PDA

View Full Version : We Found Ice - Let the Season Begin

ULTRAlite
11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Most of the potholes west of us have 5-6" of ice. Jigged up some bows on the Ultralight gear using pink and purple marabou jigs.

Check it out...

VIDEO (http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_video.php?viewkey=8db9f54e70c67048d32e)

Hope you enjoy - remember to be safe out there, it's still early season :)

DANOMAN
11-23-2009, 04:04 PM
some sweet Rainbows there !! good job!
I was watching you walk with your auger and using it as a walking stick!
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkk!!

STEP AWAY FROM MY AUGERRRRRRRRRRR~!:D:D

Jims71duster
11-23-2009, 07:25 PM
can a guy ask what lake that is?????

ULTRAlite
11-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Sorry Jim, can't divulge... but I can't stop someone else from posting. We had to do our homework and plenty of hiking to find this one. However there should be a few potholes to the west that have safe ice. Elbow Lake, Sibbald Meadows Pond, Grotto, and Sibbald Lake would be worth a try. Just make sure to test the ice every few steps till you know your good.

Good luck to everyone in the 2010 Hardwater Season - and play safe.

Sundancefisher
11-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Most of the potholes west of us have 5-6" of ice. Jigged up some bows on the Ultralight gear using pink and purple marabou jigs.

Check it out...

VIDEO (http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_video.php?viewkey=8db9f54e70c67048d32e)

Hope you enjoy - remember to be safe out there, it's still early season :)

Very nice artsy video... Now I just need you out videoing for us! Wish you were around back when I got married :D

Cheers

Sun

Hunter Trav
11-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Damn you and your early ice fishing...LOL J/K Definately envious of you getting out on the ice already, and you shoot some cool video to go with it. Thats just adding insult to injury my friend...LOL Thanks for sharing that with us. :D

Newspeak
11-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Great Video, looks like a fun time!

I wouldn't worry too much DANOMAN, I could see the protective cap on the blades, not going to dull too much with that on...

baitfisher83
11-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Makes me wish i had access to ice fishing..lol

Mish
11-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Makes me wish i had access to ice fishing..lol

Why don't you?

Nice vid, looks like you guys had a hell of a day.

Sir. Kenneth
11-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Sweet video! What did you shoot that on?

baitfisher83
11-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Why don't you?

Nice vid, looks like you guys had a hell of a day.

no car, and no ice fishing gear, well i have an ice rod but thats about it

Mish
11-24-2009, 03:10 PM

Rod is all you need. Will try and get you out this season. Can always use another teammate against the boys.

baitfisher83
11-24-2009, 03:47 PM
lol sounds good, i like outfishing guys, do that to my dad all the time...lol

slingshotz
11-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Man I'm getting itchy feet waiting for the hard water. I hate driving 1+ hours somewhere trying to find what is frozen over this early in the year. Southern AB sucks for not having hundreds of lakes in a small area to drive to for options.

I don't you can't tell the lake, but can you at least say how you do your homework to find these places? Is there some government website that lists ice thicknesses or something like that? The whole reason why I'm here is to pick up tips and "homework".

Nice video BTW :wave:

deerassassin
11-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Man I'm getting itchy feet waiting for the hard water. I hate driving 1+ hours somewhere trying to find what is frozen over this early in the year. Southern AB sucks for not having hundreds of lakes in a small area to drive to for options.

I don't you can't tell the lake, but can you at least say how you do your homework to find these places? Is there some government website that lists ice thicknesses or something like that? The whole reason why I'm here is to pick up tips and "homework".

if you think driving one hour is bad around edmonton we usually have to drive 3 or more to find somewhere decent.

Mish
11-24-2009, 04:30 PM
I hate driving 1+ hours somewhere trying to find what is frozen over this early in the year.

You're in the wrong province, then :)

DANOMAN
11-24-2009, 04:34 PM
well guess what newspeak if you go look at the vid again you will see after the first hole he drills watch what he does after he pulls the auger out.
BANGS THE BLADES ON THE ICE.................ouch!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek :

WayneChristie
11-24-2009, 05:35 PM
well, Im in Southern Alberta, and I have water in 20 minutes or less in any direction :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2::D its still water tho, thats the problem, not ice yet

Bud Leight
11-24-2009, 10:21 PM

You're hot.

ULTRAlite
11-25-2009, 12:11 AM

Thanks - no government websites unfortunately... just did alot of driving the first few years I lived in Calgary... You begin to notice which ponds freeze over the quickest. Chat with people when your out fishing, most folks are more willing to share info when it's not being posted on an open forum. Do some hike in fishing in the summer to scout early ice possibilities. We use Google Earth as a tool as well. Last but not least, I keep a fishing journal to keep track of freeze dates, success rates, temperatures, etc.

Newspeak
11-25-2009, 10:24 AM
well guess what newspeak if you go look at the vid again you will see after the first hole he drills watch what he does after he pulls the auger out.
BANGS THE BLADES ON THE ICE.................ouch!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek :

I missed that. You have sharper eyes for auger abuse than I........

troutpirate
11-25-2009, 10:52 AM
if you think driving one hour is bad around edmonton we usually have to drive 3 or more to find somewhere decent.

your just too lazy to do your homework. pick up a book:tongue2:

deerassassin
11-25-2009, 12:48 PM
your just too lazy to do your homework. pick up a book:tongue2:

sorry I but i refuse to waste my time with pigoean lake where you could stick your dink in the water and pull out a 9 inch walleye while some ******* water skier runs into your boat:lol::lol: I like to go where nobody else goes

Izumi
11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
sorry I but i refuse to waste my time with pigoean lake where you could stick your dink in the water and pull out a 9 inch walleye while some ******* water skier runs into your boat:lol::lol: I like to go where nobody else goes

Is that really doing any home work or going with the obvious?

You don't have to drive three hours but 45 minutes might not cut it if you want solitude.

searay
11-25-2009, 02:29 PM

Bahahaha.... this cracked me up !!! :lol:

deerassassin
11-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Is that really doing any home work or going with the obvious?

You don't have to drive three hours but 45 minutes might not cut it if you want solitude.

to fish within 45 minutes of edmonton you need a boat and i aint got one. plus like i said to many people for me

deerassassin
11-26-2009, 01:06 PM
oops sorry izumi i miss interperutted your post:o

huntinggr81
11-27-2009, 09:36 PM
That is an excellent hardwater video!

ULTRAlite
11-29-2009, 08:13 PM
In order to find less folks, you just need to do what most are not willing to. Be it driving 3 hours, or maybe doing a hike in, or perhaps getting out there when everybody else wants to be home (like last Friday from what I hear in Calgary!!) or maybe taking a day off / switching days so you can get out during the weekdays (Tuesdays are great!). We enjoy the peace and quiet as well so we often employ one or all of these strategies. Can't get away from it all the time though - just gotta embrace it. Get out and meet some fellow ice fishers.

That is an excellent hardwater video!

mtbkr
12-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi, new guy here.

Outstanding video! Makes me wanna get out right away!

I was hoping to do some hardwater catch and release somewhere in the Calgary-Canmore area. Does anyone know if Grotto Pond would be worth a try? I have no idea if it winterkills or if it gets fished out by summer's end..
Thanks!