PDA

View Full Version : Sausage, Jerky and Pepperoni spices opinions needed

nicemustang
11-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi folks,

Curious to know what others think about pre mix spices. Has anyone tried Belmont, Halfords or Atlas spices? I will likely use my own main sausage (family) recipe, but wanted to make Jerky, breakfast sausage, summer sausage and pepperoni.

Has anyone had any luck or not with any of these brands? I've tried high mountain jerky, and it's OK but not great.

What is your casings of choice for the above mentioned sausage and pepperoni?

Lastly, where do you guys get your cheap pork trim? I will be doing this with deer BTW.

Thanks in advance.

kodiakken
11-17-2009, 04:50 PM
I have used the Halford's and the Atlas both for Jerky and there is nothing wrong with either.

Ken.

Vindalbakken
11-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Cheap pork trim - find a farmer with pigs, pay him some money and shoot one to take home with you. You can even keep the chops and some roasts if you want. Lots of trim.

K44
11-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I believe Halford bought out Atlas. I have used Halford products and have been happy with them and the staff is quit helpful as for casings I perfer the natural casings but they are more labour intensive for fresh sausage and pepporoni use artifical casing but you have to use the right casing it you are going to be smoking . I have bought pork trimings from the local coloney in Holden but always look at what they are giving you first

theduke
11-18-2009, 11:47 AM
i tried the pre-mixed not th greatest, i mix my own now, my dad makes the sausage mix, and make the jerky mix, casing u can get that cualagen casing(spelling?), from bass pro great stuff, now if ur using wild game remeber to add beef, or pork fat, sometimes with out it the sausage can be dry

Piker
11-18-2009, 03:09 PM
I have used Halfords for years and I think they are as good as any. If you want a stronger taste just add more spice of your choice or lessen the amt of meat. I also use the edible collagen casings from them as they are strong and easy to work with and readily take smoke. Piker

nicemustang
11-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys....

So I need to find pork trim. Need almost 100 lbs. So that's my next adventure.

Unregistered user
11-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Check with CTR refrigeration for all of your supplies except meat. I use pork butt from Red Deer Lake meats to mix with wild game as called for in recipes from the better sausage making books also available at CTR.

The Fisherman Guy
11-18-2009, 04:43 PM
x2 on Red Deer Lake Meats. Terrific prices, meats and people.

deerhunter
11-18-2009, 04:51 PM
I use Halfords. Great people to deal with. Very helpful.

Unregistered user
11-19-2009, 07:53 PM
http://www.sausagemaker.com/71200greatsausagerecipesandmeatcuringbyrytekkutas. aspx This book is the bible. Don't go overboard on the pork fat, it'll kill you quick and make you burp and fart too much in the mean-time.

Unregistered user
11-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Much great reading, technique and recipes on here, yes I am biased toward Polish sausage recipes.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/index.html

sprinklerdog
11-19-2009, 08:04 PM
I buy pork shoulder roast right from the grocers and use that for mix with my sausage. I find that can be easier than trying to find fat. another option.

Geo

redranger15
11-19-2009, 08:51 PM
We would use boxes of bacon ends, just have to watch the salt.

nicemustang
11-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Much great reading, technique and recipes on here, yes I am biased toward Polish sausage recipes.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/index.html

Great website. Thanks for sharing.

6mmhunter
11-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Check with CTR refrigeration for all of your supplies except meat. I use pork butt from Red Deer Lake meats to mix with wild game as called for in recipes from the better sausage making books also available at CTR.

X2 on CTR. I make their maple breakfast sausage into 75 mm synthetic casings and then slice to make breakfast patties. It is fantastic. For pork I usually use 50% lean pork bellies and mix about 65/35 deer/pork mix.

Unregistered user
11-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Picked up a smoked ham at Superstore today, cheaper than fresh pork at that location. Will try a 50-50 Kielbasa recipe. Need some yummies for Grey Cup.