PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an outfitter/Guide

ksteed17
11-18-2009, 08:36 PM
just wondering what it takes to become an outfitter or guide, i checked out the APOS site but it was pretty confusing, if anyone can can give me some insight that would be great

surhuntsalot
11-18-2009, 09:31 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$, And Conections, And $$$$$$$$$$$$$, oh ya, Did I mention alot of money ?

elkhunter11
11-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Guides and outfitters are very different jobs,with very different requirements.It's relatively easy to become a guide with little cash outlay required.Becoming an outfitter requires allocations,which require a significant amount of money.

S.A.S
11-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Theres a school in Colorado that offers the course.

froggy
11-19-2009, 12:22 AM
i took a guide school course in smithers bc

steve
11-19-2009, 12:39 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$, And Conections, And $$$$$$$$$$$$$, oh ya, Did I mention alot of money ?

I can lease bear allocations in two prime WMU's, ones spot n stalk, ones bait, for $300 each..... Some allocations are reasonably priced.

All it takes to beacome a guide is signing the bottom of your guiding lisence provided by the outfitter.

Become a guide for the a outfitter that outfits the animals your interested in, learn how to kill them day in and out. Then think about outfitting yourself.

ovis40
11-19-2009, 12:45 AM
To start guiding I would start to contact some outfitters soon (sooner than later). If you want to guide for a larger outfit ( BC, Yukon, NWT) and don't have much experience I would look into getting a wrangling job. You will learn lots and earn a pay check while learning rather then dishing out a bunch of cash. Maybe even start guiding towards the end of the season.

Vindalbakken
11-19-2009, 12:48 AM
If your dad owns some prime hunting land that the outfitter would like exclusive access on you likely won't need a course to become a guide :)

Vindalbakken
11-19-2009, 12:50 AM
I do find it interesting that APOS is charged with the duty of setting conditions for being a guide, yet they have no reference to such a document on their website.

From the regulations:
2(1) The Alberta Professional Outfitters Society is continued as a delegated authority referred to in section 104(1)(b) of the Act.
(2) The Society is delegated the following powers, duties and functions, to be carried out in accordance with the Act, this Regulation and the objects and by-laws of the Society:
(a) the issue of outfitter-guide permits and guides’ designations;
(b) the distribution, including transfers, of allocations;
(c) the issue of non-resident alien licences authorizing the hunting of big game animals;
(d) the collection of fees for licences, permits and guides’ designations;
(e) the designation of, and the setting of the qualifications for, guides;
(f) the cancellation and suspension of licences, permits and guides’ designations, issued by the Society;

I-R-Huntin
11-19-2009, 09:00 AM
First thing you need is a huge sense of entitelment over the area that you hunt and a belief that no other hunter could be half as smart as you are!!!:evilgrin:

Elohim
11-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I was reading an article about this recently that I will try to dig up in my history, but it mentioned that to become an outfitter you must first pass an outfitters course, purchase your liscence, and take out a MINIMUM of $500,000 insurance...I will keep hunting for the website

ksteed17
11-19-2009, 05:24 PM
ok so it looks like becoming an outfitter is out :), the reason i was asking is baisically just to simplify my life. the last 2 years i have had friends from the states come up to shoot geese, i dont have to be a guide to show em around but someday maybe it will be that way, also i have uncles that live in the states and some other good friends that are wanting to come up big game hunting, and so i either have to be a hunter host or a guide as i understand it. i dont mind doing the paperwork to be a host but i can olnly host 1 person unless 1 is a relative, so when they want to bring buddies it makes it very hard to find another guy to take a week off work to help me host these guys. So baisically i was just wanting to know if there was a way for me to become a outfitter or guide to make it easier to take some friends and buddies hunting?

murphy
11-19-2009, 06:53 PM
First thing you need is a huge sense of entitelment over the area that you hunt and a belief that no other hunter could be half as smart as you are!!!:evilgrin:

:lol:

I wanted to add to this, but I don't think I can.

dubbya
11-20-2009, 08:34 PM

Yes, and a comfy pick-up truck with a bipod with a truck window/mirror mount.

hal53
11-20-2009, 08:41 PM
It`s amazing how the majority of the posts here, are from guys who`s previous posts stated Ì`m a first time hunter`etc., etc, doesn`t take long to get smart...to the original poster PM me....