PDA

View Full Version : portable deep fryers

Sundancefisher
11-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I was thinking of getting one and starting to make fish and chips with fish from the coast and perch. How do these things work? Such as do you reuse the oil...and if so where does someone store the oil to keep it from going bad? Also are they easy to clean and can they be used outdoors?

Thanks for the insights...

Sun

The Fisherman Guy
11-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Hello Sun,

I purchased a portable propane turkey deep fryer this year for thanksgiving. With the setup that I purchased for $160 from barbeques galore, I am able to boil lobster, corn, shrimp, potatoes, anything!

I can also use it with oil, of course, to deep fry anything. I would recommend that the setup that you get has a drain tap. That way you can safely drain the oil, and filter it if you like into it's original receptacle. Oil can be reused, just make sure to use a funnel and coffee filter to strain out the grits as they will decompose. With the tap, you can adjust the flow to accurately, and safely do this.

My setup also has a safety feature which turns the gas off if not monitored every 15 minutes.

The stand can also be used as a stove, if desired to use a frying pan or any other pot/pan configuration. Some of the lower priced options for deep fryers have pretty flimsy stands. With 20lbs of 350 degree vegetable oil over a flame, I wanted a very sturdy setup. I am very happy with my purchase, and would recommend it to anyone!