PDA

View Full Version : Smoking wild game...???

Bush Critter
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Hello I got a question concerning smoking of wild game "deer/moose". I made an outdoor smoker and normally use birch for smoke wood. I know I know... it's probably not the best wood to smoke wild game with, but I been happy with the results so far. My question is what other species of indigenous woods could be used to smoke wild game? I can't use the saw dust stuff you buy at the store, it would be way too expencive... Ma be if anyone knows where I can buy smoking wood in log form near Edmonton? Any help on this would be much apreciated.

deerhunter
11-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Go to Halford's in Edmonton or Calgary. They are very helpful. 35 lb bag of cherry, hickory, maple or oak runs $16 to $18.00 a bag. Phone 1-800-353-7864

Bush Critter
11-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks Deerhunter, but the saw dust stuff dosent work verry well with the smoker that I have made "dosent give off alot of heat" logs work better because they smoke and dry at the same time.

kodiakken
11-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Over the years we have used Saskatoon, Maple, Chokecherry and even Birch.
It is what ever you like best. We usecd these and I still kind of like them because it is what I was brought up on with smoking.

Keep on trying and smoking.

Ken.;)

WayneChristie
11-14-2009, 02:49 PM
I use the trimmings from my apple and crabapple trees, bet there are a lot around you that could use a pruning, good way to do someone a favour and get yourself some free smoking wood at the same time. I like apple wood for meat poultry and fish, great flavour and still milder than hickory. I even throw a few smaller branches in the gas BBQ when I use it.

huntinstuff
11-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Get some willow and split it.

Soak it in red wine for a week.

Try that.

Oh, and strain the wine and drink it when ur done......:)

Rockymtnx
11-14-2009, 06:45 PM
My family and all the neighbors have used willow for 50 + years.
I've tried pretty much every other type of wood/chips that you can a buy. I personally think willow is the best flavor of any of them. Best of all its free.
Even when it comes down to types of willow I have a favorite. Diamond willow that usually grows in a bush on a fence line is great to use.

slingshot
11-14-2009, 06:56 PM
try and use the rrot makes excellent smoke

TheClash
11-14-2009, 07:53 PM
have never tried willow..will have to give that a go..

but any fruit tree will give you great smoke....chokecherry, apple, cherry etc.....

deanmc
11-14-2009, 07:55 PM
I like alder for smoke. Easy to find too.:wave:

alacringa
11-14-2009, 09:28 PM
try and use the rrot makes excellent smoke

But rrotten wood kinda makes the meat smell funny...:evilgrin:

Rockymtnx
11-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Anyone who wants to try daimond willow let me know.
I can cut a bunch up and if your ever travelling travelling hwy 2 between Edmonton and Red Deer, I'm only 2 minutes off the highway.