PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Problem

artie
11-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I purchased an american standards large flush toilet last year. Its the one with the large flapper valve assembly. Well it leaked right from the geat go and I soon found that the local stores do not carry the large flapper valve. So I called American Standards and they sent me a new flapper but it still leaked. So they sent me a new flapper valve assembly but that also still leaks into the bowl. I put the red dye into the tank and soon the bowl is full of red dye. Has anyone out there found a fix for that toilet or a large after market flapper valve assembly that will work in an american standards toilet?

Knownonscents
11-25-2009, 04:55 PM
It may not be the flapper. It could be the seat perhaps. have you used any chemicals in the toilet? I have seen the plastic seats deteriorate over time.
Also, may be silly but your water level is not too high and going into the overflow is it?

hawken
11-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Call a Plumber

Albertadiver
11-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Cabbertosser would have some good tips for you. I'd suggest you PM him.

If you end up getting a whole new toilet, I strongly reccomend the Champion. 23 golf balls in one flush! :lol:

CaberTosser
11-25-2009, 10:50 PM
To expand on what Knownonscents mentioned, ar you sure its the flapper to begin with? The water level could be set too high ( it should shut off about an inch below the top of the overflow tube) and the toilet runs as a result. Another possibility is that the float valve is not shutting off completely, again resulting in water running over the top of the overflow tube. Yet another possibility is the flapper chain to the trip lever (flush handle), if the chain or strap does not have enough slack, it could be preventing the flapper from closing entirely.

If you're in Calgary and intent on fixing it yourself, you might try hitting a plumbing wholesaler such as Cronkhite where you can peruse the repair parts section and perhaps get a hand finding what you want in a flush valve. Personally it sounds a bit odd that you'd have the same problem even with new parts, unless something has been maladjusted.

Look at AlbertaDiver; pimping me out while I'm already writing my reply:wave:. I think this is at least the 3rd plumbing thread where he's chimed in to PM me while I'm already writing my answer:D Quick on the draw he is!

Albertadiver
11-25-2009, 10:58 PM
:D Quick on the draw he is!

My wife says the same thing... sigh... Oh well, at least the champion will handle a BIG job when needed... :lol:

moosemad
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
I've been searching for "The Fergussen" (Al Bundy's toilet).:lol:

rhuntley12
11-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Maybe push down on the flapper and then see if it's still leaking while you are putting pressure on it?

tonyflyfish
11-26-2009, 05:03 PM
what city? i can fix that sucker if you are near st albert/edmonton (city not in the grey cup and no hockey team either)