PDA

View Full Version : Tree stand saftey harness

Rustynuts
11-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Wanting to buy my son (11yrs old) a saftey harness for christmas. Just woundering if I should just get an adult harness. He is fairly tall but still under a 100lbs. Do they adjust down that small? I always have been hunting on the ground so no idea how they fit. When we go for bears in the spring he wants to be in a tree not on the ground.:rolleyes:

Okotokian
11-19-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd look at an adult one... one thing to remember that they don't seem to consider down in the US.... up here if you are sitting in a stand in November you will very likely be wearing a thick winter coat, etc. This ain't Georgia. I just bought a stand that came with a harness. I'm 6'3", 220 lbs and with my jacket on I can JUST barely get the harness done up, and it's a real ordeal. Has me thinking about trying to buy an x-tra large one if I can find it.

As long as you can get the harness done up snugly it should be OK. Perhaps a ladies one?

Rustynuts
11-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Good point, I forgot they usually have weird sizes in the states. Thanks.

RayL42
11-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I use an adjustable rock climbing harness I bought when I was 14. fifty pounds heavier and with winter close on it still fits.

Okotokian
11-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Good idea, as long as it's a full body. I've done a fair bit of climbing and found that climbing harnesses I've had seem way more comfortable than the one I got with my treestand... but mind you, I paid more for my climbing harnesses in the past thatn I did my whole treestand and harness combo.

Go on down to Mountain Equipment Co-op and tell them you want to pick up a climbing harness to use for hunting! :lol::lol::lol:

ontario gunner
11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I use a full body harness.. I never have trouble with winter clothes.. I put it on underneath my bibs and coat and run the safety line out from my neck collar.. I always thought it was a pain when you tried to get something out of your pockets with the harness on over your outer shell of clothing.

Okotokian
11-19-2009, 03:11 PM
I use a full body harness.. I never have trouble with winter clothes.. I put it on underneath my bibs and coat and run the safety line out from my neck collar.. I always thought it was a pain when you tried to get something out of your pockets with the harness on over your outer shell of clothing.

I never thought of that.... hmmmm. on the other hand, you have to either take your coat off to get the harness off or keep the whole thing on when you decide to go still hunt. But something to think about....

ungodly
11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
What kind of price range are you looking at?

garf
11-19-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't know what types you guys are looking for, but aside from Sporting Goods stores Acklands Industrial also carries many different styles and prices of safety harnesses and lanyards. Just give them a business name to get a discount from the MSRP.

Rustynuts
11-19-2009, 09:08 PM
What kind of price range are you looking at?

Can't put a price on saftey when it comes to my kids so what ever works best for him.

ontario gunner
11-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I used too fish next to the guy that designed this when I lived in ontario.. it is the best safety system on the market as far as im concened... it is not cheap though!

http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/

BigRackLover
11-19-2009, 10:18 PM
I used too fish next to the guy that designed this when I lived in ontario.. it is the best safety system on the market as far as im concened... it is not cheap though!

http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/

It's very good. Very heavy, but good. Both my young cousins (20 yr old) have them and like them. I would just get a full body harness ... adjustable for winter clothes and as he grows.