PDA

View Full Version : Hours on an ATV

searay
11-25-2009, 10:26 AM
If a polaris ranger had 1500 hours on it in say 5 years and was apparently used around a farm, would you be concerned that it had too high of mileage? Just curious on some thoughts. Does anyone have any idea what 1500 hours would equal in kms ?

Thanks

sheepguide
11-25-2009, 10:48 AM
If a polaris ranger had 1500 hours on it in say 5 years and was apparently used around a farm, would you be concerned that it had too high of mileage? Just curious on some thoughts. Does anyone have any idea what 1500 hours would equal in kms ?

Thanks

. Some will be idle time to but if you averaged 10km/hr(which isnt very fast) thats 15000kms ! Some times you would be faster some slower but 10kms would be fair for an average(but probably on the low side). Cut out a few hours idle time its still probably over 12000kms min. I average over 4000 kms/yr on my quad and thats using it LOTS camping hunting fishing(some trips are 80-100km/day) and around the farm. The least amount is around the farm as its not long distance.

tbosch
11-25-2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks

Fairly low km's for 5 years. I do average of 1000kms / year.

sheepguide
11-25-2009, 11:16 AM
The only quad of 5 around our place with an hour meter has 674hrs and 4219kms if that helps you. Its an 05 and we got it used so dont know exactly how it was rode and how fast. But by the undercarrage it was babied. No paint wore off the a arms and looks like new overall. I havent got a chance to use it gunna build a real quad out of it this winter. Not sure if any of this will help you out at all.

Bushmaster
11-25-2009, 11:51 AM
A biiger concern would be HOW it was driven and how it was maintained. My first quad had 8000 miles on it when I bought it and it still runs like a top. Got over 11,000 miles on it now....

searay
11-25-2009, 02:23 PM
. Some will be idle time to but if you averaged 10km/hr(which isnt very fast) thats 15000kms ! Some times you would be faster some slower but 10kms would be fair for an average(but probably on the low side). Cut out a few hours idle time its still probably over 12000kms min. I average over 4000 kms/yr on my quad and thats using it LOTS camping hunting fishing(some trips are 80-100km/day) and around the farm. The least amount is around the farm as its not long distance.

Thanks for the insight I appreciate it.. I do think it may have too many hours for my liking..

600twin
11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I think mine has 247 hrs and something like 2000 kms and it's 6 yrs old.

sheepguide
11-25-2009, 06:55 PM
I think mine has 247 hrs and something like 2000 kms and it's 6 yrs old.

WoW That would be a slow year for our group. Should be in great shape.

2fast4uRuss
11-25-2009, 08:19 PM
anytime the key is on the hour clock is going also.. Could be he leaves it on lots so the cooling fan cools the rad when he is stopped also or that he forgot the key on here and there and only shut the engine off with the kill switch. Just something to keep in mind.. I would still check it out I have seen some higher KM machines in alot better shape then some with a few hundred......

sheepguide
11-25-2009, 08:50 PM
anytime the key is on the hour clock is going also.. Could be he leaves it on lots so the cooling fan cools the rad when he is stopped also or that he forgot the key on here and there and only shut the engine off with the kill switch. Just something to keep in mind.. I would still check it out I have seen some higher KM machines in alot better shape then some with a few hundred......

If its like the polaris quads the kill switch kills all power just like the key. Doesnt leave the clock running.

2fast4uRuss
11-25-2009, 09:19 PM
If its like the polaris quads the kill switch kills all power just like the key. Doesnt leave the clock running.

Ok thats good thinking on there part my Yamaha Rhino runs the hour meter with power to the key. My Can am and Polaris I have not yet noticed.