PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna/Eskimo Ice augers

slingshotz
11-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Is there any place in Calgary, or near by, that sells the Husqvarna ice auger. I want to have a upclose look at it.

Otherwise, anyone been to any Costco's yet that are selling the Eskimo gas powered auger?

Mudslide
11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Looked at Costco in NE Calgary last week and no augers yet.

Penner
11-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Wholesale sports should have the Husky's. They do up here in Edmonton. Otherwise check out any dealer whom sells their chainsaws. The Lawn Mower Hospital has them up in Edmonton. Great service also.

Hiflyer
11-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Costco in Lethbridge bought in 16 at 329.00 5 days later 3 left.
I got mine, looking forward to hard water.

Triple Threat
11-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Is there any place in Calgary, or near by, that sells the Husqvarna ice auger. I want to have a upclose look at it.

Otherwise, anyone been to any Costco's yet that are selling the Eskimo gas powered auger?

I can't think of the name but there off barlow and 16th buy the casio I think it is alberta lawn and care they have them and the carry a stihl aguar as well but there a little heavier around 25 lbs ? i'm looking at the husky myself.

slingshotz
11-18-2009, 04:33 PM
There was a place in Saskatoon selling the Nils augers last year but alas this year they are not bringing them in. I've read lots about them and now I want one. Only problem is I can find anyplace in Canada to get one. Cabelas USA has it but it'll be nice to get one up here do I don't have to deal with duties and crap like that.

ragweed
11-18-2009, 07:16 PM
I can't think of the name but there off barlow and 16th buy the casio I think it is alberta lawn and care they have them and the carry a stihl aguar as well but there a little heavier around 25 lbs ? i'm looking at the husky myself.

I priced a Husq at Alberta Forest and Lawn (I think that's the name).
It was over 1k with blade, after Tax.

Cal
11-18-2009, 07:34 PM
I own one a eskimo and it doesnt belong in the same sentance as a huskey. Completely different ends of the price and quality spectrum. I have an eskimo and it is garbage. That being said now that tecumsi's gone under buying anything besides a huskey or stihl is pretty much a crap shoot. Thank god I finaly sprung for a jiffy last year, just in time.

Jims71duster
11-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I own one a eskimo and it doesnt belong in the same sentance as a huskey. Completely different ends of the price and quality spectrum. I have an eskimo and it is garbage. That being said now that tecumsi's gone under buying anything besides a huskey or stihl is pretty much a crap shoot. Thank god I finaly sprung for a jiffy last year, just in time.

some of the jiffy's have those motors too don't they. I know I was at wholesale s and they had a auger there that was not a eskimo but had the exact same motor as my eskimo just had the brand name on it istead of the bagain briggs.BTW my eskimo is a 3hp and its been gr8, more power than I can hold back if it bites in

Cal
11-19-2009, 08:14 PM
some of the jiffy's have those motors too don't they. I know I was at wholesale s and they had a auger there that was not a eskimo but had the exact same motor as my eskimo just had the brand name on it istead of the bagain briggs.BTW my eskimo is a 3hp and its been gr8, more power than I can hold back if it bites in

Yeah thats what I was trying to say, jiffy no longer uses tecumsi, not sure what there using. My eskimo starts very well, better than my jiffy but it runs like crap. It bogs out when actualy drilling but runs fine otherwise. I played with the carb myself and couldnt get it fixed. Had a small engine shop look at it and they couldnt get it right. Finaly I ordered a new carb and it still wont run properly. Very glad I got a jiffy befor they switched.

The Fish King
11-19-2009, 08:36 PM
apparently jiffy makes their own engine now. Supposedly with more power than the previous tecumshe models. Should be interesting to find out how they perform

hockey1099
11-19-2009, 09:40 PM
I just bought the 3 man tent from costco online as well as the 8" eskimo "Mako" ice auger. I hope the work if not i have the costco warrenty which means i can return it in spring after the ice is gone if i want

cribfisher
11-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I bought a 10" mako 3 years ago and it's great. Starts 1st pull, runs smoothly and is lighter than most augers.I had people tell me at 1.8 hp it would be to gutless for a 10" but I've drilled holes through 38-40 inches of ice with no problem.

Jims71duster
11-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Yeah thats what I was trying to say, jiffy no longer uses tecumsi, not sure what there using. My eskimo starts very well, better than my jiffy but it runs like crap. It bogs out when actualy drilling but runs fine otherwise. I played with the carb myself and couldnt get it fixed. Had a small engine shop look at it and they couldnt get it right. Finaly I ordered a new carb and it still wont run properly. Very glad I got a jiffy befor they switched.

check you exhaust port to see if its pluging off, sometimes the spark arrestor gums up as well. The only other thing it might be could be a leaking crank seal. it must be something other than fuel. Normally I would say you high screw is out too far (cuz if it was in too far the engine would lean seize) but the new carb should fix that. I am in okotoks if your out one day, I might be able to help ya out. (also ,,heres hoping you are NOT using a champion plug,, theres a reason lots of small engine shops use them cuz if a person will take it to the shop when its because a plug then they will do it again lol)

Cal
11-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Pretty sure I changed the plug while I was fiddling with it. If it sheds any light on the subject, It would run ok for 4-6 holes and then start bogging out, by the time I gave up and got a new carb it would barely do one. With the new carb its back to 4-6 holes. BTW to get parts you have to order them from winipeg, my carb took 3 weeks to get to me which is another major reason I switched to jiffy. Wouldnt mind getting the eskimo running and getting rid of it though.

Dougie55
11-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Fish King...
I do not doubt in a sec what you are saying, but to be honest, I highly doubt Jiffy is using a motor they produced. I would think that they, as with almost all manufacturers, have gone with a new motor produced by the big names in the industry. You make like one type of motor over another, but in 99% of the time, the motors on all these machines are made by a handful of manufacturers.
The biggest differences in the augers, are the gear types, power of the motor, and the shaft and blading systems. I had a Tanaka for years that my buddies raved about, but now, their newer products under a different name are not of the quality. I bought a Strikemaster a few years ago and it wowed a ton of guys in a derby we had at Lake Isle. Sold the damn thing in the divorce...:mad3::mad3:
Anyway, you have to determine what you want in an auger before you buy it, as other than the little bells and whistles that get people to buy, you have to know what kind of conditions you will be using the machine for, and such, and then pick your machine.
My thoughts anyway,
Doug

The Fish King
11-20-2009, 01:55 PM
very true. It will be interesting to see the reliability of this new engine. It is actually built by feldman. So i do stand corrected.

Joe Fehr
11-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Grande Prairie Costco has the augers in.