PDA

View Full Version : Trespassing

Nosler
11-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey Guys,

My dad asked me to post on here, on behalf of himself and other landowners south of Foremost. It seems there has been a lot of hunters this year driving around on land that they don't have permission on. Please ask for permission before driving on peoples land. Last week we had a guy shoot a deer right in our farmyard (there isn't a residence there but there is lot's of equipment and structures) that he didn't ask for permission on. Most guys in the area are pretty good for giving permission but if it keeps up it could ruin it for everyone.

Albertadiver
11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up Nosler, most guys would just close access altogether (I probably would). Thanks for giving some people the benefit of the doubt.

doetracks
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Nosler - hope someone confronted the shooter in question??? I would sure hate to see the loss of hunting opportunities because some doofus didn't have the courtesy ( or general brains) to ask permission.

moosemad
11-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Same problem around Oyen. We got permission, walked in then half tons just kept commin. Drove around the bush patches, spooked the deer then hi balled it across the prairie chasing them. Makes for a miserable hunt. :mad3:

rhuntley12
11-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey Guys,

My dad asked me to post on here, on behalf of himself and other landowners south of Foremost. It seems there has been a lot of hunters this year driving around on land that they don't have permission on. Please ask for permission before driving on peoples land. Last week we had a guy shoot a deer right in our farmyard (there isn't a residence there but there is lot's of equipment and structures) that he didn't ask for permission on. Most guys in the area are pretty good for giving permission but if it keeps up it could ruin it for everyone.

I'd wager most of the posters and majority of the readers here wouldn't trespass. That said, really sorry to hear about the trespassing, it's jerks who ruin it for the good people.

Nationwide
11-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey Guys,

WEll if it wrecks it for everyone one in the future i say so be it send the message to everyone close it down and the other landowners could do the same hey at least you and your dad and other land owners can sleep at night .:wave:

diamond valley
11-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Well I have a place in 234 can't figure why people can't just stop and ask. It's soon going to wreck it for everybody around here. Wake up most farmers are pretty reasonable.

Bassett
11-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Heard a story of a guy once shot a moose 30yrds away from his backyard... his KID WAS IN THE BACK YARD!! btw he had no permisson --- no more hunting on his land..

So actually i am surprised you didnt close it all together so thanks for not letting one idiot rewin it for every other responsible hunter. Hopfully it never happens again.

I've always wondered how many of these clowns are on this forum...

bassett.

DuckBrat
11-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Wow this seems to be a common theme for discussion this year.

Gorram
11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
I was raised on a farm NE Lethbridge, lotsa birds. GD *****z had me taking cover, pellets hitting all around at least a couple of times per year. This was IN THE FARM YARD. :mad3::mad2: This was also 40 years ago.

It's not going to change, until the law allows us to shoot and kill all trespassers....don't hold your breath. :sick:

A tad over the top, I'll admit....but I've learned from long experience that most urban folk, hunters or not, just don't get that rural land is real property, just like their city lot. "but the field is so big, what's a few more ruts? :evilgrin:" "I have so little land, and the farmer so much, he should share HIS property" "he won't mind"--- it's Envy. :(

Human nature does not change.

At the very least, trespassers should have there property taken, trucks, guns, all of it. Good luck getting that passed by our spineless politicos.

Rant over. :mad:

gramps73
11-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Gorram
WOW that is prettty bold statement to say the lease...so I get lost and stop to ask for help and get shot for it:huh::huh:

hal53
11-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Gorram
WOW that is prettty bold statement to say the lease...so I get lost and stop to ask for help and get shot for it:huh::huh:
If you're "lost" in farm country, you obviously didn't buy a county/MD map to check where the landowners live anyway...so what's the problem????...if you don't know where you're at and you see an animal...you going to shoot it????

gramps73
11-17-2009, 08:16 PM
point was "to say that they should be shot" is out of line.

hal53
11-17-2009, 08:18 PM
comment likely made out of frustration...people just don't get it....

rustynailz
11-17-2009, 08:38 PM
I guess I don't understand.

I ALWAYS ask for permission before hunting, and go out of my way to ensure that I'm not intruding on people's supper hour, etc. I also almost never drive in fields, even when I have permission. I always carry an MD map and make a point of reviewing land boundaries with the owner before hunting.

Why should access for people who ask for permission be negatively impacted by those who don't have due respect for landowners? Aren't responsible hunters more sets of eyes to watch out for poachers and idiots?

The way to get fewer poachers out there is to have more responsible hunters.

NCC
11-18-2009, 10:54 AM
From the info I've gathered from my nieghbors and my personal experience, these are the reasons all hunters get banned from property.

1. Joe gets permission to hunt. Joe takes Fred with him. Fred goes back the next week with Jim and Bill. Jim and Bill kill a deer, tell all their friends where they shot it and that the farmer allows hunting. The next day, Jim, Bill, and 25 guys are out driving through the guys place. The farmer stops Jim, who he's never met before, and Jim says, "Joe said we could hunt here". Farmer says "get the #### out of here and tell Jim his permission is revoked and don't bother asking next year!"

2. Joe gets permission to hunt. Parks at the road and walks in. Doug drives by, sees Joe with his gun and figures this farmer allows hunters and blasts the next deer he sees from the road. Farmer stops by to see what is going on, Doug says "you let him hunt so I thought it would be alright."

3. Happened to my wife last night. Sally drives in the yard. Can we (my husband, 25 of his clients and all his friends) hunt your place. No. Why not? Because we already let lots of people on and if your hubby is a guide, he can head to bush and earn his money. But you let Fred hunt. That's because we know him, he's ehtical, and he helps us out all the time. There's lots of deer on your place. That's because unlike you, we don't have an "if it's brown it's down" attitude. Wife comes to house and says that's it; I'm sick of getting bugged by hunters. Next year I don't want anyone hunting on our place and starting tomorrow I'm turning in anyone I catch trespassing.

4. Slob hunters see horns and blast a deer off the road. Walk up to it. Sh!t - it's a mule deer. Oh well. Jump in the truck and take off. Farmer drives by, sees a raven in the tree and checks it out. Finds a dead MD buck and follows the 4 sets of footprints back to the where his wife saw a truck parked the day before. Effin hunters! That's it - no more hunting. Signs are going up tomorrow.

5. Joe drives by and sees a big buck out in the field. Bang and down goes the deer. Joe's loading the deer when the farmer drives by. Fred said you let him hunt, so I thought it would be alright. Farmer blows a gasket and says you, Fred or any other hunter I see out here will be in front of a judge if I even see brake lights near my place again.

5% of hunters jam it up for rest of us. Like it or not, we are seen by the public as a group. When I was kid trying to get permission, the answer was almost always no and the person would go on the list all of the problems they had had in the past with hunters. I only remember one case where after I talked to the wife, the husband called back and said that because he knew me, I could hunt there. In most other cases, I was lumped in with the rest of the group.

I agree that allowing ethical hunters adds some extra survellience to your place and aids in discouraging poachers. I asked one guy this fall for permission and he said "Go ahead, but it's foot access only, and some of the other hunters I've given permission to will skin you if they catch you driving in there."

sdimedru
11-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Speaking of the County/MD maps, where do you typically pick those up from?
Once you know who owns the land how can you contact the owner if there is no residence on-site?

IR_mike
11-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Once you know who owns the land how can you contact the owner if there is no residence on-site?

Question 1. Key words: County/MD Or map store. eg, Maptown

Question 2. Phone book

:):)

sullijr
11-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Why not try the COUNTY OFFICE:mad3:

monstermulie
11-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Maybe not shot........but definatly shot at, not everyone is a good shot with a gun

igorot
11-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I agree that allowing ethical hunters adds some extra survellience to your place and aids in discouraging poachers. I asked one guy this fall for permission and he said "Go ahead, but it's foot access only, and some of the other hunters I've given permission to will skin you if they catch you driving in there."

Nice approach:evilgrin:

Tracker34
11-20-2009, 09:55 AM
It's bad here where I live. My inlaws have farmland and people have no respect for private land. The only people they allow to hunt is family. There are just way too many idiots out there. Most people I see are from Edmonton or Fort MacMurray and once November hits, the outfitter is just as bad. I like to hunt and it's kinda hard to get in a good hunt when you are constantly chasing those people off.

sdimedru
11-20-2009, 12:21 PM
thx for the info

rem338win
11-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Well I have a place in 234 can't figure why people can't just stop and ask. It's soon going to wreck it for everybody around here. Wake up most farmers are pretty reasonable.

Most of the ones I wake up to ask permission get real mad. What's your secret?:D

Vindalbakken
11-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Phone book?

DuckBrat
11-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Let's not forget about the littering. Farmer sees tim hortons bags and cups on his approach and he's going to lose it and stop giving permission. Watched one road hunter drop a half truck load of renovation garbage in our ditch. This all happened four minutes after he missed a moose on the property and sent some bullets 60 M from the residence. Not wise my friend.

Gorram
11-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Not so frustrated now, :o.

Still think the law needs to be changed/enforced or something.

How fast would the cops show up at buddy's city lot, if I start stomping about with a gun? (trigger lock in place and no ammo present, as the city doesn't qualify as a safe place to discharge a gun of course..) :evilgrin:

Trespassing. Is. Trespassing. :mad:

Cheers, G.

Alta-bound tomorow! :D:D:D

Rustynuts
11-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Phone book?

I agree! Every farmer knows is neibour! you ask they should be able to tell you who to phone!

Ken07AOVette
11-21-2009, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=NCC;435665]From the info I've gathered from my nieghbors and my personal experience, these are the reasons all hunters get banned from property.

you forgot a couple

6.Mr. X is a snotty pinhead land owner, and "I am an avid hunter, when the animals show up on my land, they are my animals. I do not want anyone shooting 'my' ducks, geese, deer, chickens, coyotes, gophers or pigeons."
I have only met a couple of these, MOST landowners are awesome and welcome us. A lot of them hunted a generation or 2 ago, like wild meat but have no interest or time anymore. They like the gift of wild meat after a successful harvest.
7. Mr. Y owns the land, and does not believe in hunting, so when he is asked nicely, we get the 'I do not want (place crop disease here) in my crops, so we are not allowing any hunters on the property. "But, it is pasture land, fully wooded, and not surrounded by any farm land?"
"If your tires/boots/shoes/truck was in a field that has (bad disease), even a single spore, it could ruin us, and we could not plant canola for 5 years."
This is generally when the phone hangs up or door closes in your face. *see #7, landowner is likely a hunter.
Plus, apparently deer, moose, coyotes, ducks geese and gophers's feet never touch the ground, so there is no way they could possibly track CLUB ROOT. :rolleyes:

8. Mr Z is mad at the world, 37 years old, never had a wife, has more money than anyone else, does not like hunting and figures that no one else should hunt on his land either, so NO ONE TRESPASSES on HIS land, EVER!
He then sits and waits in a camoflaged location day and night hoping to catch a perpretrator, then rubs himself to sleep at night, job well done. Another 37 years of being single.

Ken07AOVette
11-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey Guys,

I feel for you guys, too bad for the bad attitudes of some hunters.
Do you have any land posted as 'with permission only'?

wheeler
11-21-2009, 01:36 PM
I took a drive just over a week ago north east of lamont near andrew. I couldn't figure out why a lot of signs said no hunting or no trespassing. I actually put the cross hairs on a few deer and never did pull the trigger, because I will respect thier wishes. I'm from back east in NewBrunswick. I've lived here for 4 years and have never seen people taking it soo serious. I mean back there you post a yellow sign which means you can hunt with owners permission or red which means no hunting period, including the owner.

For the most part you won't see any signs and all is good. So I don't understand why pretty much everyone here gets all bent out of shape if you want to hunt on thier land. I mean as long as people are respectfull I don't see a problem. I wouldn't even know how to find out who owns land to ask for permission. I guess you just have to drive up to a farmers house and ask if he owns the land and can hunt on it??

I know I'm NOT back east and this is the way it is........

Knownonscents
11-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I took a drive just over a week ago north east of lamont near andrew. I couldn't figure out why a lot of signs said no hunting or no trespassing. I actually put the cross hairs on a few deer and never did pull the trigger, because I will respect thier wishes. I'm from back east in NewBrunswick. I've lived here for 4 years and have never seen people taking it soo serious. I mean back there you post a yellow sign which means you can hunt with owners permission or red which means no hunting period, including the owner.

For the most part you won't see any signs and all is good. So I don't understand why pretty much everyone here gets all bent out of shape if you want to hunt on thier land. I mean as long as people are respectfull I don't see a problem. I wouldn't even know how to find out who owns land to ask for permission. I guess you just have to drive up to a farmers house and ask if he owns the land and can hunt on it??

I know I'm NOT back east and this is the way it is........

WOW guys! I think we have it figured out now. Its alll the easterners coming out here and driving around putting there scope on the deer and "NOT" pulling the trigger?hmmm.

Buddy the problem is, is that there are a lot of hunters here in alberta and if every one was allowed to hunt where ever they felt like it we'ed have 50000 hunters hunting just outside the city limits.....and if you call hunting driving around and shooting deer from your truck. I think you better get an education. WOW! Dont be so fricken lazy. thats right you can drive up and knock on a door or you can ask questions on a wonderful forum like this prior to going out. or you can contact the county or, or , or ,......Sounds like you need hunters Ed. pal.

And another thing, I dont get how restircting access to ethical hunters is going to prevent the poachers from driving around your fields? I would think allowing a few more hunters and laying some ground rules would be a better option to prevent poaching/tresspassers. And hopefully aid in catching the offenders.

wheeler
11-21-2009, 02:55 PM
WOW guys! I think we have it figured out now. Its alll the easterners coming out here and driving around putting there scope on the deer and "NOT" pulling the trigger?hmmm.

Buddy the problem is, is that there are a lot of hunters here in alberta and if every one was allowed to hunt where ever they felt like it we'ed have 50000 hunters hunting just outside the city limits.....and if you call hunting driving around and shooting deer from your truck. I think you better get an education. WOW! Dont be so fricken lazy. thats right you can drive up and knock on a door or you can ask questions on a wonderful forum like this prior to going out. or you can contact the county or, or , or ,......Sounds like you need hunters Ed. pal.

And another thing, I dont get how restircting access to ethical hunters is going to prevent the poachers from driving around your fields? I would think allowing a few more hunters and laying some ground rules would be a better option to prevent poaching/tresspassers. And hopefully aid in catching the offenders.

Sorry my friend, I do believe you misunderstood me, or I came off the wrong way. I don't hollywood hunt and never said I did. And for the record I took hunters ed sept/21/92. And you saying

That's just ****ed up. I was being honest and didn't shoot anything. I understand some albertans don't like "easterners" but come on.....

Oh and for you to say for me to get an education..........

uncle buck
11-21-2009, 03:00 PM
I followed some hunters into some family land to see who they were. I stopped behind them and they were kind of ****ed that some one else might be ruining their hunt. I asked if they knew where they were on the map and they did not. Told them whose land it was and they left. This has happend on this quarter for years...
The next day we had permission on some other land and no one else did that day. As we were starting to hike a truck pulled in ahead of us, cut us off and then at legal light started firing all kinds of rounds off. They must have missed everthing (best case scenario) because they left soon after and just kept circling us all morning on the surrounding roads. I felt like I was in the middle of a shooting gallery!
Nothing like getting up early and hiking in only to have some drivers pull into the spot you were headed to:mad2:

Ken07AOVette
11-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Sorry my friend, I do believe you misunderstood me,

That's just ****ed up. I was being honest and didn't shoot anything. I understand some albertans don't like "easterners" but come on.....

Oh and for you to say for me to get an education..........

Easy there pal. I dont hate rock huggers, and we arent all rednecks. You dont like being pigeon holed, and neither do I.

Ken07AOVette
11-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I followed some hunters into some family land to see who they were. I stopped behind them and they were kind of ****ed that some one else might be ruining their hunt. I asked if they knew where they were on the map and they did not. Told them whose land it was and they left. This has happend on this quarter for years...
The next day we had permission on some other land and no one else did that day. As we were starting to hike a truck pulled in ahead of us, cut us off and then at legal light started firing all kinds of rounds off. They must have missed everthing (best case scenario) because they left soon after and just kept circling us all morning on the surrounding roads. I felt like I was in the middle of a shooting gallery!
Nothing like getting up early and hiking in only to have some drivers pull into the spot you were headed to:mad2:

You must not be from around here. When you hit the road, if there is another truck ahead of you, no matter where you are going or have been around here, THAT IS HIS SPOT!!! :scared:

I have had people in front of me stop when I turn, turn around, follow me down another road in the hopes that a deer squirts out behind me. :mad3:

DuckBrat
11-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Do you have any land posted as 'with permission only'?

One of the problem with truck hunters is that they drive wherever they wish. They assume because there is no sign that there is no problem with access. No sign means you still ask to enter the property.

willy
11-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Around here i havent been asked once for permission and see people out there most days. Next season it will be posted along with a bunch of other neighbours NO TRSPASSING WITHOUT PERMISSION.

Wolf Tracker
11-21-2009, 08:44 PM
county maps at all county offices some charge 10 or 20 bucks never leave to go hunting with out them.I also like to write the landowners contact number on the map.Just a hint on getting permission lend the land owner a hand in the spring repairing fences-I do it every spring while looking for sheds!

Shmag
11-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey Guys,

And your dad did what??? And the other landowners did what??? My guess nothing. Oh the farmers are so angry!!! but not angry enough to charge people. I just shake my head, what a joke. It's the landowner that has the power to change things, but they don't. People keep trespassing because they know they won't be charged.

If i was a land owner i would make a 4ft by 4ft sign saying
"In 2006 i charged 8 people for trespassing"
"In 2007 i charged 4 people for trespassing"
"In 2008 i charged 7 people for trespassing"
"In 2009 results will be posted after hunting season & it is your decision to become a stat or not. NO TRESPASSING!!!

Actually i would probably make a few signs as they would probably be full of bullet holes. My advice to your dad is CHARGE them.

PoppaW
11-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Way back when my uncle had a 1/4 of land he had a few trespassers go in the back of his land. He put up the orange 'use respect' signs and put his phone # on them. Anybody who phoned got permission. He would do his best to run off the rest. I think he called F&W on one guy who came back without permission.

Its all about respect, and I think its alot more than 5% of the hunters doing it. Probably closer to 50%. Its actually quite sickening.

378 Wthrby
11-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Way back when my uncle had a 1/4 of land he had a few trespassers go in the back of his land. He put up the orange 'use respect' signs and put his phone # on them. Anybody who phoned got permission. He would do his best to run off the rest. I think he called F&W on one guy who came back without permission.

Its all about respect, and I think its alot more than 5% of the hunters doing it. Probably closer to 50%. Its actually quite sickening.

I hope it isn't as high as 50% but it could be.:ashamed:
I was talking to a friend yesterday and they farm alot of property, they allow hunting with permission, they have caught alot of people the last 2 years and 100% of them were from the big cities:tongue2:.
I know I'm probably going to get burned on this but I am only stating what he found out by talking and running them off his families land. Is it that living in the city you read forums like these buy a gun go to a range and shoot, fall comes and off you go without any idea what needs to be done in advance.:confused: A total lack of respect for land owners.:mad3:
It is terrible and I agree with the statement above that the land owners need to prosecute to the full extent of the law. Land owners need to take the time, they are the only people that can really stop this.:evilgrin:
Just my 2 cents:wave:

Ken07AOVette
11-22-2009, 09:02 AM
One of the problem with SOME truck hunters is that they drive wherever they wish. They assume because there is no sign that there is no problem with access. No sign means you still ask to enter the property.

Fixed it for you. Not every one is bad.

Gorram
11-22-2009, 09:23 AM
A quick comment on signs, or there absence:

Do city dwellers post their property? No? I guess it's ok to trespass then...

This is the problem, the PERCEPTION that there are different "classes" of property.

Till this is changed, the problem won't go away.

Cheers, G.

Shmag
11-22-2009, 10:29 AM
A quick comment on signs, or there absence:

Do city dwellers post their property? No? I guess it's ok to trespass then...

This is the problem, the PERCEPTION that there are different "classes" of property.

Till this is changed, the problem won't go away.

Cheers, G.

Ok, but there has been threads of city folk catching people in their yard and the end result of this is...they either got the crap kicked out of them or held until the cops came. See the difference???

LANDOWNERS NEED TO START CHARGING PEOPLE... I would