ones!

Hey sinawalli, have you ordered from these guys before?
They say that they actually have the 9006 bulb in the Xtreme +80.
Just wondering if you used them how did they ship?
They say on their website they like using UPS to Canada.?
For me that would be the reason i didn't order from them.
I won't now or ever use UPS, but thats just me.

mtylerb
11-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey sinawalli, have you ordered from these guys before?
They say that they actually have the 9006 bulb in the Xtreme +80.
Just wondering if you used them how did they ship?
They say on their website they like using UPS to Canada.?
For me that would be the reason i didn't order from them.
I won't now or ever use UPS, but thats just me.

I'd be interested in hearing sinawalli's results, too. I refuse to use UPS anymore. Their rates basically double the cost of the item. Not so bad for a $2, but the $75 item ended up costing just over $200 after shipping, etc. UPS' fees are ridiculous for cross border items. :mad2:

sinawalli
11-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Yes I did order form the, and they did ship via USPS,, not the dreaded UPS:sick:! Had no problems!! Am thinking of a pair myself!!

The Rog Man
11-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Well thanx for the reply sinawalli,
I have discovered one other bulb i need too investigate before i put in an order.
Has anyone ever heard of or tried HIR halogen bulbs?
They seem too be quite impressive and with an ever so slight adjustment too the bulb itself will just plug and play in both the 9005 and 9006 socket.
These bulbs supposedly come stock in the new Dodge Viper.and many other high end cars but they are still DOT approved Halogen bulbs not HID.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Roger.D/Desktop/HIR%20Trimming%20Stock.htm

http://hirheadlights.com/

The Rog Man
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Quote Mtylerb: *Sniff* So nice to hear people speak like that. You might look into Philips XP (eXtreme Power) bulbs. They're still street legal and they throw up to 80% more light. They're just difficult to find, sometimes. They're the proper (Read: Legal) light colour and they won't glare uncontrolled like the HIG kits.

mtylerb
11-19-2009, 04:33 AM
Quote Mtylerb: *Sniff* So nice to hear people speak like that. You might look into Philips XP (eXtreme Power) bulbs. They're still street legal and they throw up to 80% more light. They're just difficult to find, sometimes. They're the proper (Read: Legal) light colour and they won't glare uncontrolled like the HIG kits.

Sorry, I call the plug'n'play HID kit, an HIG kit. Since they are not true High Intensity Discharge, but rather High Intensity Glare. It's just my way of differentiating the two. If you see me refer to HIG, I mean the illegal p'n'p HID kits.

As to HIR, I've heard they are fantastic. I've never personally used them, though. I'd have to go back and read up on them, more.

The Rog Man
11-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I am in the process right now of educating myself on the HIR bulbs.
They do look impressive and the fact they are DOT approved is even better.
I would love too find them locally at a reasonable price, but i think if i choose too go that route i will have to order them sight unseen.
But if i find the philips X-treme bulbs in 9005 and 9006 locally i would buy them regardless as i know they are impressive bulbs providing they are chrome tipped like the H7's in my car.

The Rog Man
11-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Well i've finally made the decision and have ordered 2- 9005 and 2- 9006 versions of these HIR bulbs made by Toshiba.
The fact they are dot approved is excellent and I just hope they live up too all the hype I have read about them.
I'll let you know.

moosemad
11-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Let us know Rog, I'm looking for a better set in my truck also. What is the price on those bulbs and where do you get them?

The Rog Man
11-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I left all that info at work and I'm off till wednesday But i'll let you know.
They are out of the states and they aren't actually 9005 and 9006 they have other numbers but they fit the 9005 and 9006 sockets.
Supposedly these bulbs come stock in the new dodge viper high beams???

they were 23 bucks a bulb for the low and 37 bucks a bulb for the high beam i think.
A guy at work trusts my research and ordered a set also. for 4 of each bulb it was 232 bucks and that included shipping. Alot of guys wouldn't normally order both the low and high beams but i travel highway and backroads so i want them to be as good as they can whilst still being legal.

The Rog Man
11-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Let us know Rog, I'm looking for a better set in my truck also. What is the price on those bulbs and where do you get them?

these bulbs are not available in all configurations, you have too know what bulbs you have/need ?

Iron Brew
11-29-2009, 04:41 PM
My truck also had real crappy headlites right from new, after a year of replacing bulbs trying to find the perfect set, I come to the conclusion that it wasnt the bulbs it was my eyes, 600 bucks later and a set of glasses my headlites work great. I hate getting old:mad3::mad3::mad3:

Beats the alternative....:wave:

The Rog Man
12-03-2009, 09:46 PM
http://www.finemotoring.com/

this is the site i ordered the HIR bulbs from
It has lotts of info about the bulbs there.

The Rog Man
12-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Well my HIR bulbs finally arrived so I went and installed them today.
Now I am only going on what i saw in a well lit shop with the truck NOT running.
As far as I can tell the difference in the stock low beams and the HIR low beams is minimal .
A bit more noticeable with the truck running.
The high beams however are VERY much brighter than stock and even more bright with the truck running.
Of coarse i need to drive at night with them to see how they perform before i decide if i wasted 142 bucks or not.

mooseknuckle
12-12-2009, 05:09 PM
The best bulbs in the world wont mean diddle unless you are getting proper voltage to them.
I have found that many factory wiring harness do not have sufficient gauge wire to put the full 14v to the lamp.

I measured a car with 10v at the bulb.... that is a HUGE decrease in light about 50% of its output

http://www.4crawler.com/Images/LightOutput.gif

First step is to measure the actual bulb voltage under LOAD. Compare the at bulb voltage to your voltage at battery with engine running. If the voltage drop is around 0.5v you don't have anything to worry about if more than 1v I would build a relay harness with 10AWG to power the headlights using the existing headlight harness to switch the relays. And I would expect to see about 14v at the battery with the engine running.

Many will say 10awg is too large for this, but AWG ratings are for wires in open air cooling, not counting a warm engine bay bundled with many other wires. And the larger the wire the less the voltage drop under load.

THEN once you know the voltage you are getting at the bulb. THEN install somethine like the GE nighthawk. Which are pretty good bulbs when powered properly

WOW a cad drawing and spread sheet!! I think this guy has the answer

sinawalli
12-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Just got a set of Philips Extreme Power bulbs from bulbs.com. They shipped Fed Ex to Canada, them via Canada Post to me. Paid around $50-$60 shipped. Yet to install them, but will post findings when I do.

moosemad
12-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Yes I will have to agree. Running your lows with your highs is great. It fills in the dead spot right infront of the truck and gives you a little more light in the ditch. That was another one of the best $40 I've spent on the Chevy. Easy install too.

Is this some kind of kit you bought for $40 or is that just your expenses to wire them together? Would like to set mine up like that also.

mtylerb
12-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Is this some kind of kit you bought for $40 or is that just your expenses to wire them together? Would like to set mine up like that also.

Just keep in mind that the reason they shut off low beams is to provide the ability to see further with your high beams. Having your low beams on with high beams causes the iris in your eye to contract and bring in less light.

It's like standing in a brightly lit room and trying to look into a pitch black one. You'll be able to see a little ways in, but the background will be black. Now if you shut off the foreground light and shine a flashlight into the other room, you won't be able to see as much of the current room, but will be able to see a further distance.

If you turn on the foreground light, and use a flashlight, you'll be able to see into the room, but you won't see as much or with the same clarity because your iris is letting less light in.

It's a balancing act, just something to think about.

moosemad
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Sounds like you know your lighting, thanks for the input.

sinawalli
12-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Just got a set of Philips Extreme Power bulbs from bulbs.com. They shipped Fed Ex to Canada, them via Canada Post to me. Paid around $50-$60 shipped. Yet to install them, but will post findings when I do.

Put them in on Sunday, froze my fingers, but they work great! Good deal!!

Ice Fishing Maniac
12-29-2009, 09:20 AM

x2

Put a set in my 03 GMC and never looked back. I do lots of driving and wanted better lights. Never had to replace a bulb yet on either low beam or high..(knock on wood)