PDA

View Full Version : Cat Pee

Geezle
11-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Hopefully somebody here can help me out with this.

One of my cats has recently taken to peeing in random spots on the floor in my apartment. Yesterday though, she went too far and peed on my bed :mad3::mad3::mad3:

The biggest thing is I can't figure out WHY she's doing it. I'm guessing she's 4-5 years old, but I can't say for sure. Also, she has been fixed.

At first she would do it when nobody's home, but recently she's taken to doing it whenever...the last time was about half an hour ago.

My wife has recently started working again, so I was thinking maybe it's an attention thing now that the place is often empty during the day, so I've been trying to give her some extra attention when I'm around.

Right now though, I've got her on lockdown in a large (dog size) kennel in the kitchen.

This is really starting to drive me crazy. On the floor is bad enough, but going on the bed is just too much for me.

If anybody has any advice I'm all ears. We really need to get our kitty sorted out.

diamonddave
11-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Not to be cold hearted but once a kitty starts doing that at any age, they will not stop. There is only one cure.

Geezle
11-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Not to be cold hearted but once a kitty starts doing that at any age, they will not stop. There is only one cure.

Nah, I don't believe that.

My wife is from the US and had to go back for about 9 months (the permanent residency process sucks) and after she left the cat was peeing on the floor for a while, but eventually stopped.

This is what kind of makes me think it's an attention kinda thing.

Okotokian
11-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Take the cat to the vet. We once had a cat that started doing that. In his case it was some sort of urinary tract problem, crystals developing in the urine and irritating the tract. Got some temporary medication, changed foods (that was the major problem) and the problem stopped. IAMS has a special food to handle that problem, if that's what it is.

Geezle
11-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Take the cat to the vet. We once had a cat that started doing that. In his case it was some sort of urinary tract problem, crystals developing in the urine and irritating the tract. Got some temporary medication, changed foods (that was the major problem) and the problem stopped. IAMS has a special food to handle that problem, if that's what it is.

I know what you're talking about...my friend's cat had that exact issue, and I think it cost her about $1300 to get him straightened out.

My cats get a low PH low magnesium food (don't remember brand off hand) which should help avoid that problem. Also, that problem apparently affects male cats more than females.

Nevertheless, a trip to the vet may be coming in the near future.

Okotokian
11-13-2009, 09:32 AM
I know what you're talking about...my friend's cat had that exact issue, and I think it cost her about $1300 to get him straightened out.

Can't be the same issue. Mine didn't cost 10% of that to clear up. But if you delay and surgery is required later, yeah, it could.

The Fisherman Guy
11-13-2009, 09:39 AM
If it were a health issue, the cat would not pee on your bed, she would probably try to hide it. Sounds to me like a spite issue, related to the changes in your home.

Enforce your dominance, so that she will not continue challenging you for it.

Okotokian
11-13-2009, 09:42 AM
If it were a health issue, the cat would not pee on your bed, she would probably try to hide it. Sounds to me like a spite issue, related to the changes in your home.

Enforce your dominance, so that she will not continue challenging you for it.

How do you enforce your dominance on a cat? LOL

Nerdapres'
11-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Get him to the vet. Could be any number of things.

Mike_W
11-13-2009, 09:47 AM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Yukon_Jack/22LR_cartridge_0625.png

FishBrain
11-13-2009, 10:01 AM
How do you enforce your dominance on a cat? LOL

you pick her up by the neck, stuff her into the pee, then pick her up and yell at her, toss her into the kennel for a few hours. Dont forget to give love when you let her out.
OR pick her up by the head and spin!
Sorry but if she pee'd on my bed, the kids would come home wondering why the cat dissappeared. My little female cat pee'd on my bearskin once...once. I did what I just described, minus the spin by the head (oh how I was tempted)
She is a little scared around me now, but I am sure to show her some love, and she has not pee'd anywhere else.

Also try to clean the litter box everyday until she stops. that is if you dont want to discipline her

dubbya
11-13-2009, 10:08 AM
My wife is a vet...she sees this all the time. The cat has a bladder/urinary tract infection. Best to take it to the vet. Or get a fisher, they like cats too.

CaberTosser
11-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I had a problem with my cat peeing on my footwear for a while years back, but I think it was mostly telling me to not let the litter get so disgusting. Once I kept the box changed more frequently the behaviour stopped. There were other instances where I managed to figure out the cause, but one I'm still not sure on. What was interesting though, is when I was convinced it was time to "neutralize" the problem, the bad behaviour ceased. I've had the cat 11 years, and it was about 2 when I got it. In my mind there's no available budget for a destructive cats medical needs, but this critter seems to sense just when I've had it up to here and will take no more. And I think it knows.

Do you know how many cats you can get for $1300? 1300..... probably more....

searay
11-13-2009, 10:16 AM

I agree, my parents always had cats and once they started they considered anywhere and every where their litter box.. One time I had stopped by my parents with my girlfriend (now wife) before we went out for the night and went to do something and took my shirt off and put it on a couch in their family room. I ran downstairs to move something for my dad, came back put my shirt back on then proceeded out with my girlfriend in about 15 minutes I realized I didn't smell very good. And their stupid cat named Abraham ****ed on my shirt in the 3 minutes I had taken it off to move something.. I was choked !!!

Redfrog
11-13-2009, 10:56 AM
PULL!!!!:D

A man who tries to carry a cat by the tail learns a lesson he can learn no other way.

Seriously I had a cat like that. I had his tail cut off. worked great. but you have to make the cut just behind the ears.:rolleyes:

deerassassin
11-13-2009, 10:59 AM

hehehe thats what i was thinkin

Geezle
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
you pick her up by the neck, stuff her into the pee, then pick her up and yell at her, toss her into the kennel for a few hours. Dont forget to give love when you let her out.
OR pick her up by the head and spin!
Sorry but if she pee'd on my bed, the kids would come home wondering why the cat dissappeared. My little female cat pee'd on my bearskin once...once. I did what I just described, minus the spin by the head (oh how I was tempted)
She is a little scared around me now, but I am sure to show her some love, and she has not pee'd anywhere else.

Also try to clean the litter box everyday until she stops. that is if you dont want to discipline her
This is pretty much what I did...minus the spin ;) Grab her by the scruff, jam her face in it, give her a slap on the arse and toss her in the kennel. She's going to be in the kennel until tonight...hopefully she'll clue in :rolleyes: And I'll be nice to her when I let her out :)

I'm quite sure that it's a spite thing as well, just because she did this before, only not to the same extent.

edit: I've also been making a point of scooping out the litter boxes at least once a day.

Geezle
11-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Do you know how many cats you can get for $1300? 1300..... probably more....
Believe me...I know, heck people give kittens away for free all the time.

The stupid little cat is my friend though, and I'm not going to throw in the towel just yet. I think I just need to figure out exactly what it is that's causing this behavior (and I do think it's behavioral and not medical) and sort it out.

Either that or she'll be spending a lot of time in the kennel for the next while....:o

The Rog Man
11-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I have a spayed female cat that has attitude.
On occasion she has pooped in the front room and once pooped in my bedroom.
The poop was transferred into her food dish right next too her food and when she was let out of her small kennel too eat this is what she was treated too.
she hasn't done this in a very long time now . you just have too find ways too communicate with animals.
I am from the farm, if things get too out of hand she will be dealt with farm style.

Kanonfodder
11-13-2009, 12:14 PM

Is this also the solution when your dog starts ****ing in the house too? Seems to me I can get alot of puppies for 1300 too...just curious

doetracks
11-13-2009, 12:33 PM
YUCK - cats. No cats in my house, ever ever ever. At least I won't ever have that problem, unless the hubby starts marking his territory... :lol:

Dick284
11-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Being allergic to cats has it rewards.

Never will know the troubles you guys speak of.

tiggity
11-13-2009, 02:44 PM
my cat has done this is the past too, but i beleive it was because her litter box wasnt clean. now the g/f cleans it more frequently and we havnt had that problem.

Mike_W
11-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Is this also the solution when your dog starts ****ing in the house too? Seems to me I can get alot of puppies for 1300 too...just curious

Oh no dogs are different forsure. For the most part dogs know when they do something wrong ...cats well they know but they don't care. Money is not the issue I hate cats and the mess they make ....my girlfriend loves cats. And actually you can hardly buy a quality dog for under $1000
My dogs would never s*** in the house:tongue2:

Cats :mad2::mad3::mad2:

Kanonfodder
11-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh no dogs are different forsure. For the most part dogs know when they do something wrong ...cats well they know but they don't care. Money is not the issue I hate cats and the mess they make ....my girlfriend loves cats. And actually you can hardly buy a quality dog for under $1000

Thats a load of dog dung! For my money cats are among the most intelligent animals I have ever owned. I have watched a cat open a closed door simply so he could go downstairs. For the most part animals reflect their owners...there are no bad cats just bad cat owners.....:innocent:

hunter tyson
11-13-2009, 05:40 PM
i hear if you tie it up to a tree by its hind leg it makes great coyote bait:rolleyes:

J K

Geezle
11-13-2009, 08:12 PM

Believe me, this cat knows when she's done wrong. I can tell just by how she's acting if she's been up to no good. Usually it's how she's acting that tells me that I need to search around the place for the 'surprise'.

I hate to say it, but she's very smart, but very stupid at the same time...

The Rog Man
11-13-2009, 08:24 PM
My cat is quite smart aswell. you just have too find ways too show them who is in charge.
When my cat is bad the first place she goes is in the kennel,
She is an indoor only cat so if she is bad she gets too wear her collar and lord tunderin she don't like that!!!
And after an overnight stay in her kennel she has a whole new attitude in the morning.
She sure wasn't impressed when she had too eat out of a dish that had her poo in it along with her food...She has never pooped on the rug or anywhere in the house except her litterbox since that day.

kyute
11-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Thats a load of dog dung! For my money cats are among the most intelligent animals I have ever owned. I have watched a cat open a closed door simply so he could go downstairs. For the most part animals reflect their owners...there are no bad cats just bad cat owners.....:innocent:

The smoke was getting thick when the Dog woke the family. They all got out of the burning house safely, even the Cat who, while the family hugged their happy Dog savior, sat under the hedge licking his azz cause he didn't give a damn.

flipper62
11-14-2009, 10:31 PM
If you ruled out health issues good luck.
Some cats seem like they are a reincarnation of evil people from your past. Once they start a certain behavour, you will never win this battle, let alone the war. How much are you willing to spend on an animal that causes you stress, your apartment will always smell like cat pee no matter how good you clean it.

The $30 you spend at the vet will be a bargain.

Geezle
11-16-2009, 10:37 AM
I was wrong...pretty sure it is a medical issue. Last night the wife found a couple drops of pee by the litter box that were tinged red.

Kitty's going to the vet in about an hour, hope it's not *too* expensive :o

Geezle
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Back from the vet. Apparently it's most likely a urinary tract infection, though she could have an issue with crystals in the urine as well.

The vet sent us home with some antibiotics and some canned food that's supposed to help with urinary problems.

I didn't know this, but apparently a dry food only diet isn't particularly good for kitties and can lead to urinary problems, so hopefully a change in diet will help prevent this from happening again.

Thanks to everybody who offered (constructive) advice :wave:

Okotokian
11-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Back from the vet. Apparently it's most likely a urinary tract infection, though she could have an issue with crystals in the urine as well.

The vet sent us home with some antibiotics and some canned food that's supposed to help with urinary problems.

I didn't know this, but apparently a dry food only diet isn't particularly good for kitties and can lead to urinary problems, so hopefully a change in diet will help prevent this from happening again.

Thanks to everybody who offered (constructive) advice :wave:

Glad you caught it. Apparently a lot of it has to do with the ash content in some food. It's an irritant. You want low ash.

Geezle
11-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Glad you caught it. Apparently a lot of it has to do with the ash content in some food. It's an irritant. You want low ash.

I didn't know that about the ash, I'll have to look into that, but the vet did mention that high magnesium content is bad and can cause problems too. The food I give my cats is a low mag food, but it's also President's Choice stuff, so quality is questionable.

This particular cat doesn't always drink enough either I don't think, so the vet said that canned food will help with the fluid intake.

Sundancefisher
11-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Hopefully somebody here can help me out with this.

One of my cats has recently taken to peeing in random spots on the floor in my apartment. Yesterday though, she went too far and peed on my bed :mad3::mad3::mad3:

The biggest thing is I can't figure out WHY she's doing it. I'm guessing she's 4-5 years old, but I can't say for sure. Also, she has been fixed.

At first she would do it when nobody's home, but recently she's taken to doing it whenever...the last time was about half an hour ago.

My wife has recently started working again, so I was thinking maybe it's an attention thing now that the place is often empty during the day, so I've been trying to give her some extra attention when I'm around.

Right now though, I've got her on lockdown in a large (dog size) kennel in the kitchen.

This is really starting to drive me crazy. On the floor is bad enough, but going on the bed is just too much for me.

If anybody has any advice I'm all ears. We really need to get our kitty sorted out.

Firstly...the cat needs a vet visit. Going all over like that seems to me that the cat is in physical distress or pain.

Secondly...if not the first...look at diet (with the vet), change the litter type...non dusty clumping is good, change the behavior...is there something that sets the cat off...kids bugging etc. You can also for a short period of time put a new litter box in the room where the cat is going most often. Then over time move the litter box closer and closer to where you want it to stay.

Thirdly...whereever the cat has gone...treat the carpet really really well with one of the pet odor removers...very important...like dogs the scent brings them back often. Also I would STRONGLY suggest doing a complete carpet clean and pay for the extra pet stain and odor remover. If someone had a dog or cat there once before the cat may be reacting to all the strange pet odors and trying to protect it territory.

Fourthy...if an expensive vet bill is coming...maybe use the bullet people mentioned as an alternative on yourself :cry: (just kidding)...less painful that trying to argue with the wife... Trust me...

Geezle
11-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks Sun :)

The cat went to the vet today, and it does look like it's a diet related issue. Got some antibiotics for her, and some special food, and we're going to make some diet changes. Hopefully this will sort her out.

The spots on the carpet have been cleaned well, but we haven't used any of those pet odor neutralizers...at least not yet. She didn't really seem to be going in any spots regularly, it was just kind of wherever.

As for the vet bill, it was about $115 including the antibiotics, food, and a bag of "Pill Pockets."

As a sidenote, thinking about the "how to give a cat a pill" thread, these Pill Pockets are great. They're kind of a hollow soft treat you just put the pill in and pinch shut. Gave it to my cat along with a couple other treats and she scarfed it right down :)

Geezle
11-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Since I've been posting pics tonight, here's the little cat that's been causing me so much grief recently.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/s6300550.jpg

By far one of the coolest cats I've encountered and well worth the hassle (and cost) of keeping around...she's my little friend :)

270man
11-17-2009, 06:53 PM

X2

Kanonfodder
11-17-2009, 08:52 PM
X2

No offence but I think if I was Jay I would go with the vet with the degree rather than people on the internet advocating killing a pet.....did you guys cheer when old Yeller was taken behind the barn too? :rolleye2: Big conversation on shot placement or calibre that Timmy used