PDA

View Full Version : Dog Owners, Need your help please

Albertadiver
11-22-2009, 10:38 PM
So here's the deal. We have a foster puppy from Pawsitive Match. The folks have been great, and little Diesel has been with us for a little over 3 weeks. He was rescued from a reserve living in an abandoned house with no human interaction.

Here's a background thread for information.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=43454

So we haven't had tests confirmed, but everything leads us to him having distemper. Test results should be back tomorrow.

He has calloused paw pads, dry nose (which is getting better), and he had a cough which we treated with antibiotics. The cough is totally gone. He was not gaining weight, so we gave him some different food, and he's been growing like a weed.

The only issue is that he started with a bit of a twitch in one front paw. Then his leg started twitching, and then depending on how he lays, both front legs twitch. This is a classic sign of the neurological phase of distemper.

Everything I've read, says that he could get worse rapidly (seizures and death possibly), or he could stay the same, or he could get better. This is dependant on the dog and his immune system. With the distemper virus, it could regress and come back in a few years or never come back at all. In other words, a bit of a crapshoot.

Last night was a bad night, the twitching really wouldn't let him sleep. He cried most of the night. Today he was twitching some again, and a little whiney, but tonight so far seems to be much better.

We just got a call from the vet, and she reccomended putting him down. All of his other 8 litter mates have been put down already.

He is a happy sweet dog, who is currently having a blast playing fetch with my wife. He doesn't know he is sick. The twitches come only when he is resting or trying to go to sleep. They are strong, more than just a little tick, but they do go away when he's active. He slept on my lap for about an hour with no problems at all. His temperment is amazing, probably the best puppy we could have imagined. He loves to play, is affectionate, and isn't too needy. He listens and has already learned sit and lay down. Working on Come and shake a paw. He's 10 weeks. He can't help lifting his back leg in submission whenever you rub his belly.

I think that if he was constantly suffering, we'd put him down for his benefit. There would be no quality of life. But so far, he's had an annoying twitch for a few days, and had a bad night last night. We're going to go to a vet to get a second opinion at our own cost. (In no way are we thinking anything negative towards the foster group. They've been fantastic)

Up until the vet told me today that they reccomend putting him down did I realize how important this little guy is to me. I don't want to admit how attached I am to him.

We're at a bit of a loss here, and have done a ton of research on distemper. Treatment, etc. Does anyone know of anything we can do to help relax his muscles so he can rest better? Then perhaps he can help fight this thing if he's more well rested.

Well.. any thoughts or advice is appreciated guys. I know there are some very experianced dog owners on the site here, so we're at the mercy of professionals and experiance owners.

If we can get him healthy, we will be his permanent home.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_5173Large.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_5126Large.jpg

Dakota369
11-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Really tough call. Give it a few weeks,maybe amonth and keep him away from any other dogs as he may spread it. If he comes out of it great, if not ......... well do you really thnk you will be more attatched to him then then you already are, I doubt it.Gt the advice of a few different vets. just call around and talk to some different ones as they will usually give out free advise, or at least a recommendation. Make sure you are honest and upfront when you do it.

Good luck.:(

Kingfisher
11-23-2009, 12:43 AM
We just got a call from the vet, and she reccomended putting him down. All of his other 8 litter mates have been put down already.

Come on do you really have to ask any more questions? Or are you just falling for the little guy and you don't now have the heart to do the "right" thing?

You know it's right and you probably didn't want to hear it from the vet. I suspect you won't want to hear it from us either.

It's truely a tough call. But you knew the answer before you asked the question. Sorry but I agree with the vet.

Just so you know I am not a dog hater. I have owned dogs all my life and know how much they enrich our lives. A home without a dog is just a house.

Rob

duckdawgs
11-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Conventional medicine can't really do much for distemper. However I know of several dogs that made miraculous recoveries thanks to homeopathic treatment.

I would suggest contacting Dr Vockeroth at Marda Loop Veterinary Centre http://www.mardaloopvet.com/ I think she is your best bet in the city to get this guy fixed!

Sporty
11-23-2009, 07:33 AM
What a tough call, you're first foster pup, getting attached and facing a decision like this. Only you and yours can make the right decision for this puppy, I wish you luck and I hope whatever the out come doesn't turn you off of future fostering.

fishing_flower
11-23-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm so sorry, I was hoping he would be ok because you got him away from the other pups so soon.:cry::cry:

bsnyder
11-23-2009, 07:49 AM
:( So sorry about your PUP .We LUV our Dogs and dread the day when we have to make that decition.Try calling Trailrunners in BigRiver , very experianced dog people , they are christians and would tell you the truth on what to do and what to expect.Have lots of homegrown remidies that may help , so sad :cry:

theycallmeNoah
11-23-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm sorry but I have no advice other than to trust your vet and your instincts. I think you already know what you have to do but you're not ready to face it.

I've had to put down a young dog and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Although my heart was breaking, I knew in my very soul that I had to do it for her.

We're in the process of making some choices regarding our 8 y/o Brittany. Trust me, I know your pain :cry:

Albertadiver
11-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Come on do you really have to ask any more questions? Or are you just falling for the little guy and you don't now have the heart to do the "right" thing? Rob

Actually Rob, yesterday was a pretty crappy day. I was surprised that I'm attached to the little guy. Nonetheless I'm not going to keep an animal alive if he's sufferring just because myself or my wife doesn't have the heart to do the right thing.

The main problem is that aside from this leg twitch he's a happy and healthy puppy. So my dilemma is that I have a vet saying to bring it in and have it put down. If he were having seizures and suffering, then it woudl be a very quick, easy, decision. The tough part is that the puppy isn't really suffering, aside from discomfort at night. At the present, I wouldn't call the discomfort severe.

We had thought that he'd be ok as he was removed from his littermates a little over three weeks ago. There was a chance we got to him before it had spread. Apparantley we were too late.

Really tough call. Give it a few weeks,maybe amonth and keep him away from any other dogs as he may spread it. If he comes out of it great, if not ......... well do you really thnk you will be more attatched to him then then you already are, I doubt it.Gt the advice of a few different vets. just call around and talk to some different ones as they will usually give out free advise, or at least a recommendation. Make sure you are honest and upfront when you do it.

Good luck.:(

We have been keeping him away from dog parks and other dogs for that reason. Last night was much better than the night before, so who knows.

We're going to get a second opinion from another vet or two as well. If he's going to have these issues for the rest of his life, then despite him being otherwise healthy we may have to put him down.

Since he's not 'ours' and is a foster dog, we may not have too much say in the matter anyhow.

rhuntley12
11-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Wow that is really rough thing to go through, especially your first foster. I'm really sorry to hear that, there is nothing worse then having a sick dog.

We had to have one of ours put down a couple years ago and while I only knew the dog for a couple years(better half had him for 10) it was really tough. I think the dog let her know when the time was right.

Albertadiver
11-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah... it's too early to say if we want to do the fostering thing anymore. They come from high risk locations, so I guess stuff like this is to be expected.

What makes it tough with this case is that it's not black and white. With Distemper it appears you can get sick and die, get sick and get better, or get sick and partially recover. None of which can be treated as far as I know other than for secondary issues like the coughing which we treated with antibiotics. It's all up to the dog and how strong he is.

The emotional aspect of it is interesting to say the least. We had started with the fostering because we weren't sure if we could handle the responsibility of having a dog, and I was worried about costs etc.

Well, in the last three weeks it's confirmed we want a dog, but if we put Diesel down, it will be tough to find another one like him.

doetracks
11-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Diver -

Best wishes for you two in the choice you'll have to make. I hope that there's a vet out there that can give you some hope. I don't know anything about distemper.

BUT, I *did* want to say this: I doubt you "won't find another like him", as you you said.. there are more dogs out there than you can shake a stick at and you have a 100% chance of finding another companion that fits into your home.

I envy and sympathize with you both. Envy because I can't have a dog, and sympathize with your situation.

Best of luck.. there's another Diesel out there waiting for you (should it come to that).:)

sheephunter
11-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey Diver, I might be worth getting a second opinion. Your vet is likely right but at least by getting a second opinion it will ease your conscience somewhat and who knows. I know a couple dogs that have made it through distemper without significant neurological signs but the cost of treatment can be very high and the prognosis is not good. Maybe get a referal to another vet just to see what their thoughts are.

fishing_flower
11-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah... it's too early to say if we want to do the fostering thing anymore. They come from high risk locations, so I guess stuff like this is to be expected.
Well, in the last three weeks it's confirmed we want a dog, but if we put Diesel down, it will be tough to find another one like him.

Distemper is actually not that common, even from where Diesel came from. This was just @@@@luck that those pups had it:cry: That's what I was told by someone who is in involved in rescue as well.

I honestly can't say I would or would not be able to foster again, I see you and your wife going through this and my heart goes out to you two and Diesel. And any other fosters who have had to deal with this.:cry:

Take care and keep us informed.

Albertadiver
11-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Just want to clarify that Pawsitive Match has been extremely supportive, and they've gone to a pretty high cost I think with these vet visits etc.

As I said, it's too soon to see if we want to continue with fostering, we still have this puppy's status still up in the air, but I'm sure my wife and I will still stay involved to some extent. At least with donations.

Albertadiver
11-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, we called one Vet and he reccomended putting him down as well. I have a call into the Vet mentioned in DuckDawgs post as well, however I think it's going to be three strikes you're out.

What is so frustrating is that there seems to be all sorts of dissinformation out there. The second vet we spoke to said that you can't do a blood test for Distemper, but the first vet we've been dealing with took a blood test for distemper? How does that work??

Kingfisher
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Honestly how it works is that the vets will all be happy to take whatever money your willing to dole out. The biggest problem is that the longer you have the little guy the harder the decision will be. Also the more your going to be willing to spend. It's totally an emotional rollercoaster. With our dogs over the years we've had some problems. But for the most part we've had great dogs.

You will never have a dog the same. They all have their own personality and mannerisms. We have had several dogs over the years and they are all special in their own way. Each one fills a special place in your heart. At the present time we have a female yellow lab. If you've never had a lab then that's one you should try. They are highly intelligent and very loyal. My last 2 dogs have been labs and I'm not sure if we'll ever get any other kind of dog again. They have spoiled us with their zest for life, and passion to please their owner.

Good luck with your decision. I have put dogs down before too and it's not an easy thing to do.

Rob

Albertadiver
11-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Well we spoke with several vets. I figure He's worth that at the very least.

Basically we're going to see how he does over the next few days. If he shows signs of suffering, or if he doesn't improve, then yeah, we'll have to put him down. As it is a virus, you just have to let it run it's course. He is not on any medication, so giving him time costs the foster agency nothing other than his food.

I spoke with a Vet in Cochrane, and she gave me a very rational and level headed response.

Thx for the tips via PM guys. I think my wife and I are feeling much better about things too. It felt like we weren't going to give the guy a chance before putting him down. Now at least we can sort of let Diesel decide what's best for himself. It will be sad of course, but we'll know it is the best thing for him.

As for labs, yes we love labs. My best friend has two, and you're right they're very loving. Diesel is a lab cross, and he has a lot of thier characteristics.

rhuntley12
11-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Well we spoke with several vets. I figure He's worth that at the very least.

Basically we're going to see how he does over the next few days. If he shows signs of suffering, or if he doesn't improve, then yeah, we'll have to put him down. As it is a virus, you just have to let it run it's course. He is not on any medication, so giving him time costs the foster agency nothing other than his food.

I spoke with a Vet in Cochrane, and she gave me a very rational and level headed response.

Thx for the tips via PM guys. I think my wife and I are feeling much better about things too. It felt like we weren't going to give the guy a chance before putting him down. Now at least we can sort of let Diesel decide what's best for himself. It will be sad of course, but we'll know it is the best thing for him.

As for labs, yes we love labs. My best friend has two, and you're right they're very loving. Diesel is a lab cross, and he has a lot of thier characteristics.

Really glad to hear you are going to wait things out. I think the owner usually has a better idea when it's time for the dog then a vet. It seems so many dogs are put down that don't need it.

Just realize that even if you do lose him you did your best and he had a good life and was happy with you. You'll never find the same dog but all dogs seem to find a place in your life.

Hope it all works out, looks like an amazing dog.

Albertadiver
11-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Well, here's the update.

We've only waited a few days since the intial call to bring him in for euthenasia.

I just picked up some meds from the vet to make Diesel comfortable for the next day or two, but as much as I care for him, I made an appointment to put him down tommorrow night. I haven't had the heart to tell my wife, I'll speak with her in the morning.

Even IF his symptoms slow down (they've been getting worse) he will likely have permanent health problems. It appears though that if left alone he will die a long slow frustrating death.

I don't think it's fair to Diesel to let him get to the point where he's convulsing constantly. It's also not fair to other dogs to let him stay around and spread this horrible virus.

When shelters get one case of distemper, typically the entire shelter is euthanized. So, Deisel has to take one for the team I'm afraid.

Him and I spent some quality time today and I think he kinda knows now that he's sick.

I'm glad he's been able to feel affection, as the alternative for him would have been to probably starve or freeze to death on some reserve with no human contact. He's had the best home we could give him for the last month or so, and lots of attention.

Thanks for all of the PM's about Vets guys. Sheephunters was greatly appreciated.

That holistic vet from Marda Loop wanted to charge $50.00 just to speak with me on the phone for 15 minutes!!! :tongue2: All the other vets at least gave me some free advice over the phone advice for five minutes.

Again, Pawsitive match has been extremely supportive, in no way can I say anything negative. I'd say they've gone well beyond what they needed to do and allowed my wife and I to keep Diesel for these few extra days, at extra expense to the rescue group.

sheephunter
11-24-2009, 11:30 PM
That's a tough one diver......very sorry to hear.

TreeGuy
11-24-2009, 11:34 PM
You've made the right decision, B.

Tree

Albertadiver
11-24-2009, 11:39 PM
As the saying goes SH** happens, unfortunatley my wife and I have had a challenging experiance with our first potential dog.

Just going to try to make sure Diesel has a blast tommorrow, and we'll spoil him with treats and pretty much whatever he wants all day.

Kingfisher
11-25-2009, 12:42 AM
Sorry to hear the outcome, even though it was predictable. My sincere heartfelt sympathy goes out to you and your wife.

This is never an easy decision to make. I know as I too have made that same decision in past years. You are doing the responsible thing.

Rob

rhuntley12
11-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Sorry to hear, pretty heartbreaking.

theycallmeNoah
11-25-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm so sorry :cry::cry:

doetracks
11-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Very very sorry to hear. :(

fishing_flower
11-25-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm so sorry you are going to be losing him. :cry: But like you, I wouldn't want him to suffer. :cry:

Thank you to you and your wife for giving him your gift of love and care so he has someone who cares about him. I'm sure I can say that is from all us at Pawsitive Match.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Dakota369
11-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Sorry to hear that things did not work to a positive end. As an experienced foster home (18 dogs over the course of about two and a 1/2 years) I know how each one will touch your heart. Take solace in the fact that you have given him some love and affection. (I am sure that he would have never known of it otherwise)In comparison to what he would of faced without you and your wife stepping up ......... well I am sure I don't have to go into details.......everyone here knows that mother nature is cruel.
Whatever you do as mentioned earlier do not try and find another Diesel, keep his memory alive by passing on his name but know that each and every dog has a unique and different personality. Treasure your memories of him as he is your first (albeit not wonderful) experience and it really does highlight what fostering and dog rescue is all about. You have begun a wonderful part of your life, and you have learn't unfortunately early that it is not always an easy road. The good part is when your next foster dog goes to a great home, and you see him/her at the dog park growing and learning and contributing what only a dog can to some lucky persons life and feel the satisfaction of doing something to combat the callous disregard for animal care which is prevalent in our and many societies, you will find that is your reward. In the long run it is worth it.

A big thanks to you and your wife for taking on this challenge and I can only hope that in the future you continue, and make the time to save many more lives.

ex811
11-25-2009, 10:14 AM
My heartfelt Condolenses Albertadiver (and Family).
I just made that trip to the Vet with my hunten buddy of 12 yrs...be strong, and buy lots of Klennex.

curler2
11-25-2009, 12:17 PM
I am proud to be part of the same forum as you and yours.There are animals who are in need and you responded.I would only hope that when my time comes I am shown the same kind of unconditional love you gave to Diesel.Hold your heads high as God has a special place for people who share like you guys have.

Albertadiver
11-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Well... just spent the last 3+ hours at the vet. We had made the appointment for 8:00pm to put Diesel down yesterday. When I got home from work, my wife was upset (as I was too) and just wanted to get it over with as Diesel had been crying most of the afternoon again.

So I called, and we moved things up to 6:30.

Five minutes later, the vet that had seen him the first two times called and said that the results came in, and he does NOT have Distemper.

Well, it's been such an emotional rollercoaster that I didn't want to get my hopes up, but he said bring Diesel in anyhow.

So we spent the last few hours at the clinic while more bloodwork was done, and an overall exam.

He is a bit anemic, and he feels that the twitch may be some nerve damage which could likely repair itself. He said the trigger that had him doubtful of distemper was that the twitching was on the extremities and not full body seizures.

We took video of the typical twitching, and our vet will be in touch with a friend of his who specializes in canine neurology.

The furr ball isn't out of the woods yet, but his situation went from being 30minutes from being put to sleep to a potential recovery.

He's still whiney, and uncomfortable, but we have some different meds to help sedate him and get his rest. It's already kicking in, so here's hoping little buddy gets some sleep tonight.

Again, thank you all for your kind words. This has been one hell of an adventure so far!

Here's some pics I took to remember him by yesterday. Just maybe we'll have more... He's a lucky little reserve puppy!

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_5217.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_5230.jpg

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_5232.jpg

rhuntley12
11-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Wow, I hope everything works out for you. I really hope the little guy comes out of it. He is so damn cute and looks like a bundle of fun.

fishing_flower
11-26-2009, 07:50 AM
That is the most wonderful news!:D:D:D:D:D
I'm so happy for Diesel and you and your wife! I don't always get the news from rescue people until after the fact. So reading this this morning has just been the best news!!!!!
I know he's not out of the woods yet, but it sounds like a step in the right direction!

Big Bull
11-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey AD, that is great news! He looks a lot like our labasset border pit that we got from our vet 3 years ago, and he has been just a wonderful dog and best friend. I hope Diesel continues to improve with the love and care that you are giving him.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o145/BigBullAdventures/IMG_2524.jpg

Albertadiver
11-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Again, thanks guys

Here is a link to two videos showing the progression of this twitch. It is sad to see him like this, and I hope the vets can help. He is on medication to sedate him to help him rest, but it isn't doing much to reduce the symptoms as you can see.

http://jbcreative.posterous.com/

RIVERDRIFTER
11-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Thats tough to watch, glad its not distemper as thats a rough way to go. I had a lab that got distemper, within a week he couldn't move his back legs and had twitches and scratched a sport on his nose raw. Still kills me to think about that. I Pray that your dog recovers, its amazing how attached a human can become to a 4 legged friend.

Albertadiver
11-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Thats tough to watch, glad its not distemper as thats a rough way to go. I had a lab that got distemper, within a week he couldn't move his back legs and had twitches and scratched a sport on his nose raw. Still kills me to think about that. I Pray that your dog recovers, its amazing how attached a human can become to a 4 legged friend.

Well... I have never been totally convinced that it wasn't / isn't distemper. The Vet we're dealing with is great, and the test that was done showed he didn't have ACTIVE Distemper, but this may be a case of the damage already being done. So we're doing a biopsy to send to saskatoon tommorrow, and see where things are going. Apparantley the biopsy will show if he has ever had distemper.

At some point, I have to wonder is it worth spending so much $ on a puppy that has had such a rough start, but I do feel better knowing that we've done everything we can. The rescue group is phenomenal and is devoted to at least trying everything before we make a call.

So at this point, the bad news is it appears the twitching has spread. This could be a bad day, or it could be an expansion of the damage. Either way it is increasing his discomfort. It could very well be permanent damage.

On the other hand...

The good news is that he has a very healthy appetite and disposition. He loves playing, and we just spent some time outside. He just saw his first snowfall today and thought it was pretty fun stuff! We uploaded another video of him here playing. Just don't mind the fat guy in flannel pajamas... that's not me :innocent:

http://jbcreative.posterous.com/

TreeGuy
11-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Diver, I did some trees for a guy last summer who was proud to admit he had spent over $36,000 on his 6 year old German Shepard. His wife left him over it. Please don't get caught up in that same downward fiscal spiral over a pup you've only had for a short time. Diesel is NOT improving dude. Vet clinics are for profit businesses, of course there will always be one more test. End it....... for all of your sakes.:(

Tree

Albertadiver
11-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Diver, I did some trees for a guy last summer who was proud to admit he had spent over $36,000 on his 6 year old German Shepard. His wife left him over it. Please don't get caught up in that same downward fiscal spiral over a pup you've only had for a short time. Diesel is NOT improving dude. Vet clinics are for profit businesses, of course there will always be one more test. End it....... for all of your sakes.:(

Tree

I don't think he's improving either. I should clarify that other than a bit of food and some treats, Diesel has cost us nothing. The Rescue group has fully funded everything, and at the end of the day, all of this is their call.

I'm attached to the guy, but not irrational. Your advice is sound Tree, and I hope others in similar situations to ours take that advice.

Sometimes people's emotions totally override logic and sanity.

Albertadiver
12-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Well, feel like I should give an update here. I’ve had quite a few PM’s in the last week or so. Tonight we went to get some different meds to help Diesel sleep, but with the Vet it was evident that the symptoms had got worse, and over the last two days especially he was not getting rest, it was suffering.

So my wife and I let him finally get some rest. He was a sweet dog, and we feel very happy we got to be his family for this short while. As a reserve dog, he could have very well starved or froze to death. With us he got to feel loved.

I knew this was coming for some time, but we feel good about our decision, in at least giving him an opportunity to beat it, but it was too much for him. We feel like we did our best, and that makes it much easier to deal with.

Thanks for all the advice previously.

The Fisherman Guy
12-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Terribly sorry to hear about the loss of Diesel ABD. You and your wife made him very happy, and gave him something that he never imagined. A place to be loved, and call home.

Best of luck in the coming days, keep your chin up pal.

Albertadiver
12-11-2009, 12:01 AM
I know how much you care for your little dude there TheFishermanGuy, having briefly met him I know you'll have a devoted little best friend. Appreciate the comments sir.

I will never forget Diesel, and I took a bunch of pics and video's knowing that this was pretty much going to end up this way. He was a special dog, and I will remember him as such.

From this experiance I've realized how important foster families are for dogs. There are far more dogs than those that find forever homes. Many are put down, or neglected in some shape or form.

I don't know if we're going to foster in the near future again, but I do know that if we get a puppy, I will be sure it isn't from a puppy mill. It will be from a reputable source, or perhaps we can rescue one. In the future, I'm sure we'll be a foster home again. I just REALLY hope it's not a similar experiance to the one we just had. It was tough and rewarding all at the same time. It would be so rewarding to foster and place a pup in a forever home where he could flourish.

Kingfisher
12-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Sorry to hear the end result. It's never an easy decision to put any animal down.

Dogs always add so much to our lives. I'm sure you and your wife will give another pooch a lifetime of love. They give so much back and ask so little.

A home with out a dog is just a house.

Rob

rhuntley12
12-11-2009, 08:02 AM
:lol:Sorry to hear the end result. It's never an easy decision to put any animal down.

Dogs always add so much to our lives. I'm sure you and your wife will give another pooch a lifetime of love. They give so much back and ask so little.

A home with out a dog is just a house.

Rob

X2, took the words right out of my mouth, although worded much better. Once you have a dog life without one isn't near as rich.

When we eventually get our 4th dog(I'm sure it'll happen once #3 grows up, 4 is the limit though!) I really want to adopt as there are so many great dogs needing a home. We've talked about fostering next summer and might try it though it's guaranteed the first dog we foster probably will end up adopted by us.:lol:

fishing_flower
12-11-2009, 08:11 AM
I know how much you care for your little dude there TheFishermanGuy, having briefly met him I know you'll have a devoted little best friend. Appreciate the comments sir.

I will never forget Diesel, and I took a bunch of pics and video's knowing that this was pretty much going to end up this way. He was a special dog, and I will remember him as such.

From this experiance I've realized how important foster families are for dogs. There are far more dogs than those that find forever homes. Many are put down, or neglected in some shape or form.

I don't know if we're going to foster in the near future again, but I do know that if we get a puppy, I will be sure it isn't from a puppy mill. It will be from a reputable source, or perhaps we can rescue one. In the future, I'm sure we'll be a foster home again. I just REALLY hope it's not a similar experiance to the one we just had. It was tough and rewarding all at the same time. It would be so rewarding to foster and place a pup in a forever home where he could flourish.

I'm so glad Diesel had you and your wife, his life was sadly short, but you made such a big difference for that little guy. :cry: I'm glad to hear that you will foster again, when ready. There seems to never be enough foster homes out there.

doetracks
12-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Sorry to hear about Diesel. I hope you two find another pooch soon..

marlin1
12-11-2009, 08:35 AM
sorry for your loss, I'm sure you gave Diesel a better end than he would have suffered. I have a reserve dog thats about 7 now . He's got a bum knee but I dread the day he goes .

DarkAisling
12-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm so sorry that your first experiance fostering a pup didn't turn out the way one hopes.

Grizzly Adams
12-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Sympathies from here, but you're not the first person to go through this, or unfortunately, the last.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=23053&highlight=distemper

Grizz