PDA

View Full Version : what camera to purchase

sharpstick
11-21-2009, 09:25 PM
I know there are many of you that know your cameras and I am looking for some advice as I'm as far from a camera expert as you can get. we have had a couple of the palm sized digitals (samsung and now a canon power shot SD960 IS). one of our biggest complaints have been shutter speed. I hate holding a button half way down, waiting for a light and then finally getting the shot which in most cases is too late. I'm ready to finally get a good camera that you can attach different lenses etc. I have no idea even where to begin. My budget is $600 - $1000, that includes everything. will this get me into a great camera. it will be used for both indoor and outdoor photography. Thanks for your opinions in advance.

SS

ksteed17
11-21-2009, 09:51 PM
check out photoloon.com we just bought the canon rebel XSi and it has everything we need, if you want to upgrade a little look at the canon rebel t1i

MWD 800
11-21-2009, 11:18 PM
check out photoloon.com we just bought the canon rebel XSi and it has everything we need, if you want to upgrade a little look at the canon rebel t1i

I have been looking alot too and I have found some good deals on the Rebel-type cameras on Ebay. I haven't commited to one as of yet but I sure am looking. I currently have an olympus waterproof dealy which is a point and click and I saw 2 nice does the other day and took what I thought were nice pics.... JUNK. I can't wait for a "good" camera.
Good luck
Joe

Ruger1022
11-21-2009, 11:53 PM
I have owned a Canon Rebel XTI since day one, love it. The XSi is a step up from mine with image stabilization..thumbs up. The only down fall of owning this camera is that its alot of camera to carry around. I have a Olympus Stylus 1030 shock-proof, water-proof and freeze-proof for when I can't carry my Rebel gear.

TheClash
11-22-2009, 12:07 AM
bang for the buck..canon is up there......i prefer the skin tones that olympus seems to put out..as well i have not had good customer service from canon....but that is not to say they don't offer a good product.

but if i was going for a camera...i would be looking in the E class of olympus or a nikon.

Jamie
11-22-2009, 12:11 AM
I have owned a Canon Rebel XTI since day one, love it. The XSi is a step up from mine with image stabilization..thumbs up. The only down fall of owning this camera is that its alot of camera to carry around. I have a Olympus Stylus 1030 shock-proof, water-proof and freeze-proof for when I can't carry my Rebel gear.

YES YES YES.

If you want a small cam, get the Olympus.

TOUGH

Jamie

Clgy_Dave2.0
11-22-2009, 12:19 AM
with any P&S (point and shoot) you will always get that "delay" between button press and shutter action. The move up to an SLR is a huge jump. 1/3 of second from power on to the shutter release. The Canon Rebel series, whether the latest T1i or the lowly XT are all great starter cameras.
One thing to keep in mind; you'll have better pictures by spending more on your lenses than on your body. What I mean is, you can spend $1200 on a Canon 50D body,but if you put a $129 Tamron lens on it you wont have NEAR the quality as with a $500 XT body and a Canon "L" (their professional level lenses) series lens.
So get yourself a decent body and spend more money on the lenses and the flash. If you're going to do a lot of indoor photography get a good flash (Canon EX430 is a good one) and a "fast" lens. An F1.8 lens, and you'll hardly need a flash. An external flash is a must if you're shooting, say, a wedding. Any on-board flash will only reach 15 feet, and its very "harsh".
I got this set up for just over $1,000 off ebay:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/Dave_n_Heather/Misc%20Pics/PICT5490.jpg

and that'll get you pictures like this:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/White%20Swan%20Lake/IMG_8030copy-1.jpg

and this:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Skyline%20Nation/skyline08320.jpg

For an "every day" walk-around lens I have a Canon EFS 17-85 IS (image stabalization)lens: http://www.canon.ca/product_images/EFS_17_85_240x240.gif

My gear:

Canon Rebel XT
Canon F4.0L 70-200 zoom
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EX430 Flash
Hoya Polarization filter
next purchase: manfroto tripod: +/- $300

Ruger1022
11-22-2009, 12:54 AM
with any P&S (point and shoot) you will always get that "delay" between button press and shutter action. The move up to an SLR is a huge jump. 1/3 of second from power on to the shutter release. The Canon Rebel series, whether the latest T1i or the lowly XT are all great starter cameras.
One thing to keep in mind; you'll have better pictures by spending more on your lenses than on your body. What I mean is, you can spend $1200 on a Canon 50D body,but if you put a $129 Tamron lens on it you wont have NEAR the quality as with a $500 XT body and a Canon "L" (their professional level lenses) series lens.
So get yourself a decent body and spend more money on the lenses and the flash. If you're going to do a lot of indoor photography get a good flash (Canon EX430 is a good one) and a "fast" lens. An F1.8 lens, and you'll hardly need a flash. An external flash is a must if you're shooting, say, a wedding. Any on-board flash will only reach 15 feet, and its very "harsh".
I got this set up for just over $1,000 off ebay:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h313/Dave_n_Heather/Misc%20Pics/PICT5490.jpg

and that'll get you pictures like this:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/White%20Swan%20Lake/IMG_8030copy-1.jpg

and this:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Skyline%20Nation/skyline08320.jpg

For an "every day" walk-around lens I have a Canon EFS 17-85 IS (image stabalization)lens: http://www.canon.ca/product_images/EFS_17_85_240x240.gif

My gear:

Canon Rebel XT
Canon F4.0L 70-200 zoom
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EX430 Flash
Hoya Polarization filter
next purchase: manfroto tripod: +/- $300

Ill play you with our camera gear as the pot....;)

BigBuck$
11-22-2009, 01:09 AM
Check out www.kenrockwell.com

Somebody pointed me towards that site a couple of years ago when I was a rookie at SLR's. Lots of info on there for someone just starting out. He is a big Nikon fan and pushes hard for amazon etc but it is a good site to get some info to get you started.

I went with the 40d Canon myself. I bought the body and a 55 x 135 lense right off the hop. Since then I have added a 100 - 300, 70 - 500, and 10 - 22wide angle. A few filters, flash difusers, teleconverters etc. have been added along the way.

Beware it is a very addicting hobbie. Good luck :wave:

HunterDan
11-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Probably the best deal you are gonna find is at Costco.
We bought a Canon Rebel, came with 2 lenses, and a printer for $1000. Camera and 1 lense any were else we looked was closer to $1500.
And Costco has a great return policy.

martinbns
11-22-2009, 09:18 AM
I have a pentax K100 with two lenses, bought it a few years ago and like it very much. My lenses are 18x55 and 75x300, if I was doing it over again I would look for an 18x200 lense and be doen with it.

Nikon makes one that fits the D40(or whatever the current one is), the lense only works on that body though as the anti-shake feature is part of the lense rather than part of the camnera body like it is on my Pentax.

Clgy_Dave2.0
11-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Ill play you with our camera gear as the pot....;) lol...uhhhhhhhhh no! kthxbye ;)

Beware it is a very addicting hobbie. Good luck :wave: SO correct!! AND expensive!!

Probably the best deal you are gonna find is at Costco.
We bought a Canon Rebel, came with 2 lenses, and a printer for $1000. Camera and 1 lense any were else we looked was closer to $1500.
And Costco has a great return policy.

Costco is great...but their packages are only 10 bucks cheaper than the same at Vistek (http://vistek.ca/store/DigitalSLRs/236184/canon-eos-digital-rebel-xsi-wefs-1855-kit-55250-islens.aspx) or "The Camera Store" (http://www.thecamerastore.com/products/cameras/digital-cameras/digital-slr-cameras/canon-eos-rebel-xsi-18-55mm-55-250mm-kit). In fact the Rebel Xsi kit is cheaper at TCS...(click on that link) except for the printer...which is a cheap printer that you can get for under $100. But the support and personal help you'll get with choosing a camera,lenses and gear at either of those two places is WELL worth the few bucks you might save. Costco will have a gum-snapping-mouth-breathing teenager who will offer to "take it back and return your money", but little to no knowledge of your gear and how to help you.

If you want to get into photography, even a little bit, and get the MOST out of your DSLR pick up THESE (http://www.amazon.ca/Scott-Kelbys-Digital-Photography-Volumes/dp/0321604032/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232210991&sr=8-2) two little books. EXCELLENT info for beginners. He doesn't use too technical terms and even gets into small tips the pro's use. Well worth the money.

As for Canon vs Nikon vs Pentax etc etc. It's like Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge. Pretty much all personal opinion. One thing to note about Canons though: you can put a Nikon lens onto a Canon...you can't put a Canon lens onto a Nikon body. So a Canon body is gonna give you a few more lens options.

I suggest THIS (http://vistek.ca/store/DigitalSLRs/233535/canon-eos-1ds-mark-iii-body.aspx) body, paired with THIS (http://vistek.ca/store/CameraLenses/164695/canon-ef-600mm-f40l-usm-super-telephoto-lens.aspx) Lens....a great little package for shooting those trophy bucks!! ;)

owlhoot
11-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Im a fan of Pentax, Currently using a Pentax K100, I like the fact that the anti shake is in the camera itself making the lenses cheaper to buy

sprinklerdog
11-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I have spent the better part of 6 months looking at all kinds of different cameras and packages. One thing that is really important is to be truthful about what you are going to shoot. My two big categories are lots of low light evening / night shots and fast action shots of my kids skiing. The canon rebel series and the nikon d60 and d5000 are really great packages at good prices. Don't get caught up in the packages where you get 2 lenses because it sounds like a really good deal to get 2 lenses. You're better off to get 1 good lens that will cover most of the 2 lens range. So instead of getting an 18-55 and a 55-250 get a good 18-200 and it will cover most your needs without having to worry about changing lenses. Also, go to a camera store and actually hold the camera and take some pictures with it. You will get a real good idea of how it feels and what you are comfortable with. Watch for prices and do some price match inquiries and ask for the freebies such as a bag or a few cheap filters etc. I was quite surprised what London Drugs would do for me and how they researched prices and called me back with their best deal.

Geo

harv3589
11-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Make your choice then on what each has company has to offer you in lenses, and which you think you will need/use. They dont all offer the same lenses just remember. Don't buy into a brand because of the body, they come and go all the time but the lenses don't change out hardly all ever.

I started with Pentax and they are great but they did not offer what i needee/wanted in the lense area so I switched to Canon and love it. If i knew what I just told you above it would have saved me a tonne of money that I lost doing the switch.

winged1
11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
anyone shoot the Rebel T1i . I'm getting close to a purchase and wanted any feedback on thier late offering.

Clgy_Dave2.0
11-24-2009, 12:05 AM
anyone shoot the Rebel T1i . I'm getting close to a purchase and wanted any feedback on thier late offering.

Probably the best unbiased review site:

Rebel T1i (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS500D/)

Conclusion - Pros

* Good resolution and detailed output (but only very marginally better than 450D)
* Decent (but not 'best in class') high ISO JPEG performance
* Extended ISO speed up to 12800 (not great quality but it's there for emergencies)
* Good quality HD video (but sound output does not match the image quality)
* Currently the cheapest 1080P video capable DSLR (albeit only at 20fps)
* Overall snappy and responsive performance
* Very clear, high resolution 3.0 inch screen with anti-reflection coating (but still hardly usable in sunny conditions)
* Brightest and largest viewfinder in class
* Good number of external controls provide quick access to all important shooting parameters and the interactive quick control panel is a good alternative for those who prefer the compact camera style of controls
* Intuitive menu system and customizable 'My Menu'
* Good control over High ISO NR
* Fairly efficient Highlight Tone Priority features preserves some additional highlight detail
* Reliable flash exposure
* Peripheral illumination correction
* Optional battery grip
* HDMI output
* Comprehensive software package included
* Good battery life

Conclusion - Cons

* Visibly more noise in RAW files than some of the competition
* Slightly less highlight range in JPGs than the competition
* Relatively limited RAW headroom, channel clipping means color accuracy can often not be maintained when recovering clipped areas in RAW conversion
* Metering has occasional tendencies to overexpose in very bright, contrasty conditions
* Unreliable auto white balance and presets under artificial light
* Still slightly plasticy appearance and surfaces
* Grip is a little small for larger hands
* Flash has to be raised for AF assist (although AF is good even in low light)
* Limited exposure compensation range (+/- 2.0 EV)
* Contrast detect AF so slow it's useless for most types of photography (it's the same for most of the competition though)
* Slightly more expensive than the competition

sharpstick
11-24-2009, 10:50 AM
thanks for all the advice everyone. Lots to check out and think about.

SS

Waxy
11-24-2009, 10:56 AM
YES YES YES.

If you want a small cam, get the Olympus.

TOUGH

Jamie

The Olympus is tough, but it takes terrible pictures. I hate mine. That was a lot of cash for a camera that takes pictures that are comparable in quality to a Kodak disposable, at best. After sending it back to Olympus twice and being told everything is fine, that's how I tend to use it too, as a disposable. It gets tossed in the boat, hunting, dirt biking, etc..., because I'm not too concerned about wrecking it.

I've got a Nikon D90 that I'm really happy with, but it's just too much to carry around all the time, and not real convenient for those spur of the moment shots, generally of kids around the house or yard.

Finding a good point and shoot, one that actually takes crisp, focused pictures without the long time delay, is really challenging. I've since tried a Fuji, a couple of Canons (the best so far), and I plan on trying the latest Panasonics and maybe a Sony, because the old Sony DSCW1 that I had years ago was still the best point and shoot camera I've owned. The Olympus has left a bad taste in my mouth, so I want to be sure this time before I settle on one again..

Waxy

Clgy_Dave2.0
11-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Don't get caught up in the packages where you get 2 lenses because it sounds like a really good deal to get 2 lenses.

While the above is a good point to keep in mind...

This:
...You're better off to get 1 good lens that will cover most of the 2 lens range. So instead of getting an 18-55 and a 55-250 get a good 18-200
...is not entirely true. You won't get a high-end lens with that much of a range (well except one, around $3,000). Getting a lens with that much range will give you an "AVERAGE" lens, and poorer quality especially in both ends of extreme focal points. That's why you won't see any lenses in the "L" series with this large of a range. If a person just wants zoom versatility, stick with a point & shoot...with many of them having a range of a "wide-angle" all the way up to "400 mm" equivalency (20x zoom) and more.
If you want true "tack sharp" images, you will need more than one lens.

Vindalbakken
11-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Waxy, have you tried the Canon G series? I think they are on G10. I have a G7, had a G5 and a couple of friends have the G6 and G9. Very pleased all around for a point and shoot.

dodger
11-25-2009, 06:04 AM
I bought a Nikon D60 for the wife with the AF-S lens. We are real rookies as far as photography is concerned but our first trip out for some photos has been amazing with this camera. She was able to zoom in on a flock of Geese coming in for a landing on the water and she just held down the release and all I could here was rapid fire clicking. The pictures were great, you could see individual feathers lifting from the wings when they were touching down and the droplets of water spraying upward in real detail. Lastly she zoomed in on a couple of Geese about 50 yards out and was able to capture the foggy breath coming from there nostrils, a truly spectacular picture as far as we were concerned for our first try at this. The addiction is really starting to take hold on both of us.

My $0.02 worth.
Dodger.

Waxy
11-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Waxy, have you tried the Canon G series? I think they are on G10. I have a G7, had a G5 and a couple of friends have the G6 and G9. Very pleased all around for a point and shoot.

Funny story, well not really, kinda painful actually, that's the specific camera I went to buy the day I bought the Olympus. I'd never heard of the Olympus, but I let the sales guy (at a computer store nonetheless, DOH) talk me out of the Canon and went home with one.

I might take another look at the G10, but IIRC, it's a little on the pricey side, and I've got WAY too much money lying around my house in cameras as it is. :( :D

Waxy