PDA

View Full Version : Nokian tires any one?

shekaree
11-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I need 4 new tires for my little RAV4.....Someone told me that KAL TIRES have Nokian tires and they are pretty good.....does any one here own these tires and are they really worth $325 a piece?

Thanks and regards

TheClash
11-13-2009, 06:28 PM
good tires imho....roll very smooth, grip well...last ok..not as long as some..but they are a great tire.

fishhawk1850
11-13-2009, 06:58 PM
I have these on my truck with over 50,000 k still over half tread left. Good tire life for a 35x12.5 on a Dodge 2500 cummins.

Drewski Canuck
11-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Call around. Often oilpatch outfits order trucks, bring them in to get grip tires, and get a trade in value on the OEM new tires. I paid $85.00 a piece for Vativas for my Dodge Diesel 2500. No warranty, but the install and balance package is flat repair and rotation / balancing for life.

Vativas are great. I did blow out one tire and had to pay full freight for a replacement as I could not locate a used replacement.

Drewski

Olderangler
11-13-2009, 08:21 PM
I have them on my subaru and can't say enough good about them, had my daughter put them on her jeep too.

northerntrapper
11-13-2009, 08:27 PM
We're on our second set on the Toyota 4-runner. Great handling tires. Sometimes they have a hell of a time getting them sealed on the rims. Had one on each set of tires with a slow leaker at the rim. They got it after a couple of tries. Warranty on these tires is really good. You get what you pay for.

rogue9
11-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I have Nokians on my wife's car. Hakkapeliitta is their name. All weather snowflake. Good traction & last well 50,000 km. We will need new tires next year & if keeping the car will look at another set.

Kal tire by the way has superior customer service. I hit a curb after installing said tires(about 3 weeks later), tore the sidewall & cursing a storm put the spare on. Next day Kal tire replaced my mistake for free. I was expecting to buy a new tire. So I'll deal there again.

northerntrapper
11-13-2009, 08:29 PM
I guess I should have made it clear that they sometimes have trouble sealing them on TOYOTA rims.

FishinFreak
11-13-2009, 08:39 PM
wife has them on her minivan and Dad has them on his Escape; very good tire; Dad got his at Costco I think and I got the wifes through the local TireCraft dealer only paid a little over $200 per balanced and installed though so I'd shop around a bit if I was you

Robmcleod82
11-13-2009, 08:39 PM
My girlfriend has them on her car and they have been great. Really good winter tire and the best part is you can run them year round!

Matt L.
11-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Nokians are the best winter tire out there IMO. They are definitly worth the price. Kal-Tire is also one of, if not the, best tire shop out there. They will wear fairly fast on gravel because they use a soft rubber compound, but still well worth it.

sourdough doug
11-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Just last week, I had a set put on my son's explorer, the Nok Hakka's, 245/70R16, Which I believe to be a light truck tire or thereabouts. Anyway, they came to just over $1000 so 325/ tire seems much to me.. and those were the ice tires.. fwiw..

denpacc
11-14-2009, 08:55 AM
I guess I should have made it clear that they sometimes have trouble sealing them on TOYOTA rims.

Thanks for mentioning this as I was going to put them on my wife's 4runner. Now I am second guessing my decision. Perhaps I'll go with the stock Michelins.

Cheers

Matt L.
11-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I'd still go with the Nokians if I were you. jmo.

elkhunter11
11-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for mentioning this as I was going to put them on my wife's 4runner. Now I am second guessing my decision. Perhaps I'll go with the stock Michelins.

The first thing that I did when I bought my Camry was replace the Michelins with Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads.With the Michelins,traction was terrible on ice/snow and in rain.The Triple Treads totally transformed the handling for a huge improvement.

Matt L.
11-14-2009, 11:10 AM
The problem with Goodyears though is that it's a crapshoot. I've seen them last fairly well, and I've also had and seen ones that were just plain sh!t, fwiw.

wollybugger
11-14-2009, 11:13 AM
put vativa's on my truck a few years ago and love them

elkhunter11
11-14-2009, 11:41 AM
The problem with Goodyears though is that it's a crapshoot. I've seen them last fairly well, and I've also had and seen ones that were just plain sh!t, fwiw.

I have had good luck with three sets of Triple treads on three different vehicles,although my experiences with other Goodyear tires was not as good.

denpacc
11-14-2009, 11:43 AM
I'd still go with the Nokians if I were you. jmo.

Trust me I love the Nokians, I am just concerned about leakage problems on my Yota rims. I'll have to ask Kal-Tire how they deal with that leaking problem on Toyota rims.

Cheers

denpacc
11-14-2009, 11:45 AM
The first thing that I did when I bought my Camry was replace the Michelins with Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads.With the Michelins,traction was terrible on ice/snow and in rain.The Triple Treads totally transformed the handling for a huge improvement.

Problem is I've had issues with Goodyears in the past and now I feel like I'm "GoodYear Challenged".:D

Cheers

roadkill
11-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I know nothing about Nokian's car tyres, but if they're anything like the Nokians on my and the missus' mountain bikes, you can't go wrong with 'em.

elkhunter11
11-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Problem is I've had issues with Goodyears in the past and now I feel like I'm "GoodYear Challenged".

I don't judge tires by brand as much as by the particular model.I have had bad Goodyears and very good Goodyears,and very good Bridgestones,as well as not so good Bridgestones etc..

It's sort of like judging rifles by brand.If you were unfortunate enough to own a 710/770 and judge Remington by that rifle,you would likely never buy another Remington,But if you judged them based on a 700,your opinion could be quite different.

Baulde
11-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I am involved in Rally racing as pit crew and sweep(First aid and vehicle recovery)

The rally teams for *RACING*(when DOT tires are required) on snow/ice use Hankook I-Pike tires studded for the races. Because you can stud them with 4mm studs.

And when we put tires on our own cars, its either these or our preferred tire. Nokian Hakkapeliitta are the best bar non stud less winter tire for trucks and cars. We used a set on our recovery (4x4)suburban and It went places in 2wd the 4wd tow truck could not get to.

I use these tires to rally cross in the winter time and everyone that is into winter performance know these tires. They have much more traction then any other winter tire I have used on ice.

I am religious about swapping my summer/winters at the right times so my winters often last longer then others who wait to long to switch them over. Although I have multiple sets of rims which makes this easy.

I cannot say enough about the nokian hakkapeliitta in the winter. Only thing that can get better traction are studded.

denpacc
11-14-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't judge tires by brand as much as by the particular model.I have had bad Goodyears and very good Goodyears,and very good Bridgestones,as well as not so good Bridgestones etc..

It's sort of like judging rifles by brand.If you were unfortunate enough to own a 710/770 and judge Remington by that rifle,you would likely never buy another Remington,But if you judged them based on a 700,your opinion could be quite different.

Good point. Hunting and fishing analogies work well with me. :D

Cheers

Sputnik
11-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Nokia makes great tires. I have my third set of them on my FJ Cruiser, others were on a Corolla and them a Sienna.

Hakkapaletias (studded), best winter tire I ever owned, very much worth the cost.

Put them on a second set of rims, that way they don't get the wear of taking the rubber on/off the rims and you typically only get charged for a tire rotation.

Matt L.
11-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Trust me I love the Nokians, I am just concerned about leakage problems on my Yota rims. I'll have to ask Kal-Tire how they deal with that leaking problem on Toyota rims.

Cheers

Having worked at Kal, they'll probably deflate 'em, pop the seal, and then inflate 'em again. They may have some other tricks they use tho, I honestly can't remember putting tires on a Toyota. Don't have too many in Wct.

Matt L.
11-14-2009, 11:07 PM
I know nothing about Nokian's car tyres, but if they're anything like the Nokians on my and the missus' mountain bikes, you can't go wrong with 'em.

Well, they're made by the same company. I never used their bike tires, but I never heard anything bad about 'em either

TheClash
11-14-2009, 11:36 PM
great mt bike tires as well....

as far as goodyears go..stay away from goodyear eagles.... i had these on my mazda3... the worst tires for anything other than bone dry pavement i have ever used. even a light rain turned them into a slipping sliding mess...terrible terrible tires.

CMMahy
11-15-2009, 12:17 AM
The girlfriend put the Nokian "All Weather" tires on her car(WR2 I believe), and I've got to say, I'm very impressed with the winter performance, and that's considering I'm running and loving the the BFG All Terrain T/A KO's on my truck. Not to mention, they seem to be wearing very well in the summer time. I was all for the separate all seasons for summer and high end, true winter tires, she picked these, and I've got to say, they lived up to the hype.

Our 2 cents.

notagoodtroutfisher
11-15-2009, 08:06 AM
I need 4 new tires for my little RAV4.....Someone told me that KAL TIRES have Nokian tires and they are pretty good.....does any one here own these tires and are they really worth $325 a piece?

Thanks and regards

I used to Manage a Kal-Tire. I cannot say enough good things about these tires. There only down fall is that they do not last as long as say a Michelin, bridgstone all season. But what you gain is winter traction. The problem with the michelin,bridgestone all season is that they use a stiff rubber compound with less siping (cuts in tread).
Let me know exactly what tire it is and I can tell you if the price is ok.

notagoodtroutfisher
11-15-2009, 08:09 AM

Goodyear is no different than Mich, bridge etc. Like every product made sometimes you get a Lemon. You and I have both seen tires coming from all sorts of manufacturers with problems

roots
11-15-2009, 08:50 AM
I have Nokian i3's for summer tires for my Jetta and I'm happy with them. They are rated all season but I wouldn't dare use them in Edmonton during the winter. I was going to get the studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 tires for $1000 but I was told about the Gislaved Nord*Frost 5 that are $350 cheaper and get great reviews and usually rank #2 after the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5.

standswithabow
11-15-2009, 08:51 AM
I would have to say that they are a very good tire, and agree with a lot of the feedback that you are recieving. As far as the $325 ea ?? NO.
I have 35x12.5R15 Mud tires on my Jeep, and they did not cost anywhere near that $

If you are in Edmonton, call me on monday. I work at a place that allows me to help you in this area. :)

Dale
780-937-6837

denpacc
11-15-2009, 08:56 AM
I used to Manage a Kal-Tire. I cannot say enough good things about these tires. There only down fall is that they do not last as long as say a Michelin, bridgstone all season. But what you gain is winter traction. The problem with the michelin,bridgestone all season is that they use a stiff rubber compound with less siping (cuts in tread).
Let me know exactly what tire it is and I can tell you if the price is ok.

On average what do you find is the difference for longevity. For example my wife's 2004 4Runner has Michelin X-Terrain's (I think that is what they are called) and they have 120 000km's on them. Yes they are worn out, but how does a tire like this compare to, say, one of the Nokian Vatiiva's for longevity? Would I get at least 80-90 000 kms? I don't mind sacrificing some longevity for better traction, but if the Vatiiva's are done by 50 000 then that doesn't make sense to buy them.

Cheers