PDA

View Full Version : Opinions?

lynx_are_cool
11-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while but its getting busy here at school. I was wondering what you all thought of this.

In one of my classes we were talking about education of people to help them understand some of the environmental issues in the world today. I think the best way to do this is to bring in a mandatory outdoors class from grade 1 to grade 9 and have optional courses (with increased range of activities) in high school.

I wonder what you think of this and some ideas on what courses could be. i was thinking in grade 1 & 2 it could be like leaf collecting trips and small things like that and in high school they could offer hunting/fishing and big trips like backpacking and canoeing

What are your thoughts?

Lynx

theycallmeNoah
11-24-2009, 10:43 AM
When I was in grades 11 and 12 I went to Bamfield and it changed my life. It was optional and expensive but worth every penny. Those trips were the only reason why I went to university right our of high school (not my original plan)

I've heard that alot of schools don't offer it anymore due to expense and legalities.

As a parent, I would support more outdoor education/activities.

Scott N
11-24-2009, 10:49 AM
When I was in Jr. High (around 1980 /81), there was an optional course that I took, Outdoor Education, which covered fishing, hunting, and other outdoor activities. I don't have kids, so I don't know what kinds of courses are being taught now, but Outdoor Ed. was one of my favourite courses.

tbone616
11-24-2009, 10:54 AM
It's been a while since i was in school but when i was we had trips for biology class in high school which sound similar to what your discribing. We had a canoe trip down the North Sask, we did the West Coast Trail and a few other day outings. Now like i say this 10 years ago but do they not offer these kind of trips anymore? Mind you there was nothing fishing or hunting specific as this can be a grey area for some folks i suppose. I do like the idea of having more environmental education in the school system but i think a strong argument you may encounter is that the kids should just join scouts or the forest ranger program (sorry can't remember the name of there program) but a little nudge in the actual school system would be a great idea i think.

Okotokian
11-24-2009, 12:33 PM
In one of my classes we were talking about education of people to help them understand some of the environmental issues in the world today. I think the best way to do this is to bring in a mandatory outdoors class from grade 1 to grade 9 and have optional courses (with increased range of activities) in high school.

I wonder what you think of this and some ideas on what courses could be. i was thinking in grade 1 & 2 it could be like leaf collecting trips and small things like that and in high school they could offer hunting/fishing and big trips like backpacking and canoeing

What are your thoughts?

Lynx

Much of what would be in the course is already covered in Science curriculum, and there are outdoor education options in many high schools and junior highs. I think mandatory courses from grades 1 to 9 just on outdoor education is overkill. There are just too many other things that need to be covered in a day or week. Can barely fit a couple classes of phys ed in per week for fat little blobs who only exercise their thumbs with x-box these days.

Should wildlife management and the impact of hunting be included in science curriculum at some point? Sure.

Hunting option in high school? NEVER going to happen. First of all school board lawyers would never allow it... kids... guns... no way. Secondly, too much of a political hot potato. What school administrator is going to want to have to deal with battling parents, PETA, the press. It would be a circus. Now fishing is already done. School my son went to had outdoor ed and a fly fishing club.

Geezle
11-25-2009, 07:03 AM
When I was in Jr. High (around 1980 /81), there was an optional course that I took, Outdoor Education, which covered fishing, hunting, and other outdoor activities. I don't have kids, so I don't know what kinds of courses are being taught now, but Outdoor Ed. was one of my favourite courses.

X2 on the optional outdoor ed course.

When I was in high school we had an after school outdoor ed course that was a lot of fun. It was pretty small, but we managed at least 2 good trips a year...usually camping, biking, canoe trips etc and always had a blast. Something like this I think should definitely be available for those who are interested in it.

I don't know about making something like what you're suggesting mandatory however. Like Okotokian said, there are already too many things that are getting pushed to the back burner due to funding issues etc. that an outdoor probably just wouldn't make the cut.

If anything maybe a little more of what you're thinking of could be brought into the science curriculum?

mtylerb
11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
... Hunting option in high school? NEVER going to happen. First of all school board lawyers would never allow it... kids... guns... no way. Secondly, too much of a political hot potato. What school administrator is going to want to have to deal with battling parents, PETA, the press. It would be a circus. ...

That makes me want to start my own school. :evilgrin:

doetracks
11-25-2009, 01:56 PM
I think Scott N and I went to the same jr. high. We had an Outdoor Ed class as well, went skiing out in K-Country, hiking, backpacking.. but no fishing or hunting.

The school system in the Yukon offers a LOT of outdoor curriculum, but the outdoors is a HUGE way of life there. Not saying it isn't here (certainly IS) but Okotokian is probably right in that kids and guns would be a hot potato. Too bad, too.. I think a lot of kids would benefit immensely.

TheClash
11-25-2009, 03:32 PM
as a future educator i have some opinions on this...as for making it MANDATORY nope i do not agree with that...just as i don't think making accounting mandatory even though most people will someday have to budget their money. but having more options i am all for it.

the school i went to had an outdoor ed/hunters ed class in junior high.....the teacher has since retired and no one is teaching it anymore (they have an outdoor ed program but no hunter training anymore) i am hoping to finish my degrees and get back to my school and start it up again. but no, not mandatory.

Mish
11-25-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure that forcing people to hunt and fish would be a good idea. Optional courses would be ideal. But I'm not sure how plausible it would be. When I was in grade 10, the grade 12 kids got to go on a 5 day/4 night camping trip. By the time I got to grade 12 it had been rolled back to a 2 day/1 night stay in a hostel. Now, from what I hear from friend's younger siblings, it has turned into a one day hike around Fish Creek. Seems with all the legal issues, the school board is cutting back on field trips.