PDA

View Full Version : 90#

artie
11-18-2009, 09:13 AM
I received an e-mail about a scam going around.
If a telus repairman calls and asks you to press 90# and then hang up do not do it. If it's true then by pushing 90# then hanging up gives them access to your long distance account and they can charge calls to your number.

mtylerb
11-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I received an e-mail about a scam going around.
If a telus repairman calls and asks you to press 90# and then hang up do not do it. If it's true then by pushing 90# then hanging up gives them access to your long distance account and they can charge calls to your number.

No it doesn't. I used to get this question all the time, when I worked in Operator Services at Telus. This has been circulating for more than a decade. The scam targets business owners who have a PBX system for their phones. Most newer PBX's can have the option disabled, though, so it's really not an issue.

This does NOT affect the every day home user, cell phone user, etc. ONLY businesses that use a PBX system to handle their phones.

Here's a link: #-9-0 Phone Scam (http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/jailcall.asp). Yes, I realize that the pound sign has been moved, but it's the same one.