PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Got a Jalapeno and Cheese Smokie/Sausage Recipe to Share?

CdnVet0506
11-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Last year we used the pre-mixed sausage kits with our venison. Although good, the kids really want Jalapeno and Cheese Smokies/Sausage this year. Anyone got a good recipe they wouldn't mind sharing???

Thanks, and have a great day!!

madatter
11-19-2009, 08:23 AM
I've looked on the net alot and found a few,tried em and just can't seem to find one I like tho.
The one thing that I can't get right is the cheese,it seems to disappear and you don't know its there.This may be because I use my grinder with the sausage attachment and it might be mixing it up too much for the cheese to stay together.I'm buying a sausage stuffer today so we will see if that helps.
Also which cheese to use?
I like the juicy type cheesy smokie and I've tried everything from mozza,cheddar,velveeta etc and again can't get it right.
Also I'm not sure using fresh jalapeno is the answer as the de-hydrated type gives the taste and zing without the hassle.
I make small 5lb batches at a time so its not so bad if things are not perfect and I really think using the press instead of the grinder will help the cheese issue.
Not home right now so I can't get ya the recipes:D but Ill see if I can find them on line again.......

bagwan
11-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Had a bunch made by Butcher in the Bus RR 225 and Hwy 14 last yr. His Hawaain are also excellent. Google for site.

curteck
11-19-2009, 08:43 AM
i read somewhere that there is a certain type of cheese and confirmed it with one of the very helpful sales staff at halfords yesterday.I wrote it down at work and will post it up when i get there

madatter
11-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Heres one I've tried thats not too bad.
I've adjusted things a bit tho and don't really like the tomato paste.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1897

Heres another that I have not tried

http://blogs.salon.com/0001444/2002/09/13.html

madatter
11-19-2009, 08:56 AM
i read somewhere that there is a certain type of cheese and confirmed it with one of the very helpful sales staff at halfords yesterday.I wrote it down at work and will post it up when i get there

So Halfords doesnt have the cheese?
Hi temp cheese? whatever that is..
I was going to stop in there today since I'm in Calgary....

curteck
11-19-2009, 09:48 AM
So Halfords doesnt have the cheese?
Hi temp cheese? whatever that is..
I was going to stop in there today since I'm in Calgary....

the lady i talked to yesterday said they carried it but that is the one in edmonton and thanks that is what she called it. I also read that you can use the actual curd type of cheese because it has more moisture in it it does not break down as much as regular high compressed cheeses.

6mmhunter
11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
I make a summer sausage with jalapeno and sharp cheddar in it. Very good. You can run the meat through the grinder but you have to remove the grinding plate so the meat won't be over ground. Hope this helps.

CdnVet0506
11-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Appreciate the responses, and thanks to those looking for recipes to post

HunterDan
11-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Here is the Trick!

Use old Cheddar, and cut it into cubes (1/4" x 1/4" at biggest for smokies).
Mild or medium cheddar will melt away.
I have made a 3 cheese, with old cheddar, swiss, and havarti, but you tend to lose the swiss a little. Havarti works okay.
Do not shed the cheese, it will just dissapear in the moisture that is in the meat, and you won't even notice it.

I use Halford's Smokie mix and then just add the cubed cheese after I mix the meat, pork and spices together. Then put it through the stuffer.
Smoked at 155 deg F, not above, or you will lose your cheese.

Turns out great.
I haven't tried adding Jalapenos, but seems like a good idea.
My wife wants me to make the Hawaiian, by making a ham sausage and adding peppers, cheese, and pinapple. Maybe this year.

Good luck.

Mhunter51
11-20-2009, 03:22 PM
HunterDan is correct. Use sharp or most companies call it 'old' cheese. You do have to cut it in little squares as Dan said. The one we found to be the LEAST likly to melt is either Schneiders or Maple Leaf Old. If you add it after you mix the water, binder and spices and just before stuffing it may not break up so bad thus leaving whole pieces in the sausage.

madatter
11-22-2009, 08:47 AM
But does it just give you a gob a cheese or a juicy area.
The place in the Hat (Mikes Meats) are the best jal and cheese smokies I've ever had and they come out juicy...not a gob of cheese.
I might have to go in and beg for info:cry::cry:

HunterDan
11-22-2009, 02:00 PM
The juiciness is more lickely due to percentage of pork trim/fat that is added to the sausage. Maybe it is a 50/50 deer/pork mix.
The cubed cheese does not give you a gob of cheese because you do lose some of the cheese to the surrounding meat/water, but I can't say it will make it juicier. That will be the pork.

madatter
11-22-2009, 06:16 PM
No its not the pork thats doing it.
When the smokies are cold you can see the hunk of cheese inside the casing.
When you heat it up(I usually zap them for a minute or so in the microwave for a quick snack) the cheese becomes very fluid almost like melted velveeta.....
Like I've said its sorta odd and I've tried most cheeses. and can't pin it down:mad:

omega50
08-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Just cruising old threads and saw this. I make a Pepper Cheese smokie that uses ground pickled pepper rings juice and all. Cheese is hand cut and incorporated by hand just before stuffing approx 32mm casing.Regrinding will destroy the result so use proper stuffer.Then it is cold smoked 24 hours then cooked in 160F water untill internal of 152F. Ice bath to stop the cooking and then air dry to bloom back the smoky colour. Sliced cold you can see the cheese cubes, but juice running down your chin if hot.
The drop point of fat in sausage is 180F and if you ever allow the sausage to get that hot internally it loses it ability to hold the fat in suspension and will be dry. Cheese smokies are even more susceptible and must be cooked in a narrow range of controlled conditions to get amazing results.
PM me if you want the recipe

Piker
08-11-2010, 10:16 AM
I have used hi-temp cheese with great results but is kinda hard to gethere. I have some mac and cheese loafs in the smoker now using low fat chedar and will post how it turns oput. Thks Piker

Piker
08-13-2010, 08:35 AM
If anyone interested the low fat worked out not to bad. I shredded 1/2 of it and cubed the other half. The shredded half pretty well melted and the other stayed intact, the taste is still noticable and they turned out pretty good. Thks Piker

The Elkster
08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Monterey Jack is a better cheese for sausage. Be careful how big you make the chunks. I left some big stuff in my last sausage and owww can that stuff burn. Not fun taking a big bite and getting a squirt of hot cheese on your cheek :( Good stuff though and I find the jalepeno helps to cut the gamey flavor better than anything else I've tried. I've generally just used the premix and added a few extra's.