PDA

View Full Version : Pine Coulee / Chain Lakes Res ice free???

SuCraM
11-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Hey guys I am planning one last open water trip this weekend and want to catch fish. Anyone know if PCR or Chain Lakes Res is still ice free? Or recommend anywhere else that is and within an hour and a half drive.

slingshotz
11-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey guys I am planning one last open water trip this weekend and want to catch fish. Anyone know if PCR or Chain Lakes Res is still ice free? Or recommend anywhere else that is and within an hour and a half drive.

Not a hint of ice at PCR last weekend and this week hasn't really been that cold. Plus with all the wind I'd say PCR is a pretty safe bet. Not sure about Chain but I'd assume it's very similar to PCR.

muley300
11-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Chain is still open for the most part.

SuCraM
11-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Just thought I would let you all know we are at PCR and we have caught about ten fish in a few hours mixture of walleye and burbot. Not a hint of ice and good day so far. Will post pics later.

SuCraM
11-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey all was an awesome day at PCR. Went with my buddy and we caught around 30 fish. About 15 walleye all thrown back, about 13 burbot kept 8 for dinner and had a decent pike on but bit me off right as I was reeling it in. Excellent day and no ice at all yet so if the temps are still good for a while you should check it out. Here are some pics from the trip. Hope you all enjoy and tight lineshttp://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=93813&id=608082820&l=c2b7e273c1

WayneChristie
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Thats a lot of burbs!!! Wish Id driven down there today, hopefully the weather will hold up til next weekend! Did you use pickerel rigs and minnows?

SuCraM
11-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Thats a lot of burbs!!! Wish Id driven down there today, hopefully the weather will hold up til next weekend! Did you use pickerel rigs and minnows?
No we used a combo of slip bobber and jig and lindy rig. The walleye were biting on both minnows and smelts and the burbot were bitting on smelts. Hope the weather holds up for you for next weekend. The bite was best from 9am to 11 then from 1pm to 2pm. Then it died off about 3pm. Hope that helps you.

fourty12
11-22-2009, 11:24 PM
SuCraM: What type of fish is this?:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2280143&id=608082820&l=c2b7e273c1

WayneChristie
11-23-2009, 07:09 AM
SuCraM: What type of fish is this?:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2280143&id=608082820&l=c2b7e273c1

Sucker
and thanks for the info. enjoy the burbs!

jrs
11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
For guys heading to PCR for burbot and planning to fill the freezer remember they have a relatively short freezer life. Where whitefish and trout can be reasonably frozen for 8-12 months with little change in texture burbot changes, and not for the better. I'm fairly picky when eating fish and find burbot starts to get dry/chewy after 2-3 months in the freezer. Normally mine doesn't last that long but i had to choke down a packet yesterday that migrated to the bottom of the freezer and well, very disappointing like all burbot that sits in the freezer too long. If you don't mind the chewy/dry sort of texture it gets you don't have to worry but i thought i'd mention the texture thing for guys new to burbot fishing a lake where 10 can be kept. The freezer thing is one of the reasons you don't see burbot for sale at grocery stores and why most of the commercial catch is sold fresh. I know this has been discussed in the past but always lots of new members so thought i'd mention in once again.

Good fishing everybody.

slingshotz
11-25-2009, 12:19 AM
None of the burb fillets that were in my freezer were ever chewy but I do vacumn seal everything that goes into the freezer quite well. But I rarely have burb fillets in the freezer that long anyways as they are so tasty! I think I might have eaten one pack this summer that got buried in the freezer for 8 months but tasted fine.

If you can't ice glaze fish or vacumn seal them well, no fish really keeps well over 6 months.

fourty12
11-26-2009, 03:38 PM
How are you guys catching burbs from the shore at PCR? I am snagging weeds. Anyone know if the ice has started yet? Thinking about trying for some tomorrow if its still open and if someone cares to share a tip or 2 about burbot shore fishing! Thanks.

SuCraM
11-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Read my post above man that will get you on some. Get your jig / hook about 6 inches off bottom and leave it there and hang on. Best spot from shore is right at the boat launch and to the right. Hope that helps and tight lines.

npauls
11-26-2009, 05:26 PM
If pcr is still ice free on saturday I should be out there in my little 16.5 foot single console alumacraft. If you notice that I am by myself just say hi. Wouldn't mind a partner or 2 out there if I am heading out alone. Just looke for a red and cream colored being towed by a black mazda b4000 with a younger guy in it wearing a green and black ice fishing suit.

Nate

WayneChristie
11-26-2009, 05:40 PM
thinking I may head out that way myself saturday. I will wave if I see you.

npauls
11-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Hey wayne if you are heading out alone you are more then welcome to hop on the boat. I may have my sisters boyfriend with me but I have 3 seats in the boat and 4 life jackets. I am thinking most of the time we will just be jigging unless the bite is off then we mite get the trolling motor going for a bit. I also want to try my sink tip line on my fly rod and see how I make out.

Nate

WayneChristie
11-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks Nate, looking at the forecast, I may wait til Sunday, its supposed to be a lot warmer. just offshore and to the right of the launch is a really good spot, thats where I caught the better part of 200 eyes this summer off the dock. Some huge pike around there too, hang onto your rod tight :D

Sir Landsalot
11-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow! That's a lot o' Lota Lota SuCraM, should make for some mighty fine eating!!:)

mooseknuckle
11-27-2009, 09:49 PM
ahhhh too bad looks like the burbs wern'e biting.:ashamed:

npauls
11-28-2009, 02:02 AM
Hey wayne if im in the boat I head across from the boat launch to the dam right across the lake where there is a point an usually anchor up and vertical jig with minnows or smellts. Have done very well for myself over there and seems to be nice and quiet over there. Like I said before, if anyone is out there and would like to hop in the boat I have 4 life jackets on board. I may be out there on sunday as well depending on weather.

Nate

fourty12
11-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Didn't make it out to PCR yesterday. When I got all geared up to go, I looked outside and quickly changed my mind. I was disappointed to say the least. Either hurry up and freeze or stay nice out but everything in between sucks!

SuCraM
11-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks Nate, looking at the forecast, I may wait til Sunday, its supposed to be a lot warmer. just offshore and to the right of the launch is a really good spot, thats where I caught the better part of 200 eyes this summer off the dock. Some huge pike around there too, hang onto your rod tight :D

No doubt I had a nice pike on last weekend but broke me off on my 8 pound test. Next time I will bring my pike rod with 20 pound test on it. There are some 20 pound plus pike lurking around the boat launch feeding on Walleye and Burbot I have seen a couple swim by while fishing for Walleye and a couple of buddies have hooked a couple up but have not landed them. I will be hitting the hard water there this winter and targeting them.

npauls
11-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Didn't make it out there today. Got up this morning and was told by the wife that her company christmas party is tonight and I have to be ready to go by 5. so I put the trip out to pcr on hold until tommorow if the weather is decent. offer still stands. Anyone that is out there fishing from shore that would like to try it out on the boat I am more then willing to let you have a seat on my boat. Hopefully the walleye are still biting like they were earlier this year.

Nate

WayneChristie
11-28-2009, 05:31 PM
pretty cold down this way today, but Im thinking I may fish my way down that direction tomorrow. Check out Enchant, Little Bow, Travers and Twin Valley on the way to PCR if I make it that far.