PDA

View Full Version : No more hat for Cowtown?

The Fisherman Guy
11-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Heard on Global news today at noon, Calgary may do away with the "Heart of the new west" slogan with the stylized red cowboy hat that was created in 2000, at a cost of over $100,000.
It seems that some of Calgary's residents believe that there are no longer cows "in" Cowtown, and the municipal image of our western heritage does not accurately depict our relatively new culture of arts and theatre, that some say is now abundant in Calgary. Bruce Graham, President of Calgary Economic Development, has hired a Los Angeles consulting firm to develop a new image for our city.

This hat issue is not new to the table, but it seems inappropriately timed with the proposal of Santiago Calatrava's 25 million dollar pedestrian Peace Bridge to be built over the Bow river.

Since when did we become this international center of global business, with a stern focus on arts and entertainment? When was the last time any of these decision makers looked at the main reason why we have such a strong financial foundation which has graced us with these new opportunities? It's the farmers, ranchers and oil and gas exploration working together that created this new money. Not a Spanish architect, or a bunch of "The Hills" characters working for a consulting firm in LA.

We have such limited local culture from our short history, it seems only appropriate to honor the people and the cost that our success has been derived from. I believe that we should be proud of our northwestern cowboy heritage, and what we have grown from, and where we are now.
Spending huge amounts of taxpayer dollars on these bridges and another municipal slogan seems very selfish of a small group of residents, when there are much more important issues evidently making lasting a impact on a much larger group of residents.

What do you think?

Albertadiver
11-17-2009, 03:21 PM
I think a bunch of morons are trying to be politically correct.

I work for an architect, so I know how artsy fartsy these guys are, but what happened to supporting the local economy and designers? Believe it or not, there are some world class architects in this City.

My wife is a graphic designer, she does branding, all that stuff. Again, why not let someone local work on it?

People are trying to turn this place into some politically correct fruity version of San Fransisco or something.... :mad3:

rustynailz
11-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I think Calatrava is an amazing world class architect who's work would look wonderful here.

I also think that the odds of it coming in at $25MM are about the same as me shooting the Hanson buck on the way home from work tonight.

Tuc
11-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I work for the COC. Trust me, Bronco and the rest of his morons know how to waste your tax dollar.
When something works, they just got to spend some money and fix it. :rolleyes:

BallCoeff.435
11-17-2009, 09:56 PM
The Cowtown hat, whether white or red, has been dead for some time.

The honorable western spirit and disciplines that were core to the soul of the city have long since been forced underground, at best. The massive influx of yahoos of every color, and apathic consumerist suburban family types have suffocated what was once western. When you get protesters bitching about 'calf roping cruelty', and fat married people chasing up the prices of tiny chipboard houses to 600 thousand dollars, and black chicks driving leased mercedes wearing B.C. plates down 17th ave with speakers blasting some noise out of a Detroit ghetto during Stampede time, something's not quite right.

It's not only the Hindi and Cantonese which have become as prevalent as English in the city. It's also the latte-sipping, vespa riding population influx from southern Ontario and points south which have absolutely no clue what burning calf brands smell like, or have ever experienced the stench of raw oil or the heft of a set of rig tongs, or have ever seen Fording Pass from the saddle of a hot tired horse, or have ever been worried about being just a little lost when the sun is fading fast in the mountains.

What was once Western has been replaced by ripoff artists from every point of the globe, at every level of management, engineering, law, government, and even some trades. Hearing them whine about the slow traffic on the Deerfoot while they plaster huge suburbs all over the city as far as the eye can see is enough to make you sick.

Don't get started on some 25-million dollar footbridge either. That is simply using public money for personal empire-building, pure and simple. That's almost as nuts as using the public purse for building an artificial waterfall in Edmonton over the high level bridge.

You want to spend 50 grand from taxes for a footbridge? Fine. But if it's 25 mill, it better be private money for public use - then you can show have avant-garde your architects are, no problem. Last time I checked, the new Bow building downtown didn't come out of Alberta or Calgary tax money.

WayneChristie
11-17-2009, 10:05 PM
what BallCoeff.435 said X10
its not Calgary anymore, its bought and sold. The way of the west is dead and buried.

Matt L.
11-17-2009, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't go that far Wayne. The western lifestyle may dead in inner-city Calgary, but you don't have to go too far to find it.

The Fisherman Guy
11-17-2009, 11:33 PM
BallCoeff.435, I agree with much of what you have brought to this thread. But I believe this is no time to turn tail on what you believe we have lost.

I have grown up in Calgary, but only for 28 years. I have observed the changes, as well as our spirit when we hosted the 1988 winter Olympic games.

There will be many who disagree with the apparent changes to the city we call home. Voicing my opinion is one thing, doing what I can to stop the dilution of our history is what I hope will influence others to do the same.

blackpheasant
11-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Calgary needs a Mayor like old Ralph again....someone that understands and respects the tradition.....Bronc and his alderman lost that many years ago a real shame......:cry:

Matt L.
11-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Wayne's comment got me curious; does the Stampede have a ranch rodeo like Northlands does? That's the best way to show people that the cowboy lifestyle is ar from gone IMO.

Oh and btw, did you guys know that the Calgary Police Service is outfitting their beat cops with cowboy hats? So that hat isn't completely gone. Of course it is for purely practical reasons, but the cowboy hat is a perfectly practical item.

slipbobber
11-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Do you guys still yell ya hoo after the Flames score a goal? Thats kind of western.

rhuntley12
11-18-2009, 07:43 AM
I've only been here 4 years now and can agree that I don't really see Calgary as a "Cowtown" but that is the heritage. I really did like the logo and the slogan you see on the signs coming into town, shame they would spend money to have them changed.

It was surprising going to a funeral in Cochrane to see all the ranchers belt buckles and cowboy hats!

roadkill
11-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Uh, seems that Calgary's just going through the same transition to world-class city that other cities have done before. The place is getting bigger and bigger due to immigration from other parts of Canada and beyond. That's the kind of thing that changes a place. Just take a look at the Big Three: Vancouver's significantly different today than it was in the early 1990s. Toronto now would be unrecognisable to anyone who left the place in the 1950s or ’60s. Montréal's changed it's character several times: the Quiet Revolution of the 1960s was big, the descent into abject poverty of the next decade or two was different, but now that we're back in business, it's a completely different town than it used to be. To get by in all parts of this city, it'd be best to speak English, French, Cantonese, Spanish and Arabic. This kind of thing irritates some people and excite others.

And now it's happening to Calgary.

But honestly, none of it counts as much as the Starbucks or Wal-mart stores that are showing up everywhere and wiping out local businesses. If you want to *really* make a stand against the forces changing your city? Pay attention to where you shop. You need population if you want Alberta to have a real say in Parliament. What you don't need is foreign retailers killing off the mom-and-pops, and sucking your economic strength to head offices in Seattle or wherever.

NCC
11-18-2009, 09:14 AM
The Stampede doesn't have a ranch rodeo but there are several throughout the summer in the Calgary area. High River, Bar U, Sundre, Rocky, Airdrie, and Carstairs, just to name a few.

It's not just Calgary that is losing it's Western heritage, but all of Alberta. People come from all over the world to see the Stampede, yet many Albertans are afraid they'll be seen as a hick if they embrace the western heritage of our province. That's why Corb Lund sings about "Long Gone to Saskatchewan." I know several ranchers/cowboys that have already left or are heading east.

If hunters think it is tough getting permission from a rancher to hunt, try getting permission from a downtown lawyer or oil executive who bought a ranch for a family retreat. You won't even be able to determine who owns the land, let alone ask for permission.

1899b
11-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Way to go Calgary. The Alberta economy is in the toilet and you go and hire an American company to find out what would be the best "image" for your town. How laughable.:lol:

sjemac
11-18-2009, 09:55 AM
New Motto:

"We really want to be Toronto, but need to import more arseholes."

roadkill
11-18-2009, 10:05 AM
New Motto:

"We really want to be Toronto, but need to import more arseholes."

I dunno about that. You've imported tonnes, then put them behind all your customer service counters. The only place I've consistently gotten worse service was Paris.

The Fisherman Guy
11-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Do you guys still yell ya hoo after the Flames score a goal? Thats kind of western.

Thanks to fellow forum member ThatGuy being a season ticket holder, I have been to more hockey games this year, than any other year. I remarked last game how the "YAHOO!" after every goal was barely audible anymore. I remember the days of old when there was no jumbotron, and the ENTIRE dome blasted out a big yahoo with the cowboy swinging his big white hat on the old incandescent light display. Now that was Calgary spirit!

Silverado
11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
I grew up in Calgary, and lived there most of my life. I hate the city when I visit now. It has become a gentrified liberal cesspool.

doetracks
11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I grew up in Calgary, and lived there most of my life. I hate the city when I visit now. It has become a gentrified liberal cesspool.

Glad I'm not the only one. Kind of sad, really. Progress, I guess.:rolleye2:

Matt L.
11-18-2009, 05:53 PM
The Stampede doesn't have a ranch rodeo but there are several throughout the summer in the Calgary area. High River, Bar U, Sundre, Rocky, Airdrie, and Carstairs, just to name a few.

It's not just Calgary that is losing it's Western heritage, but all of Alberta. People come from all over the world to see the Stampede, yet many Albertans are afraid they'll be seen as a hick if they embrace the western heritage of our province. That's why Corb Lund sings about "Long Gone to Saskatchewan." I know several ranchers/cowboys that have already left or are heading east.

If hunters think it is tough getting permission from a rancher to hunt, try getting permission from a downtown lawyer or oil executive who bought a ranch for a family retreat. You won't even be able to determine who owns the land, let alone ask for permission.

Or west. The Chilcotin is still as cowboy as it gets. Has anyone ever been to the Heritage Ranch Rodeo? You'd be surprised to see how many people from all walks of life come to see that. The attendance has climbed every year since they put it on. The majority of the cowboys (and cowgirls) who compete are under 30. This year 16 ranches competed. If you want to see how the cowboy lifestyle is still alive and well in Alberta and the rest of western Canada, pick up a copy of Canadian Cowboy Country Magazine.

cover
11-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Ya .. what my "favorite" part is the three million dollar " ranchette" ALL OVER the place.Forty years ago the acreage owner produced somthing..chickens , a couple of beef to take to the butcher in the fall, giant garden , berry patch ect.The only thing the "ranchette" people produce is a well manicured lawn.

Unregistered user
11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Calgary tossing out the Cowboy hat makes as much sense as Chevrolet ditching its Bowtie emblem. Most cities would kill for Calgary's brand-recognition yet they wanna be like any other no-name rat-hole.

doetracks
11-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Calgary tossing out the Cowboy hat makes as much sense as Chevrolet ditching its Bowtie emblem. Most cities would kill for Calgary's brand-recognition yet they wanna be like any other no-name rat-hole.

Well said...

Redding, CA passed a motion to destroy the beautiful oaks that lined one of their main thoroughfares. In their places, they would plant date palms. PALM TREES??? :huh: What, so they could be like every other friggin California city??:huh:

Some places have special features that have MADE them, well, SPECIAL. Why do people feel the need to destroy that??

At least Calgary doesn't have to erect a hoe to have a local "feature"... a big, dirty, cracked hoe.

We have the hat :D:D

el sparko
11-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks to fellow forum member ThatGuy being a season ticket holder, I have been to more hockey games this year, than any other year. I remarked last game how the "YAHOO!" after every goal was barely audible anymore. I remember the days of old when there was no jumbotron, and the ENTIRE dome blasted out a big yahoo with the cowboy swinging his big white hat on the old incandescent light display. Now that was Calgary spirit!

well, they could all stomp their feet and jingle their spurs when the flames score.
and when the oilers score ( which is never because we ALL know kippie would never let that happen, and if it ever does iggy will slew-foot him into the boards just to learn him a thing or two.) as i was saying,, when the oilers score they should all spit their tabackey at the same time.

DarkAisling
11-21-2009, 09:35 AM
What do you think?

I think you ask some very good questions, and before I started to really think about it, I thought I would give some equally well thought out and compelling answers.

Upon reflection, however, I discovered that I don't care in the least about Calgary's logo (that ridiculous eye-sore of a bridge is a separate issue). This is probably a result of the fact that I do not consider myself a Calgarian, though I've lived here for twelve years. I consider myself a Vancouverite, but money brought me here back in '97.

I suppose it is people like me who have eroded Calgary's culture and identity. I'm sure there must be more of "us" than there are of "you" (true, native Calgarian's, or people who identify as such), and the effect is obvious. Sadly, I don't even seem to care about the loss.

Maybe I'm overly apathetic today . . . I'm usually anything but indifferent.

S.A.S
11-21-2009, 11:23 AM
I think you ask some very good questions, and before I started to really think about it, I thought I would give some equally well thought out and compelling answers.

Upon reflection, however, I discovered that I don't care in the least about Calgary's logo (that ridiculous eye-sore of a bridge is a separate issue). This is probably a result of the fact that I do not consider myself a Calgarian, though I've lived here for twelve years. I consider myself a Vancouverite, but money brought me here back in '97.

I suppose it is people like me who have eroded Calgary's culture and identity. I'm sure there must be more of "us" than there are of "you" (true, native Calgarian's, or people who identify as such), and the effect is obvious. Sadly, I don't even seem to care about the loss.

Maybe I'm overly apathetic today . . . I'm usually anything but indifferent.

Feel free to go back to BC. Calgary has its symbols and traditions and they should be respected. If people dont like Calgary's "redneck" attitude and cowboys, then by all means they can feel free to leave. Nobody worth more then 2 cents its gonna ask you to stay.

Unregistered user
11-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I agree with S.A.S. I'm not native Calgarian, lived here 30 years or so. At first I thought the cowboy thing was a bit old, but it grows on you after you have lived here a while. It would be sad for newcomers to push it away. For example, Canada's biggest city is Toronto, what is it famous for? Hogs?

DarkAisling
11-21-2009, 01:31 PM
If people dont like Calgary's "redneck" attitude and cowboys

I've always felt the term "redneck" has incredibly racist connotations.

At first I thought the cowboy thing was a bit old, but it grows on you after you have lived here a while.

I just don't see it as being anything particularly special. Canada's agricultural history does not belong to this area alone, and I don't think it can be said that it is any more special or important out here than it is anywhere else.

I'm not drawing into question the importance of agriculture, as up until my generation my family was heavily involved in agriculture (sheep ranching). I just don't get all of the fuss.

Selkirk
11-21-2009, 05:00 PM
" . . . I just don't get all of the fuss."

Most of the 'fuss' is coming from those people who can't handle, don't like, and are unable to deal with; "Change". Those people condemn themselves to living unhappy, miserable lives.

Change is happening all around us, all the time ... some good, and some not-so-good. This would be true, whether you live in a big Alberta city like Calgary, or a small Alberta village like Longview. Until someone invents a time-machine, we can't stop the march of time (or turn it back), and the changes it brings.

I too don't like some of the things that have happened in Calgary over the last 30+ years, but there have also been a lot of good changes too ... it's not 'all' bad. The one thing I would suggest to some of my fellow long-time Calgarians ... if you don't like Calgary anymore, there are lots of roads leading out of town ... the exit door is wide open :wave:

If you're looking for a parallel example of another western city that has lost it's cow-town image, look no further than Houston, Texas. Houston lost it's cow-town/western image 20+ years ago.

TF

The Fisherman Guy
11-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Nobody worth more then 2 cents its gonna ask you to stay.

On the contrary comrade, I have three cents and I would like to make five. To achieve this, a portion of my strategy is investment. Part of the reason for Calgary's real estate boom is because of everyone moving here to work.

Your head is not the only thing to be affected by inflation S.A.S.

Albertadiver
11-21-2009, 07:22 PM
On the contrary comrade, I have three cents and I would like to make five. To achieve this, a portion of my strategy is investment. Part of the reason for Calgary's real estate boom is because of everyone moving here to work.

Your head is not the only thing to be affected by inflation S.A.S.

yep, he's unique.

Calgary does offer a number of advantages. I've been here 10+ years now, and I'm mainly here because of work.