PDA

View Full Version : ice auger

kinwahkly
11-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey, i want to buy a new 8 inch hand auger, any recomendations ?
Thanks

Chris88CL
11-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah, save your money and buy a gas powered auger. Never again will I hand drill a hole. Ever.

spurly
11-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Ihave had them all, and for the money the 2hp Jiffy is hard to beat. Crappy tire puts them on every year for $279 or so.

lyallpeder
11-14-2009, 10:03 PM
i got this in 6" last year and found it great. i don't have the budget for a power auger and at $75 this is a good buy take a look at the reviews. i saw a bunch on kijiji at one time too.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/IceFishing/PRDOVR~0788037P/Normark%2B8-in%2BIce%2BAuger%2Bwith%2BTelescopic%2BHandle.jsp (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/IceFishing/PRDOVR~0788037P/Normark%2B8-in%2BIce%2BAuger%2Bwith%2BTelescopic%2BHandle.jsp)

GummyMonster
11-14-2009, 11:55 PM
I've done a lot of research on this, and the Nils master augers sound like they are top quality. Also with them, you can buy the hand auger for now, and then purchase the power head as finances allow.
Also in my searches I've read that Jiffy has changed engines for this year , supposedly the quality of the new engines are not very good.
Check out iceshanty.com for more info on this topic.
Hope this helps
:evilgrin:Ken:evilgrin:

Hunter Trav
11-17-2009, 09:41 AM
The new Mora's are pretty sweet looking, not sure what they're going for, but would be worth checking out as well.

CMMahy
11-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Here's the 8" Finbor II in action on Sylvan 2 winters ago, folding handle, blades available just about anywhere for cheap, whole auger costs about $75 at Canadian Tire.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh272/cmmahy/IMG_2267.jpg

If you can swing the coin, gas is the way to go, but until I saved enough for my Jiffy STX, this auger got me fishing, even in the deepest ice.

slingshotz
11-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I used the Finbore 6" all last year and really had no problems with it other than when the ice got a little too thick near the end of the season. You do have to be very careful keeping the blades sharp though. When the blades are sharp it cuts through quicker than the time it takes someone to start up their gas and punch though.

Saying that, I am probably going to look for a gas powered one this year to punch a lot of holes at once, my elbow is still sore from all the flyfishing this year.

Newspeak
11-17-2009, 11:35 AM
The Finbore II's are a good choice.

Don't listen to all these old men about the gas powered :), I've never had a problem drilling by hand. It's not as much work as its made out to be (Quieter too), just keep the blades sharp!

ghostguy6
11-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Ive got one of the swede bore 8"ers from walmart and it works great. Quite often they are on sale for $50. No matter what auger you end up getting, make sure you keep the blades sharp and you wont have a problem. Last year I had a buddy time me, 42 seconds to drill 33" of ice!

Jims71duster
11-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Ive got one of the swede bore 8"ers from walmart and it works great. Quite often they are on sale for $50. No matter what auger you end up getting, make sure you keep the blades sharp and you wont have a problem. Last year I had a buddy time me, 42 seconds to drill 33" of ice!

I could do it in 42 seconds too,,then the next one would be 84 seconds then 5 min, then I need to move, then three more, then I'm too pooped to fish,,, mostly cuz
I'm old lol. when I wa young,, no problem but I'm still tough enough to pull a recoil rope

Gillfisher
11-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Be nice to us oldtimers, I used a 6" hand auger for 30 years and finally got a 8" gas auger a couple of years ago. Now I don't even take my hand auger especially when walking any great distance onto the ice. Like Spray for example that can be a long walk and the ice gets thick some years.

fourty12
11-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Used a hand auger for 1/2 of my first season. Drilled 20+ holes one day and got skunked! My buddy bought a gas auger for our very next outing!.... and we're not old!

hard_azz
11-18-2009, 10:14 AM
got a buddy that swears by his power auger... but if i only gotta punch thru 18" or less its almost not even worth starting the dam thing... i run a hand auger all year... it is a bit of a work out but if thats gonna kill me at 23 then i guess its my time to go... my suggestion is if ur willing to put in an honest effort to catch ur fish (which i personally think is the true spirit of icefishing) and dont really need to spend $300+ on an auger then the $75 at canadian tire is deffinately the way to go (u will deffinately make it easier on ur self if u keep the blades good and sharp).... but if u do have the cash to blow and ARE scared of a little hard work then go get a power auger

just my 2cents

Cal
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
My recomendation would be to get a 6" not an 8" for one as they are a bit easyer on the arms, and to buy used if you can. I purchased mine for 10 bucks over a decade ago and untill the last two years it was all I used. I just bought one off my neighbour for $2 and sold it to a board member for whopping $5.

Gas augers are nice to have but I dont even break mine out for the first couple months, especily if I have to walk. If the ice is less than 30" and you have to walk it is more trouble to drag the gas auger out there than it is to drill holes with the hand auger. Even when I plan on using my power auger I bring my hand auger as a backup. Drilling through 4' of ice by hand is a better option than going home without dropping a line should the jiffy act up.

Another point to ponder is that Tecumsi who suplyed most of the comon ice auger companies with engines went under last year. I own a Eskimo auger that has an in-house engine on it rather than a Tecumsi and it has been a disaster. If I did not already own a Jiffy, at this point I would be waiting a year or 5 to see how the new engines are working out. The other option is throwing down a substancial amount of cash on a huskey or a stihl but to a guy looking for a hand auger I doubt you would want to do that.

DANOMAN
11-18-2009, 04:02 PM
first off if theres one thing that cracks me up is !! a guy walking on the ice and using his auger as a cane or walking stick. then you watch him drill a hole and struggle to cut fresh air,,,,,,, let alone ice by the time he drills one hole you can drill 10 with sharp blades. RULE # 1 dont bang the blades on the ice if you respect that rule you can drill holes no problem with a 6" or an 8 " auger. i have one and my suggestion is get one thats one piece and have your blade protectors on and take care of it. It will last you a lifetime. CHANGE BLADES ON IT ABOUT EVERY 2 YEARS. I usually wait till spring canadian tire or walmart puts them on sale to blow them out for the summer fishing gear. I never wanted a power auger there heavy and try carrying 30 extra lbs 1/4 mile and by the time you pull that cord and warm up the auger enough that she will drill i can have 3 holes in the ice. So for you guys walking with your auger/walking sticks i will still watch you and laugh!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek:

WayneChristie
11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
first off if theres one thing that cracks me up is !! a guy walking on the ice and using his auger as a cane or walking stick. then you watch him drill a hole and struggle to cut fresh air,,,,,,, let alone ice by the time he drills one hole you can drill 10 with sharp blades. RULE # 1 dont bang the blades on the ice if you respect that rule you can drill holes no problem with a 6" or an 8 " auger. i have one and my suggestion is get one thats one piece and have your blade protectors on and take care of it. It will last you a lifetime. CHANGE BLADES ON IT ABOUT EVERY 2 YEARS. I usually wait till spring canadian tire or walmart puts them on sale to blow them out for the summer fishing gear. I never wanted a power auger there heavy and try carrying 30 extra lbs 1/4 mile and by the time you pull that cord and warm up the auger enough that she will drill i can have 3 holes in the ice. So for you guys walking with your auger/walking sticks i will still watch you and laugh!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek:

X2 or even replace the blades every year, for the cost it saves a lot of sweat. Besides a hand auger warms you up on a really cold day.

noslack
11-18-2009, 06:25 PM
That's funny you mention that. I remember getting my first hand auger on xmas day. so that day i walked from my back yard to Lunch Bay ( right near Place D'Olreans ;) ) and first hole i struck a rock! my blades were shot. oh well, i learned my lesson, know your depth.

here's my advice on hand augers.

1- Don't lend to friends, punch holes for them. I had a Finn-Bore II, great auger!!!! But my friend was not using it properly. He was pushing down on the top handle, and only turning the bottom one. man again i learned my lesson. Same friend pulled the starter cord straight out of my chainsaw, busting the starter recoil spring.:mad3: I stopped lending stuff to friends, no matter who you are.

2- Get a gas auger. i'v spent too much cash on hand augers! and when the ice gets thick you'll wish you had a power auger. Up in Quebec you are allowed to fish with 5 lines during the winter. Five friends of us would go out for a day of Pike ice fishing and use a power auger, can you imagine 25 holes with a hand auger? ....

just my opinion

GummyMonster
11-18-2009, 08:43 PM
I just put in an order for and Ice Gator electric auger. Hope it works out. I will report on it soon!
The guy I e-mailed got right back to me to answer my questions and informed me that since they don't have a distributor in Canada, they aren't charging any shipping to Canadian customers.
I'll let you know what happens.
:evilgrin:Ken:evilgrin:

Mudslide
11-18-2009, 10:36 PM
I have a 2 yr old 10 inch Jiffy Stealth STX, but I am buying an 8 inch Finbore with the offset handles this year for early walkouts. Next year I'm going to go with an IceGator with the new lighter stronger batteries and just use the Finbore underneath it because the IceGators don't come with a drill end, they are just the power head.

Freedom55
11-19-2009, 06:37 AM
I have a 6" hand auger (Sweda) with the top handle straight over the cutters that comes apart like a pool cue. My buddy has the type with the off-set handle that folds. Mine outperforms his a 3 to 1. Can't make his stop drifting across the ice and the resulting hole is tapered, wider at the top by 3 or 4 inches. Way too much work.
I've have a Jiffy 8" for two seasons now but the sweda lives in the truck as a hold-out against internal combustion malfunction. I'm guessing that the air is a little thinner in the mountains and old smoky just can't breath right up there.
I always pack spare cutters and a wrench. I've punched into the sand a bunch of times over the years, which has the immediate affect of ruining your day.
With a little practice, I learned to make two 6" holes side by each to produce a 6x10 hole big enough for just about everything that swims.
I also find that if you are precise and consistant with the oil/gas mixture (always high octane) and add a few ml of StaBil to the mix every time, the little motors will start well and run for years. Also, remove the leg and store the engine up-right after use.

Free (at last)

DANOMAN
11-19-2009, 05:08 PM
yes no slack 25 holes if you bring 5 people and you need 25 holes i drill 5 for myself and drill your own cotton pickin holes lol then if the guys want to fish that came along you can be freekin shure they will drill there own 5 ,,,,,,,,,,,,so there !!! lol :tongue2::tongue2::evilgrin:

noslack
11-19-2009, 06:54 PM
hahaha!! Word Dan!

I'm interested to hear on what you think of the icegator this year.

Please keep us up dated!

DANOMAN
11-19-2009, 06:58 PM
icegator? my ice auger is an icegator? your right it bites like butter!!:wave: