PDA

View Full Version : Assorted "I Wonder's"

Okotokian
11-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Just a few questions I haven't found answers to... maybe I asked before and forgot, not sure. :lol: Please note that I've always erred on the side of "I'm not sure, so I'm not going to do it".

1. I was deer hunting and came across a grouse. I hold a game bird licence but did not have it on me so did not shoot. However, if I had, what is the penalty? If you drive and have a valid licence but don't have it on you at the time, the fine, if they even bother to assess it, is pretty minimal. Usually you just have to drop by later and show them your documents. Same for hunting licences, or do they throw the book at you?

2. Can I keep ammo in my vehicle? Firearms act doesn't seem to say anything about it except in relation to the storage of firearms...

3 At what point does transporting a firearm in an "unattended vehicle" become storing it? An hour? a day? a week? The rules are different for each... and yes I know leaving your rifle in your car isn't a great idea. But I don't actually see anything in the firearms act that says you couldn't store your non-restricted firearm IN your vehicle. I MUST be missing something. From the regulations:

STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS
5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
(a) it is unloaded;
(b) it is
(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
(ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
(3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

mtylerb
11-13-2009, 05:58 PM
3 At what point does transporting a firearm in an "unattended vehicle" become storing it? An hour? a day? a week? The rules are different for each... and yes I know leaving your rifle in your car isn't a great idea. But I don't actually see anything in the firearms act that says you couldn't store your non-restricted firearm IN your vehicle. I MUST be missing something. From the regulations:

STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS
5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
(a) it is unloaded;
(b) it is
(i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
(ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
(3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.

You answered your own question. Since you can't transport a without attending the vehicle, it becomes storing as soon as it's unattended. Transporting, it doesn't matter if the gun is visible. If it's being stored - unattended - the gun must not be visible. That goes for non-restricted only. Prohibs and restricted have other rules. This was sort of covered back in the Lethbridge Police and Hunting Rifles (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=39977&p=378739) thread.