PDA

View Full Version : Pcr

salmonfan
11-13-2009, 04:22 PM
I am going to PCR - any advice on what sort of hardware to use? Will just be fishing from shore. As usual, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

WayneChristie
11-13-2009, 04:28 PM
jigs and pieces of smelts, all you need, fish from the boat launch area, straight out. any colour of jig will work, and you only need a 1/4 or so of smelt. have fun. just remember its catch and release, and the fish glow in the dark from there.
Or toss big pike lures.

salmonfan
11-14-2009, 12:56 PM
jigs and pieces of smelts, all you need, fish from the boat launch area, straight out. any colour of jig will work, and you only need a 1/4 or so of smelt. have fun. just remember its catch and release, and the fish glow in the dark from there.
Or toss big pike lures.

great thanks. do you ever use the smelts still frozen? I have heard this works well, but have always thawed mine.

WayneChristie
11-14-2009, 02:30 PM
I put my smelts in a baggie with coarse salt, toughens them up and they stay on the hook better. doesnt really matter if you thaw them first or not.

Newspeak
11-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Or toss big pike lures.

What's this all about?? If you don't mind me asking.

Mudslide
11-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I believe there is a mercury warning on the fish at PCR.

Newspeak
11-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Gotcha, thanks!

And thanks to WayneChristie for the warning. Never fished there, but it's good to know.

nicemustang
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Catch and release anyway for walleye....and who eats pike anyway...yuck.

Bud Leight
11-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Catch and release anyway for walleye....and who eats pike anyway...yuck.

anyway anyway

jts1
11-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Got to say I have had my fair share of Ling and the odd Pike out of PCR. I have not got'n any uglier or grown a third arm or anything. "No peanut gallery comments needed"

baitfisher83
11-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Wayne I dont remember them glowing in the dark at the meet..lmfao

baitfisher83
11-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Got to say I have had my fair share of Ling and the odd Pike out of PCR. I have not got'n any uglier or grown a third arm or anything. "No peanut gallery comments needed"

hahahaha omg...

DarkAisling
11-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I do find it peculiar that the pike and ling don't have the same mercury warning attached to them as the walleye.

If the mercury is naturally occurring in PCR (as the reports indicated), does it not stand to reason that the pike and ling would also be affected?

There is a part of me that thinks the walleye-mercury warning at PCR is more about stopping the poaching than anything else.

nicemustang
11-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Its a fact that mercury doesn't only occur in walleye, but pike as well. The bigger they are the more mercury they have. There's probably a report issued.

DarkAisling
11-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Its a fact that mercury doesn't only occur in walleye, but pike as well. The bigger they are the more mercury they have. There's probably a report issued.

Here's the report:
http://www.health.alberta.ca/documents/Mercury-Fish-S-Alberta-Res-2009.pdf

You're correct. It does indicate mercury levels in PCR for fish other than walleye (page 10), the concentrations are just much lower.

WayneChristie
11-21-2009, 07:35 AM
"The estimated exposures to mercury were highest for the high fish intake group"
Trust the government to state the obvious!!!:lol: