PDA

View Full Version : Wood Stove review

BEL
11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I have a 16x20 wall tent which I have used for 4 seasons now. I bought one of those Hunters model wood stoves from the Co-op the first year I used the tent. We could not really heat the tent up very well at all. Better draft helped the flames but the heat was lacking. The heating chamber is too small in my opinion. During the last 2 years I have watched the threads containing info concerning wood stoves in order to learn more about them. My buddies have used the "tin cans" (as someone called them) for years and years and suggested I buy one. You know the ones--they call them airtight. I happened to find a 24" model on sale at Peavey Mart for $119--$30 bucks off. I went for it. We spent the last week camping at Red Earth Creek in the 16x20. Wonderful heat. The best thing about it was you got really good heat within 5 minutes. You know how that feels when you have been out in the bush for hours. It may be tinny but it pumps out the heat like crazy. Controlling the burning is easy too. I love it. BEL

nicemustang
11-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Sounds good, but I don't really know the ones you speak of. I am looking for one of my own. No peavy mart near me, but could you send a pic of it?

dcutter
11-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Is this the one you got?

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt276/irwinbob/DSC04652.jpg

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt276/irwinbob/DSC04653.jpg

I will throw my thoughts on this one as well. Got mine at Peavey Mart as well, and it throws heat like nobody's business! I found I had to get it good and warmed up before I could shut the door though. I just put the latch down, and closed the door on the latch (it holds it open about 1/4 inch) for a few minutes, then closed it down. I got a good 5 hour burn out of a full stove load of un-split spruce one night. I also added another length of pipe on the top of my stack, and it made a load of difference for the better.

I was worried about the small draft hole in the front, but it turned out to be fine.

Tracker34
11-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I built one in that style. I have a mig welder and thought I would give it a try. Made the fire box 16" X 18" X 20". Works awesome. I used it last winter in a 12 X 16 wall tent. -20'C. Loaded it up with dry pine and put a couple of green, round logs in on top of it... Didn't have to stoke it again until 6 am. Great for cooking on as well.

Tracker34

BEL
11-18-2009, 11:04 PM
dcutter, that stove is the hunter model which does not put out near as much heat as the airtight. The airtight can be purchased at True Value, Co-op, Peavey Mart. It is oval in shape. I am not too handy with the computer pic stuff and I am going hunting tomorrow. I will try to convince my daughter to help me out--she has the pics on her camera. BEL

Geezle
11-19-2009, 07:54 AM
BEL, do you have something sorta like this one?

http://www.princessauto.com/farm/camping-outdoor/outdoor-heating/8282303-wood-burning-stove?keyword=wood+stove

BEL
11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
That's the one gessle. I recommend the 24" model rather than the small one advertized. Don't put the legs on as they are useless and contribute to the stove falling apart. I used bricks to prop it up 4". My buddies welded a stand. Thanks for doing that. BEL

nicemustang
11-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Ah yes. that's the one I want. Princess auto eh? I was just there and they didn't have squat.

The Fisherman Guy
11-19-2009, 03:56 PM
There is another model that Princess auto carries, that I was thinking of pickin up for my shack. It is not on the website, but it has a smaller chamber, but long legs. Small stove pipe tho, I think it's 4 inch. 129.99 last time I was there. Thicker metal, and more robust than the tin can one that I have.

One good thing about the thin metal, when you are done using it, it cools off very fast in the cold weather. Makes it handy when packing up, not having to wait for a heavy stove to cool off enough to handle it.

garf
11-19-2009, 08:52 PM
The model they have at Princess Auto now is this one. Some reviews stated it does not draft enough, due to a 3" chimney system similar to 18" long flared muffler pipe extensions that fit together. I asked the girl at PA if they had any returns, she looked it up and said they sold 15 from the West Edm store and none returned yet. I bought it last weekend for the sale price of $119 so will try it out soon to decide if worth keeping. http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/great-northern-camp-stove-3214.cfm

jet boater
11-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Used these stoves many times over the years. One tip is to put sand or sonolite in the bottom so that it doesn't burn out quickly.

Bushmaster
11-19-2009, 09:58 PM
I had nothing but bad luck trying to get the oval, tin stove from PA, so I finally bought one at the new southside Wholesale sports.....few bucks more but very happy with the transaction. I've had my old one for many years....the 2" of sand in the bottom helps it last for a long time.

BEL
11-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Another positive for me with the airtight is that it does not let as many sparks out the chimney. Two falls ago I burned a hole in my tent--from the sparks emitted from the Hunter model. Last fall I was careful with the firesand when the hunting trip was done I checked out the plastic tarp (fly). There were dozens of spark holes in the fly. This year you could not see many sparks flying out chimney and only a dozen or so holes. Much relieved, let me tell you. BEL

chimpac
11-21-2009, 11:35 PM
A baffle in a stove stops hot fly ash. With no baffle you have to use a spark arrestor on the chimney .

BEL
11-22-2009, 08:11 PM
I use a screen over the chimney to help prevent sparks. By baffle you mean a metal disc in the second pipe from the stove, correct? BEL

chimpac
11-22-2009, 10:44 PM
A baffle is used in a stove to use heat from a fire in the stove before it goes up the chimney. The baffle stops sparks because it cools the smoke and thus the spark and no screen is needed. Far to much good heat and unburned gases goes up the chimney on alot of wood stoves. The important thing is to burn slow as possible and as hot as possible in the stove before the chimney. A vertical stove like the old potbelly is best type of stove to have a baffle and keep the top part of the stove very hot.

chimpac
11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
This is the kind of baffle I use.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=44281